No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If laundry is an issue, maybe they're just going through whatever clothes they have left.

Which means, of course, there will come a point when they have no clothes left. Won't that be a pity?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      If laundry is an issue, maybe they're just going through whatever clothes they have left.

Which means, of course, there will come a point when they have no clothes left. Won't that be a pity?
      Then Sheppard and McKay will run out of clothing first. They're the ones who always end up in the infirmary. Their clothing must take a beating along with the boys themselves.

Since we saw McKay get both his shirt and jacket cut in The Storm, that would be another excuse for him to give up that beige uniform and go with the colors Sheppard and Ford wear.

I'm sure their must be some Ancient version of washing machines and dryers somewhere in Atlantis. Unless the Ancients wore non-smudging Teflon clothing (dirt slides right off). Water wouldn't be a issue, but laundry detergent must be on the Atlantis trading list as well as food. Or maybe they have sonic washing machines like those gizmos used to clean jewlery.

This is just as mundane a topic as wondering if Atlantis has public restrooms.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
        I thought it was kind of amusing, myself.

Comment

The McKay/Hewlett thunk subscribers won't complain there for sure.
          And funnily enough hewlett isn't shy about such appearances either judging on rest of his films.

But I'm still sure that the Weir and Mckay similar uniforms denote some change, not just unpacking - since he does have the darkgrey/blue jacket replacing his previous beige/blue one and it was introduced after the storm/eye two parter. i guess few agree. Wish it could be asked of the writers/producers for a real definete answer.

Comment

I guess it's ok to talk about clothing if it isn't spoiler-ish about the episode.

I also noticed McKay wasn’t wearing his beige uniform in The Defiant One. Maybe the show is addressing my concern over his uniform color. Let me sneak a peak at the Sanctuary photos, the team is offworld in that episode, too. Yep, McKay isn’t in beige in this episode either. Good, he’s no longer a walking bull’s eye. Phew!

I don’t think the new shirts McKay and Weir have are any indication of a change in status. What change could it be? Weir is still the overall head of the expedition and McKay is still the head of the science teams.
            All I can say is that you people are extremely observant!
            I've always thought that the clothing is merely a reflection of a person's role in Atlantis (a la Star Trek).

And if McKay uses them?? With all that food he keeps chomping on?? I'm sure it must happen sometime. Otherwise he'll burst from manly bladder issues.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I thought it was kind of amusing, myself.
              Hmm, maybe I phrased that wrong. I meant that the subject was mundane, ordinary. An every day thing that we take for granted but isn't addressed on TV. Not that the discussion was mundane.

The big joke about Trek was always wondering where the head was on the Enterprise. I wonder about the public restrooms and the laundry facilities on Atlantis. I thought the cooking and kitchen washing up was mainly done by some of the military personnel since the military is trained in support staffing. Who knows who does the sweeping up. Maybe the air filtration system sucks up all the dust.

I want to see McKay's quarters. I think we've only seen Sheppard's and Ford's. And that could have been temporary quarters since that was in the early days before the Athosians moved to the mainland. I wonder if McKay would have a messy or a neat place. Some folks thought his apartment looked messy in Home, but I thought it was relatively not messy myself, not counting the dead houseplants and the magazines and newspapers and the half eaten package of still crunchy snack food on the couch. He didn't seem to have piles of stuff on the floor, although he did have crooked pictures on his wall and his books were piled rather haphazardly in the bookcase and on the tables.

Although why he would even have an apartment to go back to if no one knew if they were ever getting back to Earth is beyond me. I thought everyone would have boxed up their lives. But I guess that was the Mist messing with their minds. Having the place look like he just got back from a day at SGC instead of getting back from the Pegasus Galaxy. Hmm, now that I think about it, McKay must have been in Antartica for a while in preparation for the expedition. He really shouldn't have had an apartment to go back to.

Boy, did I ramble on or what?

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                The McKay/Hewlett thunk subscribers won't complain there for sure.
                And funnily enough hewlett isn't shy about such appearances either judging on rest of his films.
                Actually, it doesn't seem like McKay has an issue about lack of clothing either. In Home, when Weir came to his apartment, he answered the door without his pants on. He then invited her in and proceeded to put his pants on right in front of her, tucking his t-shirt in and zipping up. No hesitation, embarrasment or excuses on his part except just to relate the fact that he wasn't wearing any pants when she walked in.

Since this was all in McKay's head, he obviously didn't think Weir would have an issue with it, either.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Oh, can I play too? I think Rodney is the best thing about "Atlantis". He's a fascinating character--brillliant, sarcastic, funny and is courageous even when he's terrified.

And pretty. Very pretty. Here's one of my favorite pics: (I hope this looks okay, I'm new to posting in these forums!)

Comment

What an adorable picture! Too cute. Thanks for posting it!

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                    it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                    It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                    And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Awww....he can look SO cute...even if he *isn't*!

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                      Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                      ~CELLO!~
                      ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

You're EVERYWHERE, aren't you? :-P

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                        it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                        It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                        And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeGirl
                          You're EVERYWHERE, aren't you? :-P
                          What? ME??? No, am not....I just stick to my fave subjects....

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                          Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                          ~CELLO!~
                          ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

The big joke about Trek was always wondering where the head was on the Enterprise. I wonder about the public restrooms and the laundry facilities on Atlantis. I thought the cooking and kitchen washing up was mainly done by some of the military personnel since the military is trained in support staffing. Who knows who does the sweeping up. Maybe the air filtration system sucks up all the dust.

I want to see McKay's quarters. I think we've only seen Sheppard's and Ford's. And that could have been temporary quarters since that was in the early days before the Athosians moved to the mainland. I wonder if McKay would have a messy or a neat place. Some folks thought his apartment looked messy in Home, but I thought it was relatively not messy myself, not counting the dead houseplants and the magazines and newspapers and the half eaten package of still crunchy snack food on the couch. He didn't seem to have piles of stuff on the floor, although he did have crooked pictures on his wall and his books were piled rather haphazardly in the bookcase and on the tables.

Although why he would even have an apartment to go back to if no one knew if they were ever getting back to Earth is beyond me. I thought everyone would have boxed up their lives.
                            Boy, did I ramble on or what?
                            Wow, these housekeeping issues are really bothering you, aren't they? I thought most of us watched sci-fi for the action, aliens, special effects and story. I never once worried about the laundry or ablutions until I started I posting on the Forum. Now I'm thinking... do we have a hygiene problem on Atlantis...

Jokes aside, however, having the camera pan around Rodney's room once could be very instructive. It could give us insight into his charcter... what he does in his spare time when he's not fixing stuff, exchanging insults with Sheppard or shouting down his crew. He seems to be incessantly hungry so perhaps he has a personal stash of snacks underneathe his mattress. Maybe he is secretly working on a homemade ZPM... hmmm... the possibilities are endless.

Why don't we play this game of "what's in Rodney's room" or "Guess what's in Rodney's Room"? Could be fun...
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Betcha he has a box of MRE's hidden somewhere.

Comment

Betcha he has a box of MRE's hidden somewhere.
                                Laptop. Extra chocolate and power bars. Uh...

Hmm, this is kinda hard. They were only allowed to bring one personal item. Everybody's quarters would look about the same in its contents, just different in its arrangement. Oh, I guess they have their off duty clothes. Weir certainly seems to have a lot of clothes, in contrast with Teyla, who only seems to have one top.

I don't think the scientists should be allowed to take bits of their work back to their quarters, although I would think they could type up their reports back in their rooms, if they really wanted to bring their work home with them.

Have we pondered what would be McKay's personal item? I vote for a hermetically sealed tin of fresh coffee beans. Or maybe an electronic keyboard, with headphones, because he never did give up playing the piano, even though his piano teacher crushed his hopes of actually being any good at it.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X