No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, can we talk about episodes even if it is not that scheduled week? I really want to discuss Rising, but I will not be able to watch them until Monday.

Comment

Sure. no probs
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Will we continue with this rewatch or??
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
          I want to!

Comment

We shall continue then

Anyhoo...just over half an hour before Week 1 of the rewatch is over for me, and I managed to rectify my lack of Rising icons

sigpic

Comment

So sorry! I watched Rising yesterday, but I didn’t really have the time to post yesterday.

Okay, Rising! I can’t help but feel it’s quite obvious in these two episodes that the writers first had another character in mind for Hewlett. I feel like it’s not really exactly the Rodney we know yet here. Of course that changes in the very next episode. But in Rising I didn’t even notice him very much when I watched it the first time.

Well...anyone else watched Rising yet? I did as we have a houseguest for the next couple of days so I might not get a chance to watch it later...Here's some observations:

1. Ah that sense of wonder when we first see Atlantis! I got so excited the first time I saw this! The vfx in Atlantis still rivals those on most shows today.
              2. Rodney's first line - “Carson, get back here.”
              3. That orange fleece.
              4. Aw...Rodney's disappointment at not having ATA.
              5. Yeah McKay, great plan getting Beckett to sit in the chair...In saying that it's how Sheppard ends up getting read into the program in the first place!
              6. Quick aside – I still don't think Rainbow Franks has aged a day since this was made.
              7. Rodney doesn't look overly thrilled at the prospect of going to Atlantis when Daniel suggests it.
              8. Zed-PM...And hand gestures
              9. Weir says every member of her team is prepared to make a one-way trip to Atlantis. Rodney looks less than happy at that!
              10. Did McKay already meet Sheppard on his way to the base? He already knows that Sheppard's a Major. I wonder if Sheppard was McKay's taxi's to the base lol
              11. Poor Rodney, giving up his cat.
              12. That shirt.
              13. His first genuine smile is when the ZPM rig lights up
              14. Rodney looks like he's bricking it when the gate's dialing
              15. And looks a bit panicky on Atlantis after the gate shuts down
              16. Even Dr-I'm-not-impressed-by-the-Stargate is amazed by his first glimpse of the city
              17. Rodney the doom merchant... “If we don't stop what we're doing right now we're dead!”
              18. Aside - Who the heck was in charge of hair for this episode?
              19. Weir's pretty indecisive over what to do when the shield's going to collapse...a level-headed Rodney keeps her in check. First sign that Rodney under pressure is the best Rodney.
              20. I will never get bored of watching Atlantis rise
              21. Another aside – you'd think a substantial chunk of the expedition were Canadian...I've counted a number of people wearing Canadian flags. Think I might go back at some point and count them all.
              22. The most irksome blooper of Rising – when Sheppard gates in with the Athosians there's no shaky cam, but there is before and after.
              23. Yet another aside – Sheppard undergoes a personality transplant between parts 1 and 2 (but judging by things Joe's said at cons I think that was at the producer's request)
              24. From the outset Weir's about the only one who can stop Rodney from moaning without telling him to. The rest of the expedition have to tell him to zip it.
              25. Rodney's already on a first name basis with Carson, and obviously already knows Elizabeth and Peter through Antarctica.

Well...thoroughly enjoyed watching Rising again!!! Out of the three pilots for Stargate, I think Rising is easily the strongest. It's clear from this episode though that Rodney was originally going to be a supporting character, instead of co-lead like he would become pretty quickly. I also sense he (or rather the original character Ingram) was supposed to be Weir's confidante.
              You’re right, the special effects of Atlantis (especially the city itself) were really good and they got even better in later seasons.

Oh I always love it when Beckett has to sit in the chair! He always looks so scared.

I’t a really amusing thought, that Sheppard could have been McKay’s ride to the base. Never thought of that. But yes, it’s really possible.

What did Joe say regarding Sheppard's „personality transplant“ at cons? I never heard of that. But I am realizing I like Sheppard a lot better now the second time around. Don’t get me wrong, I did like him before too. But it took me a while to really get and appreciate his character. First I thought he would be kind of the typical, a bit boring hero. Very different to McKay who I loved right from the beginning. (Or at least from the third episode onwards, after I really noticed him.)

Good point about Rodney being on first name basis with Carson. I never realized that before either.

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
              The orange fleece of yumminess...
              http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps9sl3v0rv.jpg
              ...with hand gestures. And bonus smile.
              God, that picture is so adorable!!

I got really attached to the characters...I adore them. It was seamless casting as well - they all just gelled together. When I watch Rising though the thing that I'm most aware of is all the wasted potential. We never saw the actual city properly for one (though that was down to the budget), but there was so much left to explore character and plot-wise at the end...such a pity.
              I totally agree. I got so attached to the characters and I think that is the main reason why I love that show so much! McKay is definitely by far my favorite character. But I also especially love Sheppard, Beckett and Weir.

What do you mean, with we never saw the actual city? I felt like we saw the city all the time. (not that I’m complaining) But generally you’re right, there was a lot of wasted potential, especially in the end. I think maybe it would have been different if the show wasn’t cancelled.

They really screwed up with Ford...Rainbow played the character as best as he or any actor could have given how little they wrote for him...Ford could have been a really interesting character too.
              You’re right, the thing about Ford definitely wasn’t Rainbow’s fault. Still the way he was written I unfortunately didn’t care much for his character and actually thought it to be a good decision to replace him with Ronon. But I do feel sorry for Rainbow.

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post
              I am shamed to admit by season 5 I was McKayed out. There was one writer who really liked that character and made it focus on him too much to the point where I was sick of hearing about him. As I rewatch the early episodes it has just enough that you want to see him more but, doesn't shove it down your throat how awesome he is. I guess when we get to that point in the rewatch I'll see how I feel now about it now.
              Here I must respectfully disagree. For me there could never be enough McKay and I felt like in the first season he didn’t get as much screentime as he (in my opinion) should have.

I don't think I ever got McKay'd out, though he did get shoehorned into episodes that didn't fit his character *cough cough* Brainstorm *cough cough*
              I actually liked Brainstorm too. I’m probably one of the only ones who doesn’t hate the McKeller relationship. (I don’t love it either, but I’m okay with it.) I do admit it definitely could have been better written, but in general I found it rather cute. But yes in Brainstorm Keller can be a bit annoying (otherwise I don’t feel strongly against her character).
              Last edited by Rosehawk; 12 October 2015, 06:29 PM. Reason: Removed IMG tags

Comment

Yes, sure! Sorry again for my late participation.

Comment

I'm watching Rising right now! Rodney thoughts/observations (plus a few random ones),

1. Pretty Atlantis when it is fully functional and lit up.
                  2. Peter!!
                  3. Rodney and Carson: I too want to know how long they have known each other.
                  I do wonder though if the first name thing is because he looks down on medicine as inferior from other sciences.
                  3. He tends to think of himself as slightly superior to others. At least, this beginning Rodney does. Yet, he is genuinely upset about not having the gene. Does he think those with the gene are above everybody else?
                  4. I know I'm in the minority here, but I do not like the orange fleece.
                  5. Rodney's look at Elizabeth when she says she is afraid of the chair.
                  6. Rodney and Elizabeth not knowing Danielisms, LOL!
                  7. I still love that theme song...
                  8. Please allow me a moment to fangirl over John and Jack.
                  9. Rodney underestimates Carson's fear. "It will survive you."
                  10. Carson vs. Chair Part One. I love how Rodney tries to take charge in the situation.
                  11. I'm surprised how silent he was through the meeting.
                  12. I wish he could have kept the cat... And I love the red shirts he is wearing.
                  13. ZedPM...
                  14. "Excited" Rodney, lol.
                  15. "Spaceships" guy, ROFL!
                  16. His condensation to Colonel Sumner. Normally I would be upset, but Sumner deserved it.
                  17. "Using power..."
                  18. Rodney cannot be Chevron Guy.
                  19. Rodney is very optimistic compared to Elizabeth. Isn't that kind of strange?
                  20. Atlantis rising out of the ocean is still the most well done effects on television.
                  21. The introduction to space gates!!
                  22. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rodney name it Gateship in SG-1's final episode?
                  23. Did anyone ever explain the red haired Wraith?
                  24. Rodney being understanding about Elizabeth's guilt and worry. Rodney is already changing from SG-1 Rodney.
                  25. "You need to get out more."
                  26. Lemon Chicken...

Comment

Originally posted by Cil View Post
                    So sorry! I watched Rising yesterday, but I didn’t really have the time to post yesterday.

Okay, Rising! I can’t help but feel it’s quite obvious in these two episodes that the writers first had another character in mind for Hewlett. I feel like it’s not really exactly the Rodney we know yet here. Of course that changes in the very next episode. But in Rising I didn’t even notice him very much when I watched it the first time.
                    Yeah, I feel that Ingram was meant to be an older mentor-like figure for Weir.

You’re right, the special effects of Atlantis (especially the city itself) were really good and they got even better in later seasons.
                    Bad vfx really irks me, especially nowadays when there's no excuse, so I absolutely love how good the vfx in Atlantis is. There's a few dodgy shots, but overall it's outstanding given the show's budget. The shots look like a real labour of love for the teams making them.

Oh I always love it when Beckett has to sit in the chair! He always looks so scared.
                    Beckett and the Chair is love.

I’t a really amusing thought, that Sheppard could have been McKay’s ride to the base. Never thought of that. But yes, it’s really possible.
                    Yeah...I might go and look and see if there's fic about that...might write something myself!

What did Joe say regarding Sheppard's „personality transplant“ at cons? I never heard of that. But I am realizing I like Sheppard a lot better now the second time around. Don’t get me wrong, I did like him before too. But it took me a while to really get and appreciate his character. First I thought he would be kind of the typical, a bit boring hero. Very different to McKay who I loved right from the beginning. (Or at least from the third episode onwards, after I really noticed him.)
                    There's a video of Joe at a convention talking about how he was told not to play too serious a character, and then after Rising (maybe after filming part 1) he was told they didn't like how he was playing it and Sheppard show be a bit more serious given his situation. He is a bit flippant/smirky in part 1, especially in the gate room with Sumner.

Good point about Rodney being on first name basis with Carson. I never realized that before either.
                    I reckon they've known each other a while. Maybe Beckett worked at Area 51?

I totally agree. I got so attached to the characters and I think that is the main reason why I love that show so much! McKay is definitely by far my favorite character. But I also especially love Sheppard, Beckett and Weir.
                    They're my favourite characters too!!!

What do you mean, with we never saw the actual city? I felt like we saw the city all the time. (not that I’m complaining) But generally you’re right, there was a lot of wasted potential, especially in the end. I think maybe it would have been different if the show wasn’t cancelled.
                    I mean we saw, for budgetary reasons, the same few swing sets masquerading as all these various buildings, despite the fact their external architecture was very different. Some of the buildings had big glass walls but we never really saw evidence of this in the sets. And they spent very little time outside other than when Rodney said goodbye to Carson and when Sheppard and McKay had beer on the pier. It would have been good to have more scenes outside like maybe Sheppard and Ronon jogging out on the piers.

You’re right, the thing about Ford definitely wasn’t Rainbow’s fault. Still the way he was written I unfortunately didn’t care much for his character and actually thought it to be a good decision to replace him with Ronon. But I do feel sorry for Rainbow.
                    Rainbow didn't deserve what they did with his character, but he went on to be on The Listener which is a good show

I actually liked Brainstorm too. I’m probably one of the only ones who doesn’t hate the McKeller relationship. (I don’t love it either, but I’m okay with it.) I do admit it definitely could have been better written, but in general I found it rather cute. But yes in Brainstorm Keller can be a bit annoying (otherwise I don’t feel strongly against her character).
                    I'm not a big McKeller fan...I kind of tolerate it because it's clear that McKay is head over heels for her, but I generally find Keller to be a bit miserable and whiny. Brainstorm felt like a very contrived episode with a very flimsy plot. They could have had a far more high-octane earth based episode rather than having Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye acting like morons while everyone else stood around looking bored.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen1984 View Post
                      I'm watching Rising right now! Rodney thoughts/observations (plus a few random ones),

1. Pretty Atlantis when it is fully functional and lit up.
                      2. Peter!!
                      3. Rodney and Carson: I too want to know how long they have known each other.
                      I do wonder though if the first name thing is because he looks down on medicine as inferior from other sciences.
                      3. He tends to think of himself as slightly superior to others. At least, this beginning Rodney does. Yet, he is genuinely upset about not having the gene. Does he think those with the gene are above everybody else?
                      4. I know I'm in the minority here, but I do not like the orange fleece.
                      5. Rodney's look at Elizabeth when she says she is afraid of the chair.
                      6. Rodney and Elizabeth not knowing Danielisms, LOL!
                      7. I still love that theme song...
                      8. Please allow me a moment to fangirl over John and Jack.
                      9. Rodney underestimates Carson's fear. "It will survive you."
                      10. Carson vs. Chair Part One. I love how Rodney tries to take charge in the situation.
                      11. I'm surprised how silent he was through the meeting.
                      12. I wish he could have kept the cat... And I love the red shirts he is wearing.
                      13. ZedPM...
                      14. "Excited" Rodney, lol.
                      15. "Spaceships" guy, ROFL!
                      16. His condensation to Colonel Sumner. Normally I would be upset, but Sumner deserved it.
                      17. "Using power..."
                      18. Rodney cannot be Chevron Guy.
                      19. Rodney is very optimistic compared to Elizabeth. Isn't that kind of strange?
                      20. Atlantis rising out of the ocean is still the most well done effects on television.
                      21. The introduction to space gates!!
                      22. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rodney name it Gateship in SG-1's final episode?
                      23. Did anyone ever explain the red haired Wraith?
                      24. Rodney being understanding about Elizabeth's guilt and worry. Rodney is already changing from SG-1 Rodney.
                      25. "You need to get out more."
                      26. Lemon Chicken...
                      3. I think Rodney feels a certain amount of entitlement about the gene, almost like he's done all this work so he must have earnt it. He doesn't look to happy when Sheppard just rocks up and can use the chair like a pro!
                      12. Me too...In the Legacy books by Fandemonium he gets a cat and takes it to Atlantis
                      15. Yeah...that guy played the part of giddy nerd to a tee
                      20. Definitely...my eyes popped out of my head when I saw that on TV for the first time.
                      21. "Well there goes that MALP."
                      22. He named it Gateship in Moebius
                      23. The Queens have different hair colours. There's a redheaded queen in The Last Man, and others have black or dark grey hair
                      26. Poor McKay...I LOVE Lemon Chicken, but I can sympathise - I'm allergic to lime, which no-one believes either.
                      sigpic

Comment

SueKay - there is a fic I read where Sheppard ferries Rodney about in Antarctica - lets say they don't exactly hit it off to begin with! I'll post a link when I find it.
                        My Fanfiction - http://archiveofourown.org/works/sea...icted%5D=false

Comment

Originally posted by PuddleJ View Post
                          SueKay - there is a fic I read where Sheppard ferries Rodney about in Antarctica - lets say they don't exactly hit it off to begin with! I'll post a link when I find it.
                          That sounds worth reading! Please post the link if you find it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hide and Seek!
                            1. Rodney saying they're not cool... You are cool, Rodney!!
                            2. Medicine vs. other sciences debate, part 2. Probably shouldn't say that to a person with a ginormous needle, Rodney.
                            3. "The irresistible urge to run on a small wheel." One of my favourite lines ever!!
                            4. Carson took too much pleasure in that injection...
                            5. Rodney and John are like children. They had to have known each other for a while to have this relationship.
                            6. His grin about being invulnerable. His grin in general.
                            7. Random pot of coffee? There are no patients. Rodney is wasting coffee. That stuff is gold with no chance of replacement!
                            8. Mental component totally explains why Rodney is not as panicky as he should be.
                            9. Why is John not more cautious about trusting the Athosians? Elizabeth makes sense...
                            10. John says Rodney likes hockey but we never get any proof of this in the series, do we?
                            11. Elizabeth's slight distance from everyone reminds me of Janeway's at the beginning of ST: Voyager.
                            12. "Cheerleaders." Heh...
                            13. So, was the creature trying to leave? Is that why the gate started dialing, or was it really just a malfunction?
                            14. Rodney admitting it is a scary place.
                            15. "Passed out from Manly Hunger." Heh...
                            16. Only there for a few days and he knows the tech so well!
                            17. Shield comes off and the first thing he does is eat, lol.
                            18. Still eating when he has the flashlight...
                            19. How many planets have they explored in a few days, I wonder.
                            20. Rodney saves the day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen1984 View Post
                              Hide and Seek!
                              1. Rodney saying they're not cool... You are cool, Rodney!!
                              2. Medicine vs. other sciences debate, part 2. Probably shouldn't say that to a person with a ginormous needle, Rodney.
                              3. "The irresistible urge to run on a small wheel." One of my favourite lines ever!!
                              4. Carson took too much pleasure in that injection...
                              5. Rodney and John are like children. They had to have known each other for a while to have this relationship.
                              6. His grin about being invulnerable. His grin in general.
                              7. Random pot of coffee? There are no patients. Rodney is wasting coffee. That stuff is gold with no chance of replacement!
                              8. Mental component totally explains why Rodney is not as panicky as he should be.
                              9. Why is John not more cautious about trusting the Athosians? Elizabeth makes sense...
                              10. John says Rodney likes hockey but we never get any proof of this in the series, do we?
                              11. Elizabeth's slight distance from everyone reminds me of Janeway's at the beginning of ST: Voyager.
                              12. "Cheerleaders." Heh...
                              13. So, was the creature trying to leave? Is that why the gate started dialing, or was it really just a malfunction?
                              14. Rodney admitting it is a scary place.
                              15. "Passed out from Manly Hunger." Heh...
                              16. Only there for a few days and he knows the tech so well!
                              17. Shield comes off and the first thing he does is eat, lol.
                              18. Still eating when he has the flashlight...
                              19. How many planets have they explored in a few days, I wonder.
                              20. Rodney saves the day!!!
                              beaten to it again! lol this time I'm closer to the dead line

Very good episode I completely forgot about (just remember the shield device). Also the pre-Chuck technician is cute <3 (and British >.>)

2. I used to disagree with Rodney but, honestly regular doctors NOT in the research part of the medical field do just go with their schooling so not really science

4. wellllll....this IS Rodney

5. too bad that dynamic doesn't last through the seasons.

6. oh yeah so cute <3

7.Obvious prop is obvious or maybe Carson likes coffee?

8. Yeah, he just doesn't want to admit it even when he is so very hungry XD

10. I always thought it was John picking on a famouse Canadian stereotype. Rodney doesn't seem like the guy to get into any sports aside from just being supportive of his nation.

11. interesting observation. never noticed that, perhaps the actress took inspiration?

13. Its hard to say about the entity...(I mean mice can be smart trust me I know, I have an infestation at the moment and traps stopped working haha) if it wanted to leave you would think the first thing it would do was rush out of the gate when it was opened. It might have the thinking capabilities of an animal on instinct like Rodney says.

Comment

my turn!

Thirty-Eight Seconds

1. Iratus bug! always reminded me of those face huggers from Alien
                                2. clunky wraith drones...
                                3. first mention of my second most favorite SGA character
                                4. "Thanks for calling!" XD
                                5. Shepard putting McKay in perspective.
                                6. I don't remember Shepard being that bad at aiming...o-o
                                7.Kavanagh is a bit of an *******...nice foil for Rodney!
                                8. Rodney; realistic and practical as ever!
                                9. Love how Rodney finds time to eat
                                10. bug goo ewww
                                11. Ford is getting good at motivating Rodney
                                12. Victory!

Comment

Working...
                                X