Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateEngineer17 View Post
    Nooooo! Don't shoot the poor 'lil fuzzy plot bunny! Actually, there are quite a few versions of this storyline already out there. A quick search should turn some up for anyone interested. Some of my favorites are the ones where people give Rodney lemon, thinking its all his hypochondria and paranoia, and then are suddenly really, really sorry and horrified to find out that its all true. If I find some links, I'll put them over on the whump thread.

I personally like to believe the lemon thing is real - but that's because I'm also a whumper and I like Vulnerable!Rodney.
    WELL OF COURSE THE LEMON THING IS REAL! Why would anyone think otherwise?

I would have liked to see the more serious side of his allergy just so h e could prove to everyone that it is real and not something to joke about and poke fun at and be teased for. If Sheppard and Ronon, among others, were to see first hand just what ingesting even the smallest amount of citrus will and could do to Rodney they'd realize just how real and serious his reaction to it is. The swelling and the rash, not to mention the wheezing and use of an epi-pen would make them think twice about his allergy.

His hypoglycemia is real too. At least I like to believe it is. I know how it feels when you haven't eaten for too long a time and it's not fun. I sympathize with Rodney on this.

Oh, and I would love the links, thank you!

Okay, bedtime. Zzzzzzzzzz...
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post
      Or he could be wrong about the chronic hypoglycemia entirely.

In a healthy adult, the body turns any excess glucose taken in during a meal into glycogen or into fat. If the body needs energy (that is, to produce ATP) between meals, it will break down those energy reserves into glucose and release it into the blood. Glycogen is easier to break down that fat. If the body has used up its glycogen reserves -- or if the glycogen breakdown is unusually inefficient for some reason -- there is a delay between the body's demand and the release of the glucose. During this delay, people will experience discomfort: the body wants you to eat now. However, the body will ramp up adrenaline production to keep you functional, and then the glycogen/fat-stored glucose will be released and the discomfort disappears. Provided there is sufficient water, the body can live off its energy reserves and adrenaline for a long time.

A hypoglycemic episode -- dizziness, shakes, nervousness/anxiety, sweating, dizziness, weakness, confusion, difficulty speaking -- happens when the adrenaline isn't sufficient to the cause and the blood glucose level has continued to fall. If a hypoglycemic episode is left untreated, it leads to a loss of consciouness and thereafter coma or death. (My mother had diabetes; we all had to know this stuff.)

Chronic hypoglycemia (where you have to eat to suit your insulin instead of your insulin production dropping to suit your food intake) is very rare in adults. When it does occur, it's normally caused by an insulin-producting tumor -- which would have shown up on a scan by now and been removed. Hypoglycemic episodes are most commonly caused by a hiccup in a diabetes-management plan: either taking too much insulin or forgetting to eat on time or drinking alcohol. We've never seen Rodney inject himself with insulin, nor did Teyla & Keller list insulin-management in the list of Rodney's medications during "Missing." I'm not even entirely certain someone with diabetes would be cleared for field duty.

However, there is a condition that looks like hypoglycemia to the naked eye: low blood pressure.

In a person with low blood pressure, either the heart does't pump hard enough or fast enough, or the arteries don't constrict enough to get enough blood where it needs to go. Chronic low blood pressure is hereditary and usually found in women. Since salt (which is contained in most foods) and adrenaline elevate blood pressure, most of the time someone with low blood pressure will be fine.

If, however, adrenaline production has slackened or the individual hasn't eaten salt in several hours -- like, say, she had a yogurt for breakfast and then skipped lunch during a calm shift, or if her breakfast included cinnamon -- the person's blood pressure will fall. Not eough blood will be getting to the brain, which causes dizziness, confusion, anxiety, sweats, and shakes. If the blood pressure drops far enough, the individual will lose consciousness for ten minutes or so. When the individual eats -- like, say a turkey sandwich or a powerbar -- the salt in the food will elevate the blood pressure and the problem goes away. If the individual is an a crisis -- like, say, being trapped in a sinking jumper -- adrenaline will keep the person's blood pressure elevated in lieu of the salt.

If Rodney wore glasses, his optometrist would have been able to make the diagnosis. Someone with chronic low blood presssure will become dizzy, nauseous, and/or pass out when given the yellow-tint eye drops in preparation for a glaucoma test. He or she will also have retinal veins with a long, low sine wave appearance.

DragonLady
      OMG!!! you mean business when you post.....thnx for the info !!!

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
      So did I! I was mad at Sheppard for that and I hated Mitchell for his part (threatening Rodney with the lemon)!

Does that make me weird?

Thank you for the pretties!
      Naaah, Mitchell was a jerc , worse jerc than Rodney ever been. Sheppard was having fun, but Mitchel...he wasn't so close to Rodney to laugh at him this way.
      Spoiler:
      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
      (YEAR 0 - 100)
      "O thou Sun,
      send me as far over the earth
      as is my pleasure and thine,
      and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
      but never hear anything of bad ones,
      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

I'd like to have seen an episode dealing with his allergies. I usually try to put his hypoglycemia in my fics cause I also know what it's like and it's not fun.

More eye pretties

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenheart View Post
          I'd like to have seen an episode dealing with his allergies. I usually try to put his hypoglycemia in my fics cause I also know what it's like and it's not fun.

sorry to hear that
          Spoiler:
          APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
          (YEAR 0 - 100)
          "O thou Sun,
          nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

David hard at work... or at least trying to be...
            Spoiler:
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

G'Morning....
              McKay and his buttons, buttons, buttons everywhere.Geek Dream!!!!
              Buttons and wires and all his to play with........
              I wonder if they actually work for something.I mean what if they push the wrong button, will it matter? or they all do the same think (make noises or something).

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by Ikaros; 14 February 2009, 12:52 AM.
              Spoiler:
              APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
              (YEAR 0 - 100)
              "O thou Sun,
              nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                G'Morning....
                McKay and his buttons, buttons, buttons everywhere.Geek Dream!!!!
                Buttons and wires and all his to play with........
                I wonder if they actually work for something.I mean what if they push the wrong button, will it matter? or they all do the same think (make noises or something).
                I read that out of context and, um, you gave me some ideas
                McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

OMG!!! I did it again?
                  Niiiiiiiice....
                  Spoiler:
                  APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                  (YEAR 0 - 100)
                  "O thou Sun,
                  nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                    OMG!!! I did it again?
                    Niiiiiiiice....
                    I've been writing a lot of smut recently, so anything to boost my imagination is always very helpful

Here's a Valentine's pic for y'all
                    Spoiler:

So cute! Faints...

Comment

I went to the Anti McKay thread talk to see what they were going to change the name to out of curiosity and the proposed titles are "If life gives you a LEMON"

well as a fan of Rodney I was mad cause he states over and OVER that he is ALLERGIC and that was just like say give Sheppard a gun cause that will kill Sheppard.

So I said Hey that is offensive, but because I don't post there I had no say (BOGUS)

Then one of the MODS said that Rodney isn't Allergic so therefore it is okay!! also seeing that TPTB made light of it that it is not a real ALLERGY!

So that also made me mad!
                      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
                        I went to the Anti McKay thread talk to see what they were going to change the name to out of curiosity and the proposed titles are "If life gives you a LEMON"

well as a fan of Rodney I was mad cause he states over and OVER that he is ALLERGIC and that was just like say give Sheppard a gun cause that will kill Sheppard.

So I said Hey that is offensive, but because I don't post there I had no say (BOGUS)

Then one of the MODS said that Rodney isn't Allergic so therefore it is okay!! also seeing that TPTB made light of it that it is not a real ALLERGY!

So that also made me mad!
                        Of course he's allergic You've come to the right place for Rodney sympathy.

I wouldn't go over to 'the other thread' if I were you. I'm certainly not even going to have a peek I delight in the positive so this is the place for me! Can't see the point of negativity/character bashing when I'm here for fun...

(get enough of that at work every day)

Comment

*Snort*

Comment

*Snort*
                            As in fury from the nostrils of a mare of night? Or as in sarcastic laughter at my comments?

*Eyes flash dangerously*
                            *pawing at the ground*

Comment

That you get enough of that at WORK (Silly)

I miss seeing Rodney every night on the re-runs

Comment

That you get enough of that at WORK (Silly)

I miss seeing Rodney every night on the re-runs
                                Oh, okay

I work in a customer facing environment, so my ear hurts after a day on the phone with people ranting on and on and on about how rubbish everything is (they always apologise and say 'Oh, no, it's not you I'm angry with.' Yeah right, so why are you shouting at me and being so mean?) I do love my job so much though when I'm not taking the phone calls

So, now you can see why I don't want to read comments about how rubbish things are when I'm not at work!

Do you have the DVDs? I write lots of fic so I quite rarely watch any episodes

Have some cutesy pics

Spoiler:

*Smiles and whistles innocently*

I'm off to check over my Rodney smut fic and then I'll be back

Comment

Working...
                                X