No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope to see more character moments in S3 a and more interplay between Rodney and John. They are so cute together.
    But I disagree what you said about Runner.
    I think it was perfect McKay. Snark and annoying but he was also very...McKay I don´t have better word. With Ford, he really tried to persuade him and when he saw that Ford is really nuts he didn´t give up but he eve shot him.
    But you are right in one thing. Nobody told anything about McKay shooting Ford or about it that Rodney was almost killed.
    I think that they should speak more about consequenses of their acts.

And I really liked McKay more in S1, in Hot Zone or in Defiant one. But he had good moments in S2-Epiphany, Inferno, Allies.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

A little bit to hopefully stop beating that Trinity corpse (should we get a pinata (SP?) anyone?... ) and to Arlessiar's great post. No spoiler tags, hooray.

I think it'd do good to realise not everyone is going to like McKay, regardless. He's a very extreme character - and characters like that tend to get the hate-or-love treatment, not like or indifference. If you don't mind the character and can't ignore it - and the one thing about McKay is that you just can't ignore him - you're going to end up hating him. People who hate him would cotinue to do so whether he keeps on saving the day - they would ask and justly so, how come he never makes mistakes? - and would bash him when he screws up. For me, the reason I enjoy Rodney so much is his humanity. I do feel he has more dimesions in him then...well, the rest of the characters put together. I don't think the writers treat him weird, too. It's what makes him so interesting, what makes him so compelling to watch, and I suppose write for as well. That dimension of humanity, because the writers allow McKay not to be bigger than life, the ultimate action hero - but exactly life-sized. If Sheppard and Weir aren't being blamed because they're the "leads" and can't - then the writers are missing something very vital, by giving up their humanity, which could account for the problems in those characters But I disagree this is the case - both Sheppard and Weir have done mistakes in the past (Hot Zone, anyone?) and continue to do so. It's the fact that the mistakes seem to have most affect on Rodney that make it a positive thing for him - again IMHO.

As for Rodney taking the blame when others are responsible...damn, I was hoping to avoid the spoiler boxes
      Spoiler:
      I don't think he always does. Someone mentioed Michael - I didn't see it at all as McKay being blamed - it was Sheppard's ad Weir's fault, and I thought the episode showed it quite clearly. The same in Allies - everyone made the decision to work with the Wraith, and Rodney in no way is accountable - not solely for it, nor did I feel that vibe from the episode. Trinity is different because while - you're right, Weird, Caldwell ad Sheppard approved the mission - everyone told Rodney to stop while there still was time, and he refused.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

OT

Aloha! I'm back!!!!

I'm working on an Atlantis vid, and I promise there'll be a lot of rodney in it

gotta run!
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by hopalong
          Oooh, a challenge! I'm going to attempt to scare myself:

Spoiler:
          Top row:

1st pic: Dirk Benedict
          3rd pic: Paul Michael Glasser
          5th pic: Martin Henderson

Second Row:

1st pic: David Hewlett (I'd be really worried if people here didn't get that!)
          3rd pic: Jason Isaccs (can't remember how to spell that)
          4th pic: Dominic Keating

Third row:

1st pic: David McCallum
          2nd pic: Paul McGillion
          3rd pic: Garret Maggart (spell?--Blair from The Sentinel)

Fourth row:

1st pic: Viggo Mortinsen
          3rd pic: Michael Shanks
          4th pic: Brent Spiner
          5th pic: Connor Trinneer
          Hopalong that is cheating slightly... you do have an unfair advantage over most of the people on the list since you know me well and know what's on my computer!! You are right of course, so only 5 more need to be identified. I am ashamed of you for not getting the 4th one on the first row... you of all people!!

Mahlia
          Mahlia Belonn

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
            Often other characters get something like a “Well done” afterwards. Rodney gets a” yes” to his question if people doubted him. By people who are supposed to be his friends.
            All I want is for RM to get a little more credit for his work, or that he does something outstanding (in a positive way of course) to support his claim that he really is a genius. I don’t want him to take over the show, to solve every problem, to pull a Samantha Carter and save the day alone, to be the big hero – no. I just want to see that the others actually say ‘wow, that was really good’ one time. And maybe even thank him.
            What I would really like to see is how Rodney would react to that. As you said he is use people NOT telling him good job that if it were to happen he would most likely be like "What's wrong? Why are they doing this?" It would particularly interesting if Sheppard were to do that - given that in the past he has always shown his respect of Rodney by asking more and more form him and then when Rodney pull a rabbit out of his hat seeming to say "See, that wasn't so hard, was it?"

Carson has in the past said things to him, but Rodney never seems to let it sink in that much. I think he treats it as one might his/her mother complimenting him/her. It is more Sheppard's approval he seems to crave.

And to a certain extent he does have it. But part of the problem is that Rodney does not always understand the way that Sheppard shows it. Sheppard is shows by the fact the so often turns Rodney to find a way to help save the day – because he wouldn’t he if didn’t think that Rodney is able to do it. On the other hand, I don’t think it occurs to Sheppard that Rodney, for all his blustering and apparent ego, does need an occasional pat on the back.

Rodney polarizes, I can accept that. I can understand that you love or hate him, and that those who hate him might be a bit more open about that than other people who dislike other characters.
            Bye, A.
            I come at this from a slightly different perspective. For me the fact that Rodney is a polarizing character is one of the things I like about him. McKay is one of the few characters on the show that viewers DON'T feel indifferent about. And that is one of the best things about the character. He almost never just in the background. And for some that might be part of the problem - that they fear he take time from the characters they like.

For me there are characters whom I love on a show, (in a play or in a book) but I am not so sure I would like that person in real life, or at least like as much as I do on a show. Rodney is one of those characters. He is a well written, well acted character. It is all but impossible to be indifferent to him or right now for him to fade into the wallpaper. (Unlike, say Ford who in Season One was one of my least favorite characters for that very reason - he often faded in the wallpaper.) And for me that is what I want out of my fictional characters. I don't want them all be heros, to be nice guys/girls all the time, or even to people I would choose as friends in a perfect world. I want them to contribute to a good story, to respond as a person like might in real life and maybe, just maybe get me to think.
            Last edited by abharding; 22 June 2006, 07:49 AM.
            ABHarding

Sheppard: You think it's worth checking out?
            McKay: Any significant energy emission generally indicates technological civilization.
            Sheppard: So... you think it's worth checking out?
            McKay: [sarcastically] I'm sorry. Yes. Energy field good.

Comment

Hi! I just watched football and YAY we won!!!

That requires happy pics:

Bye, A.
              ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
              ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by pavaneofstars
                My 3 favorites too! If I had to rank them it be this:
                Nothing
                Treed Murray
                Cube
                Great you like them too! If I had to rank them it would look like this:
                1. Treed Murray
                2. Cube
                3. Nothing

Originally posted by Klenotka
                We all are waiting for promo photos. Do you think they will be better than this?
                Hmm, that will be hard, very, very hard!
                But nonetheless, I think it's possible!
                Originally posted by Willow
                You know we got just past over 13,000 posts?!?
                I'm very, very confused right now, because I watched the post count closely in the last two days. I knew we were approaching 13.000, but I was very sure that it would still take some posts. I thought that when I posted yesterday that we were still about twenty posts away from the milestone. Strange. Hmm, maybe I was so incredibly tired that I failed to notice that we were in fact already past 13.000. Or maybe another thread was merged with this one?

Anway, doesn't matter in the end: YAY for 13.000 posts!

Tracker - thanks for the pics you posted, they are really fab!
                SueKay - welcome back!
                Watcher - yes, that cute hair!

Bye, A.

Comment

Hiya everyone.

Is there anymore 'A Dog's Breakfast' pics about???

It's just that I'm getting really interested in this film.

Comment

yay!!!! ordered treed murray and where the heart is. Can't wait, going to be weeks before they arrive

Sig made by Suekay.

Comment

Hooray! 13,000 posts!

nice Triangle caps Tracker. That was a fun movie. Wasn't so fond of the ending though.

Originally posted by sueKay
                      I'm working on an Atlantis vid, and I promise there'll be a lot of rodney in it
                      Looking forward to it.

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Originally posted by Allestian
                        Is there anymore 'A Dog's Breakfast' pics about???
                        Nothing new. At least I only know the few pics that were published officially and the two new ones from Cult Magazine.

It's very late again and I have to leave, so a few last pics and then I'm off to bed:

Aurora:

Spoiler:

Bye, A.

P.S. Willow - thanks for your mail! I'll try to answer it in the next days!
                        Last edited by Arlessiar; 21 June 2006, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by abharding
                          What I would really like to see is how Rodney would react to that. As you said he is use people NOT telling him good job that if it were to happen he would most likely be like "What's wrong? Why are they doing this?"
                          Actually we see this in "Inferno" when
                          Spoiler:
                          Beckett and Sheppard both praise his idea, his reaction was coy but he said something like "well lets wait and see if it works before thanking me" so he obviously doesn't feel like he gets enough praise but at the same time he probably doesn't 't know how to react to it either.

I come at this from a slightly different perspective. For me the fact that Rodney is a polarizing character is one of the things I like about him. McKay is one of the few characters on the show that viewers feel indifferent about. And that is one of the best things about the character.
                          I don't know but do you really mean to use the word "indifferent"? McKay is not treated IMO with indifference, that would imply people just don't care. He can't polarise fandom the way he does if people don't care.

I really don't care if other like him or not, that was never my problem, my problem is making him nothing special on the show, making his actions ones of idiots and morons. He is meant to be smart, above average, sure you can be smart in some areas and incredibly stupid in others but for me TPTB have taken it to the extreme and it is now time to pull back a little.

On another note; I won't apologise for not laughing it up when the writers belittle him, if people like that fine but I don't. That is why they call this a discussion thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MahliaBelonn
                            Hopalong that is cheating slightly... you do have an unfair advantage over most of the people on the list since you know me well and know what's on my computer!! You are right of course, so only 5 more need to be identified. I am ashamed of you for not getting the 4th one on the first row... you of all people!!

Mahlia
                            Except I was only going by who I could recognise! Which, btw, I still can't get that 4th one on the 1st row! I'll end up hitting myself in the head when I find out who it is...

Edit... still can't get it but I just realised
                            Spoiler:
                            that the 2nd one on the 1st row is Richard Burgi!
                            Last edited by hopalong; 20 June 2006, 08:55 PM.

Comment

14 of the pics in my sig have been identified... 4 more and I will dig out some new caps that haven't been posted before...

Mahlia
                              Mahlia Belonn

Comment

OK, I think
                                Spoiler:
                                no 2 in row 2 is Rob Lowe and no. 4 in row 3 is di Caprio.
                                Am I right?
                                sigpic
                                "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Working...
                                X