No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Er, ABHarding, I am something of a newbie at this message board stuff, but is it possible you have put your posting in as a quote rather than a spoiler? Only it does contain a spoiler for an episode I haven't seen yet!

Anyway, I was going to add some more earlier on but had to get off the computer, so now I have been mulling it around in my head all day! Here goes... when Sam is out of her depth the SGC can call on the Tokra, the Asgard, even the odd Goauld for help, or Jack can download the Ancient database into his brain, or they have even been known to call Rodney in to help! In 48 Hours it wasn't simply a case of Rodney was wrong and Sam was right; firstly they asked the Tokra for advice and the Tokra more or less said Rodney was right about the DHD, then they had to get instructions from that Goauld on how to save Tealc, and in the end Sam managed to ruin the DHD, which I guess would probably count as "screwing up" if Rodney did it. (Well, okay, she did save Tealc, but if you lose a vital piece of equipment in Atlantis it is perhaps more serious than at the SGC.)

I also think that Sam can (usually) present some options and a risk assessment to, say General Hammond or whoever and then the decision is out of her hands and she will do what the higher authorities decide, whereas on Atlantis, Weir is the highest authority and does not have that much experience of making big decisions, so Rodney must feel more responsible for influencing the decisions she makes. And the same with Shep.

Compared with all the possible help the SGC can get, in what I have seen of SGA so far - not very far into series 2 yet - the Atlantis contingent have to rely on themselves to succeed or fail without any outside help (I know they have the Ancient database, but it needs translating). And that usually means Rodney! That quote from The Storm, "Despite what you may all think, I am not Superman", is usually quoted as a funny, but I think there is a grain of truth in it as regards Shep because he really does sometimes seem to think Rodney can do anything. So I suppose he is bound to be disillusioned if and when he realises this isn't true, like finding out (spoiler for under-8's follows!)
    Spoiler:
    that Santa doesn't exist or that your parents don't know everything.
    Also, Weir and Shep don't usually think much of any plan that involves everybody surviving but Atlantis being destroyed, unless it is a case of using the self-destruct to prevent enemies from getting control of the city. That's another consideration that the SGC don't usually have. So, no undue pressure! What I am trying to say is that maybe Sam would find things very different in Atlantis from how they are at the SGC.

That will have to be it for now! Sorry for taking up so much of your time...
    Last edited by Catsitter; 18 June 2006, 09:22 AM.
    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

*floats in after being away the weekend and silently catches up on the posts*

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
        Have you've seen this little review about Nothing and Ice Men?
        Thanks for the link! That's really a nice review. It's hard to find reviews for films like "Ice Men", so I'm happy someone wrote one, and this one's even very positive.

Hello Mahlia, nice to see you again! Thanks for posting your wallpaper!

Hi tiggerific! *waves*
        Hehe, the weekend's over, the thunkers come back.

Bye, A., facing Monday again
        ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
        ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
          I just watched Rising, Hide&Seek and 38 Minutes with my mom. And she enjoyed it and really liked the show! Well, we watched Star Trek DS9 together, so I already knew that she likes SciFi and guessed she might like Stargate too.
          Ah, DS9 - that was the best of the Treks imo.

Concerning the thunking - I asked her afterwards, and she thinks McKay is pretty funny (she knows I like him a lot ), but she says that JS/JF is 'sweet' and that she likes him the most. And she also liked AF/RSF and called him 'a very handsome young man'.
          So she thunks JS/JF! That's cool. I guess we can't all be RM/DH thunkers. Nice pic spam, btw

I found it interesting how you watch the eps. I take it for granted that everything's in English (my first language, obviously)

Originally posted by MahliaBelonn
          Hiya all! I am putting my continuing unemployment to good use by spending some time learning to use some of the more advanced functions of photoshop.
          Hi Mahlia, I hope you find employment again soon. Nice job on the wall paper. You inspire me to figure out GIMP (similar to photoshop). I've had it on my computer for over a month but have not sat down to figure out how it works and I've never done photo ed/manips before.

Kinda slow around here, guess everyone's out enjoying the weekend.

Ice Men

Nothing

SGA (this pic breaks my theme, but I couldn't find one of McKay at the piano! )

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Originally posted by pavaneofstars
            Ah, DS9 - that was the best of the Treks imo.
            Think the same.
            So she thunks JS/JF! That's cool. I guess we can't all be RM/DH thunkers. Nice pic spam, btw
            Yep. Can't believe it, my mother's a JS thunker! How could that happen? What have I done wrong???

Just kidding. Of course we all thunk for different people and that's good.

Glad you liked the picspam!
            (this pic breaks my theme, but I couldn't find one of McKay at the piano! )
            One of the things I'd really like to see on the show: McKay at the piano again. I'd really love to see that, I think it might be an interesting character moment - and very cute!

Bye, A.

Comment

Made a few new caps today, here are two of them:

Bye, A.

Comment

One of the things I'd really like to see on the show: McKay at the piano again. I'd really love to see that, I think it might be an interesting character moment - and very cute!
                Oh, me too!!! There is a fic called Long December where Rodney gets back into piano again. Alas, it is not finished. Hasn't been updated in ages. The first 5 chapters are good though.

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

There is a fic called Long December where Rodney gets back into piano again. Alas, it is not finished. Hasn't been updated in ages.
                  I know that fic, it's good, and I waited for an update for a long time.

More pics:

This cap is very small, but I simply love Rodney's grin:

Bye, A.

P.S. It's a little OT, but I just have to post it: When I made caps from 'Rising' today, I noticed that Beckett obviously isn't the only Scot on Atlantis. Someone else is from there, too, a woman, and she also chose to wear the Scottish flag, not the British one. Never saw that before.

Spoiler:

Comment

I've actually been thinking about that for a while. I was thinking how I'd like for
                    Spoiler:
                    Jeannie in M&MM to tell Rodney that she always liked when he played piano and that he should go back to it.

Now that the Deadalus is there, it would be reasonable to ship a piano to Atlantis for recreational and morale purposes, and Rodney should sneak into the "piano room" at the dead of night when he thinks no one will hear him and play a little.
                    Oooh, ooh! And I also want Teyla to be completely fascinated with the piano and want to play it, but rodney gets all frustrated b/c she's doing it all wrong, so he insists on teaching her how to play it, and then she cackles inwardly because she got Rodney to teach her the piano.
                    What? I didn't have a dream like that. Nuh-uh.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoryJ
                      I've actually been thinking about that for a while. I was thinking how I'd like for
                      Spoiler:
                      Jeannie in M&MM to tell Rodney that she always liked when he played piano and that he should go back to it.
                      I would love to see this scene! Think it'll happen?

Now that the Deadalus is there, it would be reasonable to ship a piano to Atlantis for recreational and morale purposes, and Rodney should sneak into the "piano room" at the dead of night when he thinks no one will hear him and play a little.
                      This actually happens in the fic I rec'd (see a few posts above)

And I also want Teyla to be completely fascinated with the piano and want to play it, but rodney gets all frustrated b/c she's doing it all wrong, so he insists on teaching her how to play it, and then she cackles inwardly because she got Rodney to teach her the piano.
                      What? I didn't have a dream like that. Nuh-uh.
                      Are you a Telya/Rodney shipper?! Just teasing. That would be a cute scene. We know that DH plays guitar, I wonder if he plays piano too?

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Just dropping in to say "Hi folks!" since it's been a while since I last posted. I haven't read all the postings I've missed, so I'll just say "Welcome" to all the new thunkers, "Happy belated birthday" to anyone I've missed and "Congratulations" to all the folks who've hit milestones recently, be they post counts or otherwise.

Finally got a look at the two group promo shots for S3 and will have to join y'all in the demands for the individual shots. Though a group shot of just the guys would be quite nice too as I am a multi-thunker. And loved the new pics from ADB... I hope that it won't be too hard to get our collective hands on that movie when it comes out.

Just a quick, off-topic note... Pavane, you mentioned wanting to learn how to use GIMP and thought you could use the following links. They go to GIMP specific LJ comms that I've found kind of helpful as I learn it myself.

gimp_tutorial gimp_users and gimp_resources

And back on topic to make this legal

A little Mr. Fantastic profile.....

and smile.

Comment

Originally posted by strivaria
                          Just a quick, off-topic note... Pavane, you mentioned wanting to learn how to use GIMP and thought you could use the following links. They go to GIMP specific LJ comms that I've found kind of helpful as I learn it myself.

gimp_tutorial gimp_users and gimp_resources

Thanks strivaria! My sister was over tonight playing with it and showing me some things (she is a pro at photoshop) but I still have a lot to learn.

Back on topic...

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Are you a Telya/Rodney shipper?! Just teasing. That would be a cute scene.
                            I'm a Teyla/Rodney "on-screen interaction" shipper, in the sense that I'd love to see more of a friendship between them. I love how David and Rachel play off one another, and I think there is more to the team dynamic than just Sheppard + everyone else. And I adored their little scenes in the Seige III, Aurora, and Epiphany.

I would love to see this scene! Think it'll happen?
                            I think if MG goes back to the tidbit of characterization McKay provided in "Redemption", then it's a fair bet that she would at least mention it. Or at least I hope so.

Shep and Ford: "OMGWTFBBQ!? McKay plays piano?!"
                            Rodney: "Crap. They're gonna have me playing sonatas by sunset . . ."
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry
                              I dunno. I think McKay's screwing up actually adds to his humanity. He's an absolute jerk, over-confident - at least on the outside - but he comes off much more human than your average Star Trek scientists. The thing is McKay is still the best in what he does - but we're all human and make mistakes.
                              I don't think SGA McKay is a jerk, he is arrogant but if that to you means jerk fine. I also think he is confident not over confident "Trinity"
                              Spoiler:
                              was more about bashing McKay then exploring his personality IMO so I don't really count that ep as a good example of portraying McKay.

As for Sam yeah she really listened to McKay on SG-1 didn't she. No comparison, Sam is the golden girly, McKay is the... well to be honest don't know what McKay is there for anymore.

McKay has given Zelenka credit in his own way but again "Trinity" was an odd episode and badly realised, I mean in the end what was the point?

Comment

I'm a Teyla/Rodney "on-screen interaction" shipper, in the sense that I'd love to see more of a friendship between them. I love how David and Rachel play off one another, and I think there is more to the team dynamic than just Sheppard + everyone else. And I adored their little scenes in the Seige III, Aurora, and Epiphany.
                                I agree. I would love to see more of the friendship between these two. There was a moment in Epiphany when
                                Spoiler:
                                McKay lends a hand to help Teyla up after she'd been knocked down by the beast that stands out as very endearing to me. I'd seen this ep a few times before this one particular time and this scene just sort of jumped out at me and I thought "Awww, that's cute."

I think if MG goes back to the tidbit of characterization McKay provided in "Redemption", then it's a fair bet that she would at least mention it. Or at least I hope so.
                                Me too. I am glad this ep is in the first part of the season. The wait is long enough as it is!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a188/JamieCrews/General%20Stargate/0118TheGift2637846.jpg
                                Shep and Ford: "OMGWTFBBQ!? McKay plays piano?!"
                                Rodney: "Crap. They're gonna have me playing sonatas by sunset . . ."

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Working...
                                X