No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So recently I realized I've become a fan of my first non-canon pairing. (Yeah I know Sparky is ostensibly not "officially" sanction by the creators or whatever but I still count them as having a canon uh... "thing" going on).

So this is the first time I've found myself eventually coming around to the wacky ideas of "those crazy ol' shippers."

Does this mean I'm going to be slowly morphing into one of them?

Somehow this must be all you guys' fault for being so sane, friendly and welcoming since I first joined this thread way back when.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      So recently I realized I've become a fan of my first non-canon pairing.
      And who might they be?

So this is the first time I've found myself eventually coming around to the wacky ideas of "those crazy ol' shippers."

You call them "wacky ideas", yet you yourself are now following them - I'd say that's a definite yes.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Holiday drive-by posting.

Spoiler:
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

*hugs JT-2* I'm sorry to hear things aren't so great right now. Real life can be a drag and sometimes it's just got to be dealt with. But never forget that we're here for you.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Can't we do a Sparky christmas or holiday cheer, instead of an advent?

Post or repost stuff, reccommend stuff. Art/fic - you know stuff.
            I think I can do that.

Speaking of which, love that repost, SR!

So recently I realized I've become a fan of my first non-canon pairing. (Yeah I know Sparky is ostensibly not "officially" sanction by the creators or whatever but I still count them as having a canon uh... "thing" going on).

Somehow this must be all you guys' fault for being so sane, friendly and welcoming since I first joined this thread way back when.
            I'm going to have to second Falcon Horus: yep, you're definitely morphing.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

And who might they be?

You call them "wacky ideas", yet you yourself are now following them - I'd say that's a definite yes.
              That would be "Korrasami" from Avatar: Legend of Korra.

Now in fairness it was less of a "those crazy shippers were right all along " and more of the fact that as the show went on the writers seemingly started to insert enough subtext that eventually it didn't seem like an idea that was so way out of left field anymore.

Although According to TV tropes, apparently a huge number of fans had my exact same reaction.

In Season 1, they were friends but also rivals in a love triangle. I was like: "Of course, people ship Korra and Asmasi. Shippers ship everyone. "

In Season 3 their friendship was developed further and I was like "Haha, those shippers are gonna have a field day with this scene, but they are still making more of what is there."

But when Season 4 rolled around I was like "Hey, wait a minute... that was intentional. They are writing subtext deliberately now! "

I'm not usually one to see romantic feelings in place of a close friendship, but some scenes near the end of the show actually became kind of hard to interpret any other way.

It's the first time I became a fan of something that I felt reasonably could be canon (even though it almost certainly won't be) rather than what officially was.
              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 11 December 2014, 05:08 PM.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Kinda like HG Wells and Myka Bering in Warehouse 13...

Comment

Kinda like HG Wells and Myka Bering in Warehouse 13...
                  That is probably the best analogy I can think of. Except if HG Wells was a regular cast member and they were both cartoons. Although I think there is a school of thought that says that Korra and Asami are actually canon... in as much Nickelodeon's censors would allow.
                  Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 11 December 2014, 05:47 PM.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

taris-eirien made this beautiful advent
                    sigpic

Comment

That is much cuteness.
                      sigpic
                      Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to watch Legend of Korra sometime...
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          That tag scene is an even greater mystery than the smushmouth scene. I always thought from the behavior of the Athosians that they were a very reserved group. They had elaborate rituals surrounding death and acted a bit formal even with family members, substituting the head bump for a hug. So, imagine Teyla's shock and revulsion when a trusted friend acts so aggressively toward her. If she had been harboring any romantic feeling for him, I think that pretty much killed them. I would love to see a fic involving her going back and talking to her friend Kanaan about it. He's shocked also and asks her if she wants him to speak to the Colonel on her behalf. She, of course, explains that the ways of the Earthlings are not the ways of the Athosians and asks him to keep his distance. Kanaan understands that she has conflicted feelings about John and hopes that someday she will see what's right in front of her and will turn to him. Sigh. But I don't have time to write it.

Now, John wants her to understand that jumping women who have shown no romantic interest in him is not something he does on a regular basis. He values her friendship and hopes she doesn't go home and round up a bunch of big burly Athosians to come and kick his scrawny ass. In the end, they are both glad to put the whole thing behind them and never speak of it again. Teyla, in particular is relieved that she doesn't have to explain to John why she reacted like she had just come in contact with one of those ground squid.
                          Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          That would require TPTW actually having to develop *gasp* character background. Perish the thought!
                          This is where the novels could have come in handy, in the sense that each episode could have been novelised and expanded upon. Not canon obviously, but it would have helped in the understanding of each episode. Although they probably would not have made any money on that enterprise, which is probably why it didn't happen

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                          I'm of the opinion that Santa is actually an Asgard named Odin (who uses a hologram to look like a Norse deity.)
                          That would not surprise me.
                          It would surprise the hell out of me But if you're talking in terms of the show, it's certainly possible. Who was the naughty asgard Teryl voiced? Something along those lines

Turns out it was a different asgard. She voiced Heimdall, from s5. That asgard was the one that was researching how to stop the genetic fade from their repeated cloning. As it turned out, they should have devoted more than one asgard to this cause But lol at this excerpt from Wiki

Rothery performed her lines onset to help give the actors a reference point. However, Richard Dean Anderson, Chris Judge and Rothery could not keep a straight face as the eye line they were given was a blinking light in Rothery's chest.
                          Aw, I miss Teryl

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                          Sorry all. Still don't have new pc. Should get done tonight.

I'm watching BSG and I just love Adama and Roslin. Damn, I do have my tropes.
                          The ship that ruined (in terms of comparison) other ships for me, at least temporarily. I mean, wow, they went from hating each other, to that. So many good Mamadama scenes.

Hope all is well. Miss you so much.

I'm going for an epidural back injection tomorrow so please send some good thoughts my way. I'm freaked out about it.
                          Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                          Oh, and Sparky Advent isn't happening even though lovely Falcon Hours offered. With no pc, no files, I can't even give her the stuff to set up.

Sorry For Letting Everyone down.

Life has been really hard for me. I'm not coping well with my aunt's death. Partly because I never really dealt with my mom's either and now I'm alone.
                          Yikes. Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that the day went well, sounds like you need a win

It took me a while to realise you weren't talking about sparky, because (when I used to frequent here) I always assumed you were one of those who didn't ship sparky, but saw 'some' sort of connection

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to watch Legend of Korra sometime...
                          Nooooo!!!!!!!! I've reached peak ship. I refuse to watch another show

I heard this song the other day. If I had any aptitude for editing, I think it could fit a sparky vid. Something along the theme of how Sheppard seemed to go on autopilot for s4, then when Franibeth came back in s5, it brought everything back.
                          Last edited by gateraid; 12 December 2014, 01:34 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Personally I've been a little weirded out to say that I "ship" anyone, because for some reason it sort of invokes the image of "shippers" being people who stuff couples into cargo boxes and transport them onto ships.

Plus although I'm a fan of and generally supportive of Sparky, for example, I rarely feel like I "participate" enough in making fanfiction or art or such to count as actively shipping things. Shipping is also almost never central to my perspective or enjoyment of a show like it is for some other shippers I've seen. I guess if "shippers" are the people who transport cargo crates onto boats, for my favorite couples I'm the guy standing behind them going "Wooooh! Boxes!" or maybe the analogy is breaking down.

Although I am still ostensibly writing one fan fic that has sparky themes so I guess I can't really deny that I count.

When it comes to Legend of Korra, it's a really fun (albeit imperfect) show but not necessarily something I would recommend for shipping. The first two seasons had a lot of that and apparently it proved so unpopular they dropped it entirely afterward. Korrasami's overwhelming popularity, I think, became a thing in the wake of that. And as much fun as it is to imagine an impossible underdog pairing being canon, I don't think it will. Even the heavy subtext in Season 4 is likely just the writers teasing the fans.

What Legend of Korra does have though is some the best action sequences I've ever seen animated and some reasonably intelligent themes into the story.

Plus I've always respected cartoons that brush up against the limits of censorship.
                            Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 12 December 2014, 03:00 PM.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Personally I've been a little weirded out to say that I "ship" anyone, because for some reason it sort of invokes the image of "shippers" being people who stuff couples into cargo boxes and transport them onto ships.
                              Where do they ship them off to, I wonder?

Plus although I'm a fan of and generally supportive of Sparky, for example, I rarely feel like I "participate" enough in making fanfiction or art or such to count as actively shipping things.
                              Even a little is enough. My ratio Sparky fanworks isn't spectacularly high either.

Shipping is also almost never central to my perspective or enjoyment of a show like it is for some other shippers I've seen.
                              Same here.

I guess if "shippers" are the people who transport cargo crates onto boats, for my favorite couples I'm the guy standing behind them going "Wooooh! Boxes!" or maybe the analogy is breaking down.
                              Ha, you're not alone cheering those boxes off towards their destinies.

Comment

Where do they ship them off to, I wonder?
                                Ummm, I think it doesn't matter where! Shippers gotta ship. All that mattes is act of shipping them overseas.

Just like the first blooper from this Voyager Blooper reel:

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X