Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    And instead of that ship they went with the mile high club for their ultimate favorite.
    *snorts*

Originally posted by Luz View Post
    That would have been interesting, thought seeing a woman who looked like Teyla with someone like Carson would have required tptb to think outside the box. What do you wanna bet if someone had pitched they idea they'd have laughed it off, they'd probably think he was to dorky for her.
    And yet they were the ones who came up with so many of those lovely scenes with Teyla and Carson in episodes like Critical Mass. Who do they think they were kidding?

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    Good evening, everybody! I spent the day at Busch Gardens, getting soaked on the water rides in this heat and sunburnt severely tanned. Definitely got my exercise in for the week.
    Sounds like fun!

Oh dear Lord, the thoughts that just popped in my head. I recently watched ST:VOY S6 episodes "Fair Haven" and "Spirit Folk" -- you know, the ones where Janeway falls for a holographic character in Tom Paris' holodeck program and the Doctor basically tells her to go for it because she can't date anyone on the ship since she's the captain and she doesn't really have any other options?

So of course, my brain goes, "You know, Atlantis does have a holographic projection room."

*falls into gutter with SK*
    *snickers and passes over a margarita*

And Pepperony too, yes.

Same here. But it's a doom I like, and I have people to share it with. *pours margarita*
    Pepperony for the win!

Simon's hair =

*cue sharp violin music*
    Yeah, that's about how I feel about it.

Did John see Elizabeth in the green shirt and I totally missed it? Because I think he would've been thrown that she finally wore something other than her work uniform for the first time in two years if he had seen her. And drooling, of course.
    He did, but only after the crisis started. So he was kinda distracted with the whole "oh crap, Carson's operating on someone with an exploding tumor" thing.

Crack!fic for the win!

And here, I was actually naive enough to believe that the hinting about Teyla's crush in "Sunday" was the writers attempting to introduce Kanaan. Shame on me. *Gibbs slaps self*
    The beauty of it is, it was written vaguely enough that it can be easily retconned to be Kanaan that Teyla was talking about.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      And yet they were the ones who came up with so many of those lovely scenes with Teyla and Carson in episodes like Critical Mass. Who do they think they were kidding?
      But they were supposed to be strictly platonic. The only dork allowed to get attention from hot ladies was their beloved self-insert.

Comment

Oh I agree completely. I haven't listened to all the commentaries like SR (she's the true masochist), but I've listened to the S1-S3 and Lizzie S4 ones. They tend to explain things a lot because it wasn't clear in the show. I don't think they realize that 95% of fans do not listen to commentaries or even join the fandom.

These PTW have made me wonder what other shows exist in which I've seen something completely contrary to the creator's intentions.
        I rarely listen to commentaries, not because I don't want to, but there's just not enough time in the world If the writers/producers feels the need to explain so much in commentaries on dvd's released years after the episodes were aired, then the writing probably wasn't good enough

Oh dear Lord, the thoughts that just popped in my head. I recently watched ST:VOY S6 episodes "Fair Haven" and "Spirit Folk" -- you know, the ones where Janeway falls for a holographic character in Tom Paris' holodeck program and the Doctor basically tells her to go for it because she can't date anyone on the ship since she's the captain and she doesn't really have any other options?
        I liked "Fair Haven" a lot, we got to see a side of Janeway that she usually kept hidden and it was nice

Comment

That would have been interesting, thought seeing a woman who looked like Teyla with someone like Carson would have required tptb to think outside the box. What do you wanna bet if someone had pitched they idea they'd have laughed it off, they'd probably think he was to dorky for her.
          And yet McKeller seemed like a good idea to them.

Another reason why I never listen to commentary. Whatever they said it's completely useless because what happened on screen completely negates whatever point they were trying to make with their words. An image is worth a thousand words.

My personal point of view is that it's over, it's done. Whatever they wanted to do counts for nothing. What counts, as far as I'm concerned, is what's on screen, and nothing else. There might have been a thousand things they wanted to do but they didn't do it or they didn't portray them well enough to make themselves be understood.
          ITA, but there are still a bunch of people who thought they were seeing Sheyla or McShep being developed. And they are able to point out multiple scenes to back it up. So, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Oh I agree completely. I haven't listened to all the commentaries like SR (she's the true masochist), but I've listened to the S1-S3 and Lizzie S4 ones. They tend to explain things a lot because it wasn't clear in the show. I don't think they realize that 95% of fans do not listen to commentaries or even join the fandom.

These PTW have made me wonder what other shows exist in which I've seen something completely contrary to the creator's intentions.
          I think they realize that very well and the commentaries are aimed at just the 5%. At times they even mention things fans have said online, but it's usually to explain why they disagree. I don't ever remember a time when they talked about fans good ideas and how the fan interpretation that differed from their intent might have been correct. In fact, all through, I sensed a bit of snarky contempt for those of us who dared to be critical or who didn't see what they said they were trying to show. Midway might be an example of them trying to give fans what they wanted, but since it was just another of their own fantasies, I don't think it really counts. And remember how they said Sunday was all for the fans? OMG.

Crack!fic for the win!

And here, I was actually naive enough to believe that the hinting about Teyla's crush in "Sunday" was the writers attempting to introduce Kanaan. Shame on me. *Gibbs slaps self*
          I thought that too. Instead of thinking the crush was Carson, I thought it was an Athosian from the lines about how Teyla must know him better than her friend. I know they meant that to be John, but it didn't make sense for that strange woman to offer to talk to him. WTH? And it also seemed highly unlikely that Teyla would spill her guts to this girl. If she had a crush, I think she would be reluctant to talk about it to anyone from Earth because of the culture difference. Though, after 3 years, she probably understood a bit about dating customs. And again, we're talking about mature adults here. A crush? Was this written by 12 year old girls?
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

^ The writers ideal woman is a 12 year old girl (or thereabouts). That's why they had a hard time with Elizabeth's character, she was a grown-up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
              ^ The writers ideal woman is a 12 year old girl (or thereabouts). That's why they had a hard time with Elizabeth's character, she was a grown-up.
              True. Or a 12 year old boy with a raging hormone situation.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

You two cracked me up. Nicely said.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Welp, I'm going to be off on a last-minute surprise trip up to the great northlands starting on Thursday, so I won't be here for Sunday's post-a-thon with Harmony. (Darn, and I was looking forward to the snarkage for this one!) But I'll try to check in from time to time as schedule and internet access permit.

But they were supposed to be strictly platonic. The only dork allowed to get attention from hot ladies was their beloved self-insert.
                  *snorts*

Oooh, snap!

And double snap!
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Welp, I'm going to be off on a last-minute surprise trip up to the great northlands starting on Thursday, so I won't be here for Sunday's post-a-thon with Harmony. (Darn, and I was looking forward to the snarkage for this one!) But I'll try to check in from time to time as schedule and internet access permit.

*snorts*

Oooh, snap!

And double snap!
                    Wow, this must be a trend. I have out of town guests coming on Thursday, so my time will be limited around here also. I don't know what's on tap for Sunday, but I may not be here either. I'm actually sorry to miss Harmony also. I love John in this one and wanted to snark about that blasted painting at the end.

OT: I had to run out this morning and get a cross body bag for sightseeing with my friends. Last night this happened.
                    Spoiler:

SR: I have to run out to TJ Maxx tomorrow and try to find a purse to take sightseeing.
                    Mr. SR: Didn't you just buy a new purse last week?
                    SR: Yes, but that was for dressy. And it's Kate Spade. I'm not taking my new Kate Spade purse sightseeing. It might get scratched.
                    Mr. SR: So where is Kate allowed to go?
                    SR: I told you. Dressy occasions, like dinner, a play...
                    Mr. SR: So you buy an expensive purse but never use it and have to go out and find a cheap one to actually take places?
                    SR: Bingo.
                    Mr. SR:

I'm not sure why he's confused, but I got a great one with a ton of pockets for $20. Score!
                    sigpic

Comment

Have fun!!

Wow, this must be a trend. I have out of town guests coming on Thursday, so my time will be limited around here also. I don't know what's on tap for Sunday, but I may not be here either. I'm actually sorry to miss Harmony also. I love John in this one and wanted to snark about that blasted painting at the end.

OT: I had to run out this morning and get a cross body bag for sightseeing with my friends. Last night this happened.
                      Spoiler:

SR: I have to run out to TJ Maxx tomorrow and try to find a purse to take sightseeing.
                      Mr. SR: Didn't you just buy a new purse last week?
                      SR: Yes, but that was for dressy. And it's Kate Spade. I'm not taking my new Kate Spade purse sightseeing. It might get scratched.
                      Mr. SR: So where is Kate allowed to go?
                      SR: I told you. Dressy occasions, like dinner, a play...
                      Mr. SR: So you buy an expensive purse but never use it and have to go out and find a cheap one to actually take places?
                      SR: Bingo.
                      Mr. SR:

I'm not sure why he's confused, but I got a great one with a ton of pockets for $20. Score!
                      I hope you also have fun! Even as non-girly as I am, I can understand why you'd need different purses. Of course, I don't understand needing some very expensive name brand purse but that's because I'm a cheap non-girly girl.

Comment

Have fun!!

I hope you also have fun! Even as non-girly as I am, I can understand why you'd need different purses. Of course, I don't understand needing some very expensive name brand purse but that's because I'm a cheap non-girly girl.
                        If I tell you it was 60% off, would that help? But guys don't need different wallets for different events, so they don't get it.

I just finished reading the end of PM and my head is about to explode. Yes, we can stick to canon and still make our readers happy. We rock!
                        sigpic

Comment

If I tell you it was 60% off, would that help? But guys don't need different wallets for different events, so they don't get it.

I just finished reading the end of PM and my head is about to explode. Yes, we can stick to canon and still make our readers happy. We rock!
                          Well, they may not understand purses, but I think guys have their collections. Like a number of guys have a multitude of baseball caps. When a cap is a cap is a cap. And yet they have one for the lawn, one for shopping, one for the pool, etc.

Or tools. My father is always buying tools. And yet he builds nothing... :\
                          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

*Googles Kate Spade handbags*

*sees price*

No, 60% does not help.

But I've been known to buy technology things I really don't need, so I can't talk.

Comment

But I've been known to buy technology things I really don't need, so I can't talk.
                              Oh, but haven't we all done that?

A thought just occured to me. When Rodney goes to visit Katie in the end of Quarantine, he says: "If we got married now, I would make your life miserable, and you are far too good a person for that." How soon after this does he start dating Keller? Won't he end up making her life miserable too, since he can't possible have changed that much in such a short time? Isn't she too good a person for that in his opinion? *is confused*

Comment

And thus ends another cracktastic post-a-thon! Thanks to everyone who came out to join us for today's insanity, and be sure to tune in next week for some pint-sized hijinks off-world on Harmony! Same Sparky time, same Sparky channel!
                                ’Harmony’ is such a strange episode and the only good part about it is John, especially the part where he talks about leadership because it does sound as if he might be talking about Elizabeth. I don’t know if I will be here for it, we’ll see on Sunday but if not then I will look forward to read the snarky comments when I do get home.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                                I think the gist of the awkwardness was that Elizabeth was supposed to be 'flattered' that someone was coming on to her, and that she did like him (which is why she got all embarrassed when Teyla and Carson were trying to figure out what she was up to), but that she realized that she couldn't do her job and date someone at the same time.

Of course, I still find it funny that they didn't even try to confront of the 1000 pound gorilla of 'what would John say,' but that's just me.
                                Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
                                She would have known that, if she had watched Star Trek Voyager - Janeway had the exact same problem

And why should she be flattered? She's an intelligent, attractive woman - of course someone would eventually come on to her. Strange writing again...
                                I never understood that either, I mean I get why it’s hard for her to day´te anyone but the ‘flattered’ part I mean since it was obvious that most guys there were quite fashinated by her and I will admit that it looked like all the guys at one point or another had a crush on her, even Jason in an interview basically said that Elizabeth would have been a good girlfriend for Ronon, oh well, we all know what TPTB thought of her and I bet that even if she had stayed both her and John would have been alone in the end.

Did John see Elizabeth in the green shirt and I totally missed it? Because I think he would've been thrown that she finally wore something other than her work uniform for the first time in two years if he had seen her. And drooling, of course.
                                I would have loved to have seen his reaction if he saw her sooner during the day considering how he reacted when he was told that Elizabeth was making a sandwich to Lucius who knows how he would have reacted seeing her dress up for another guy.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X