Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
    In spite of all the bad episodes on seasons 4 and 5, my Sparky spirit didn’t vanish. I can hold on to Sparky by looking at John. Most of his behaviour on these two seasons is Sparky (or at least I see it that way). John changed and that change, to me, to my Sparky eyes, is because of Elizabeth’s loss, and in a way, that keeps my Sparky spirit alive.

Personally I thought Adrift/Lifeline were among the best Sparky episodes. They were certainly the most emotionally exhausting. Sure it was extremely sad, and I didn't like the way Elizabeth's departure was handled in the end, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad episodes.

What made me keep on watching the last two seasons was John, if something would have happened to him too, I would have stopped watching the show.
    Totally agree 100%. In spite of the lack of Torri, GitM was also one of the Sparkiest episodes.

And now I can announce that the next part of PM is up. Hold on to your hats for this one. We can't wait for everyone's reaction.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Yes, it's located here. It's a pretty entertaining thread. Some of the Weir haters (who are 99% of the time avid shippers of a different John ship) came out with some of the most fantastical comments that made everyone else scratch their heads. Pretty funny.
      I read some of the posts on that thread in the past and some of it make me laugh, I mean for me it’s a big difference between what you didn’t want to see and what wasn’t there.
      I can also say now that most people were right about Carter’s lack of chemistry with the cast and how it still wasn’t there after TMC aired.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      TMC woke up a lot of people who had previously not seen any connection between John and Elizabeth, but GitM put the icing on the cake. Even when she didn't look like herself, the connection was so very obvious. That ep brought out another bunch of viewers who saw how much he cared for her.

A lot of people were puzzled by how they were written. I know I've said this before, but in my own life both my husband and son said they assumed the writers were throwing red herrings at us with other ships and intended to put them together in the end. Imagine their surprise. My son very patiently explained to me that TLG was a sure sign of Sparky because that old "aliens made them do it" trope is like waving a red flag. He missed the memo about what bad writers we were dealing with. LOL

And looking at it from the opposite angle of Sparky romance tropes, what tropes did we get for John/anyone else or Elizabeth/anyone else? Simon? Old flame who cheats. Trope, but not one that gets them back together. Teyla? Possible love interest who has a baby with someone else. A trope that makes you go "ewww"? Like you said, all the most common romance tropes featured Sparky.
      Haha, I really agree with this, it did seem to have woken up a lot of people (I mean some were still dead set against it and wouldn’t have seen it even if the writers had gone further down that road than they did) but some people did or at least they saw that there was more to Elizabeth’s character and more to John and Elizabeth relationship than necessary meet the eye.

I still live by the notion that the reason why John was alone in the end was because the one he was supposed to have been with wasn’t there anymore
      sigpic

Comment

TMC woke up a lot of people who had previously not seen any connection between John and Elizabeth, but GitM put the icing on the cake. Even when she didn't look like herself, the connection was so very obvious. That ep brought out another bunch of viewers who saw how much he cared for her.

A lot of people were puzzled by how they were written. I know I've said this before, but in my own life both my husband and son said they assumed the writers were throwing red herrings at us with other ships and intended to put them together in the end. Imagine their surprise. My son very patiently explained to me that TLG was a sure sign of Sparky because that old "aliens made them do it" trope is like waving a red flag. He missed the memo about what bad writers we were dealing with. LOL

And looking at it from the opposite angle of Sparky romance tropes, what tropes did we get for John/anyone else or Elizabeth/anyone else? Simon? Old flame who cheats. Trope, but not one that gets them back together. Teyla? Possible love interest who has a baby with someone else. A trope that makes you go "ewww"? Like you said, all the most common romance tropes featured Sparky.
        Maybe tptb are that clueless. It's not the first time tptb accidentally write an epic otp, only to look weirdly at their fans while scratching their heads and wondering why are people shipping the pairing they never intended. Even Chris carter tried to sell the "Mulder and Scully are a beautiful PLATONIC friendship. No sex. No. EW," thing. They just have no idea how fans' minds work.

Comment

S-minus 1 hour to This Mortal Coil!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          Yes, it's located here. It's a pretty entertaining thread. Some of the Weir haters (who are 99% of the time avid shippers of a different John ship) came out with some of the most fantastical comments that made everyone else scratch their heads. Pretty funny.
          Yep, I remember the naysayers trying to handwave it all too. Funny is right.

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
          In spite of all the bad episodes on seasons 4 and 5, my Sparky spirit didn’t vanish. I can hold on to Sparky by looking at John. Most of his behaviour on these two seasons is Sparky (or at least I see it that way). John changed and that change, to me, to my Sparky eyes, is because of Elizabeth’s loss, and in a way, that keeps my Sparky spirit alive.

Personally I thought Adrift/Lifeline were among the best Sparky episodes. They were certainly the most emotionally exhausting. Sure it was extremely sad, and I didn't like the way Elizabeth's departure was handled in the end, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad episodes.

What made me keep on watching the last two seasons was John, if something would have happened to him too, I would have stopped watching the show.
          Bingo. That's exactly how I feel, too.

And now I can announce that the next part of PM is up. Hold on to your hats for this one. We can't wait for everyone's reaction.
          *cackles in glee*
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I loved the update but

Spoiler:
            I will admit that I somehow managed to put two and two together already through this update and the previous once that once I read the final sentences I said “I knew it”, but it was still awesome and I loved the little scene between John and Franibeth, though now I can’t wait until I get to find out how things will go from here, haha, it’s a bit funny how for around two season we had no Elizabeth and now we might get two, at least possibly depending on who the primus is
            sigpic

Comment

S-minus 30 minutes to This Mortal Coil!

Originally posted by Brie View Post
              I loved the update but

Spoiler:
              I will admit that I somehow managed to put two and two together already through this update and the previous once that once I read the final sentences I said “I knew it”, but it was still awesome and I loved the little scene between John and Franibeth, though now I can’t wait until I get to find out how things will go from here, haha, it’s a bit funny how for around two season we had no Elizabeth and now we might get two, at least possibly depending on who the primus is
              Heheheh... just you wait!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I just spent a few minutes reading on the TMC episode thread and then my head exploded. Hopefully, I will be healed by postathon time. And for you relatively newbies, if you read even a little bit of that thread, you'll see how things were around here in the bad old days. I actually miss some of those posters.
                sigpic

Comment

S-minus 15 minutes to This Mortal Coil!

I just spent a few minutes reading on the TMC episode thread and then my head exploded. Hopefully, I will be healed by postathon time. And for you relatively newbies, if you read even a little bit of that thread, you'll see how things were around here in the bad old days. I actually miss some of those posters.
                  The good posters, or the bad ones?

Comment

Hello everyone! I am here and ready for TMC.

On the other hand and to my great regret, i am not sure if i will be able to read the next chapter of SGA Rising today.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

S-minus 5 minutes to This Mortal Coil!

Comment

I'm here and I'm ready, as ready as one can be, for TMC.
                        sigpic

Comment

S-minus 2 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            S-minus 15 minutes to This Mortal Coil!

The good posters, or the bad ones?
                            Both. LOL You know how much fun it used to be to poke the bear.
                            sigpic

Comment

S-minus 1 minute!

Comment

Both. LOL You know how much fun it used to be to poke the bear.
                                True fax, dat.

Comment

Working...
                                X