Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Probably less chaotic than ours.

Though I still fondly even remember our history teacher trying her very best to explain the US presidential elections to us. All we did really was stare back with blank faces. We gave her several more grey hairs during those classes.
    Don't worry, nobody over here really understands it either. Especially the voters. I think before you are allowed to vote, you should have to pass a test, but that may just be me.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    So folks what have I missed lately? Been going through a transitional phase.
    You missed a highbrow discussion of history, government and sociology. Better get some books and study up.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Is bad military history buff. What is the Last Post in Ypres?
      THis must be rectified at once -> Last Post Association

During the brief ceremonies this bit will also be said, to which the public will echo the "We will remember them" at the end.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
      Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
      At the going down of the sun and in the morning
      We will remember them."

American history may not be a priority in Europe...
      There is of course the notion that European history is a bit more diverse maybe - we have middle ages, dark ages, very dark ages, and then some... You have native americans whom I'm sure have such a rich history that I'd love to know about but never got a chance to cause it's not a priority in our history lessons.

...but I'm guessing some people are really into it. I was at a Civil War reenactment once and the guy who was explaining the action to the onlookers mentioned being at a full scale reenactment of the Battle of Shiloh conducted in England of all places.
      Yup, I have friends who are involved in WWII re-enactments as Allied troops. Or re-enacters as roman soldiers doing old battles that didn't even take place over here.
      Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 August 2012, 04:16 AM.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

During the brief ceremonies this bit will also be said, to which the public will echo the "We will remember them" at the end.

We will remember them."

There is of course the notion that European history is a bit more diverse maybe - we have middle ages, dark ages, very dark ages, and then some... You have native americans whom I'm sure have such a rich history that I'd love to know about but never got a chance to cause it's not a priority in our history lessons.

Yup, I have friends who are involved in WWII re-enactments as Allied troops. Or re-enacters as roman soldiers doing old battles that didn't even take place over here.
        That ceremony sounds lovely.

And yeah, it's not fair that we have to study World History and American History too. *pouts* Not to mention being qualified to teach both. But seriously, I always thought they both get the short end of the stick at times. I don't think anytime I ever taught American History, that I managed to get past WWII in a year. With World History, it was the French Revolution. LOL In college it's all split up into time periods, but if you don't major in history you never get any in depth study.

We have a lot of both Civil War and American Revolutionary War re-enactors around here. Virginia is a hotbed of history.

And yeah, I know you folks laugh at us when we call things "old." I remember when we were in Ronda, Spain. They have the "old bridge" and the "new bridge." The new one was built in 1600 A.D. or something. LOL
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          And yeah, I know you folks laugh at us when we call things "old." I remember when we were in Ronda, Spain. They have the "old bridge" and the "new bridge." The new one was built in 1600 A.D. or something. LOL

Yeah, old and new can have quite a different meaning over here.

Comment

We will remember them."

I have to agree with SR, that ceremony sounds lovely.

The only problem with Native American history is that for the longest time it was only an oral history. I don't even want to guess how much of it was probably lost once they were forced onto reservations and into "the white man's" schools. On top of that there were the mound builder socities that left no records of any kind except their mounds which no one can seem to figure out what they were used for.

Joining one of those re-enacting groups would be right up my alley. Just need to make sure I can keep this job for a few years before looking into things like that.
            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

On top of that there were the mound builder socities that left no records of any kind except their mounds which no one can seem to figure out what they were used for.
              Never even heard of these - must find info on this. Sounds very intriguing... even if they didn't leave anything behind.

Comment

Never even heard of these - must find info on this. Sounds very intriguing... even if they didn't leave anything behind.
                That's easy enough. Just Google "Indian mounds." They are everywhere. Their history is fascinating and very varied, from the Eastern tribes to the Western tribes and up into Alaska. The Cherokee alone would keep you fascinated for a long time.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  That's easy enough. Just Google "Indian mounds." They are everywhere. Their history is fascinating and very varied, from the Eastern tribes to the Western tribes and up into Alaska. The Cherokee alone would keep you fascinated for a long time.
                  Sweet!

Comment

Hello everyone! I hope you’re having a good Sunday. I’m looking forward to ‘Aurora’ later on tonight.

I like this discussion of History, it was always one of my favorite subjects in school and I even studied it for a while in College which was fun.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh right, yeah... I won't be here for Aurora seeing as how it's my last day of holiday before I have to go back to work (which I really don't want to) and of course now my fic juices are flowing like crazy so I want to have as much writing done as is humanly possible before stress makes that impossible again.

Comment

Not only do you have to take both American and World history in high school, but most States have their own State history courses earlier - like middle school. I grew up in Ohio and Texas, so I had history in both. Ohio history includes mound builder societies. Native Americans in Texas are only lightly touched on. Unfortunate too, since Tejas is the Spanish version of the Caddo indian word táysha? "friend" and is how Texas got it's name.
                        sigpic

Comment

Our history consists of the following parts:

Prehistory
                          Stone Age
                          Iron & Bronze Age
                          Mesopotamia
                          Ancient Greece
                          Ancient Egypt
                          Ancient Rome
                          Dark Ages
                          Middle Ages
                          Pre-Industrial
                          French Revolution
                          Industrial Revolution
                          WWI & WWII
                          History of Belgium - politics, economy, social
                          History of Europe - politics, economy, social

History of the US is interwoven with the rest so only briefly touched upon.

And that's about it - unless like me you go on to university to study Archaeology and it all starts again but more in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Not only do you have to take both American and World history in high school, but most States have their own State history courses earlier - like middle school. I grew up in Ohio and Texas, so I had history in both. Ohio history includes mound builder societies. Native Americans in Texas are only lightly touched on. Unfortunate too, since Tejas is the Spanish version of the Caddo indian word táysha? "friend" and is how Texas got it's name.
                            Oh yeah, I forgot about state history. We're lucky here in Virginia that our state history is pretty much the same as colonial American history. The same was true mostly in NC where I grew up.

Our history consists of the following parts:

Prehistory
                            Stone Age
                            Iron & Bronze Age
                            Mesopotamia
                            Ancient Greece
                            Ancient Egypt
                            Ancient Rome
                            Dark Ages
                            Middle Ages
                            Pre-Industrial
                            French Revolution
                            Industrial Revolution
                            WWI & WWII
                            History of Belgium - politics, economy, social
                            History of Europe - politics, economy, social

History of the US is interwoven with the rest so only briefly touched upon.

And that's about it - unless like me you go on to university to study Archaeology and it all starts again but more in detail.
                            That's pretty much what was covered when I taught 6th grade. I loved the Greece/Rome and later, The Middle Ages parts. We did murals and built castles and had all sorts of fun. One of our field trips every year was to the National Cathedral where we did stone rubbings. No, I don't miss it.
                            sigpic

Comment

hello sparkies!

RL has been insane again as usual...I hate when RL keeps me from having fun
                              My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                              sigpic

Comment

Hi Sparkies! I'm back from the Olympics and I'm going to bed, I might be at our post-a-thon... who knows

Comment

Working...
                                X