Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    There's another option. They use the ZPM's to power to the shields, and then use generators to power everything else a la s1. The shields should only be under the strain equivalent to them being under the ocean (given that they're not under attack), so could presumably last ten thousand years (probably only three or four thousand).
    That's quite possible. We do know that Colonel Everett's team brought advanced naquadah generators to Atlantis in The Siege that were capable of (just barely) powering the control chair. And they've certainly had enough time since then to work out those problems.

That said, the fact that they're in space adds a further power requirement. If Atlantis is still meant to be a secret, they'd probably have it on the far side of the moon, meaning they'd need to fire off their engines every now and then to maintain their position.
    That's assuming it'd be floating in space. I think the intention was that Atlantis would've been landed on the surface of the moon.

It's handwavable. The Earth gate has a McGyver'd DHD, and the Atlantis gate has different dialing protocols (presumably). If they wanted, they could use the fact that Atlantis is in space as an excuse for it being far enough away for them to create a workaround for the DHD's. It may be as simple as recalibrating the position of the Atlantis gate so that it is 'tricked' into thinking it is further away. Given how quickly Zelenka managed to get it to dial out in EatG I can't see this being a problem.

Of course, that's only if they wanted to go down that path.
    Indeed.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    The other thing is that Carter said that in Continuum, which would have chronologically when Atlantis was still sitting around the Pegasus galaxy. Why would she have brought it up then? Was it just supposed to be a joke that turned out to be true or was there some sort of plan by the SGC to bring the city of Atlantis back to Earth even after Season 4 of SGA?
    I agree with gateraid that it was probably originally intended to be a random line, but then, like in the case with the AU from The Last Man, life ended up imitating art. So to speak. I have to admit, exploring those ironies would've been interesting.

Others would be better placed to comment, but I gather they were planning on bringing the city back to Earth for s6 anyway. Made of fail IMO
    Hmm, I hadn't heard that. But yes, that would've been so made of fail.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    Question: did Joe mallozzi ever give that in-depth look about extinction on his blog?
    Not as far as I saw. But I just quickly skimmed over stuff, so it's certainly possible I missed something.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      That's quite possible. We do know that Colonel Everett's team brought advanced naquadah generators to Atlantis in The Siege that were capable of (just barely) powering the control chair. And they've certainly had enough time since then to work out those problems.
      It's been a long time since I've watched Seige II, but I seem to remember them being dialed up to 600% and operating in a state of 'barely contained overload'. Maybe they could use one of the ones they use to blow up the stargates (maybe they were even the same ones - like I said, it's been a while).

That's assuming it'd be floating in space. I think the intention was that Atlantis would've been landed on the surface of the moon.
      Shep better school up on his landings before they attempt that, else he'll crush the stardrive I guess they mustn't be too worried about anyone seeing it. Mind you, they've never dealt with the plot hole of the Deadalus/Apollo/Oddessy/George Hammond/Prometheus being in orbit around Earth (even opening up hyperspace windows) without anyone seeing them.

Indeed.
      If they did put it on Earth, they'd pretty much have to do that in order to be able to travel from Earth to Atlantis. Either that, or install Asgard beam technology in the city. Or reduce Caldwell's bus service trip to between Earth and the moon

I agree with gateraid that it was probably originally intended to be a random line, but then, like in the case with the AU from The Last Man, life ended up imitating art. So to speak. I have to admit, exploring those ironies would've been interesting.
      I think I may have commented in the Continuum thread at the time that the moon reference may have actually been code for her ass

Hmm, I hadn't heard that. But yes, that would've been so made of fail.
      It was probably just one of those ideas that they bandied about. I'm not sure how much truth there was too it.
      sigpic

Comment

As I understand it, Mallozzi is doing a recap of the entire 10 year run of SG-1, then he will move on to SGA. He'll probably save Extinction for last. It will likely be a few weeks before he gets to it. I'm watching the blog.

Glad we all seem to have survived the end of the world. DH tweeted.

Back from a fantastic day at Palace Flanigan! Wonder how long it'll take him to figure out all his computer's and ipad's new passwords? :-)

I'd have to pronounce this Rapture an epic fail...which is good since I spent it with @joeflanigan!
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

It's been a long time since I've watched Seige II, but I seem to remember them being dialed up to 600% and operating in a state of 'barely contained overload'. Maybe they could use one of the ones they use to blow up the stargates (maybe they were even the same ones - like I said, it's been a while).
          Hmm, true. Or I suppose they could've come up with an even more powerful generator. It has been a while.

Shep better school up on his landings before they attempt that, else he'll crush the stardrive I guess they mustn't be too worried about anyone seeing it. Mind you, they've never dealt with the plot hole of the Deadalus/Apollo/Oddessy/George Hammond/Prometheus being in orbit around Earth (even opening up hyperspace windows) without anyone seeing them.
          Gravity on the moon isn't nearly as strong as it is on Earth. Plus, moon dust is supposed to be pretty soft. I don't think John would have that much trouble.

If they did put it on Earth, they'd pretty much have to do that in order to be able to travel from Earth to Atlantis. Either that, or install Asgard beam technology in the city. Or reduce Caldwell's bus service trip to between Earth and the moon
          Caldwell would probably think of that as a vacation, comparatively speaking.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          As I understand it, Mallozzi is doing a recap of the entire 10 year run of SG-1, then he will move on to SGA. He'll probably save Extinction for last. It will likely be a few weeks before he gets to it. I'm watching the blog.

Glad we all seem to have survived the end of the world. DH tweeted.

Back from a fantastic day at Palace Flanigan! Wonder how long it'll take him to figure out all his computer's and ipad's new passwords? :-)

I'd have to pronounce this Rapture an epic fail...which is good since I spent it with @joeflanigan!
          LMAO! Ah, Joe and Hewlett have always got the best Tweets. Can't wait to see what Joe says in response!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Morning Sparkies! Glad to see we all survived.

Thanks, SR, for the ticker for SGA Rising. Reminds me I've really got to get my behind moving on that re-watch. And I'd better start skipping ones that aren't needed. I can always go back and watch them later.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
              Morning Sparkies! Glad to see we all survived.
              Of course we all survived. Everyone knows that the end of the world isn't until 2012. LOL!

Comment

Of course we all survived. Everyone knows that the end of the world isn't until 2012. LOL!
                You also forgot about the Apophis asteroid that's suppose to hit earth in about 15 to 20 years

Comment

Yeah but now I have to do laundry and grocery shopping. I was kinda hoping to avoid those.

Hmm... wonder how they did laundry on Atlantis? I can imagine John putting one of Elizabeth's red shirts in the laundry with his clothes and his boxers ending up pink.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    You also forgot about the Apophis asteroid that's suppose to hit earth in about 15 to 20 years
                    But if the world ends in 2012, we won't have to worry about that.

Yeah but now I have to do laundry and grocery shopping. I was kinda hoping to avoid those.

Hmm... wonder how they did laundry on Atlantis? I can imagine John putting one of Elizabeth's red shirts in the laundry with his clothes and his boxers ending up pink.
                    There was a great fic about the laundry. I think John had boxers with little airplanes on them. Someone will find it, I'm sure.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      There was a great fic about the laundry. I think John had boxers with little airplanes on them. Someone will find it, I'm sure.
                      There was a scene in the laundry room in Casualties of War.

Some of the older books that weren't available to buy are now available to download. I remember there was one of them that seemed universally liked? Was it Exogenesis?

Comment

*snickers*

I know there was a fic with exactly that happening... Was it by our buddy PK? Wonder what he's up to right now...

There was a scene in the laundry room in Casualties of War.

Some of the older books that weren't available to buy are now available to download. I remember there was one of them that seemed universally liked? Was it Exogenesis?
                        Exogenesis is good, heck any of the ones by Elizabeth Christensen and Sonny Whitelaw are good.

Comment

i read the novelization of air. it seems sometime after the events of enemy at the gate, the apollo, the sun tzu and the daedalus were all repaired and were guarding earth due to the attack at icarus base.
                          Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 22 May 2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

That actually raises a continuity issue. I thought TPBT said it took place days after EatG. If the Apollo and Sun Tzu are reclaimed and repaired it must be months after the SGA finale wouldn't it? Colonel Ellis said they were months from the nearest stargate didn't he?
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

That actually raises a continuity issue. I thought TPBT said it took place days after EatG. If the Apollo and Sun Tzu are reclaimed and repaired it must be months after the SGA finale wouldn't it? Colonel Ellis said they were months from the nearest stargate didn't he?
                              yes he did. makes you wonder how long the george hammond was in dry dock until it was launched. but then again trying to figure out the timeline continuity in stargate gives me a headache.

Comment

I thought it was supposed to be "days to weeks." Which then begs the question, how many weeks? Still, it's definitely stretching credibility a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X