Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    The older I get, the less I care about "politically correct". I'm doing my best to be a decent human being, though. That includes a certain level of tollerance when it comes to differences. Modern society ha kicked pretty much all traditional values aside, and look how good that turned out. I recently heard Zubin Mehta talking about Bethooven, music and art in general and he said pretty interesting things - like our culture being bombarded with cr*p from youtube, not being able to tell difference between real art and cr*p, when too many people put that c**p in modern art museums and call it art, then make a book about it and call it art. You get the point. I see kids every day, who can't tell what's rigth and what's wrong and they seem to believe that respecting a teacher or a grownup is a sign of weakness of character. And that IMO is wrong.

I remember that old interview with Joe F about why John wouldn't let teyla go off world while she was pregnant. The female interviewer obviously had a problem understanding why the two didn't go well together. then she called John what? Oldfashioned? And Joe put it nicely saying John is simply old school. I like him that way; he obviously does have a strong set of personal values that he abides, and so does Elizabeth. I like the sense of maturity they have, and the fact that you can't fool them around.

aaaand I think I just went into yet another long winded ramble. I guess I needed it.
    Sing it to me, sistah! Political correctness can go take a flying leap off a fifty-foot cliff, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not impressed with today's pop culture, either. It's all artifice and chicanery. Whee, watch me use those big words!

That interviewer called John "old-fashioned?" *headdesk* No honey, he's just being realistic, as a military commander with a pregnant team member should be. You don't send a pregnant woman into a potential combat situation. Period.

Gee, now I'm starting to feel the need to rant.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Sing it to me, sistah! Political correctness can go take a flying leap off a fifty-foot cliff, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not impressed with today's pop culture, either. It's all artifice and chicanery. Whee, watch me use those big words!

That interviewer called John "old-fashioned?" *headdesk* No honey, he's just being realistic, as a military commander with a pregnant team member should be. You don't send a pregnant woman into a potential combat situation. Period.

Chicanery is a fun word.

I didn't understand why so many people had an issue with him not wanting a pregnant woman to go out in the field. I'm all for women's equality, but it's not about that. It's about safety.

I didn't watch the Oscars either. I haven't seen any of the movies yet! I'm more of a renter than a movie-goer.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        Chicanery is a fun word.

I didn't understand why so many people had an issue with him not wanting a pregnant woman to go out in the field. I'm all for women's equality, but it's not about that. It's about safety.

I didn't watch the Oscars either. I haven't seen any of the movies yet! I'm more of a renter than a movie-goer.
        I have no clue as to what that word means
        *After having looked it up* That is indeed a fun word

I think it would be an issue if he took a pregnant woman(Shortened to PW because.. I'm lazy atm ) out onto the field.
        Maybe with Teyla's people it's normal for PWs to go out and join the hunt, but in our culture, we let them rest. We don't want harm to the baby or the woman.
        As you said, for safety.
        Sure, Teyla is an irreplaceable member of the team, but she'd be a liability in that condition. To herself, the team and Atlantis.
        Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Wonderful signatures by wonderful people.(Not me thus =] )
        My secret: .. .- -- -- .- .-. .-. .. . -.. - --- -- .- .--- --- .-. .-.. --- .-. -. .

Comment

Originally posted by Siara.Corvus View Post
          Maybe with Teyla's people it's normal for PWs to go out and join the hunt, but in our culture, we let them rest. We don't want harm to the baby or the woman.
          BINGO! You just won the game!

Athosians are not our culture and shouldn't be looked upon as if they were.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

This picture screamed for a caption so a caption it shall get

: So you read over the mission reports.....*trails into a long speech*
            : *Is silent occasionally says Yup UH huh*
            : Colonel Sheppard look at my face and not what I am thinking you are looking at.
            BALCONIES
            The Breeding Ground of Ships.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Yes but John is her team leader and therefore responsible for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                The older I get, the less I care about "politically correct". I'm doing my best to be a decent human being, though. That includes a certain level of tollerance when it comes to differences. Modern society ha kicked pretty much all traditional values aside, and look how good that turned out. I recently heard Zubin Mehta talking about Bethooven, music and art in general and he said pretty interesting things - like our culture being bombarded with cr*p from youtube, not being able to tell difference between real art and cr*p, when too many people put that c**p in modern art museums and call it art, then make a book about it and call it art. You get the point. I see kids every day, who can't tell what's rigth and what's wrong and they seem to believe that respecting a teacher or a grownup is a sign of weakness of character. And that IMO is wrong.

I remember that old interview with Joe F about why John wouldn't let teyla go off world while she was pregnant. The female interviewer obviously had a problem understanding why the two didn't go well together. then she called John what? Oldfashioned? And Joe put it nicely saying John is simply old school. I like him that way; he obviously does have a strong set of personal values that he abides, and so does Elizabeth. I like the sense of maturity they have, and the fact that you can't fool them around.

aaaand I think I just went into yet another long winded ramble. I guess I needed it.

*high fives sistahs* I couldn't have said it better. Rant all you want, you two. I may join you. You've summed up nicely just one of the reasons our society, not just the US but the whole world, is on a slippery slide to crazy land. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tired of political correctness, ignorance and just plain old being too lazy to learn the fact about what is really going on rather than just believing some talking head with a mouthful of teeth who tells you what to believe. Oh, sorry....still ranting.

I loved JF's response to that stupid interviewer. He didn't even understand what they were trying to say at first....what do you mean he's old fashioned for not wanting a pregnant woman to be in combat? For pity's sake, she was putting all of them in danger. Not to mention herself and her baby. Culture be dammed. Oh, am I ranting again? Anyway...thank God for common sense. Only one of the reasons I would still love that man even if he was as ugly as homemade soap.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Chicanery is a fun word.
                  I have no clue as to what that word means
                  *After having looked it up* That is indeed a fun word
                  You betcha it's a fun word!

I think it would be an issue if he took a pregnant woman(Shortened to PW because.. I'm lazy atm ) out onto the field.
                  As you said, for safety.
                  Sure, Teyla is an irreplaceable member of the team, but she'd be a liability in that condition. To herself, the team and Atlantis.
                  You two got it in one.

Yes but John is her team leader and therefore responsible for her.
                  Yes, he is responsible for her as team leader, and furthermore, as Atlantis's military commander, he is obligated to set an example for all the men and women under his command. If he makes an exception for Teyla, it'll be seen as favoritism and it would undermine his authority. He may not like being The Man, but the fact is, he IS The Man.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  *high fives sistahs* I couldn't have said it better. Rant all you want, you two. I may join you. You've summed up nicely just one of the reasons our society, not just the US but the whole world, is on a slippery slide to crazy land. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is tired of political correctness, ignorance and just plain old being too lazy to learn the fact about what is really going on rather than just believing some talking head with a mouthful of teeth who tells you what to believe. Oh, sorry....still ranting.

I loved JF's response to that stupid interviewer. He didn't even understand what they were trying to say at first....what do you mean he's old fashioned for not wanting a pregnant woman to be in combat? For pity's sake, she was putting all of them in danger. Not to mention herself and her baby. Culture be dammed. Oh, am I ranting again? Anyway...thank God for common sense. Only one of the reasons I would still love that man even if he was as ugly as homemade soap.
                  Homemade soap, you say? Now that just leads into all manner of naughty mental images just in time for Smut Day tomorrow.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Homemade soap, you say? Now that just leads into all manner of naughty mental images just in time for Smut Day tomorrow.
                    The Lady has pleanty of dirty thoughts for Sparky which is why I love Smutty Tuesday.....one is for my multi chaptered what if opus. Let's just say Sheppards taking a bath after a long whumpy day and a certain woman named Elizabeth joins him. No action though lots of cuddling but its still hot.

Yup I have the mind of a man.
                    BALCONIES
                    sigpic

Comment

Sparky in the bath? I rather like this one: Bath Time, by Elvinborn.

Comment

Yes Dear Sparky in a bath....unfortunately for your smut lovers it's Liz sitting on John's lap and holding him tight...but hey at least we got fluff. with sexual overtones
                        BALCONIES
                        sigpic

Comment

Not "unfortunate" at all. Sometimes, it's better to entice but leave a few things to the imagination.

Before I sign off for the night, meme time!

Day the Twenty-Eighth: Favorite enemy
                          The Wraith. When I saw them for the first time in "Rising," I got a nice, creepy in a Lovecraftian-way vibe that I had never felt from any of the villains in SG-1. Sadly, the Wraith didn't stay creepy much beyond Season 1 and were almost clownish by the time we rolled around to Season 5, but I'll never forget the ghoulish chill that went down my spine as I watched the Wraith Keeper suck the life out of Colonel Sumner.

And that's it for tonight. Pleasant Sparky dreams!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                            Good answers. I thought of another unpopular opinion of mine. Since so many of you chose "Fly, Lucius, fly." as your least favorite line, I have to say it. I liked that line. It was one of the few times Elizabeth made me LOL. It was meant to be OTT so I took it in a Galaxy Quest kind of way. Just my warped sense of humor I guess.
                            Each to their own But ZOMG Galaxy Quest!!!! If only I could wipe my memory (of that film) and watch it again.

Loved your proposed ending. That would be a great way to launch into a movie. All they need now is for something to happen that tells them Elizabeth is alive and they're off on a new adventure.
                            It could have been a launching point for a movie, or a complete end. As you say, it would've been better with a hint of Elizabeth. While I thought EatG was poorly done, with a few tweaks (and some extensive editing) it could've been a good episode.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

*snerks*

The Wraith even look like KISS-wannabes.
                            I'm still not convinced that they weren't the inspiration for their image

That would've kicked ass. I think I would've liked GitM a bit more had they at least tried to tie it into other events in that way.
                            Imagine if Kolya had taunted him about Ford, Weir, Kate (he was ultimately responsible), Carson (in his head, he must've surely wondered if he couldn't have done something to stop him), Michael's rampant killing spree

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            I'm not here often those days but I'm back just to say: THERE IS A BIG CHANCE I WILL MEET TORRI IN OCTOBER IN FRANCE!!!!!! My friends who were with me in Stockholm want to go at this convention. After Joe, Torri. I'm doing a happy dance.lol
                            She can probably hear you screaming already

I'm back on me-time, I could probably help out in continuity... Seen all of SG1 and all of SGA (multiple times as you know ). And I was there when SGA Rising was born... Grammar, however, is so not for me since I'm not a native speaker.
                            I am a native speaker, but it still isn't a strong point for me

Holy smokes I don't log on for 2 days and there's so many new messages!

I agree with you on this one. She annoyed me from the first episode I saw her in (Prometheus Unbound).
                            If they hadn't made the hiccups such a big part of her character, she'd have been fine. I also wasn't a fan of her Seige III scenes (what was the point of telling Caldwell that Hermiad had his/her knickers in a twist?).

I loved him saying "Stop screwing around Bob!" I just liked the way he said it.
                            Great line, great delivery

Yeah if I was a shipper for that pair, that scene would have gotten my hopes up. It seemed like the writers needed to check with each other about what the long term plan was, so they would all know what they were doing and things wouldn't seem so disjointed. Of course, this is assuming they had a plan. By season 3, it felt like we had Gero in one corner and Binder in another. And the others would put stuff in depending on the plot.

I was rewatching Season 1, and they seemed much more open to all ships back then. There was alot of Rodney/Elizabeth interaction as well as John/Teyla, in addition to John/Elizabeth.
                            They had a plan. Unfortunately they never looked at it

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                            I can help with grammer!!!!!
                            But sweetie, you misspelled grammar.
                            Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                            Hey I can write but cant spell! Sue me!
                            Sorry, but that made my day I know, pot calling kettle black

Meme time!

Day the Twenty-Seventh: Funniest screen cap

Spoiler:
                            "Conversion" - Elizabeth Weir: Solitaire Addict. Made. Of. Win.
                            Rock that tablet computer, Lizzeh!
                            It's funnier in conjunction with the commentary - MG said he wrote it to call Torri out on the fact that she was always playing it when they weren't filming

Not "unfortunate" at all. Sometimes, it's better to entice but leave a few things to the imagination.

Before I sign off for the night, meme time!

Day the Twenty-Eighth: Favorite enemy
                            The Wraith. When I saw them for the first time in "Rising," I got a nice, creepy in a Lovecraftian-way vibe that I had never felt from any of the villains in SG-1. Sadly, the Wraith didn't stay creepy much beyond Season 1 and were almost clownish by the time we rolled around to Season 5, but I'll never forget the ghoulish chill that went down my spine as I watched the Wraith Keeper suck the life out of Colonel Sumner.

And that's it for tonight. Pleasant Sparky dreams!
                            That was a great scene. Such a contrast to SG-1 at the time. Over the years that distinction became less and less
                            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                              It could have been a launching point for a movie, or a complete end. As you say, it would've been better with a hint of Elizabeth. While I thought EatG was poorly done, with a few tweaks (and some extensive editing) it could've been a good episode.
                              That's true of a number of episodes. The story ideas themselves sound intriguing, it's just that the resulting episodes weren't executed well. Shoddy script writing, cheesy special effects, hacked up editing... yeah.

I'm still not convinced that they weren't the inspiration for their image
                              *snickers* Wouldn't surprise me.

Imagine if Kolya had taunted him about Ford, Weir, Kate (he was ultimately responsible), Carson (in his head, he must've surely wondered if he couldn't have done something to stop him), Michael's rampant killing spree
                              I know! It gives me all sorts of good shivers just thinking about it.

They had a plan. Unfortunately they never looked at it
                              Ahahahahah! Good comeback!

It's funnier in conjunction with the commentary - MG said he wrote it to call Torri out on the fact that she was always playing it when they weren't filming
                              Gero was wrong to do that, though. Any 'blame' should rest with the props department for using a practical item (rather than just a non-working mockup) for other scenes when it wasn't needed.

That was a great scene. Such a contrast to SG-1 at the time. Over the years that distinction became less and less
                              Yup. It was such a great 'oh s**t!' moment, and it really helped set the tone for the rest of the season. Too bad they didn't stick with it.

Comment

I thought I would share a humorous post in my Sparky Rp thread with my friend. So what is happening is John and Liz are talking about taking safety precautions in their relationships and John mentions McKay figured it out on his own and McKay makes a humorous appearance:

Spoiler:
                                A smile grazed further when Elizabeth mentioned that it was John and the rest of his team that kept her going. It kept him going too. With his mother long gone and his father disapproving his choice not to be a utlities mogal like him he had no true family. The people on this expedition became his family. Teyla and Ronon were his siblings and McKay was somewhat of a fatherly like figure.

John didn't know how to catagorize Elizabeth in his family. She was basically everything, a mother, a sister, a friend.

They moved as one unit, felt each other's pain and caught each other as they fell. It was them that kept him going in the dark hours of the night with the Wraith. Getting home and being with his family aboard Atlantis. That and he imagined Elizabeth calling out to him to keep running as he did not to long before when she fell into the spell of the nanites.

"I am going to be honest," He said taking a deep breath snuggling close to her, "that whole time, during that hell I only thought about coming home to you guys it made the situation less painful."

He would stop there and wouldnt say more. It was enough for now, eventually he would be able to speak more about it. But it was better if the conversation went in the opposite direction. Luckily the topic quickily changed, one to a more cautious topic.

Keeping this private. Of course Sheppard would have loved to the climb to the tallest tower on Atlantis and profess his love to Elizabeth. But was different, since Elizabeth was the boss it was more risky to start a relationship with her rather than someone than Teyla. There were *******s like Kavanaugh who would probably assume this relationship was occuring only for power and greed.

He scrunched his face at the thought. He would never use Elizabeth for his own agenda. But at least they agreed on a few people.

"Don't worry I only told Teyla and Ronon," He said, "and McKay.....figured it out too quickly...but I told him if he outted us I would-"

Before John could finish his sentence a booming obnoxious singing voice cut him off:

I'm not talking of a hurried night
                                A frantic tumble then a shy goodbye
                                Creeping home before it gets too light
                                That's not the reason that I caught your eye
                                Which has to imply, I'd be good for you
                                I'd be surprisingly good for you

He turned his head and growled when he saw McKay on a high perch singing.

"RODNEY!" John snapped his face turning bright red in embarassment. McKay had scurried off by then. He turned back to Elizabeth with a smile on his face. "Don't mind Rodney....McKay's being....McKay about this."

(Lyrics from "I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You" from the Musical Evita)

Of course in my next post as John....He will say since Elizabeth is doubtful McKay will be Quiet that Ronon pinned him to a wall while John threatened him with a Lemon.
                                BALCONIES
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X