No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update for those of you waiting for the status of our next shuttle launch online viewing party, the techies at NASA have declared space shuttle Discovery is 'go' for a launch attempt Thursday at 3:29pm Eastern Time. However, the weather forecast for tomorrow is not so good, so the launch could still be scrubbed. Stay tuned; those of you on the East Coast will probably know whether or not there's been a scrub before I wake up in the morning.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
    Don't you know, all men hate it when beautiful women hug them?
    Suuuuuure they do.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    Oh, no, I didn't think you thought that. Perish the thought I get not seeing a ship, but I don't get not seeing a friendship in this particular instance *shrugs*
    Oh, I know you knew I didn't think that way. Frankly, I don't get not seeing a friendship there, either. The very idea that they're not at least friends, with all the playful banter going on between them, is just ludicrous.

I'm not sure what my reaction would be. I like my boss, but not in the same way I think John likes Liz. For one thing, my boss is a dude Naturally, I would be upset. Especially given the likelihood is that I probably killed him (not on purpose, I just work in a job where potentially fatal accidents could happen, although the chance of that is extremely minimal)
    Heh!

ZOMG!! He must be sexually harassing her right back!! It's a wonder Caldwell didn't have them beamed to opposite sides of the city until they sorted out their differences /snark
    AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! (and then Caldwell tries to woo Lizzeh while wearing his manly courting sweater...)

And it's bedtime for this little kitty... Nighty-night, all, and pleasant Sparky dreams!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Update for those of you waiting for the status of our next shuttle launch online viewing party, the techies at NASA have declared space shuttle Discovery is 'go' for a launch attempt Thursday at 3:29pm Eastern Time. However, the weather forecast for tomorrow is not so good, so the launch could still be scrubbed. Stay tuned; those of you on the East Coast will probably know whether or not there's been a scrub before I wake up in the morning.
      Well, it's possible the weather forecasters could be wrong. I know, it seldom happens, but it is technically possible.

Suuuuuure they do.
      Where are these guys who don't like being hugged by beautiful women? Oh, gotcha, they're hugging other men

Oh, I know you knew I didn't think that way. Frankly, I don't get not seeing a friendship there, either. The very idea that they're not at least friends, with all the playful banter going on between them, is just ludicrous.
      I could see them not being friends if every episode was like Rising (minus the end scene) or Hot Zone (again, minus the end scene). But there is certainly enough evidence to say that they at least got along well. If there is no friendship there, then that puts serious doubt on the relationships between all of the expedition. Ronon & Teyla must hate each other, because they always argue. She even put a knife to his throat (in Trinity), so she must want him dead. To that end, the pair of them must have a serious distrust of Atlantis personel, thinking them too 'duty bound'. Woosley must be an alcoholic, because he had whiskey in one ep and wine in another. The cigars he smokes must've stunted his growth, because he is shorter than John & Ronon. He also doesn't care about Ronon & Teyla because only after Atlantis had gone through pre-flight, then been in hyperspace for presumably half a day, did he actually ask if they wanted to go to Earth (when it was too late to stop anyway). In Return I, Ronon didn't want to leave Pegasus until every last Wraith was dead, so he must have a fetish. And it goes on...................

Heh!
      Don't worry, it would be more likely that I'd kill myself (not in the way it sounds)

AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! (and then Caldwell tries to woo Lizzeh while wearing his manly courting sweater...)
      I wish I'd heard you call it that before I'd seen the episodes, because I just can't take him seriously after that.

And it's bedtime for this little kitty... Nighty-night, all, and pleasant Sparky dreams!
      Nighty night
      sigpic

Comment

Well, it's possible the weather forecasters could be wrong. I know, it seldom happens, but it is technically possible.

Where are these guys who don't like being hugged by beautiful women? Oh, gotcha, they're hugging other men

I could see them not being friends if every episode was like Rising (minus the end scene) or Hot Zone (again, minus the end scene). But there is certainly enough evidence to say that they at least got along well. If there is no friendship there, then that puts serious doubt on the relationships between all of the expedition. Ronon & Teyla must hate each other, because they always argue. She even put a knife to his throat (in Trinity), so she must want him dead. To that end, the pair of them must have a serious distrust of Atlantis personel, thinking them too 'duty bound'. Woosley must be an alcoholic, because he had whiskey in one ep and wine in another. The cigars he smokes must've stunted his growth, because he is shorter than John & Ronon. He also doesn't care about Ronon & Teyla because only after Atlantis had gone through pre-flight, then been in hyperspace for presumably half a day, did he actually ask if they wanted to go to Earth (when it was too late to stop anyway). In Return I, Ronon didn't want to leave Pegasus until every last Wraith was dead, so he must have a fetish. And it goes on...................

Don't worry, it would be more likely that I'd kill myself (not in the way it sounds)

I wish I'd heard you call it that before I'd seen the episodes, because I just can't take him seriously after that.

Nighty night
        I can tell you didn't read the episode threads or delve much into other areas of fandom when the show was on because most of the things you list as being ridiculous were brought up at one time or another. LOL

The cigar scene alone brought out all the OMG!don'ttheyknowsmokingwillkillyou fanatics. And as someone who hates smoking in any form, I can say they went way too far. John is definitely an alcoholic because of his love for beer. And don't even get me started on the tweets Joe has gotten about his drinking jokes. I once even read an "essay" on LJ that explained the proof that John hated Elizabeth and wanted her dead. And that was way back in early S3 I think.

In other words, there are a lot of fanatics in fandom. Don't think anything is too bizarre to be someone's hot button. Now I'm going to count down the minutes until we are modded for talking about other fans.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
          Yes, you gave the perfect examples of John's total dislike of Elizabeth.

Or when he completely freaked out and went on a quest for revenge when Kolya told him Elizabeth was dead? If someone would radio me and tell me he killed my boss, I'd buy the dude a present
          Ok, I'm overreacting, but that's the difference between caring for your boss/colleague (like John & Liz) and totally disliking your boss (me and my boss)

I still want to put that little snippet on the website

You're gonna see Joe again??? *iz jealous*
          And hey, you have an excuse to get in the autograph line: to give him an sgarising card!!

Oooh, I would love to hear his opinion about MGM's bankruptcy.

I agree! Even though, at fedcon, he came down to the bar to have a drink with the fans, he always seemed sorta nervous and unsure of what to do when someone approached him. But once you get talking to him and you don't act like a crazy fan, you really can have a decent conversation with him.

Guh, I'm still so jealous you got to hug him!!! We were totally not allowed to do that! *pouts*
          Patience, young Skywalker. There are better scenes coming that can provide much more enticing teasers than Rodney getting his hands burned by the cold railing.

As per SK's prediction (and because I'm an East Coaster I felt obligated to look) space shuttle Discovery's launch has indeed been delayed due to bad weather until Friday at 3:03 PM (presumably ET).

Looking for another hour lunch break to work on Return to Pegasus. Boo-YAH!
          Last edited by Eri13; 04 November 2010, 06:38 AM.
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            I can tell you didn't read the episode threads or delve much into other areas of fandom when the show was on because most of the things you list as being ridiculous were brought up at one time or another. LOL
            You are correct. I've really only been here, the ANTI s4/s5 thread, and some of the late s5 ep threads.

The cigar scene alone brought out all the OMG!don'ttheyknowsmokingwillkillyou fanatics. And as someone who hates smoking in any form, I can say they went way too far. John is definitely an alcoholic because of his love for beer. And don't even get me started on the tweets Joe has gotten about his drinking jokes. I once even read an "essay" on LJ that explained the proof that John hated Elizabeth and wanted her dead. And that was way back in early S3 I think.

In other words, there are a lot of fanatics in fandom. Don't think anything is too bizarre to be someone's hot button. Now I'm going to count down the minutes until we are modded for talking about other fans.
            My only problem with the cigar scene was that it was such a cheesy rip off of Boston Public. It seemed at odds with the rest of the show, but whatever. I recall them drinking only a handful of times over the years. Maybe John is a sly drinker, because he keep it a secret from us I'd love to read that essay (true story, I would). It's interesting looking at viewpoints that are the complete opposite of one's own.

As for Joe, people (general people, not you) need to stop looking at him as a role model. He's a great guy, but his job isn't to play a character during his personal life as well. If they're gonna jump on every little thing he does, he may as well stop telling them about it. Oh, what, he has? It reminds me of when this guy (I was going to link in a vid of him actually playing sport, but I had a feeling you would prefer these candid shots of him) this guy (Sonny Bill Williams) came down and started playing rugby in my area. There is as much press about his personal life (which is, frankly, guy paradise. Why lie? Who wouldn't want to have beautiful women throwing themselves at you? I am so jealous) as there is about his playing ability. My point with that is that people should look to what the person does in their public role - in Joe's case, 40mins per week on a cancelled show, in SBW's case, 80mins per week (if he's lucky) in our national team - rather than try to own every aspect of their lives. Seriously, what's next - Joe has a sex addiction because he has more than one child?

Yeah, there are a lot of fanatics in fandom. Which is unfortunate. It doesn't help that sci-fi tends to attract, shall we say, people from only one end of the social spectrum. It's why sci-fi shows always seem to over explain every single human emotion and why it is important. To be fair, SGA doesn't do that so much.
            sigpic

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

As Eri reported, the shuttle launch is now set for Friday at 3:03pm Eastern Time; I'll be here for the live viewing, and I hope to see as many of you as can make it here!

ROTFLMAO! Oh, surely that must be the real Stargate Atlantis! LOL!

*cackles*

My only problem with the cigar scene was that it was such a cheesy rip off of Boston Public. It seemed at odds with the rest of the show, but whatever.
              See, that was my problem with it, too. I guess it may have been funnier for those who never saw Boston Legal.

Yeah, there are a lot of fanatics in fandom. Which is unfortunate. It doesn't help that sci-fi tends to attract, shall we say, people from only one end of the social spectrum. It's why sci-fi shows always seem to over explain every single human emotion and why it is important. To be fair, SGA doesn't do that so much.
              Although, also to be fair, it did hurt SGA sometimes when they didn't get into human emotions as much as they should have. Thank goodness for Joe's woobie face bringing out Sheppard's grief for Weir even when it wasn't scripted.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I guess there also must be evidence around pointing in another direction, aka, Elizabeth wanted John dead too. Heh. Let's not forget that Lucius Lavin inspired half expedition to become temporarily gay, because they were obviously in love with him. Well, all except John. Thank God for the cold. LOL.
                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

My ontopic comment:

Sparky Rules! And Caldwell's courting sweater drools.

Yes. I am five.

I might get to see the launch tomorrow. I don't go to work til 4pm!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    I guess there also must be evidence around pointing in another direction, aka, Elizabeth wanted John dead too. Heh. Let's not forget that Lucius Lavin inspired half expedition to become temporarily gay, because they were obviously in love with him. Well, all except John. Thank God for the cold. LOL.
                    Probably but I haven't seen that evidence. I think you can prove anything was true by watching this show. LOL Actually come to think of it, she did send him on a lot of dangerous missions. And he kept coming back. LOL
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

You are correct. I've really only been here, the ANTI s4/s5 thread, and some of the late s5 ep threads.

My only problem with the cigar scene was that it was such a cheesy rip off of Boston Public. It seemed at odds with the rest of the show, but whatever. I recall them drinking only a handful of times over the years. Maybe John is a sly drinker, because he keep it a secret from us I'd love to read that essay (true story, I would). It's interesting looking at viewpoints that are the complete opposite of one's own.

As for Joe, people (general people, not you) need to stop looking at him as a role model. He's a great guy, but his job isn't to play a character during his personal life as well. If they're gonna jump on every little thing he does, he may as well stop telling them about it. Oh, what, he has? It reminds me of when this guy (I was going to link in a vid of him actually playing sport, but I had a feeling you would prefer these candid shots of him) this guy (Sonny Bill Williams) came down and started playing rugby in my area. There is as much press about his personal life (which is, frankly, guy paradise. Why lie? Who wouldn't want to have beautiful women throwing themselves at you? I am so jealous) as there is about his playing ability. My point with that is that people should look to what the person does in their public role - in Joe's case, 40mins per week on a cancelled show, in SBW's case, 80mins per week (if he's lucky) in our national team - rather than try to own every aspect of their lives. Seriously, what's next - Joe has a sex addiction because he has more than one child?

Yes, I agree, it was quite Boston Public, but didn't bother me much. SGA writers can only dream to achieve that level of skill.

Oh yes, that's right! That must be it! John is a sly drinker. And abusing such ludicrous amounts of alcohol helps him enhance his shooting (and other military skills). really. There. That's the proof. The guy reeks of whiskey.

As for the real man, give him a break.

Comment

Yes, I agree, it was quite Boston Public, but didn't bother me much. SGA writers can only dream to achieve that level of skill.

Oh yes, that's right! That must be it! John is a sly drinker. And abusing such ludicrous amounts of alcohol helps him enhance his shooting (and other military skills). really. There. That's the proof. The guy reeks of whiskey.
                        190 proof, that is. *snorts*

As for the real man, give him a break.
                        Amen to that.

Comment

Probably but I haven't seen that evidence. I think you can prove anything was true by watching this show. LOL Actually come to think of it, she did send him on a lot of dangerous missions. And he kept coming back. LOL
                          LOL, but she sent him to suicide missions! Several times in fact! She let a Wraith feed on him! And she tried to kill him herself (well, alien consciousness did, but that doesn't count, 's not that important). Pffff. Yes. SGA is like Rorchach. You see what you wanna see.

I SEE SPARKY!!!!

Look! Can you see too?
                          Spoiler:

I wonder what John's hand is doing. LOOOL.

Comment

LOL, but she sent him to suicide missions! Several times in fact! She let a Wraith feed on him! And she tried to kill him herself (well, alien consciousness did, but that doesn't count, 's not that important). Pffff. Yes. SGA is like Rorchach. You see what you wanna see.

I SEE SPARKY!!!!

Look! Can you see too?

John is so feeling her up.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Although, also to be fair, it did hurt SGA sometimes when they didn't get into human emotions as much as they should have. Thank goodness for Joe's woobie face bringing out Sheppard's grief for Weir even when it wasn't scripted.
                              There's plenty of scope for it. I don't find people who never argue, and barely have disagreements, to be particularly believable. Especially when there was so much to argue about.

As for grief over lost comrades, Weir was shafted in that respect. There was not even a reference to a memorial. With Carson, he effectively got two - the actual one, then in Kindred II, they wrote it so that they could say the goodbye they never got to in Sunday.

Carson was leading the charge on that one, bless him, with Ronon following closely behind.

But she was testing his love for her. If you love someone, set them free send them on a dangerous mission. If they don't come back, they were never yours to begin with. If they do, then it is truly love.

I SEE SPARKY!!!!

Look! Can you see too?

Spoiler:

I wonder what Elizabeth's hand is doing? I think she's reaching for her napkin, but whatever

Spoiler:

We should be thanking you. You're paying for dinner, right?
                              Cheeky. Okay, I'll pay
                              I thought you might. You're as generous a boss as you are a lover
                              sigpic

Comment

There's plenty of scope for it. I don't find people who never argue, and barely have disagreements, to be particularly believable. Especially when there was so much to argue about.
                                Quite true.

As for grief over lost comrades, Weir was shafted in that respect. There was not even a reference to a memorial. With Carson, he effectively got two - the actual one, then in Kindred II, they wrote it so that they could say the goodbye they never got to in Sunday.
                                Also quite true. By that token, I suppose TPTW thought those final scenes in GitM were supposed to be the 'goodbye they never got' in Lifeline (or This Mortal Coil), but if so... shafted again.

Carson was leading the charge on that one, bless him, with Ronon following closely behind.
                                *snickers*

But she was testing his love for her. If you love someone, set them free send them on a dangerous mission. If they don't come back, they were never yours to begin with. If they do, then it is truly love.
                                I LIKE that!

Spoiler:
                                [ATTACH]28191[/ATTACH]

I wonder what Elizabeth's hand is doing? I think she's reaching for her napkin, but whatever
                                Or maybe her purse...

Spoiler:
                                [ATTACH]28190[/ATTACH]

We should be thanking you. You're paying for dinner, right?
                                Cheeky. Okay, I'll pay
                                I thought you might. You're as generous a boss as you are a lover
                                Heh!

Comment

Working...
                                X