Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melyanna
    I don't so much hate her as I wish she'd wear a shirt that fit.
    Now, now, I'm not one of Ms Emmagen's greatest fans... but let's not bash her on this thread...

Mainly because we'll be invaded by Tey'la fans... and I don't want that..

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      I wish people would stop trying to make Teyla what she isn't. She is a young girl - ask TPTB - who state she is 20-25. She is NOT 30. She is NOT highly educated. She does not have the maturity, experience, or class that Weir has. She has always been more age/maturity-appropriate for Ford.

As I have said before - Sheppard is a complex character who would not just settle for a hot young thing. Teyla would bore him to tears after awhile.

I'm in one of my "I don't like Teyla" moods today. Maybe I need some chocolate.
      My hubby and I both, respectfully, disagree. Teyla a young girl? Hubby totally thinks she's at LEAST 30 and so do most everyone I know who watches the show. Maybe on PAPER she was supposed to be a young chick...but she's not on screen.

Mind you...I still prefer a sibling relationship between Shep and Teyla. I think Shep and Weir fit better.

And Shep..for all his experience...and supposed age. He doesn't act it or look it. He and Teyla seem very close in age. Weir does come across as OLDER than SHEP to me in all ways. But there's nothing wrong with that.

The dynamic works well and there is chemistry. So I hope, at some point, there is Shep/Weir

Comment

It wasn't til Hot Zone that I really saw the potential of the Shep/Weir ship. I think it's because I am a sucker for conflict.

I have done a Shep/Weir wp for the episode but thought I'd better just link to it rather than post an image due to the possible spoilery nature of caps and dialogue used.

Sparks Fly

Merlin7 Teyla doesn't look young to me either. Just from watching the show and with no idea of what Rachel's actual age is or what age the character is intended to be, she came across to me as around 30ish. I'm a young looking 29 and I never would have thought she was younger than me. I know what age Sheppard is supposed to be but Joe looks younger than his actual age. Weir however does appear more mature. It's all a case of how they come across physically on screen.

My objection to Teyla/Shep has nothing to do with age differences because in the beginning I thought they looked okay together but as the series has progressed I just don't find their personalities mesh that well. They're okay as good friends but there isn't enough between them to make a romantic relationship interesting. Sheppard is my favourite character and I am looking forward to watching his ongoing development. Weir even in just a friendship relationship with Sheppard comes across as far more likely to draw out more of his character than Teyla. Weir has the ability to challenge him and make him open up. She is a people person, who is good one to one. Sheppard is very buddy-buddy with everyone but it's on a slightly superficial level. Sheppard has taken part in various recreational activities with Teyla but Weir has been able to get deeper under the surface in just normal conversations with him than Teyla ever has during their time together.

Esther
        Last edited by smallgirl; 14 January 2005, 03:24 PM.
        ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
        FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

Originally posted by smallgirl
          It wasn't til Hot Zone that I really saw the potential of the Shep/Weir ship. I think it's because I am a sucker for conflict.

I have done a Shep/Weir wp for the episode but thought I'd better just link to it rather than post an image due to the possible spoilery nature of caps and dialogue used.

Sparks Fly

Merlin7 Teyla doesn't look young to me either. Just from watching the show and with no idea of what Rachel's actual age is or what age the character is intended to be, she came across to me as around 30ish. I'm a young looking 29 and I never would have thought she was younger than me. I know what age Sheppard is supposed to be but Joe looks younger than his actual age. Weir however does appear more mature. It's all a case of how they come across physically on screen.

My objection to Teyla/Shep has nothing to do with age differences because in the beginning I thought they looked okay together but as the series has progressed I just don't find their personalities mesh that well. They're okay as good friends but there isn't enough between them to make a romantic relationship interesting. Sheppard is my favourite character and I am looking forward to watching his ongoing development. Weir even in just a friendship relationship with Sheppard comes across as far more likely to draw out more of his character than Teyla. Weir has the ability to challenge him and make him open up. She is a people person, who is good one to one. Sheppard is very buddy-buddy with everyone but it's on a slightly superficial level. Sheppard has taken part in various recreational activities with Teyla but Weir has been able to get deeper under the surface in just normal conversations with him than Teyla ever has during their time together.

Esther

First off. GORGEOUS WP! Love it.
          Word to what you said about Teyla/Shep and Weir and their ages on screen. That's exactly how I see them.

And I think Teyla and John as a friendship works. She's good for him in that she won't take crap from him and it's like a sibling thing.

Shep and Weir have a better dynamic and good chemistry and I can see a friendship developing, beyond the respect I think they have for each other, and that friendship maybe someday being more.

They are better suited in all ways.

I'm all about the Shep too.

Comment

Nicely put, everyone. If they manage to develop Teyla further than the token cute alien chick, I might warm up to her more. And I do like that she's willing to stand up to Shep. I also like that Shep doesn't fall over and do whatever she wants to do.
            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
            Last update: 14 April 2006
            Melyanna's Multimedia
            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Sparks Fly

Esther
              Gorgeous WP! I love the way Sheppard looks at Weir... makes me go all... squeeey...

Okay, enough about that...

I always think that what ship you see is all about yourself, my theory is, you usually fancy one half of the ship pairing (so most of us fancy Shep right) and then the female half is usually the female character you identify or like the most... of course there has to be interaction between the two characters.. and throw in some chemistry.. and there you go. I like Weir, I identify with her, she's about my age and I like the relationship that's been portrayed between her and Sheppard. Sheppard's character at the moment, has two ways to go, he can either mature and start seeing the bigger picture or he can remain the rebellious fly-boy and still see things in the present. I see his relationship with Weir bringing him along, however, I don't see his relationship with Teyla doing that.

At the moment, IMO, he's not mature enough for Weir in some ways. (I'm still pi$$ed at him for Hot Zone)

Teyla I find too cute and I don't identify with her. She's too attractive, for me to identify with, I don't see any personality to relate too, I think she's a man's woman and not a woman's woman. I can't see her gossing with the girls, but I can see her hanging around with the boys, you know the type. I would like to see her relate more to Weir, there was a nice scene with her and Weir in the Defiant One and some female understanding. That would be something I'd like to see (perhaps I'll go and post this in the Teyl'a thread)

Comment

I always think that what ship you see is all about yourself, my theory is, you usually fancy one half of the ship pairing (so most of us fancy Shep right) and then the female half is usually the female character you identify or like the most...
                Absolutely...you hit the nail on the head.

I'm 23, but I still identify like crazy with Weir....although, to be honest, I identify the most with Shep...he really shares my personality to an eerie extent...but then I thunk for him too. Sort of narcissistic perhaps.

Btw, astro -- your fic was fantastic. It had me panting heavily, with waves of tingling spreading over my body.

Your writing + my imagination = pure bliss!

Comment

I always think that what ship you see is all about yourself, my theory is, you usually fancy one half of the ship pairing (so most of us fancy Shep right) and then the female half is usually the female character you identify or like the most... of course there has to be interaction between the two characters.. and throw in some chemistry.. and there you go.
                  astronomicalchick ,yes fair_nymph is right you've nailed it. In the beginning I wasn't really interested in either Weir or Teyla with Shepp, probably because I don't really identify much with either of them. As time has progressed I have found Weir more interesting, just as a character for her own sake and no doubt that has made me more inclined to link her with Shepp.

Sheppard's character at the moment, has two ways to go, he can either mature and start seeing the bigger picture or he can remain the rebellious fly-boy and still see things in the present. I see his relationship with Weir bringing him along, however, I don't see his relationship with Teyla doing that.
                  Word! I love the rebellious fly-boy side of him, that's probably what made me like him so quickly in the pilot but he would eventually get dull, if that's all you ever got see from him. However Weir is a much more sensible, grounded person and therefore she is a nice contrast to that. He is forced when around Weir to be more than just that fly-boy, although I get the feeling from some of her amusement at his antics that she finds that side of him just as appealing as we fans do.

At the moment, IMO, he's not mature enough for Weir in some ways. (I'm still pi$$ed at him for Hot Zone)
                  spoilers for Hot Zone:-

Spoiler:
                  You're right, he behaved a bit like a petulant child, having a temper tantrum cos Weir wouldn't let him have his way, it made me want to slap and tell him to grow up BUT what was great was the end scene which I think showed Weir's maturity really well, she put him in his place whilst never undermining his position or showing him anything other than respect. Teyla had already told him off and he shrugged it off, Weir wouldn't let him.

She challenged him in a constructive way and I want to see more of that!

Also as well has Weir drawing out more maturity from Shepp, I think he would bring out more of her fun side if allowed, and that would be good to see as well.

Esther
                  Last edited by smallgirl; 15 January 2005, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Word! I love the rebellious fly-boy side of him, that's probably what made me like him so quickly in the pilot but he would eventually get dull, if that's all you ever got see from him. However Weir is a much more sensible, grounded person and therefore she is a nice contrast to that. He is forced when around Weir to be more than just that fly-boy, although I get the feeling from some of her amusement at his antics that she finds that side of him just as appealing as we fans do.

spoilers for Hot Zone:-

Spoiler:
                    You're right, he behaved a bit like a petulant child, having a temper tantrum cos Weir wouldn't let him have his way, it made me want to slap and tell him to grow up BUT what was great was the end scene which I think showed Weir's maturity really well, she put him in his place whilst never undermining his position or showing him anything other than respect. Teyla had already told him off and he shrugged it off, Weir wouldn't let him.

She challenged him in a constructive way and I want to see more of that!

Also as well has Weir drawing out more maturity from Shepp, I think he would bring out more of her fun side if allowed, and that would be good to see as well.

Esther
                    Thanks!

You've made me think about Hot Zone. You're right
                    Spoiler:
                    she did put him in his place without showing anything other than respect, unlike what he did to her. You can tell I'm still pi$$ed can't you?
                    that is what I really like about Weir's character, her maturity, her strength and her gentleness and respect for the person she's speaking to. Shep could learn such a lot from her.

And conversely, Weir could do with a bit of loosening up...and one of the things I like about their interactions is that he does bring a spark to her eyes, at least I think so! And he knows it...

I do hope that the new developments in season two continue to develop this relationship, serious v.s fun, big picture v.s personal, because it's so interesting and the two are sooo... cute together...

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
                      Absolutely...you hit the nail on the head.

I'm 23, but I still identify like crazy with Weir....although, to be honest, I identify the most with Shep...he really shares my personality to an eerie extent...but then I thunk for him too. Sort of narcissistic perhaps.

Btw, astro -- your fic was fantastic. It had me panting heavily, with waves of tingling spreading over my body.

Your writing + my imagination = pure bliss!
                      I'm glad you liked the fic, you're talking about Good Morning right? Cos I also wrote a smuttier small fic which is on the Weir and Sheppard livejournal site, but that's down so I'd point you in it's direction...

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                        I always think that what ship you see is all about yourself, my theory is, you usually fancy one half of the ship pairing (so most of us fancy Shep right) and then the female half is usually the female character you identify or like the most...
                        Great thoughts. I agree.

Teyla I find too cute and I don't identify with her.
                        Same here. She's too perfect. I'm still looking forward to "The Gift", maybe that episode will explore her character a bit more. But for now, I can't really identify with her - I couldn't even imagine being friends with her. I'd feel intimidated the whole time, I guess.

Edit: Whoops, I see we've moved on from the Teyla topic. So okay, back to astronomicalchick's theory about why we ship and who we ship for (is that a word?). I thunk for Weir and I think Shep's great, but that's not the only reason I like the shippyness. I think they're great together. Sheppard seems to be a bit younger than Weir, but I think they still make a great team (and couple) because she can beat some sense into him from time to time - not literally, of course. And vice versa, Weir seems more relaxed when she's around Sheppard.

Did that make any sense at all?
                        Last edited by CoffeeGirl; 15 January 2005, 08:45 AM.

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                        it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                        It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                        And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

And conversely, Weir could do with a bit of loosening up...and one of the things I like about their interactions is that he does bring a spark to her eyes, at least I think so! And he knows it...
                          I agree, he definitely brings a spark to her eyes and a smile to her lips. Rodney does as well, but not in quite the same way. She could do with loosening up and I sense she wants to but her position makes her reluctant maybe to let down her hair too much in case those below her don't take her seriously enough. Torri has spoken about how she is not playing Weir as someone 100% sure of her command role. Weir is humble and honest enough to realise that she isn't perfect, she takes her job very seriously and wants to do right by everyone. Therefore until she has been settled in Atlantis for a while and become more sure of herself and how everyone views her she won't relax her seriousness that much. Shepp's behaviour in HZ, probably didn't help this process but the way she handled it shows she will get there in the end. Spoiler for Hot Zone :-

Spoiler:
                          I found the end of their conversation, before McKay & Beckett rudely interrupted them, (I could have smacked them both at that point - not their fault of course but I was so enjoying the direction the conversation was heading in) very poignant! Her " you have to trust me", was a real reaching out for support, his " I do", was not affirmative enough - he does trust her, he just showed his lack of maturity by not realising how much she needed to hear it said convincingly, her " Do you?" was her attempting to explain her need to him and then of course it ended before anything could be satisfactorily resolved. Darn good writing, acting, character development and of course ending it where it was - dramatic tension! Makes me want to go back for a second round, hopefully that's what TPTB intended.

In the ep ( can't remember which one) where she temporarily joined Shepp, Ford & Teyla whilst they were watching the football, I felt that was Weir trying to loosen up but feeling unsure of her role. Shepp didn't really get the point that time either. He asked her if she liked football, surprised that she might and she admitted she didn't BUT that wasn't really the issue. The thing was Weir wanted to hang out with them on a social basis for a change. Didn't matter whether she liked it, she wanted the company.

Esther

Comment

I agree, he definitely brings a spark to her eyes and a smile to her lips. Rodney does as well, but not in quite the same way. She could do with loosening up and I sense she wants to but her position makes her reluctant maybe to let down her hair too much in case those below her don't take her seriously enough. Torri has spoken about how she is not playing Weir as someone 100% sure of her command role. Weir is humble and honest enough to realise that she isn't perfect, she takes her job very seriously and wants to do right by everyone. Therefore until she has been settled in Atlantis for a while and become more sure of herself and how everyone views her she won't relax her seriousness that much. Shepp's behaviour in HZ, probably didn't help this process but the way she handled it shows she will get there in the end. Spoiler for Hot Zone :-

Spoiler:
                            I found the end of their conversation, before McKay & Beckett rudely interrupted them, (I could have smacked them both at that point - not their fault of course but I was so enjoying the direction the conversation was heading in) very poignant! Her " you have to trust me", was a real reaching out for support, his " I do", was not affirmative enough - he does trust her, he just showed his lack of maturity by not realising how much she needed to hear it said convincingly, her " Do you?" was her attempting to explain her need to him and then of course it ended before anything could be satisfactorily resolved. Darn good writing, acting, character development and of course ending it where it was - dramatic tension! Makes me want to go back for a second round, hopefully that's what TPTB intended.

In the ep ( can't remember which one) where she temporarily joined Shepp, Ford & Teyla whilst they were watching the football, I felt that was Weir trying to loosen up but feeling unsure of her role. Shepp didn't really get the point that time either. He asked her if she liked football, surprised that she might and she admitted she didn't BUT that wasn't really the issue. The thing was Weir wanted to hang out with them on a social basis for a change. Didn't matter whether she liked it, she wanted the company.

Esther
                            She must want company, she's human. I have wondered about Weir and friendship before, and if she's got any girly pals amongst the scientists or is she very much alone. Sheppard appears to be able to mix business and pleasure quite easily, but I wonder if Weir can?

I thought she was
                            Spoiler:
                            more than angry in Hot Zone but hurt as well. And after seeing Hot Zone, I do agree with Mel's comment that the present business in Before I Sleep was him attempting to atone. I liked how Torri played that scene, by the way, she looked pleased but suspicious and so she should be!

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                              She must want company, she's human. I have wondered about Weir and friendship before, and if she's got any girly pals amongst the scientists or is she very much alone. Sheppard appears to be able to mix business and pleasure quite easily, but I wonder if Weir can?
                              Ooooh. Plot bunny. *starts taking notes*

In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
                              it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
                              It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
                              And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Comment

Sheppard appears to be able to mix business and pleasure quite easily, but I wonder if Weir can?
                                He does but maybe it's because it only goes so far and he keeps a lot of himself back. Weir would maybe be more likely to open up and therefore is more guarded from the outset. I am not sure she can compartmentalise herself in the way Shepp does.

Not seen 'Before I Sleep' yet, so I am looking forward to that scene to see how it plays out.
                                Spoiler:
                                maybe what he can't say with words, he can with a gift. Sounds like a Sheppard way of saying sorry.

Esther

Comment

Working...
                                X