No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I could find spots and moments where JF is overacting (don't kill me SR), and those are usually the moments where he is trying to create chemistry where it doesn't exist.

Okay, Sateda is one of those eps I haven't watched. I wasn't very interested and I'm still not convinced I should. To me it seems there is awfully little Elizabeth moments in this one.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Great recap as usual Eri. That ep is one of those ones that as a dude I know I should like it - it's got fights & guns & action - but it bored the crap out of me. And the scene in the conference room with Caldwell makes me cringe. Overacting is not generally something I would accuse JF of (he has a very understated, subtle acting style) but its just a bit too OTT IMO.

I think I'll wait for the questions coz otherwise this will sound really scathing when in fact I don't hate the ep; rather its more of a mehpisode.

Btw Eri, SR - chicks into sports = HAWT. But i'm sure you know that. Of course I had no idea who the teams were. Our national sports are rugby & cricket. Its a national state of mourning if we lose to Australia
      *heeeeeeeeeee* I got called HAWT! I work at a sports network, and sports is all I do. I LUV it.

I like American college football the most, but I enjoy most other sports as well. I do wish Americans would get into true football (soccer in the states) because I'd love to be able to compete on the world stage with most of the nation behind our teams.

But generally, if I'm not watching movies or a television show I like, I'm watching sports. If I need ambient TV noise in the background, it's sports. Nothing is more fun to me than watching football all day long on Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays). *sigh* Sports ARE AWESOME.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

In Croatia soccer is the second most important thing. I still don't know what the first most important thing is, though, but believe me, soccer is very important. When the national team plays there are no people on the streets.

We like other sports too, we're good in handball (men), tennis, we have an awesome high jumper and few years ago an amazing woman skier. Croatians watch sports almost religiously.

Now, in order not to be OT, I wonder what Elizabeth's favorite sport is. Funny, I can imagine her as high jumper, just like Blanka Vlasic (I wonder if anybody here knows about that girl).
        Last edited by Anuna; 09 September 2008, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          Funny, I can imagine her as high jumper, just like Branka Vlasic (I wonder if anybody here knows about that girl).
          I think I do... but I root for Tia Hellebaut.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I think I do... but I root for Tia Hellebaut.
            Of course you do

This is Blanka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQqi_hgX2Y Watch how she concentrates before the jump ( 0:32 ). For some reason I can imagine Elizabeth doing the same... especially that thing with outstretched arm.

Comment

Of course you do

This is Blanka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQqi_hgX2Y Watch how she concentrates before the jump ( 0:32 ). For some reason I can imagine Elizabeth doing the same... especially that thing with outstretched arm.
              Oh dear, that's the one who lost from Tia at the Olympics! Am I right? That's where I remember her from. My doppelganger rocks btw...

Hey, can you imagine the Atlantis Olympics?

Comment

Oh dear, that's the one who lost from Tia at the Olympics! Am I right? That's where I remember her from. My doppelganger rocks btw...

Hey, can you imagine the Atlantis Olympics?
                Yep, Blanka was second. I held my breath while she was jumping. Poor thing, I think she was way too nervous. Months before the olympics there was constant talk about how sh'e bound to win... talk about pressure.

Oooooooo, Atlantis Olympics! Now there's an idea! Sounds like awesome fun, which sports should we include?

Comment

Actually I could find spots and moments where JF is overacting (don't kill me SR), and those are usually the moments where he is trying to create chemistry where it doesn't exist.

Okay, Sateda is one of those eps I haven't watched. I wasn't very interested and I'm still not convinced I should. To me it seems there is awfully little Elizabeth moments in this one.
                  Hmmm...I don't know. I really appreciate Jason in this one, he really shines. And I'm a production nerd so I love all the filtering effects and directing.

If I had to break it apart, then scene-wise I'd say to check out:

1) The scene with John and Elizabeth confronting Caldwell: that's core Sparky right there. You would appreciate the body language and chemistry between Torri and Joe. She comes right up behind him when she says "We don't leave our people out there, Colonel..." and when Caldwell snaps back at her you get this defiant sort of look on both their faces. It's great.

2) John helping Ronon off the floor: I just love the way it's directed, for some reason. It's very symbolic--one of those moments that lets you know Ronon's a full-fledged team member and there to stay.

3) I like Ronon hugging Carson, too, it's funny.

4) Rodney's infirmary scene because you WILL laugh at Elizabeth's face.

I don't know what the general sparky impression is of the John and Teyla Daedalus scene, but for me, it's one of those I actually watch Sateda for. For me, it's not a Sheyla moment. I know where those are and they generally feel forced to me, but in this case it's not done like that.

If you're attracted to someone, you're never comfortable talking about how much you care about them to their face. That's why this scene never struck me as romantic; because John shares his feelings openly. He's uncomfortable because he's embarrassed to talk about feelings at all, not because he's talking to Teyla in particular. She interprets his embarrassment and treats him with a sort of 'pat-pat, you're such a boy' look on her face. This isn't two people smoldering in sexual chemistry, it's one friend trying to get another friend to open up. His attitude is no more different than it'd be with Rodney, or Carson, though of course two men talking about this subject would never happen.

Comment

Oooooooo, Atlantis Olympics! Now there's an idea! Sounds like awesome fun, which sports should we include?
                    Swimming, athletics, gymnastics, rowing, ballsports, ...

Comment

In Croatia soccer is the second most important thing. I still don't know what the first most important thing is, though, but believe me, soccer is very important. When the national team plays there are no people on the streets.

We like other sports too, we're good in handball (men), tennis, we have an awesome high jumper and few years ago an amazing woman skier. Croatians watch sports almost religiously.

Now, in order not to be OT, I wonder what Elizabeth's favorite sport is. Funny, I can imagine her as high jumper, just like Blanka Vlasic (I wonder if anybody here knows about that girl).
                      I'm still mad they had Elizabeth, who is fit as a fiddle, have absolutely NO interest in Football or Hockey. *wrong, wrong, wrong*

I assume she played sports though, because she has an injured knee (Rodney mentions it in "The Storm") and generally knee injuries are from former sports injuries. I could see her playing maybe soccer in school, volleyball, or perhaps being a runner, though I expect if she had been she'd have been running with John around Atlantis.

Torri did yoga a ton, so maybe Elizabeth commissioned yoga classes on Atlantis?

Olympics would be a hilarious story--I could see them organizing it for fun to help the military chill out.

Comment

Swimming, athletics, gymnastics, rowing, ballsports, ...
                        There'd have to be sparring/wrestling of some kind.

Comment

OT - gaterid I just noticed your "location." Love it!

I'm a complete and utter LOTR geek. I watch all the behind the scenes stuff on the DVDs a lot of times to see all the amazing countryside and scenery of NZ. Absolutely beautiful country.....gorgeous! I wanna visit!
                          sigpic
                          Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                            OT - gaterid I just noticed your "location." Love it!

I'm a complete and utter LOTR geek. I watch all the behind the scenes stuff on the DVDs a lot of times to see all the amazing countryside and scenery of NZ. Absolutely beautiful country.....gorgeous! I wanna visit!
                            Ah! Me too! I watched all 4 commentaries on all 3 extended edition movies. Lighting and sound guys commentaries, too. And it was ALL INTERESTING! They're my favorite movies of all time. I so want to visit New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                              Ah! Me too! I watched all 4 commentaries on all 3 extended edition movies. Lighting and sound guys commentaries, too. And it was ALL INTERESTING! They're my favorite movies of all time. I so want to visit New Zealand.
                              *CLAPS ENTHUSIASTICALLY* YAY - another LOTR geek! Woot!

I could watch those DVDs (movies and all the extras) over and over again. Wait a minute, I have.... hehehehe

Did I mention I just got the soundtracks on CD for my birthday? Yep, I'm a geek.

Okay, back to our regular Sparky programming.....LOL
                              Spoiler:

sigpic
                              Signature by Erin87

Comment

There will be no killing. I happen to agree with you. You can tell when he is being forced to Act. But his overacting is some others' subtlety.

*heeeeeeeeeee* I got called HAWT! I work at a sports network, and sports is all I do. I LUV it.

I like American college football the most, but I enjoy most other sports as well. I do wish Americans would get into true football (soccer in the states) because I'd love to be able to compete on the world stage with most of the nation behind our teams.

But generally, if I'm not watching movies or a television show I like, I'm watching sports. If I need ambient TV noise in the background, it's sports. Nothing is more fun to me than watching football all day long on Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays). *sigh* Sports ARE AWESOME.
                                Starting with college Game Day at 10 AM. *admits to a tiny crush on Lee Corso* lol

Hmmm...I don't know. I really appreciate Jason in this one, he really shines. And I'm a production nerd so I love all the filtering effects and directing.

If I had to break it apart, then scene-wise I'd say to check out:

1) The scene with John and Elizabeth confronting Caldwell: that's core Sparky right there. You would appreciate the body language and chemistry between Torri and Joe. She comes right up behind him when she says "We don't leave our people out there, Colonel..." and when Caldwell snaps back at her you get this defiant sort of look on both their faces. It's great.

2) John helping Ronon off the floor: I just love the way it's directed, for some reason. It's very symbolic--one of those moments that lets you know Ronon's a full-fledged team member and there to stay.

3) I like Ronon hugging Carson, too, it's funny.

4) Rodney's infirmary scene because you WILL laugh at Elizabeth's face.

I don't know what the general sparky impression is of the John and Teyla Daedalus scene, but for me, it's one of those I actually watch Sateda for. For me, it's not a Sheyla moment. I know where those are and they generally feel forced to me, but in this case it's not done like that.

If you're attracted to someone, you're never comfortable talking about how much you care about them to their face. That's why this scene never struck me as romantic; because John shares his feelings openly. He's uncomfortable because he's embarrassed to talk about feelings at all, not because he's talking to Teyla in particular. She interprets his embarrassment and treats him with a sort of 'pat-pat, you're such a boy' look on her face. This isn't two people smoldering in sexual chemistry, it's one friend trying to get another friend to open up. His attitude is no more different than it'd be with Rodney, or Carson, though of course two men talking about this subject would never happen.
                                ITA on the John/Teyla scene. I thought she was a bit manipulative with him and said at the time that Elizabeth would have let him finish his sentence and not attempt to put words in his mouth. But maybe it was Teyla's alien side just not understanding him. Which I don't think she ever has. And that scene with Elizabeth would not have been necessary. In fact I can see her telling him that she knows he considers all of them like family without him having to say it. Did I just contradict myself? *doesn't care* lalala
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X