Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Athenaktt
    Hmm...strip Monopoly...How does that work? You land on someones property and loose an article of clothing?
    Yes or the opposite.
    Say there's someone others don't want to see strip... sort of used as bribery of all sorts. Like it you thought normal monopoly could be bad enough with it's wheeling and dealing then strip monopoly would be far worse. Of coure if you land on tax you could have to take something off and maybe free parking lets you put back on?
    It could be done, I spent quite a while discussing it once.

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
      What can I add to the already excellent posts here. I couldn't agree more. Romance does not have the monopoly on beautiful, life changing and profound relationships. This is what annoys me a little about slash (I'm not bashing slashers truly), but there are instances were two guys can have a profound love for each other, that sex only spoils (in my opinion only).
      Word to that. I read an interesting article on the BBC site about fanfiction and it's origins. It talked about slash etc. It implied that the origin was partly because the shows in the past never had well written & developed female characters that you could pair the male characters off with so since there were close m/m friendships on the shows for fanfiction purposes when wanting to have a romantic angle you went in that direction. I love buddy movies and shows with close m/m friendships (to me LOTR is like one massive buddy movie trilogy). I think partly this comes from my frustration that in the past certainly there weren't decently written female characters, they were always just the 'love interest' and so the real deep relationships were usually the friendships of the male characters. Now of course there are better written female characters so I get annoyed when relationships between m/f characters have to be romanticised instead of being about close friendship. Equally as astrochick said I don't see why the close m/m or f/f friendships have to be viewed in a sexual context. As for the Simon/River incest thing..eeww. I blame Freud!

I 'ship' S/W and can see a romantic dimension and if it was done well would be happy if the show went in that direction but I would rather have a well written close friendship than badly written romance. I also 'ship' McShep and McWeir but not in a romantic context. On SG-1 I didn't mind S/J but I found the J/D and S/D friendships more moving. I love the J/D 'space monkey' scene.
      Stories about comrades in arms and friendships formed whilst enduring hardship and trial are 'sibling' in nature as people develop a close family-like bond of loyalty and caring. I still get choked up when watching 'Gettysburg' ( despite having seen it many times) when Joshua Chamberlain and his younger brother Tom are discussing the death of their much beloved Irishman Buster Kilrain or at the very end when Joshua and Tom hug after finding each other still alive at the end of the battle. Powerful friendships or close family relationships portrayed in movies and shows usually last longer in my memory than romantic ones. I still don't think a lot of writers know how to portray romance without it coming across as trivial.
      ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
      FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
        Actually...

SG-1 has a Pentagon assigned liaison who reviews all the scripts for the accurate representation of the military, as well as verifying technical details. For example, in the episode 'Prodigy', the original script had Lt. Hailey going AWOL. The liaison said that she would have been immediately expelled, so it was rewritten to have her punching out an upper classman or something.

This article says that SG-1 is "the only TV series currently endorsed and supported by the Air Force" (don't bother reading the article, its a know-nothing's review). Hence activy duty officers as Air Force liaisons (check this Gateworld piece), and two Generals of the Air Force making appearances (General Ryan in 'Prodigy', and General Jumper in 'Lost City').

It's also the primary reason why there's been no resolution to the whole Jack and Sam thing. It would be a slap in the face to the Air Force after all that they have done for the show.

So that's why I say they could come down against a relationship between Sheppard and Weir. While it may not be against regulations, it could be ethically dubious, and the Air Force may not appreciate having its officers characterized that way.

On that note, it does rule out the Sheppard/Teyla ship as well. Unfortunately, that leaves us with Wier/McKay, and as others here have said, that one just don't give off the right vibes. So here's hoping the Air Force doesn't have a problem, or TPTB run it subtly enough that they overlook it until its too late.
        My mistake on the endorsement thing. Guess I need to read more carefully.

As for them objecting to one of their officers behaving that way... Sheppard isn't exactly a model officer to begin with. That's part of the story they're telling. Anyway, I find it telling that of the "big three" ships, Sheppard/Weir is the only one that hasn't been flatly denied in interviews with the actors. Besides, they've been setting up this thing in SG-1 where they establish that it's perfectly all right for a civilian commander/military subordinate relationship to exist, and as it doesn't look like they're going to do anything interesting with it over there, they might as well put it to good use here, right?
        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
        Last update: 14 April 2006
        Melyanna's Multimedia
        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
          As for them objecting to one of their officers behaving that way... Sheppard isn't exactly a model officer to begin with. That's part of the story they're telling. Anyway, I find it telling that of the "big three" ships, Sheppard/Weir is the only one that hasn't been flatly denied in interviews with the actors. Besides, they've been setting up this thing in SG-1 where they establish that it's perfectly all right for a civilian commander/military subordinate relationship to exist, and as it doesn't look like they're going to do anything interesting with it over there, they might as well put it to good use here, right?
          Most definitely!

They have been building up the fact that civilian commander/military subordinate would be allowed to have a relationship in SG-1, and I agree as it seems
          Spoiler:
          RDA and AT will be in different eps next season, it's not going to happen so that we get to see it,
          they might as well do it on Atlantis
          Uncontrolled Destiny
          My Atlantis Music Videos (Shep/Weir and Misc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
            Yes or the opposite.
            Say there's someone others don't want to see strip... sort of used as bribery of all sorts. Like it you thought normal monopoly could be bad enough with it's wheeling and dealing then strip monopoly would be far worse. Of coure if you land on tax you could have to take something off and maybe free parking lets you put back on?
            lol, those are definately other ideas for strip monopoly. So who wants that plot bunny?
            ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
              lol, those are definately other ideas for strip monopoly. So who wants that plot bunny?
              Having already passed on strip chess, I think I'll let this one go by too.
              Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Having already passed on strip chess, I think I'll let this one go by too.
                You can't see me but I'm raising my eyebrow at you.
                "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                  Yes or the opposite.
                  and if you land in jail you are at the richest persons mercy!

Comment

Originally posted by ra-hanna
                    You can't see me but I'm raising my eyebrow at you.
                    It was motivation for John to get better at the game.

ANYWAY... MORE Siege III pics!

New Atlantis high-res versions
                    Stargate-Project low-res versions
                    Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Poor Aiden!!

I can't wait! I am going to die!!! But I want a pic of solely weir/shepp!! Boo! but damn! Great pics! The sets look a lot bigger
                      Citizen of Braneville

Comment

Originally posted by smallgirl
                        Word to that. I read an interesting article on the BBC site about fanfiction and it's origins. It talked about slash etc. It implied that the origin was partly because the shows in the past never had well written & developed female characters that you could pair the male characters off with so since there were close m/m friendships on the shows for fanfiction purposes when wanting to have a romantic angle you went in that direction. I love buddy movies and shows with close m/m friendships (to me LOTR is like one massive buddy movie trilogy). I think partly this comes from my frustration that in the past certainly there weren't decently written female characters, they were always just the 'love interest' and so the real deep relationships were usually the friendships of the male characters. Now of course there are better written female characters so I get annoyed when relationships between m/f characters have to be romanticised instead of being about close friendship. Equally as astrochick said I don't see why the close m/m or f/f friendships have to be viewed in a sexual context. As for the Simon/River incest thing..eeww. I blame Freud!
                        Interesting. Got a link to that article, perhaps?

Being a big brother mysellf, I really liked the relationship Simon and River had. I loved what it said about how important family is, and what lengths to go for it.

My mistake on the endorsement thing. Guess I need to read more carefully.

I am a treasure trove of useless information. Good point about setting the possibilty up on SG-1 last season.

grrr...I was fine, I felt I could would patiently for the new season. Now these pictures start dropping, and I can't wait!!!!!1!1!11!one! (where's an angry smiley when you need one?)

Nice glasses Ford's got there.

a time to mourn

Comment

Being a big brother mysellf, I really liked the relationship Simon and River had. I loved what it said about how important family is, and what lengths to go for it.
                          Being a little sister, I loved that too. Whedon just has such a sense of the importance of family, whether real or created. I also love how Mal comes to really respect Simon because of River, and how he starts seeing River as a wonderful young woman because of how devoted Simon is to her.

I am a treasure trove of useless information. Good point about setting the possibilty up on SG-1 last season.
                          Hah, I'm usually that fountain of useless knowledge myself.

grrr...I was fine, I felt I could would patiently for the new season. Now these pictures start dropping, and I can't wait!!!!!1!1!11!one! (where's an angry smiley when you need one?)

Nice glasses Ford's got there.
                          Welcome to the club, my friend. And as for an angry smiley, what about angry Jor?
                          Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Interesting.(where's an angry smiley when you need one?)
                            Here I took her out to play. Poor alone mad smilie. *runs out of thread as he knows nothing about firefly whiech is apperently what this thread is now about*

Comment

Welcome to the club, my friend. And as for an angry smiley, what about angry Jor?

Originally posted by gatelover12
                              Here I took her out to play. Poor alone mad smilie. *runs out of thread as he knows nothing about firefly whiech is apperently what this thread is now about*
                              Ah, I see. There's two more smilies hidden under that more link.

a time to mourn

Comment

Interesting. Got a link to that article, perhaps?
                                Here is the link to the...bbc article
                                ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
                                FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

Working...
                                X