Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I have similar moments with my automatic processes, one such had a virtual machine log off midway a session for no apparent reason. Took me 3 weeks to figure out what the hell was wrong with it.

Turned out, nothing was wrong with it. The process just took too long doing things in the background with nothing happening in the foreground that the VM thought it was standing idly by and thus logged off all on its own. Much to my frustration of course...
    D'oh!!! That's very frustrating.

Have you ever caused an infinite loop? That's a fun time!

Anywho, I have a job interview next week... for an RPA consultancy position.
    Still very much employed by my current company and no intention of leaving -- should have lead with that when I told my best friend, though I got a good laught out of her reaction.
    Okay, do you mind me asking why you're doing the interview then? Just curious, because I find interviews to be a horrible experience. I'd rather have a root canal.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
    Still haven't seen the new one. Haven't seen the old one in years, either.
    Oh, I haven't seen the original in years myself. It's pretty twisted when you really think about it.

I mainly wanted to see the new one because one of the actors in Timeless was in it. He played the lead villain, and he was so deliciously over the top and campy, while singing and dancing his heart out, that I enjoyed the whole movie just for that.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      Okay, do you mind me asking why you're doing the interview then? Just curious, because I find interviews to be a horrible experience. I'd rather have a root canal.
      You and me both.

Oh, I haven't seen the original in years myself. It's pretty twisted when you really think about it.

I mainly wanted to see the new one because one of the actors in Timeless was in it. He played the lead villain, and he was so deliciously over the top and campy, while singing and dancing his heart out, that I enjoyed the whole movie just for that.
      Hah! I saw the gifsets on Tumblr, that does look like a lot of fun!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hello, fellow Sparkies. It's been about 20 years since SGA first aired and about 15 or so since I was involved in the fandom after how everything went down. I took a break from Facebook for this month of January and with all that time opened up (LOL) I found myself drawn to the past. Tapped into my old fanfics and somehow got stuck on the SGA ones. Been back on a kick ever since. Bought the DVDs and digitals again. Been working my way through the episodes and all my fics as well as others. I'm sad to see how some of my favorite places have gone away but glad to see this one still around. So here I am to say hello and apparently Sparky had such an impact that all these years later and even after how things went, my opinions haven't changed. I thought I might be ambivalent or accepting, but nope. I love those two as much as ever. Even managed to finish writing a few fics that I started almost two decades ago. They're not great but they're comforting and fun.

Comment

Have you ever caused an infinite loop? That's a fun time!
          I am the foremost expert when it comes to infinite loops, which I guess is a dubious title to hold in that area.

Okay, do you mind me asking why you're doing the interview then?
          My current employers' idea.

They turned in my candidacy without telling me so much to my surprise I received a phonecall 2 weeks ago that I had been shortlisted and if interested I would be invited for an interview.

It's basically a support job cause they have their own "citizen developers" so it would be for 2 days a week, while the other 3 would just be for my current employer. I'll still be fully employed at Robonext so the other company has to pay a consultancy fee to them.

Originally posted by admirallily View Post
          Hello, fellow Sparkies. It's been about 20 years since SGA first aired and about 15 or so since I was involved in the fandom after how everything went down.
          Welcome (back)!

Also, thanks for making us feel old again.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Welcome (back)!

Why thank you! And I feel old every day I roll out of bed. LOL. But taking this trip back in time has been rejuvenating.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              You and me both.
              Right?? I remember the interview that got me my IT job. It was with 3 managers at once. Two women and 1 man. The woman who eventually hired me... I'm sure she hired me because of the man's stupid questions and my probable facial reactions to them. I was a math major, computer science minor. I had a 4.0 in my computer science classes. Which means I had a straight A grade. So the guy asks "so you have a 4.0 in computer science, what grade did you get in Fortran?" I answered with "A" but I know myself and my propensity for expressing my feelings with my facial expressions. I'm sure I gave a WTF expression. My eventual boss thought that man was a moron (he was) so I'm sure it amused her.

Another interview I had, they asked me if I were an animal, what animal would I be.

Originally posted by admirallily
              Hello, fellow Sparkies. It's been about 20 years since SGA first aired and about 15 or so since I was involved in the fandom after how everything went down. I took a break from Facebook for this month of January and with all that time opened up (LOL) I found myself drawn to the past. Tapped into my old fanfics and somehow got stuck on the SGA ones. Been back on a kick ever since. Bought the DVDs and digitals again. Been working my way through the episodes and all my fics as well as others. I'm sad to see how some of my favorite places have gone away but glad to see this one still around. So here I am to say hello and apparently Sparky had such an impact that all these years later and even after how things went, my opinions haven't changed. I thought I might be ambivalent or accepting, but nope. I love those two as much as ever. Even managed to finish writing a few fics that I started almost two decades ago. They're not great but they're comforting and fun.
              Welcome back!! Sparky never dies! But yes, it's sad that some of the old haunts have gone away. There's a great Discord group out there, if you're interested. It's more active during October, though. (Sparktober)

Originally posted by Falcon Horus

They turned in my candidacy without telling me so much to my surprise I received a phonecall 2 weeks ago that I had been shortlisted and if interested I would be invited for an interview.

It's basically a support job cause they have their own "citizen developers" so it would be for 2 days a week, while the other 3 would just be for my current employer. I'll still be fully employed at Robonext so the other company has to pay a consultancy fee to them.​
              Ah, that makes sense then. Is that something you'd like to do?

Comment

Another interview I had, they asked me if I were an animal, what animal would I be.
                Lothcat?
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post

Lothcat?

I said just regular cat.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by admirallily View Post
                    Welcome back! Sparkies never say die!

I'm right there on the "finishing fics that were started two decades ago" train...though it's for another fandom.

It's basically a support job cause they have their own "citizen developers" so it would be for 2 days a week, while the other 3 would just be for my current employer. I'll still be fully employed at Robonext so the other company has to pay a consultancy fee to them.

Hah! It's so your employer can make more money! Clever clever!

Though to be fair, I consider fandom to be the real fountain of youth.

Right?? I remember the interview that got me my IT job. It was with 3 managers at once. Two women and 1 man. The woman who eventually hired me... I'm sure she hired me because of the man's stupid questions and my probable facial reactions to them. I was a math major, computer science minor. I had a 4.0 in my computer science classes. Which means I had a straight A grade. So the guy asks "so you have a 4.0 in computer science, what grade did you get in Fortran?" I answered with "A" but I know myself and my propensity for expressing my feelings with my facial expressions. I'm sure I gave a WTF expression. My eventual boss thought that man was a moron (he was) so I'm sure it amused her.

I said just regular cat.
                    Yep, cat for me, too.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yep, cat for me, too.
                      Oh, what a shock!

Seriously, though, to be a cat! That's like the ideal life right there.

Comment

Hah! It's so your employer can make more money! Clever clever!
                        Pretty much, and to get a foot in the door in the public sector (or so one of my managers told me).

I got the question once what I wanted to be growing up, and when I replied I wanted to be an explorer it got a fair chuckle out of the interviewer. However, she did mention that she'd never heard my reply from anyone else she'd interviewed so I took that as a sign I must stand out at least.

Mind you, that "explorer"-dream was rapidly crushed when younger-me found out that most of the Earth had already been discovered. Though I did dress up like an explorer of old once for a dress-up party, the kind that you sometimes see in films which take place in like the 1920ties.

Ah, that makes sense then. Is that something you'd like to do?
                        I do, but I'll let you know after the interview on wednesday whether I'm still thinking the same way.

I've been going over the Citizen Developer course on UiPath (automation software) and I seriously had to dumb myself down for how the software works for people who don't know, or have a very basic knowledge in coding.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Oh, what a shock!

Seriously, though, to be a cat! That's like the ideal life right there.
                          But of course!

But yeah, to be a cat! Pampered and adored, my every desire and wish fulfilled...and all the fish I can eat! That IS the life!

Pretty much, and to get a foot in the door in the public sector (or so one of my managers told me).
                          That'll do it. Public sector work is the gold mine.

Comment

I got the question once what I wanted to be growing up, and when I replied I wanted to be an explorer it got a fair chuckle out of the interviewer. However, she did mention that she'd never heard my reply from anyone else she'd interviewed so I took that as a sign I must stand out at least.

Mind you, that "explorer"-dream was rapidly crushed when younger-me found out that most of the Earth had already been discovered. Though I did dress up like an explorer of old once for a dress-up party, the kind that you sometimes see in films which take place in like the 1920ties.

That's a great answer! Explorer - that's so cute!! I wanted to either be a secretary (I loved the giant machines at my mom's secretary job like the late 70s full room copy machine, etc.) or bag groceries at the supermarket. Oh, or be a postal worker. Not one of the ones who walks to houses. One of the sorters in the mailroom. *shrugs* Those wouldn't have been good answers to an interviewer, though. So I probably would have made something up.

I do, but I'll let you know after the interview on wednesday whether I'm still thinking the same way.

I've been going over the Citizen Developer course on UiPath (automation software) and I seriously had to dumb myself down for how the software works for people who don't know, or have a very basic knowledge in coding.
                            I have always had a hard time explaining what I did to people. It became easier as websites became more prevalent.

Good luck with your interview!! Let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
                            But of course!

But yeah, to be a cat! Pampered and adored, my every desire and wish fulfilled...and all the fish I can eat! That IS the life!
                            Absolutely!!!!

And you can be as social or anti-social as you feel like.

Comment

Did I agree to my CV being send to a firm in The Netherlands today, for a job on location in 's Hertogenbosch which is located 153km from where I live, a mere 2 hour drive single track? Maybe.

Will I reconsider this stupid decision in the not so distant future? Probably.

Comment

Turns out that when they said I was short-listed for that job interview today, what they actually meant was that I was the list.

So, I arrived with about 30 minutes to spare cause both trains were running on time, announced myself at the desk in the lobby, called my contact and patiently waited.

Out of the elevator steps a rather short guy wearing a T-shirt with a Tardis on. He's my contact and waves me over, and here's what happens next:

Me: "Cool shirt."

Him -- surprised I recognize the design on the shirt

* into the elevator to the 13th floor -- I loosen my winter coat cause warm and my Doctor Who shawl comes into view *

Me: "Fits the design on my shawl."

Him: "Oh... You a Whovian too?"

Me: "Yup, pretty actively too."

Him: "I'm only getting into it, really. I'm actually a Trekkie."

Me: "Cool. Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who... they're all game."

* the interview starts off -- I look at the case they prepared -- give feedback *

Him: "Any more questions from you? I have 2 but they're not about this, if I may."

Me: "Yeah, just when you'll be deciding and if there are many other candidates you still have to see?"

Him: "Oh, we've actually already made our decision. It was always going to be you. You were at the top of our list from the start."

Me -- surprised to hear that but enthusiastic about the prospect

Me: "You said you had some questions -- unrelated."

Him: "Do you happen to go to FACTS?"

Me: "Since 2005."

Him: "I've been going since the 2nd edition."

* FACTS is like almost 25 editions far *

And oh yeah, there was a 2nd person in the interview as well who got roped into our geekfest rather quickly. He's a Marvel fan so who knows maybe we can drag him with us to FACTS this year.

So yeah... I got the position in Brussels and will start on Monday the 19th. It's 2 days and for now runs until November.

So 2 days for them, the other 3 for my other clients. Though I'll have to adjust to more office work cause the job is in-office. I'll be less at home so both for me and the cats that will be an adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                                X