No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn is the best season. I'm so tired of rain here.
    sigpic
    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Bet it wasn't as good as The Long Goodbye, though.
      No, no it wasn't.

That's...totally pathetic. But sounds par for the course for M&M.
      You know, the show does actually remind me of SGA in a lot of ways when it comes to both strengths and weaknesses (although I think SGA is better). And that's a little weird to me because weren't they also the showrunners for SGU? In a lot of ways that show had the exact opposite strengths and weaknesses as SGA.

Most of the main characters are interesting, but they have a semi-revolving door of cast because they can't (or do not want to) seem to nail down a fully consistent group. They've unceremoniously killed off one of the leads, added more characters that (in my own personal opinion anyway) that didn't really fit in that well. Then they got rid of them as well. They've even had one of the cast turn on the others.

And the biggest issue for me is that even though it's a mostly episodic show, they have long term arcs and sub-plots, but they always seem to be meandering around without a lot of clear direction or otherwise don't get the level of focus that they should receive.

The other thing is that even though this season is supposedly about a galaxy wide war, we get very little sense of that. Plus, all the relevant factions are not as interesting or clearly developed as say the Goa'uld or the Wraith. It wasn't until this season that I was even able to keep track of the corporations' names well enough to tell the apart.

Before it was just:

"That one that Torri's character works for" or "that one that this other guy works for" or "the other ones."

That's basically all I was able to tell which side was "the big bad" and which side had the uneasy alliance with the main characters.
      Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 07 August 2017, 02:39 PM.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I literally saw the outline of Ireland yesterday (the Wicklow Mountains if I should wager a guess), the Isle of Man, the isle of Anglesey and mainland Wales (UK) from the top of the isle of Holyhead.

I had to walk, climb, clammer, stagger, die a little, die a lot, trip and curse the pointy plants for a few miles to see the spectacular view and find the bloody hillfort the Romans put on top. (6 miles in total of all that)

So there was a loud WOOHOO when we finally made it to the top. The older gentleman with his grandson even congratulated us since they too had been doing the same (and also had no clue where the hillfort was supposed to be, other than on the other side of the ridge).

And the best bit -- when climbing down again, we came across a Peregrin Falcon (my favorite kind) hanging in the air just below us. We were literally higher than the bird.

Yeah, I'm awestruck by such small things.

The least you can say...
        My sister has had the pleasure a few times now to have seen that exact reaction from several travelers and it's always cause for some hilarity with the regulars.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
          Another mild day here and now I'm thinking about fall and Halloween.
          Halloween is my favorite time of year.

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
          For us, the return of rain means fall is here. So tired of the hot weather. And the smoke from the BC fires.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          No, no it wasn't.

You know, the show does actually remind me of SGA in a lot of ways when it comes to both strengths and weaknesses (although I think SGA is better). And that's a little weird to me because weren't they also the showrunners for SGU? In a lot of ways that show had the exact opposite strengths and weaknesses as SGA.

Most of the main characters are interesting, but they have a semi-revolving door of cast because they can't (or do not want to) seem to nail down a fully consistent group. They've unceremoniously killed off one of the leads, added more characters that (in my own personal opinion anyway) that didn't really fit in that well. Then they got rid of them as well. They've even had one of the cast turn on the others.

And the biggest issue for me is that even though it's a mostly episodic show, they have long term arcs and sub-plots, but they always seem to be meandering around without a lot of clear direction or otherwise don't get the level of focus that they should receive.

The other thing is that even though this season is supposedly about a galaxy wide war, we get very little sense of that. Plus, all the relevant factions are not as interesting or clearly developed as say the Goa'uld or the Wraith. It wasn't until this season that I was even able to keep track of the corporations' names well enough to tell the apart.

Before it was just:

"That one that Torri's character works for" or "that one that this other guy works for" or "the other ones."

That's basically all I was able to tell which side was "the big bad" and which side had the uneasy alliance with the main characters.
          Sheesh, now I'm really glad I'm not watching DM. I'd probably be tearing my hair out in frustration.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I literally saw the outline of Ireland yesterday (the Wicklow Mountains if I should wager a guess), the Isle of Man, the isle of Anglesey and mainland Wales (UK) from the top of the isle of Holyhead.

I had to walk, climb, clammer, stagger, die a little, die a lot, trip and curse the pointy plants for a few miles to see the spectacular view and find the bloody hillfort the Romans put on top. (6 miles in total of all that)

So there was a loud WOOHOO when we finally made it to the top. The older gentleman with his grandson even congratulated us since they too had been doing the same (and also had no clue where the hillfort was supposed to be, other than on the other side of the ridge).

And the best bit -- when climbing down again, we came across a Peregrin Falcon (my favorite kind) hanging in the air just below us. We were literally higher than the bird.

WOOHOO indeed! That sounds so awesome! Glad you're having a great time!

The least you can say...
          My sister has had the pleasure a few times now to have seen that exact reaction from several travelers and it's always cause for some hilarity with the regulars.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm almost caught up. I think the season three premiere may be my favorite with her in it.

Happy Monday. Another mild day here and now I'm thinking about fall and Halloween.
            Originally posted by Morgania View Post
            Fall is my favorite season, and everything indicates it's going to be early this year. They are predicting a cool August. So many nuts are falling off the trees in the back of my house it sounds like hail. Some leaves are already turning and the spiders are more active. I just hope we get the right combination of weather for the leaves to be bright colors.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Halloween is my favorite time of year.

For us, the return of rain means fall is here. So tired of the hot weather. And the smoke from the BC fires.

Sheesh, now I'm really glad I'm not watching DM. I'd probably be tearing my hair out in frustration.

WOOHOO indeed! That sounds so awesome! Glad you're having a great time!

Well I don't want to make it sound like the show is so bad that it doesn't have good qualities too, but yeah I can see people who were frustrated by SGA also being frustrated by Dark Matter.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Fall is my favorite season, and everything indicates it's going to be early this year. They are predicting a cool August. So many nuts are falling off the trees in the back of my house it sounds like hail. Some leaves are already turning and the spiders are more active. I just hope we get the right combination of weather for the leaves to be bright colors.
                It's looking like it'll still be warm and dry through August out here, but long-range models are suggesting we'll have a "neutral" (neither El Nino or La Nina) winter...which based on previous years means we'll likely have a good mix of sun and rainstorms. We'll see how Eclipse Day goes!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  Well I don't want to make it sound like the show is so bad that it doesn't have good qualities too, but yeah I can see people who were frustrated by SGA also being frustrated by Dark Matter.
                  I watched most of S1 but found myself increasingly confused and not feeling any interest in the characters, so I didn't continue.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I've been watching the Night Shift, kind of Grey's Anatomy-ish, but set in San Antonio and most of the docs are vets or reservists and military threads are a constant in their scripts. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a Shep/Weir AU fanfic because of two of the main characters. If you need a bingeable show, the first three seasons are on Netflix and the fourth season is airing now.

Sounds fantastic. I love it when you travel, totally living vicariously through those experiences.

Wildfire smoke is always unsettling. I think I've been lucky, I've been in the Pacific Northwest the past three October's and rarely saw rain. The first two trips were for work, the last was for me, I drove the Olympic Peninsula loop. I never thought I'd be a person who'd want to return to the same area year after year, but here I am with a ticket to Paris- which I know will be great- and I'm feeling a little melancholy about missing the Cascades, the Puget Sound and the lakes this year. Such a beautiful area.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    The spiders keep decorating my house for Halloween, they really are active. The thought of leaf season just makes me smile. Crossing my fingers for a colorful fall too.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

I've been watching the Night Shift, kind of Grey's Anatomy-ish, but set in San Antonio and most of the docs are vets or reservists and military threads are a constant in their scripts. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a Shep/Weir AU fanfic because of two of the main characters. If you need a bingeable show, the first three seasons are on Netflix and the fourth season is airing now.
                      May have to look into that one; thanks for the rec!

Wildfire smoke is always unsettling. I think I've been lucky, I've been in the Pacific Northwest the past three October's and rarely saw rain. The first two trips were for work, the last was for me, I drove the Olympic Peninsula loop. I never thought I'd be a person who'd want to return to the same area year after year, but here I am with a ticket to Paris- which I know will be great- and I'm feeling a little melancholy about missing the Cascades, the Puget Sound and the lakes this year. Such a beautiful area.
                      It really is. Looks like it's going to cool off and we'll get a chance of rain on Sunday. I hope it does, we could use it.

The spiders keep decorating my house for Halloween, they really are active. The thought of leaf season just makes me smile. Crossing my fingers for a colorful fall too.
                      Little eight-legged freaks are EVERYWHERE.

Comment

Home again. Missing Wales and especially the weather at this very moment since in Belgium it's raining.
                        Looks like we forgot to bring the sun home with us.

Anglesey (Wales) was fantastic. If you need a place to visit, I highly reccommend it.
                        All of Wales really. We only ever saw Mount Snowdon out of the clouds once, and the rest of the time his top was neatly covered in puffy clouds. When we asked a local where abouts we had to situate the mountain, they told us the following: "When in doubt, say it's in the cloud."
                        And it always is, except that one time.

Sounds fantastic. I love it when you travel, totally living vicariously through those experiences.
                        Happy to provide.
                        Once I get a different place set up for my images, I shall post a few (my sister should have one of me, standing on top of a reconstructed burial mound, pretending to fly as the wind was howling around my ears, literally keeping me standing upright).

I also recorded two little films, one inside another burial mound (also reconstructed) and one from inside the Great Orm mines -- bronze age copper mines which are still being excavated to this day. Don't know yet if the images are good but when they are, I'll edit them into a little video (with some appropriate music).

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Let's see if this posts today...kept getting a database error whenever I tried to post yesterday...
                          ETA: It works it works it works!

Home again. Missing Wales and especially the weather at this very moment since in Belgium it's raining.
                          Looks like we forgot to bring the sun home with us.

Anglesey (Wales) was fantastic. If you need a place to visit, I highly reccommend it.
                          All of Wales really. We only ever saw Mount Snowdon out of the clouds once, and the rest of the time his top was neatly covered in puffy clouds. When we asked a local where abouts we had to situate the mountain, they told us the following: "When in doubt, say it's in the cloud."
                          And it always is, except that one time.
                          LOL! Sounds like the views of both Mt. Rainier and the Olympics. Always cloudy.

Happy to provide.
                          Once I get a different place set up for my images, I shall post a few (my sister should have one of me, standing on top of a reconstructed burial mound, pretending to fly as the wind was howling around my ears, literally keeping me standing upright).

I also recorded two little films, one inside another burial mound (also reconstructed) and one from inside the Great Orm mines -- bronze age copper mines which are still being excavated to this day. Don't know yet if the images are good but when they are, I'll edit them into a little video (with some appropriate music).
                          Sounds great, I look forward to seeing them!

Comment

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Comment

Went to the zoo today --- along with the other 9,999 people (I think)

Gosh that's a lot of people to block your path and lots of kids screaming when they have to move on to the next animal that's not out and about cause it was too warm for them. The lions literally looked like they were melting away into the ground.

Hello, you are African -- oh wait, no... you were born here... nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                                X