Teyla Emmagan/Kanaan Ship/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrion Kitten View Post
    Why didn't I notice this thread before? I was starting to think I was the only one who actually kind of liked Teyla/Kanaan....

It would've been nice if the whole thing had been properly developed and better written, of course, but I liked that it was an Athosian and not one of the Tau'ri, establishing that Teyla does in fact maintain ties with her people and has a social life outside of the team. Kanaan seems like a sweet guy, and from what little we are shown, I find their relationship refreshingly mundane, affectionate in that quiet comfortable sort of way of people who have known each other a very long time.
    Welcome, and thanks for your post. It's great to see more people that like Teyla and Kanaan. I thought I was the only one for a long time. I agree with you Kanaan does seem like a sweet guy, I like how comfortable their relationship came off. I wish we'd seem more of it though. If we ever get a movie I hope we'll at least get a scene or two exploring it a bit.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Good question. I'm picturing a quiet walk in the dark while everyone else is asleep and a nice talk about how he misses her... Hee.
      Hee, I imagine something long lasting and quite old fashioned, including smiles, glances and giving flowers. A hand hold would be a big thing. God I miss a sweet romance on TV right now.
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
        Hee, I imagine something long lasting and quite old fashioned, including smiles, glances and giving flowers. A hand hold would be a big thing. God I miss a sweet romance on TV right now.
        Me too. The good romances all seem to be with middle aged people. I call Castle and Bones middle age. And the young ones are minds full of mush or vampires. But with Teyla/Kanaan we can imagine what their courtship rituals were. We never learned much about what plants were flowers, how they looked and smelled and what the traditions were. Like our red roses for love. I can see a fic where Rodney picks a yellow flower on some planet and just gives it to a girl. But it's something like a marriage proposal there or maybe something insulting and guns are drawn. Teyla, of course, has to settle the whole thing while John yells and screams. I love it.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

SR, here's one interesting thing; every time I try imagining romance and courtship involving Teyla, I remember this film:

Spoiler:

The romantic aspect of it si subdued and subtle, for several reasons and it works so damn well. And I think no matter which one of our fellows courting Teyla would ahve to be something like that - thoughtful, romantic, taking into account her culture and customs and her cultural identity. I think it would be very sweet.

Comment

I'm not generally a romantic person Yeah I know, strange thing coming from a shipper But we all know I'm not normal
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
              I'm not generally a romantic person Yeah I know, strange thing coming from a shipper But we all know I'm not normal
              *pokes* Normal is boring! Who needs normal?

I love me some romance if done right. I don't enjoy "Oh OMG I love you but we can't be togetherrrr" type of romances. I also don't like when characters hook up, only to face an endless number of obstacles a la "ER". Now that's a show that drove me up the wall. Which is why I enjoy Castle - type of romance, or perhaps a quiet, non dramatic relationship of people who know each other well, like Teyla and Kanaan.

Comment

I love me some romance if done right. I don't enjoy "Oh OMG I love you but we can't be togetherrrr" type of romances. I also don't like when characters hook up, only to face an endless number of obstacles a la "ER". Now that's a show that drove me up the wall. Which is why I enjoy Castle - type of romance, or perhaps a quiet, non dramatic relationship of people who know each other well, like Teyla and Kanaan.
                Normal is overrated

There's actually not many ships of mine that has come off They screwed up John/Teyla, Teyla/Kanaan didn't really get off the ground, the less said about Mulder/Scully the better, Sam/Jack (Yeah we still didn't really get much in the way of on screen confirmation), Mal/Inara, Harm/Mac. I'm sure there are more but can't quite remember at this moment.

The one's that did come off are Kira/Odo, John/Aeryn. Oh and Helena (Huntress)/Reese (Birds of Prey. That was coming along quite nicely till they go and cancel the show after only 13 eps ) I'm sure there are others I'm probably missing.

One's that I'm beginning to get bored with. Bones/Booth (It's now beginning to drag on way too long) I mean I like the will they/won't they scenario but you can only do it for so long till it gets rather tiresome.

One's that are showing promise but the show hasn't been going long enough to be for or against yet. Castle/Beckett. I like it so far and hope it keeps going and being developed.

Oh and I also like the relationship between the FBI agent Peter Burke and Elizabeth who is his wife in "White Collar". It's so nice for once to see a good honest healthy husband/wife relationship instead of one of them cheating and/or lying. It makes a nice change of pace

Didn't I say I was quitting shipping DOH!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Oh me too and shows like ER and Grey's where everybody eventually sleeps with everyone. Blech.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  Normal is overrated

There's actually not many ships of mine that has come off They screwed up John/Teyla, Teyla/Kanaan didn't really get off the ground, the less said about Mulder/Scully the better, Sam/Jack (Yeah we still didn't really get much in the way of on screen confirmation), Mal/Inara, Harm/Mac. I'm sure there are more but can't quite remember at this moment.

The one's that did come off are Kira/Odo, John/Aeryn. Oh and Helena (Huntress)/Reese (Birds of Prey. That was coming along quite nicely till they go and cancel the show after only 13 eps ) I'm sure there are others I'm probably missing.

One's that I'm beginning to get bored with. Bones/Booth (It's now beginning to drag on way too long) I mean I like the will they/won't they scenario but you can only do it for so long till it gets rather tiresome.

One's that are showing promise but the show hasn't been going long enough to be for or against yet. Castle/Beckett. I like it so far and hope it keeps going and being developed.

Oh and I also like the relationship between the FBI agent Peter Burke and Elizabeth who is his wife in "White Collar". It's so nice for once to see a good honest healthy husband/wife relationship instead of one of them cheating and/or lying. It makes a nice change of pace

Didn't I say I was quitting shipping DOH!!!
                  Face it. You are a ship addict. ITA on all these. Bones is starting to annoy me too. White Collar I love for the same reason. The way she is not jealous of him and the lovely married relationship they have. Those writers know what they are doing. Now back on topic. Teyla/Kanaan could have been like that with glimpses of life in another galaxy that isn't the typical stuff in movies and TV. Usually when you get a primitive culture like theirs they are the South Pacific type natives that dance the hula and entice the heroes. I see the Athosians as so much more than that and certainly not primitive in their thinking.
                  sigpic

Comment

Since I'm not big into shipping, i usually hate agnst ridden, drama filled type of relationships on any TV shows. I tend to like subtle ships, and ones that are in the backround and don't interfere with the story. Thats why I enjoyed Teyla/Kanaan; Kanaan never interfered with the story, he was just a part of her support system. I know some people will say that he wasn't on enough to interfere, lol. But I don't think he would have, even if he was on all the time. He's known Teyla since childhood, so he knows what makes her tick; and since he was so supportive of her in Broken Ties I don't think he would ever have made an issue out of her work. It was easy for me to imagine Teyla just going home to her family after a troubling mission, and being able to relax and enjoy the company of Kanaan and Torren in an uncomplicated way.
                    sigpic

Comment

Face it. You are a ship addict. ITA on all these. Bones is starting to annoy me too. White Collar I love for the same reason. The way she is not jealous of him and the lovely married relationship they have. Those writers know what they are doing. Now back on topic. Teyla/Kanaan could have been like that with glimpses of life in another galaxy that isn't the typical stuff in movies and TV. Usually when you get a primitive culture like theirs they are the South Pacific type natives that dance the hula and entice the heroes. I see the Athosians as so much more than that and certainly not primitive in their thinking.
                      Yeah there's no hope for me. I'm a lost cause
                      sigpic

Comment

SR, here's one interesting thing; every time I try imagining romance and courtship involving Teyla, I remember this film:

Spoiler:

The romantic aspect of it si subdued and subtle, for several reasons and it works so damn well. And I think no matter which one of our fellows courting Teyla would ahve to be something like that - thoughtful, romantic, taking into account her culture and customs and her cultural identity. I think it would be very sweet.
                        The scenes in The Last Samurai are a good way to picture romance when it comes to Teyla. I also see some similarities between the Samurai and the Athosians.
                        The music from that movie is beautiful btw. Hans Zimmer is a great composer, and hes done lots of great movie scores.
                        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

I missed this post earlier and I know you're on vacation but I have to add ITA with this. This is just how I see the Athosian culture. Subdued, traditional in their own way, reserved and elegant to the extent that each move and ritual is carefully planned and executed. You know when you live as they do in danger of eminent death by life sucking aliens, you tend to want order and structure in your life. You want some kind of control over daily events. And given what Teyla said to her friend in Sunday about not being able to make the first move, this makes perfect sense for them. Even though she knew Kanaan all her life, she had to wait until he was ready to be with her.

I can imagine he might have hesitated since she spent so much time away from them. Some of the other Athosians may even have said something to make him hold off until he found out for sure how Teyla felt about him. He may even have met the guys on her team and yes, wondered if there was something between her and John. I'm sure she talked about him a lot and may even have had a bit of a crush. I mean, how could she not, but when it came time to make a decision he was sure that he was the one in her heart. Ronon also may have put a question or two in his mind until he got close to him and realized he was like a brother. Since John didn't spend any time with them that we know of, he wouldn't have known him as well.
                          sigpic

Comment

I missed this post earlier and I know you're on vacation but I have to add ITA with this. This is just how I see the Athosian culture. Subdued, traditional in their own way, reserved and elegant to the extent that each move and ritual is carefully planned and executed. You know when you live as they do in danger of eminent death by life sucking aliens, you tend to want order and structure in your life. You want some kind of control over daily events. And given what Teyla said to her friend in Sunday about not being able to make the first move, this makes perfect sense for them. Even though she knew Kanaan all her life, she had to wait until he was ready to be with her.

I can imagine he might have hesitated since she spent so much time away from them. Some of the other Athosians may even have said something to make him hold off until he found out for sure how Teyla felt about him. He may even have met the guys on her team and yes, wondered if there was something between her and John. I'm sure she talked about him a lot and may even have had a bit of a crush. I mean, how could she not, but when it came time to make a decision he was sure that he was the one in her heart. Ronon also may have put a question or two in his mind until he got close to him and realized he was like a brother. Since John didn't spend any time with them that we know of, he wouldn't have known him as well.
                            I agree with you, especially the bolded. I mean how could anyone not have a crush on John; hes just too cute lol. But she chose Kanaan, she wouldn't have had him in Atlantis if she wasn't happy with him and in love; and he wouldn't have stayed away from the rest of his people unless he loved Teyla also. If all she needed/wanted him for was a babysitter she could've gotten a wet nurse, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                              I agree with you, especially the bolded. I mean how could anyone not have a crush on John; hes just too cute lol. But she chose Kanaan, she wouldn't have had him in Atlantis if she wasn't happy with him and in love; and he wouldn't have stayed away from the rest of his people unless he loved Teyla also. If all she needed/wanted him for was a babysitter she could've gotten a wet nurse, lol.
                              Precisely, there probably were plenty of Athosian women who would have loved to live in the city of the Ancients and be a nanny. LOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Precisely, there probably were plenty of Athosian women who would have loved to live in the city of the Ancients and be a nanny. LOL
                                LOL, yeah and I'm sure Teyla needed/wanted Kanaan for umm other things especially once Torren was asleep.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X