Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
    (ask HyperCaz about that...actually no she will talk for hours )
    Hey! I heard that! though it's true now that you mention it...no! bad Caz!

ooh nice pic Arlessiar. I would have watched Allies last night but I was busy at the movies instead (Nanny McPhee - squee)

July? this is bad news. bad bad bad news. see then I ought to be studying for final final final highschool exams but how do I survive without the good doc?

Comment

Originally posted by Mice
      Allies... Wow.

Lots of good Carsonage there. Very very creepy episode as well. And now I have to wait until JULY to find out what happens!

*WAIL!*

I thought there were some great Carson scenes in there, nice and comical and some good angst specially with Weir, though I would have liked to see more to it instead of generally throw away lines and surface stuff. He's been doing things so much against his established personality and I'd like more then a few lines to explain what he's going through, if nothing else then to give Paul some material to really sink his teeth into, we all know he's a bloody fantastic actor ('See Grace Fly' anyone??? Hell 'PtW'!!!), specially with the the highly emotional stuff. But on a whole, I found 'Allies' a little lackluster, definately not a patch on last year's season finale!

And no ep of his own for Beckett this year??? Nothing to rival 'Poisoning the Well' anyway!!!!! The only eps that really stand out for me are 'Instinct' (which had some great moments for him, but I thought was badly written plot wise), 'Conversion' (which was more Shep-centric), and Michael (which was DEFINATELY more Connor Trinneer AND Rachel's ep). Then there is 'Duet', more of a McKay episode but I think Beckett deserves a big chunk of the credit, he makes a terrific straight man and the perfect foil for Rodney. Some lovely moments in 'Seige Part 3', 'Critical Mass', and 'Coup D'Etat', plus the odd scene here and there (like the hand up in desperation in 'Epiphany' and the little hi wave in 'The Long Goodbye'). I still think its an absolutely waste it wasn't Carson (or even Radek) taken over in 'The Long Goodbye'!!!! Joe is your classic leading man, he totally fits the part, but I dont rate his acting range at all (did anyone actually see a difference in personality from 'Thalen' to Sheppard???????).

So all these things happening to poor Carson, going from basically a pasicficistic empathy driven Doctor, to the creator of what is basically a weapon of mass destruction, you would have thought a few private scenes of emotional soul searching and some angst factor stuff (yeah we got the odd line) would have been nice.

What I want to see next season is an ep Beckett/Paul carries, on a good day, to the scale of McKay's donimnation of 'Grace....' on a bad day, him dominating the A story. Be kinda nice to see him and McKay struggle to survive, lost somewhere and getting into a verbal pissing match and on who's buggered up the most, and has the heaviest burden on their conscience, whilst trying to save each other butts!!

Ok rant over!

Season 2 overall rating 5/10 (not bad, but not good either)
      Last edited by TJuk; 31 January 2006, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk
        I thought there were some great Carson scenes in there, nice and comical and some good angst specially with Weir, though I would have liked to see more to it instead of generally throw away lines and surface stuff.
        Oh, I definitely agree. He and Elizabeth both got the short end of the stick in this ep (as usual). Though I enjoyed some of the Ronon-McKay interaction, and was pleased to see Carson and Radek on screen together both of them being at their brave but timid best.

He's been doing things so much against his established personality and I'd like more then a few lines to explain what he's going through, if nothing else then to give Paul some material to really sink his teeth into, we all know he's a bloody fantastic actor
        Absolute agreement. I think Carson's been backed into a corner with nowhere to go but where he's at, and we should be *seeing* some of the misery that must be giving him. I can't believe he's doing any of this lightly, but we're really not seeing enough emotional struggle with it. I seriously believe that he doesn't have a choice in what he's doing if he wants humanity to survive, and that it's doing terrible things to his head.

And no ep of his own for Beckett this year??? Nothing to rival 'Poisoning the Well' anyway!!!!!
        I know. I was very disappointed by that, and was surprised that he didn't show up even once in Grace Under Pressure. I mean please -- Rodney with a severe concussion that made him hallucinate, and really he'd have to have the bends if they brought him from all those atmospheres back to the surface within about half an hour of jumper travel. There should have been at least a few scenes -- and to be honest, I think Carson should have gone with Shep and Zelenka to retrieve Rodney and the redshirt. He'd have been needed.

So all these things happening to poor Carson, going from basically a pasicficistic empathy driven Doctor, to the creator of what is basically a weapon of mass destruction, you would have thought a few private scenes of emtional soul searching and some angst factor stuff (yeah we got the odd line) would have been nice.
        Amen! Preach it sista!

What I want to see next season is an ep Beckett/Paul carries, on a good day, to the scale of McKay's donimnation of 'Grace....' on a bad day, him dominating the A story. Be kinda nice to see him and McKay struggle to survive lost somewhere and getting into a verbal pissing match and whose buggered up the most, and has the heaviest burden on their conscience, whilst trying to save each other butts.
        You and me both!

So glad to see you posting again! *hug*
        Mice
        Slash Rodent from Heck

http://www.squidge.org/mice

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk
          I thought there were some great Carson scenes in there, nice and comical and some good angst specially with Weir, though I would have liked to see more to it instead of generally throw away lines and surface stuff. He's been doing things so much against his established personality and I'd like more then a few lines to explain what he's going through
          Oh I agree. It seems we are lucky that we did get any angsty scenes at all! At least Carson
          Spoiler:
          worried a little and voiced his concern one or two times in "Michael" and he even referred to the whole disaster again in "Allies" when he hopes that something good will come out of the experiment. But that's not enough, especially since he's still working on the retrovirus weapon!
          He surely has some sleepless nights because of that, and I'd love to see something of that! But it seems these character moments simply aren't the first things SciFi writers have in mind when they fill the only 42 minutes they have. I can understand that to some degree, but not completely. Action is important and not everyone wants a soap opera in space, but the characters are important too and need to stay believable. For that they need 'in depth screentime'.

Originally posted by HyperCaz
          ooh nice pic Arlessiar. I would have watched Allies last night but I was busy at the movies instead
          Have some more caps then:

~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
          ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
            He surely has some sleepless nights because of that, and I'd love to see something of that!
            As would I - tossing and turning scene I have a hankering to see his quarters and what he sleeps in (bad Caz!). Paul said himself at the BOBW con he'd like Beckett's quarters to show up at some point.

HAIR!

Niiiice. *must watch when at home tonight*

Comment

'cause its a semi big/hallarious spoiler from allie's i'll just post the link

*snickers*

Can nobodies be somebodies?
              My Livejournal
              Lemming #63!

Comment

OMFG!!!! OMFG!!!! I am so greening you for that! it's like
                Spoiler:
                he's flashing someone

*has seen Allies yet*

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz
                  OMFG!!!! OMFG!!!! I am so greening you for that! it's like
                  Spoiler:
                  he's flashing someone

*has seen Allies yet*
                  That is because...spoilers

Spoiler:
                  He was!

Look I know I am going to get told off, but some of the comments although they may seem not to be spoilers are still hinting at things that have only just happened on the show to this character including...spoilers

Spoiler:
                  the darker turn for Carson's character.

Also we have a discussion Thread for Beckett, some of the more lengthy posts could have gone in there, I know hit me. But this is the Thunk and really spoilers and wordy posts are not for here. *realises she is posting a wordy post*

TJ, sorry I may have slightly over reacted but my point is, everything not in syndication is a potential spoiler.

Comment

Hey Everyone!! *big wave to all*

Man how I've missed this thread. Lurking now and then just isn't enough!!

DWR - thanks for the PM/CB b-day green, I wanted to send some jello your way for dropping by and still taking a ride on the Rockett, but I see you've switched the rep off....wonder why???

I'm so jealous that most of you have now seen most of SGA S2. I can't believe we still don't have a screening date here in Australia

Hypercaz - SapphireJQ just mentioned your trip to Antarctica, WOW!! Must have been really cold and white Hope you had a great time. And I am still oh so envious you got to snuggle up next to Dr.B. - love your sig!

TJuk - your website is food for my PM/CB soul....thanks for continually providing us with pics and info.

Arlessiar - thanks for still remembering me....I do try to drop by as often as I can, when I can. When I tried the other day, I couldn't cause Torri came online again....but believe me, if it was our Dr. B. I would go through hell and high water for the chance to chat to PM/CB.

Well, can't stay long, just want to say WELCOME to all the new thunkers, though I'm ashamed to admit I'm not here much myself
                    Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
                    and Captain Jack Harkness
                    Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
                    Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
                    Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
                    I live here.....Calling All Australians?
                    My other home...Stargate Down Under
                    My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Ok just saw that scene in Allies

Spoiler:
                      Beckett: We call it flashing.

freaking hilarious. you work that labcoat, Paul

Originally posted by Celestial
                      Hypercaz - SapphireJQ just mentioned your trip to Antarctica, WOW!! Must have been really cold and white Hope you had a great time. And I am still oh so envious you got to snuggle up next to Dr.B. - love your sig!
                      Of the great sig in question:
                      number of PMs asking about a con: 4
                      number of confused PMs asking how inimately I know Paul: 2
                      number of confused PMs asking if the guy in the sig pic is my husband and commenting how much he looks like Paul: 1

Antarctica was great!! There was this place called Port Lockroy down there that had some Scottish people and the Scottish flag flying that was funny...

eeee - hard - to - write - while - watching - really - sexy - Beckett

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
                        Hey Everyone!! *big wave to all*
                        *Waves back* Long time no post.

DWR - thanks for the PM/CB b-day green, I wanted to send some jello your way for dropping by and still taking a ride on the Rockett, but I see you've switched the rep off....wonder why???
                        Your welcome.

And it is off for numerious reasons including, peeps annoy me..all the bloody time..they just keep annoying me!

You can still green me it just means they don't show up unless I want them to, I can read the little messages and stuff. I can also be red repped!

Comment

***MY COMPUTER'S FIXED!!!***

YAHOOOoooooOOOOO!!!

Hello to ALL and a big ROWR to all those SCRUMPTIOUS Paulicious tidbits!!

Hotty, Hot, Hotentot!!!!! ~~pants~~
                          ~~hyperventilates~~
                          ~~loses consciousness~~
                          ~~~~~~~~ooooo! Dare I say, CALL A DOCTOR!

...hmm, wait a minute, that won't help at all, will it?

Then again, I do SO like being a sick lass!! ~~evil grin~~devil horns~~

I've missed the board SO much! It's a lovely coincidence that as soon as MY computer came back - Livejournal became FUBARed for a HUGE number of users (including me) so I can devote ALL my foruming to Gateworld!

A BIG WELCOME to all the newbies who joined since I last thunked!

I have NOT SEEN ANY of the new episodes yet ...excuse me....
                          ........AAAAAHHHHHHH! BEATS HEAD AGAINST WALL AT THE INJUSTICE OF EXISTANCE!!!.............

..........................................................ahem! I'm back....

so...ah...YES...the spoiler tags are greatly appreciated!

As I have no piccies to offer, thought I'd come bearing something a little different.....MP3s! Saw a lot of talk on the forum about what Paul sounds like without the Scottish accent, so I did a couple of soundcaps from two movies: The Deal and A Guy Thing.

They're both about 30 seconds, hope you like!

He has a DARLING voice!............fair warning: get the swooning pillows ready!

In A Guy Thing, Paul's the one saying the line about "loosening your tie".
                          (The other voice in James Brolin)

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/5...M_GuyThing.mp3

In The Deal, Paul is the one saying "I can't sleep at night".
                          (The other voice is Robert Loggia)
                          http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/53011/PM_TheDeal.mp3

AT
                          thistledown
                          sigpic

Comment

welcome back thistledown!!! *green*

voice clips much appreciated!!! and what a voice it is, no matter what accent it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown
                              ***MY COMPUTER'S FIXED!!!***
                              Woot!!

..........................................................ahem! I'm back....
                              So I gathered. Welcome home!

Paul from Allies, non-spoilery..(sorry if it has already been posted)

Comment

ooh what a lovely pic. looks like he's got stars in his eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X