No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the double post. But I really need a shoulder to cry on for a moment. So close, yet unable to make it. Congrats to the Boston Red Sox (and TJ) for your WS sweep.
    *sniff* poor Rockies..... I had hoped they'd win at least one game.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Originally posted by phibi View Post
      Spoiler:
      I didn't miss Sam and Keller... although it was weird to see Rodney in charge of the rescue mission. Frankly, that was a decision Carter should have made... It wasn't his place.
      But the scenes with Shep were great I really liked that ep And if I have to choose, I like it a tad better than Doppelganger.
      Spoiler:
      Probably you like Shep more... I donno. We are different. No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
        Spoiler:

I think this season blows. The acting has tanked (for everyone), I mean really really tanked. The guest casting is terrible, the stories haven't done it for me and I dont feel there is any chemistry now between the characters/actors, and the new leather looks cheap and tacky. And the hair, oh lord, the hair dept needs to be shot. The coloring, bad highlights, styling and wigs are all atrocious. We are now 1/4 into the season and I don't see a distinguished story arc yet. The only elements that I feel are being done well are the visual sfx and the musical score.

But I'm not a sci fi fan, I only watched cause I saw this:

And had to see more of that actor Paul McGillion I'm trying to give this season a shot, but the new changes- all of them- are not to my liking.
        Jenner, this is the thing I've never thought about you!! I mean, it's not bad, but I am still surprised you don't watch ANY other sci-fi shows....

Comment

Och, idlewild, have the bestest shoulder to cry on...

Sorry for the Rockies but nonetheless congrats for the Red Sox!

Spoiler:
          I'm serving a triple thunk for 'Suspicion'

BTW, watched the audiocommentary for 'Siege III', 'Runner' and 'Duet' today. For the most part HILARIOUS!
          I had a total Atlantis squee afterwards. Oh, how I missed that squee lately. *loves my Beckett*
          twinchaosblade .......................... ...... ...... ..........................Homepage and FanFic
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by idlewild202 View Post
            Sorry for the double post. But I really need a shoulder to cry on for a moment. So close, yet unable to make it. Congrats to the Boston Red Sox (and TJ) for your WS sweep.
            *sniff* poor Rockies..... I had hoped they'd win at least one game.
            Originally posted by twinchaosblade View Post
            Sorry for the Rockies but nonetheless congrats for the Red Sox!
            Sorry, Idlewild! They were really close tonight!

I'm almost sad that it didn't go to another game, so I could have seen Beckett play again ...

And some original Beckett pics, to make the post legal:

*DIMPLES!!!*

Comment

Spoiler:

I think this season blows. The acting has tanked (for everyone), I mean really really tanked. The guest casting is terrible, the stories haven't done it for me and I dont feel there is any chemistry now between the characters/actors, and the new leather looks cheap and tacky. And the hair, oh lord, the hair dept needs to be shot. The coloring, bad highlights, styling and wigs are all atrocious. We are now 1/4 into the season and I don't see a distinguished story arc yet. The only elements that I feel are being done well are the visual sfx and the musical score.

But I'm not a sci fi fan, I only watched cause I saw this:

And had to see more of that actor Paul McGillion I'm trying to give this season a shot, but the new changes- all of them- are not to my liking.
              sorry to hear that but not everyone likes the same. that would be boring, right? (and very crowded *lol*)

Convention-Pics: baby-turtles. de
              Visit me at my LJ

Comment

sorry to hear that but not everyone likes the same. that would be boring, right? (and very crowded *lol*)
                I agree

Comment

I wouldn't say that certain kinds of changes can't be a good thing, but I'm still quite wary of all the changes made thus far. I still don't really know how to feel about Carter, really - I haven't seen anything about her being in Atlantis that really impresses me at all yet, and that at the very least isn't a good way to introduce a new character. But more than that, the team spirit that used to be there feels subdued. It's almost as though there is now an emotional barrier between the characters, and they don't want to get too close now, perhaps for fear that they'll die, too. The comaraderie is gone and in its stead are brief and fleeting friendship moments (all of which seem to be McShep) that don't really give me the impression that the team is anything more than acquaintances who occasionally chat in the commissary over lunch.

It's not all about Beckett being gone, and if this distance between the remaining characters is intentional and meant to be a by-product of that, it is being poorly executed - though I suspect it's more than just that.

So I would agree that if it was exactly the same, it might be boring, but we've heard it time and again - change too many things that made the show great, and you get something that no longer resembles what the fans came to love. I'm hoping that with M&M as show-runners and seemingly at least sympathetic to our loss, I'm still trying to be hopeful that the latter part of the season, The Kindred in particular, will restore some of that great chemistry which the show is sufferingly devoid of now. In all honesty, it may be their only hope of keeping me as a viewer.

If they want to change something, they should change the characters. People do change after a while, and at the risk of turning a show like this into a soap opera, I dare say that changing a character or two would be more provacative than killing him off. The writers would've been better off having given the Beckett character a horrible experience with the Wraith or the Asurans that drove him to leave Atlantis of his own accord than just to kill him off in a meaningless and irrelevant death only meant to show that real life is dangerous. IMHO, it would've been far more dramatic than simply killing him with an exploding tumor and showing a lovely yet ultimately pointless funeral, being that none of the characters seem to even remember who the hell he is any more. "Beckett who? Oh, that guy who used to be my 'best friend' - I cared about him so much that I couldn't be bothered to even imply that my life was affected by his death at all in the proceeding episodes."

(minor Doppelganger spoiler)
                  Spoiler:
                  Rodney has nightmares about whales since being told the story of Moby Dick, particularly after GUP?
                  Puh-lease. You'd think the violent death of a man who was supposed to be his best friend would have incited even more of a reaction then.

WTH is the point of going to Atlantis and risking your life every day if you don't at least have a spectacular and meaningful death worthy of devoting an entire season arc to drawing out the drama (not to mention utilizing Paul's phenomenal ability as a dramatic actor) and then resolving it? Did he truly mean that little to them as a character? That's what I found so insulting about his death, and if M&M realize what it's going to take to keep me watching, they are going to bring him back permanently and give Paul that big moment to shine that everybody's been talking about at the end of season 4.

[/rant]
                  Last edited by Jersey13; 29 October 2007, 06:39 AM.

Comment

"Travelers" stuff
                    Spoiler:
                    I enjoyed the episode mostly (felt the little bits of the rescue team didn't give the rest of the cast much of anything to do), liked that Sheppard pulled some decent tricks on the Travelers (up until the pretty girl acted like she wanted to kiss him, of course). Still, was I the only one who kept getting flashbacks to SG-1's "Prometheus Unbound"?

((((Idlewild))))!!! So sorry to hear about the Rockies! I know that meant a lot to you. My dad's the same way over Red Wings hockey, so I totally understand. Cry it out on Carson's shoulder. He'll get you through it.

Oda, glad to hear your eyes are healing!

Very true. As Terry Pratchett says, "It'd be a funny old world if we were all the same." I've followed actors into genres I'd never watch otherwise a couple times. I'm impressed you're watching the new season even without Paul there.

I agree with the idea that darker doesn't have to mean death for beloved characters (at least not perma-death). I know people claim that if characters keep on returning, death loses its integrity on the show, but still, you can do some pretty brutal stuff to fans while not taking away their favorite people. Besides, I liked Atlantis' lighter episodes. What with watching stuff like Battlestar Galactica, reading the new Star Wars books (who killed off another of my favorite characters right around the same time Carson died) and having enough stress in real life, I like my escapist sci-fi. Can't wait till "Kindred"!

Wonderful "Sunday" pics. Carson was so incredibly hot in that episode. Love that cap, Oda. (I was amused to notice that one of Beckett's last patients was a hot young woman in fairly brief clothing.) I also like the one where he's finished the surgery, sits down, then makes up his mind to take the tumor to the bomb squad. Sad scene, but very nice intense expression.

Seti

Comment

Originally posted by JennyJ View Post
                      Jenner, this is the thing I've never thought about you!! I mean, it's not bad, but I am still surprised you don't watch ANY other sci-fi shows....
                      I've just about seen all of SG1 now, but just once. Other than that and SGA, nope, thats it

Hey, no worries. I just needed a little vent. It was all about the man for me

sigpic
                      www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                      Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

I've just about seen all of SG1 now, but just once. Other than that and SGA, nope, thats it

Hey, no worries. I just needed a little vent. It was all about the man for me

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...use/Just-9.jpg
                        Where is this cap from?
                        'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                        One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them'

SGA fanfiction I'm translating to english. It's a novel!

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen Undomiel View Post
                          Where is this cap from?
                          Jenner was nice enough to make caps for us from the episode of "Just Cause" that Paul guest starred in. The 'special' caps from towards the end of the ep are enough to make a whumper faint.

Oblige the newbies, Jenner!

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey13 View Post
                            Jenner was nice enough to make caps for us from the episode of "Just Cause" that Paul guest starred in. The 'special' caps from towards the end of the ep are enough to make a whumper faint.

Oblige the newbies, Jenner!

What special caps?????

sigpic
                            www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                            Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

*swoon*

Comment

REMINDER!!!

Spoiler:
                                All that want to participate, PM me name, address, email address, and up to 3 interests non-Stargate related because that one's a given. I will email you instructions from there. Last day to sign up is Thursday! Have a great day!!!
                                Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X