Dr Jennifer Keller/ Jewel Staite Appreciation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    Not a Teyla fan eh? Well for me this has the potential for me having three female characters that I like/love. I was so-so and liked Weir but she wasn't in my fav characters list. Oh and PMing mods now.
    I like Teyla fine she is often the only member of the TEAM to be nice to McKay, I like that.

Sadly, I don't know a dam thing about her after three seasons, she still seems like nothing more then the token female alien on SGA to me and that is a problem, I have to say I feel the same about Ronon (male version obviously) and I felt that way about Teal'c.

I hope season 4 does concentrate on Teyla as a *real* person
    Spoiler:
    not just a baby maker.
    I am worried Teyla will be written as less a person and more a plot device. *if that makes sense* I would love to see Keller be friends with Teyla, (it could be like Janet & Sam) and given what is happening with Teyla, and that Keller is a doctor, we could get some really nice moments between the two in season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
      I like Teyla fine she is often the only member of the TEAM to be nice to McKay, I like that.

Sadly, I don't know a dam thing about her after three seasons, she still seems like nothing more then the token female alien on SGA to me and that is a problem, I have to say I feel the same about Ronon (male version obviously) and I felt that way about Teal'c.

Spoiler:
      not just a baby maker.
      I am worried Teyla will be written as less a person and more a plot device. *if that makes sense* I would love to see Keller be friends with Teyla, (it could be like Janet & Sam) and given what is happening with Teyla, and that Keller is a doctor, we could get some really nice moments between the two in season 4.
      OT Post:
      Spoiler:
      You know the concept of Teyla pregnant was not the premise of the storyline for Teyla. I'm borderline tired of reminding aspects of fandom of this. Fandom went crazy over the statement and assumed that it's going to be about Teyla and parasite. JM said that wasn't the direction they were going to take but had to, in order to include RL and manage her appearance on screen. Her storyline then has nothing to do with her pregnancy---that's just thrown in for convenience. JM doesn't even really talk much about it, fandom is just obsessed over it.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Teyla's only getting 'character development' because Rachel's pregnant.”

Answer: Respectfully, dipstick, we already had an arc planned for the Teyla character and simply folded the pregnancy into said arc. Thanks for playing.
      August 16, 2007

JM also said in the mgm interview or was it the other interview he had where he stated that when they were writing Missing for Teyla that's when RL came to them and let them know she was expecting, hence the reason after Missing they just wrote her in as pregnant. But her arc was set and prepared mentally for them, this was just a crutch they had to overcome and felt this was the best way to do that.

Here's a thread in which I posted some of the arcs I read about which creates the ultimate arc and the quotes from JM's blog that relate:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=4407
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
        OT Post:
        Spoiler:
        You know the concept of Teyla pregnant was not the premise of the storyline for Teyla. I'm borderline tired of reminding aspects of fandom of this. Fandom went crazy over the statement and assumed that it's going to be about Teyla and parasite. JM said that wasn't the direction they were going to take but had to, in order to include RL and manage her appearance on screen. Her storyline then has nothing to do with her pregnancy---that's just thrown in for convenience. JM doesn't even really talk much about it, fandom is just obsessed over it.

August 16, 2007

JM also said in the mgm interview or was it the other interview he had where he stated that when they were writing Missing for Teyla that's when RL came to them and let them know she was expecting, hence the reason after Missing they just wrote her in as pregnant. But her arc was set and prepared mentally for them, this was just a crutch they had to overcome and felt this was the best way to do that.

Here's a thread in which I posted some of the arcs I read about which creates the ultimate arc and the quotes from JM's blog that relate:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=4407
        I know that, I do read his blog.

OT spoilers...
        Spoiler:

I actually like reading his blog most days but and this is why I do not believe too many spoilers early on, I have heard similar things in past seasons from tptb about characters and directions they will take in seasons, only to have things change (in this case beyond their control certainly) so even if Joe M said it from the mount on high, I would still take it with a huge grain of salt as I do not see their comments as set in concrete. I am sure in season two fans were told a certain Sheppard ep would be really good for him (the character) I sadly came away wondering why they always resort to putting him with females to develop him... not to mention the fact that, for all it's so called originality it was imho nothing more then a rip-off of Jack's One Hundred Days ep from SG-1.

Look I know many Teyla fans are grabbing at this season as the one to really develop her and I hope you guys are right, but I am too disappointed in tptb to entertain their comments as totally accurate, from start to finish.

Things change, SciFi still has as much control over the direction of the show as Joe M or Paul M have *well it seems that way to me* anything could change from now and when these eps screen... even the way an ep is cut can have a huge impact on what it ends up saying (The Tower had a rather odd cut in it that had fans wondering if Sheppard had sex with the young gal... just an example) and I have yet to see any show deal with a character getting pregnant, when it wasn't planned and she is single, and not stereotype her, Teyla is stereotyped as is imho, this just makes me feel like she may never be her own character, in her own right, she will be 'the alien' or 'the mother' or indeed 'the warrior' even the engagement thing Joe mentioned... well some have said if it is Teyla, then it could be about "her honor" good grief; if that is what Joe M was talking about I will not be pleased! Although to be honest I doubt they would stoop that low.

Finally before this is deleted for being off topic I personally find what tptb at Bridge see as development and an "emotional roller coaster" for characters, to be nothing like I think, I still have no idea what was supposedly so "dark" about season 3, apparently it was for the life of me I still can't see what was dark. Stupid, yes, back-peddling, most certainly... cop outs for Weir and Sheppard very likely, but dark?

Lets not forget to some fans (no doubt tptb as well) McKay has had loads of development, again I can't see that... so my comments were about what I feel tptb could do, not about what they have said they will do... I am too pessimistic *or smart* to believe them verbatim anymore.

Of course if it does happen and Teyla is used more and that use makes perfect sense and is not token or from left field, then I am happy to have you say 'I told you so'

Comment

Hi guys, haven't been to GW for a long time but I thought I'd drop by and do a huge *squee* that Jewel/Keller character profile is up on the MGM site!!!

Wahoo! She looks great too! I want her hair! lol

awesome sig by Camy!
          Sheppard/Teyla LiveJournal

Comment

I love the picture... She looks cute, cuter, cutest.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Spoiler:
              not just a baby maker.
              Yeah,i get what you mean,me and most of the other Teyla fans thought she was VERY underused in the first 3 seasons so we're very happy that she's getting a story arc this season but saying that most of them i think want to learn more about the Athosian leader herself and about the Athosians in general,there is great potential for some of the best storylines here and i'd like to see them use this.
              And i would love to see Teyla and Keller become really good friends,i think they could be great friends and i'd like to see that develop,as for Keller,i know or i think that she's a recurring character(sorry if i'm wrong) but i'd like to see her used quite a bit in S4,i hope we don't see her jut pop up here for a minute and pop up there for a minute!
              sigpic

Comment

I know that, I do read his blog.

OT spoilers...
                Spoiler:

I actually like reading his blog most days but and this is why I do not believe too many spoilers early on, I have heard similar things in past seasons from tptb about characters and directions they will take in seasons, only to have things change (in this case beyond their control certainly) so even if Joe M said it from the mount on high, I would still take it with a huge grain of salt as I do not see their comments as set in concrete. I am sure in season two fans were told a certain Sheppard ep would be really good for him (the character) I sadly came away wondering why they always resort to putting him with females to develop him... not to mention the fact that, for all it's so called originality it was imho nothing more then a rip-off of Jack's One Hundred Days ep from SG-1.

Look I know many Teyla fans are grabbing at this season as the one to really develop her and I hope you guys are right, but I am too disappointed in tptb to entertain their comments as totally accurate, from start to finish.

Things change, SciFi still has as much control over the direction of the show as Joe M or Paul M have *well it seems that way to me* anything could change from now and when these eps screen... even the way an ep is cut can have a huge impact on what it ends up saying (The Tower had a rather odd cut in it that had fans wondering if Sheppard had sex with the young gal... just an example) and I have yet to see any show deal with a character getting pregnant, when it wasn't planned and she is single, and not stereotype her, Teyla is stereotyped as is imho, this just makes me feel like she may never be her own character, in her own right, she will be 'the alien' or 'the mother' or indeed 'the warrior' even the engagement thing Joe mentioned... well some have said if it is Teyla, then it could be about "her honor" good grief; if that is what Joe M was talking about I will not be pleased! Although to be honest I doubt they would stoop that low.

Finally before this is deleted for being off topic I personally find what tptb at Bridge see as development and an "emotional roller coaster" for characters, to be nothing like I think, I still have no idea what was supposedly so "dark" about season 3, apparently it was for the life of me I still can't see what was dark. Stupid, yes, back-peddling, most certainly... cop outs for Weir and Sheppard very likely, but dark?

Lets not forget to some fans (no doubt tptb as well) McKay has had loads of development, again I can't see that... so my comments were about what I feel tptb could do, not about what they have said they will do... I am too pessimistic *or smart* to believe them verbatim anymore.

Of course if it does happen and Teyla is used more and that use makes perfect sense and is not token or from left field, then I am happy to have you say 'I told you so'
                Fair enough. OT Post:
                Spoiler:
                I personally find her quite developed in S1, unlike other people. S1 is reminiscint of a season long Teyla arc, the people she knows, Athosian's pasts, her connection with the Atlantis team, introduction to her skills and lineage.

I figured the writers since JM did say they were looking back at the seasons saw S1 and was really influenced by that. S2 and S3 were admittedly dry but they did show a bit of Teyla and gave us interesting aspects to who she is and her personality. I was withholding my issues on Teyla in S3 until the season was complete, I know many Teyla fans that actually liked her in S3 and felt she was used well---albeit they could have done a few different directions. I was a bit annoyed by things in S3 for the ladies. As for "dark" we're in the same boat. I don't know what was DARK. It just looked same old same old, and having stupidity like Irresponsible and Irresistable on screen didn't help their cause.

I'm a bit more hopeful on this end. Further more, let's look at it this way...Paul Mullie and Joe Mallozzi are in charge now (which they weren't head of during S3) and they've made a lot of inside changes it seems to make this season viable--unlike S3 in some ways. But again, I wasn't totally disappointed, although I will say many an ep didn't hold up the hype---not that was in the know the way I am now.
                Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  not just a baby maker.
                  I don't see them giving her just a plot device role. I feel they will develop a relationship between Keller and Teyla.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                    I don't see them giving her just a plot device role. I feel they will develop a relationship between Keller and Teyla.
                    Yeah i'm hoping they do that,i think it has the potential to become really good friends!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                      Yeah i'm hoping they do that,i think it has the potential to become really good friends!
                      I hope so. She was close friends with Carson so I hope they do go that route and so far it looks like they will.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

From the little we've seen so far, I think Keller will be a great addition to Atlantis! I can see her and Teyla becoming friends too. Hopefully the screen time they get together will help develop both character a bit more. With Teyla's pregnancy, it makes sense that Teyla will most likely be spending some time in the infirmary with Keller.
                        Sig by Cazzblade

Comment

i say bvring carson back and make keller a secondary character

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
                            From the little we've seen so far, I think Keller will be a great addition to Atlantis! I can see her and Teyla becoming friends too. Hopefully the screen time they get together will help develop both character a bit more. With Teyla's pregnancy, it makes sense that Teyla will most likely be spending some time in the infirmary with Keller.
                            I like what I've seen of Keller. She's interesting. My fingers are crossed.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Davesg-43 View Post
                              i say bvring carson back and make keller a secondary character
                              Hmm, I think to some extent Keller will be a secondary character in SGA anyway, to be honest Beckett was a secondary character, that, imho was part of the problem when they made him a regular; they forgot to make him part of the show, in that they only dropped him into scenes where often it made no sense to have him there... anyway... if Dr Jennifer Keller can get some better development and have an honest to god reason
                              Spoiler:
                              for going off world (as we see in the promos) and a good reason for her being more involved in what happens to the TEAM then
                              she could end up being better then Beckett, or at least used to better effect then Beckett.

Comment

I need to have a look at the site!!
                                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X