No announcement yet.

Dr Jennifer Keller/ Jewel Staite Appreciation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I liked it It's really well written. Thank you for posting it Like to say, spreading love for Jennifer Keller is what this thread is all about.

And Wraithlord, that's a lovely sig

Comment

Hey everyone! Wanted to pop in and show off my new sig.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
        I like it very well done
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
          Actually I liked it It's really well written. Thank you for posting it Like to say, spreading love for Jennifer Keller is what this thread is all about.
          Thanks for reviewing, Blencathra. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
            Very pretty!

And, you're welcome, Pandora.

So are we all looking forward the fact that Jewel will be in fifteen episodes during season 5???!!

Comment

I love the fact that she gets to be in so many eps.
              sigpic

Comment

I love that too. Plus, opening credits!

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Since she has so many eps this season, I think we will be able to dive deeper into her backstory, which will hopefully get some *certain* people off her back.

Comment

Originally posted by Krissie678 View Post
                    Since she has so many eps this season, I think we will be able to dive deeper into her backstory, which will hopefully get some *certain* people off her back.
                    Oh wouldn't that be nice stop the hate!
                    sigpic

Comment

And maybe this time the writers will actually agree on one backstory for her. Hopefull they'll finally decide whether she was a social outcast and introvert or bar-hopping social butterfly. 'Cause as it stands, she's been both so far.

I love Keller and I can honestly say that I like the character despite her inconsistent writing, but I can also see where people who don't like the character come from. I don't agree with them and I consider many of their arguments to be irrational considering that Keller's crazy history is TPTB's fault. From what we've seen of the character she's hardly whiny and incompetent and incapable of being a doctor.

But I can also see how someone who already dislikes her wouldn't be anymore endeared to her after seeing that even the show's writers couldn't be bothered to really give her a plausible backstory. Doesn't inspire much faith in the character or in TPTB's plans for the character. I hope they decide to change that. Jewel, as great of an actress as she is, deserves better than that from SGA.
                      sigpic

Comment

I found a very well written Jennifer story today! Nothing really shippy, just her taking charge in a horrible situation.
                        We are Never Broken by FallenPride.

Comment

I found a very well written Jennifer story today! Nothing really shippy, just her taking charge in a horrible situation.
                          We are Never Broken by FallenPride.
                          Off to read it!
                          sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I disagree to an extent, PB.

I don't think the drinking games/"social outcast" things are really in conflict. You can be somewhat of an introvert and at-the-fringes socially, and still have friends that you go out with. Also, she could very easily have had few friends and social opportunities in high school, but have grown out of that in college.

That's not an inconsistency at all to me.
                            Theoretically spoilerish:
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                              I disagree to an extent, PB.

I don't think the drinking games/"social outcast" things are really in conflict. You can be somewhat of an introvert and at-the-fringes socially, and still have friends that you go out with. Also, she could very easily have had few friends and social opportunities in high school, but have grown out of that in college.

That's not an inconsistency at all to me.
                              I'll agree that she could have grown out of it by college. Or at least by the time she entered med school because, let's keep in mind, she finished her BA by the age of eighteen.

But see? That's where the inconsistencies start for me. For her to have gotten the education and experience necessary to advance so far, so fast in her career, she would have needed to hit med school directly after college. That's another 3 or 4 years, depending on the school. She would have always been the youngest in her class. Probably among the most studious. Not to say she couldn't have been sociable, but by the time she would have been legally able to drink in a bar and actually participate in bar drinks, her time in med school would have been over.

I'm not trying to suggest that med students or residents don't hang out in bars and drink senseless amounts of alcohol. What I'm trying to say is that, more often than not, it takes a certain kind of personality to achieve all that Jennifer has, as quickly as she has achieved.

This is not to say that I don't think she wouldn't have gone to parties occasionally or learnt bar games eventually. I just feel like her character has come across as very inconsistent because we went from her telling her social outcast story in 'Quarantine' and telling Teyla about her horrid childhood experiences with camp in 'Missing', to her suggesting bar games in 'Trio' and betting on beer.

I find it far more plausible for her to have been, not necessarily a social outcast or extreme introvert, but definitely the more studious, more serious, less prone to wild nights of drinking type of person. I think her social outcast story in 'Quarantine' was too much, but then I think everything in 'Quarantine' was too much.

Who knows. Maybe I just feel this way because her character was only recurring last season and as such didn't lend herself to much development. Maybe TPTB didn't know if she was coming back so they didn't give it much thought. I just feel like with the other characters, their histories and their current personalities and places in life mesh. With Keller, I'm not getting that same feeling of cohesiveness and I think it's to the character's detriment.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                                but by the time she would have been legally able to drink in a bar and actually participate in bar drinks, her time in med school would have been over.
                                Now, I'm not saying I condone this. In fact, I wouldn't know anything about it. But I hear that some people have these IDs that, purely by accident, imply that they might be older than they actually are. Not that I've ever seen such a mistake or capitalized upon it...
                                Theoretically spoilerish:
                                Spoiler:
                                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Working...
                                X