This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hyperspace View Post
    I just realized there's a bit of a Catch-22 here...S4 is key to S5 (ratings-wise), yet S4 is w/o Torri. So if we are left rooting for S4 to succeed with Amanda, and if it does, then S5 might keep Amanda on.

Actually at this point I wouldn't mind a Special Guest Star and meaty, enjoyable return appearances.
    See, for me, 4 episodes is not enough. I don't need Sam Carter coming over to Atlantis to make it a more enjoyable experience for me. I liked it just fine the way it was.

Because I truly think that if S5 does happen, Carter is going to stay.

Comment

Good Evening All!

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Hyperspace
      I just realized there's a bit of a Catch-22 here...S4 is key to S5 (ratings-wise), yet S4 is w/o Torri. So if we are left rooting for S4 to succeed with Amanda, and if it does, then S5 might keep Amanda on.

Actually at this point I wouldn't mind a Special Guest Star and meaty, enjoyable return appearances.

Originally Posted by Suz
      See, for me, 4 episodes is not enough. I don't need Sam Carter coming over to Atlantis to make it a more enjoyable experience for me. I liked it just fine the way it was.

I'm not sure what to think. I do get the point that if Season 3 and Season 4 don't get the ratings or generate a positive buzz among fans, that there probably won't be a Season 5. I still don't understand how TPTB (network) measures ratings though. I don't agree with reducing Elizabeth's role. I have no idea what the new direction is for Season 4, so I could have my head squarely up my ass, but I really think they could have kept Elizabeth full-time. Or, I really wish they would have.

I'm not too thrilled with Carter coming to Atlantis to be the new leader. If the approach is now full-boar military, fine. I guess they couldn't turn John into the leader and still allow him to go offworld.

But, why does the Weir character have to be reduced? What if Elizabeth's role turned into research and diplomat? She's fluent in Ancient and other languages. Maybe she could take her gift for learning other languages and learn even more about the ancients and even get a handle on Wraith language. She could be brought along on offworld missions to handle trade and negotiations. Hell, teach her to handle a gun and stick fight. At least that way, if push came to shove, she could defend herself in a hostile situation. Show her interacting with Carter in a meaningful peer-to-peer way. Have her become more involved with the offworld team. Would she go along on every mission - probably not. But, she could be a heckuva lot more involved than four episodes.

Sorry to ramble, I'll try to get back on track.

Right now, I guess my strategy is to keep watching Season 3. Give Season 4 a shot, focusing my energies on the episodes that have Elizabeth in them. Give the other Season 4 episodes a shot, but if it's not working for me, if I can't get into the show, then I won't be as dedicted to watching every week as I am now. My #1 strategy though???? To keep making as much noise as possible and encourage others to do so with TPTB. To keep sending postcards and letters and emails communicating the reasons why I think Torri and the Weir character deserve to be kept around on more than a recurring basis.

On a kinda related topic.....I haven't done much surfing of the other online locations for SGA fandom. Any idea how much noise SEW is actually making? There seems to be a fair amount of folks who post here on GW, but I know there are other sites out there. I'm just trying to get an idea of how many vocal supporters are out there actively participating in SEW. I've sent in several postcards so far and a letter or two, and will keep doing this. Just curious as to how big the movement is......if there's any way to tell that.

Good Lord, I was all over the map on this one tonight. Sorry!
      sigpic
      Signature by Erin87

Comment

194 pages wow
        I'd be sad as well to see her go, she as a diplomat is how I (and likely the Ancients) would like to see the Atlantis expedition directed, not my military (who'd of course be US only btw).
        Of course the 2 wars at a time like situation at the end of S3 is probably not ideal to make use of her skills.
        Maybe it will actually be interesting to see Weir and Carter compete for the position.

Btw, anyone noticed that smiley looks like Weir possessed by an Ori ?
        Hey that could be a nice new plot arc !

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
          Right now, I guess my strategy is to keep watching Season 3. Give Season 4 a shot, focusing my energies on the episodes that have Elizabeth in them. Give the other Season 4 episodes a shot, but if it's not working for me, if I can't get into the show, then I won't be as dedicted to watching every week as I am now. My #1 strategy though???? To keep making as much noise as possible and encourage others to do so with TPTB. To keep sending postcards and letters and emails communicating the reasons why I think Torri and the Weir character deserve to be kept around on more than a recurring basis.
          You're nicer then I am! As of right now, I'm not going to watch S4 at all. However I am debating whether or not to watch Torri's episodes. I think I could probably do that.

On a kinda related topic.....I haven't done much surfing of the other online locations for SGA fandom. Any idea how much noise SEW is actually making? There seems to be a fair amount of folks who post here on GW, but I know there are other sites out there. I'm just trying to get an idea of how many vocal supporters are out there actively participating in SEW. I've sent in several postcards so far and a letter or two, and will keep doing this. Just curious as to how big the movement is......if there's any way to tell that.
          Not sure how many people are out there writing letters. I hope it's a lot. I think that there are a lot of people who like to lurk but they still like to be involved. I've seen a lot of letters written about Weir/Torri and I don't recognize the names (not that I know everyone, of course). So I hope that the word is getting out. We have 2 yahoogroups, a live journal and a few other boards that I try to keep updated about the campaign.

I just realized - it's been over 4 months now since I started this campaign!

Comment

Originally posted by mmu_man View Post
            194 pages wow
            I'd be sad as well to see her go, she as a diplomat is how I (and likely the Ancients) would like to see the Atlantis expedition directed, not my military (who'd of course be US only btw).
            Of course the 2 wars at a time like situation at the end of S3 is probably not ideal to make use of her skills.
            Maybe it will actually be interesting to see Weir and Carter compete for the position.
            Good to see new blood posting in the Save Weir thread!

Hopefully, it won't come to this, and Dr. Weir will return to her rightful place, but I suppose that Ori possessed Weir, or even RepliWeir would be better than no Weir at all.
            sigpic

Comment

Well, I went to the scifi forums and there was only one post on the subject so I started the discussion and put the link to SEW.com !!

Comment

[QUOTE=SMB_BOOKS;6718447]Good Evening All!

I
                But, why does the Weir character have to be reduced? What if Elizabeth's role turned into research and diplomat? She's fluent in Ancient and other languages. Maybe she could take her gift for learning other languages and learn even more about the ancients and even get a handle on Wraith language. She could be brought along on offworld missions to handle trade and negotiations. Hell, teach her to handle a gun and stick fight. At least that way, if push came to shove, she could defend herself in a hostile situation. Show her interacting with Carter in a meaningful peer-to-peer way. Have her become more involved with the offworld team. Would she go along on every mission - probably not. But, she could be a heckuva lot more involved than four episodes.

!/QUOTE]

I don't understand either.I have always thought Dr Weir has so much potential as a character. There is no good reason why she could not go off world all the time, its fiction and sci fi after all.
                It would be great to she how she would handle dangerous situations and it would be a great chance for more interaction with the team.
                Oh yes, I would really like to see a stick fight training session between her and Teyla ( hey I'm a guy)

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                  On the bright side *lol* if the ratings stay that bad then there won't be a S5 without Elizabeth. Wonder what they'll blame it on, not on the bad PR for the show someone is doing or the cast changes that have been known for some time now, it will be the downloads and the usual when in fact it could be all of that combined that is contributing to the low ratings.
                  i suspect ratings for season 4 will be influenced by the fact that SG1 is gone, and wish pushing Carter onto SGA, that will draw in some SG1 fans who will just want to see something Stargatey (if you visit any number of boards, fans who have not watched SGA will watch it with Carter on it, hence, the network's plan is working). However, they'll lose a number of fans who watch for Weir, but I don't think the network really cares.

The writing will be the biggest influence on ratings; it wasn't that hot on the tail end of SG1, hence, loss of viewership and subsequent cancellation (the escalating costs of cast, etc, didn't help either). So far the spoilers sound *promising* but it remains to be seen if the episodes are really good.

Ratings are going down across the boad on tv due to downloads, tivoing, etc. And Scifi's inane strategy of six months hiatuses between 'seasons' just hurts the shows.

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=43879

I've just been over to see the Favourite Character Poll, and Weir is still going strong. Has even over shot McKay .
                    BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Morning!

Kindu said:
                      Well, I went to the scifi forums and there was only one post on the subject so I started the discussion and put the link to SEW.com !!
                      COOL - I just went on that site and added my voice to the discussion.

peterl said:
                      Oh yes, I would really like to see a stick fight training session between her and Teyla ( hey I'm a guy)
                      LOL - I'd like to see it too, not for the reasons you would, but still.... I like to see women who are assertive and strong without being perceived as being the big "B". I think Torri was right in that recent magazine article where she said Weir should know how to handle a gun by now. Yep. I would think regular self-defense and weapons training should have been required for all senior staff leaders, even those not involved on offworld missions.

prion said:
                      The writing will be the biggest influence on ratings; it wasn't that hot on the tail end of SG1, hence, loss of viewership and subsequent cancellation (the escalating costs of cast, etc, didn't help either). So far the spoilers sound *promising* but it remains to be seen if the episodes are really good.
                      I know for me, personally, if I can't get into the story, I won't watch. Won't matter who is there or not. I want Weir full-time. That doesn't mean she has to have a major part in every episode, but I also think her role could and should have been expanded beyond the give the go ahead and sit back and worry role. Perhaps Season 4 will give her more meaty airtime in the 4 episodes she is in and in the meantime the fans can persuade TPTB that we value the character and think Torri as Weir could pull off a more involved role in Season 5. Heck, if we are loud and persuasive enough, maybe there is a chance for a few more episodes in the back half of Season 4!

Wormhold said:
                      I've just been over to see the Favourite Character Poll, and Weir is still going strong. Has even over shot McKay .
                      YAY!
                      sigpic
                      Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        i suspect ratings for season 4 will be influenced by the fact that SG1 is gone, and wish pushing Carter onto SGA, that will draw in some SG1 fans who will just want to see something Stargatey (if you visit any number of boards, fans who have not watched SGA will watch it with Carter on it, hence, the network's plan is working). However, they'll lose a number of fans who watch for Weir, but I don't think the network really cares.
                        Well, the plan is flawed cause SG-1 fans (including myself) certainly watched SGA in the first place, and had no reason to stop doing it. Bringing Carter on board will only encourage what most would do anyway. On the other hand, reducing SGA's leading actress to recurring character status to open space for SG-1 Carter will give SGA fans plenty of reason to stop watching the show. Had Skiffy and TPTB wanted the best of both worlds, they would have kept SGA's cast intact, and added Carter, but, nooo, why satisfy the fans when you can save some bucks?
                        sigpic

Comment

Morning!

COOL - I just went on that site and added my voice to the discussion.
                          I've seen it ! ! Thank you for that !! That's good to make people talk about that !!

@Suz : 4 months !!! You rock !!

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
                            Ok, looking at caps for my wallies, a thought occured to me.

First Strike spoilers and s4 obviously:
                            Spoiler:
                            In the end we can see Elizabeth with bruised and cut cheek. And then there's this pic that Joe Mallozzi posted. Everyone says it's not a flashback or anything because Ronon and Rodney still have the bruises from First Strike, yet Elizabeth isn't bruised at all (or maybe she is but i'm blind). I are confuzzled.

Just a thought from a confuzzled lurker.
                            Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                            Well, I'm confuzzled too.

Spoiler:

I think she's sitting too far back to see it.

Originally posted by Hyperspace View Post

Special Guest Star as in Janet F. type guest Star, I would be alright with (17 episodes at least)

And a good crossover....

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=43879

Hey, Weir is just behind Sheppard... score!
                            sigpic
                            Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
                            |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Morning All! Happy Tuesday!

Man, I LOVE 3 day weekends!
                              Me too! Sometimes a little too much...
                              What day is it? LOL

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post

Yep, 4 episodes is not enough. I'm starting to wonder if we'll get anything in the back half. Might have to poke JM this weekend.

As far as season 5 (if it happens) I'm hoping for more Elizabeth because:

Spoiler:
                              1. AT will need a new contract and maybe they won't want to pay her for as many episodes or she'll just want out all together.
                              2. RL may want to do fewer episodes in order to spend time with her baby (if she is really pregnant).

This would leave more time for Elizabeth, but who knows? Maybe their ultimate plan is to get rid of all the women!

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                              I just realized - it's been over 4 months now since I started this campaign!
                              Where would we be without you, Suz?
                              sigpic
                              sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Hi all!

Hey - spent a little time today cruising on SciFi. Found a few links that might be interesting to the Gateworld SEW crew. Most of you have probably already seen these, so these are for the folks that haven't or don't regularly visit SciFi....hope these links work....some of these might have spoilers, not sure, so beware....

Favorite Character Poll
                                http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?sh...&#entry3465433

What Happens To Elizabeth Weir?
                                http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?sh...&#entry3465540

Anyhoo - just a couple. Enjoy if you want or ignore if ya don't!
                                sigpic
                                Signature by Erin87

Comment

Working...
                                X