No announcement yet.

Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I was here, there was some controversy about my being called Wraithie as someone else had come along being called that. I just didn't feel like fighting over my nickname. We Old Timers know I was the original Wraithie in here. No point in hurting the feelings of someone so insecure they felt the need to get aggressive over it.
    sigpic

Comment

I do not see many of the members originally posting in this thread around anymore, when I signed up, most of them were gone already..and sadly it seems like people just discovering Stargate are not so much into the Wraiths

Comment

That is sad. They really had the potential to develop the Wraith so much more than they did, especially after it came out that Todd was around when Atlantis was still populated by the Atlanteans. Imagine what could have been learned if those snoops hadn't been so queasy about where Todd got his meals. It's not like they could save everyone. For that matter, those folks were a prime example of earth humans sticking their noses where they didn't belong. Ronan should have been pissed at them. After all, if it weren't for them, the Wraith would not have been awakened early, and his wife would not have died because his world would not have been attacked when it was.
        sigpic

Comment

Indeed, but it is always easier to blame others to be the bad ones if you mess up than take the shame on yourself..it was balanced for so many years before the humans from earth arrived on Atlantis, and woke every Wraith..only there's hardly anyone blaming them

Comment

Well. I have done my fair part of evolving the Wraith as a race if you read my tribe ideas 2 pages ago.

I always wanted to see a Nox-Wraith conflict what I have mentioned in my fan fic thread. So if the WRaith could drain life energy, then there must be someone who can restore it. It could have been interesting how they see each other as both of them want to "survive". So even if the Wraith feed on humans, they only jsut wanted to live.

I was also thinking on some Ancient technology which also requires life energy. Okay, this was not really established in the canon, but when they have defeated Svarog's Jaffa in season 5, then the machine has drained all the lifeforce from the renegade NID agent. Also when Jacob/Selmak has activated the weapon on the Dakara in season 8, then his life force was also consumed by the machine. So they could have connected these events to the Wraith. Maybe some returning Ancients were already infected even if they looked like in human form or there is a hive in the Milky Way.... Anything can happen in a fan fiction.

Life force wise the sarcophagus technology is also a mystery. I am guessing they never really wanted to mix the SG-1-Atlantis lore elements too deeply, but even that life restoring tech could have been connected to the Wraith.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'm not seeing the sarcophagus as being Wraith tech. Remember, their tech is a mix of living and mechanical. Also, the sarcophagus tech would have given them a sustained source of food without the need to cull humans. They could have simply rejuvenated their food over and over. Also, without major trauma to kill them, a wraith could live thousands upon thousands of years. It seemed, from the show, the major killer of wraith were wars between the hives for feeding rights in an area or just olain power. The Queens did not play well together.

That general who got into a personal fight with Ronan was suposedly 10,000 years old and so was Todd. A species who could live that long would have no need for life rejuvenating tech.

Yes. The Wraith only wanted to survive. That was my point about the nosy humans. They didn't choose humans to be their food. Their origin was both an accident and an experiment. The Ancients were trying to create an expendable species who could do their dangerous exploring and fighting for them. The Wraith turned on their creators for self-determination. Also, the Wraith did not need rejuvenation tech because they had mastered cloning. That eliminated natural birth. As long as the genetic material supplied was not corrupted, they could make all of the type of wraith they needed at any given time.
              Last edited by Wraithworshipper; 26 April 2020, 09:48 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

It is bad luck Wraiths need to feed on humans, I always thought that some at least would prefer a different way to eat and live in peace, if only it would be possible for them.
                They are a bit like panda bears and koalas sadly, and cannot simply eat something else, but that was not their choice as it is not for a panda bear either
                Last edited by DarkenLycht; 26 April 2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

That's why the show ending as Todd finds a way to make it possible for Wraith to feed on regular food pissed me off. That would have led to a whole new story arc about strife between the Wraith. There would have been reasonable wraith willing to change so as not to be dependent on a single food source. There would have been wraith wanting to co-exist, and then there would have been the die hards not willing to give up the joy juice of feeding on a terrified human. It would have made Wraith relations messier and more convoluted.

It also raises the question of Wraith longevity being shortened or made like a human? Would they still be able to give "the gift of life"? (My guess would be no.) Would Wraith sciences suddenly take a leap forward since they would now know the limits of a shorter life span? Would there now be an imperative to reproduce biologically creating a need for females who are NOT "Queens"? This is all just off the top of my head.
                  sigpic

Comment

Indeed, that would make a good many books of fan fic to answer all these questions in stories about the Wraith.
                    I don't know though, giving up the ability of living long/and or not being able to give the gift of life might not be worth to have another way to eat. On the other hand though, it could mean they might have a life in peace and could focus on other things than worrying about food supply and such matters coming along with that

Comment

The fact they were awakened too early put great pressure on them and increased strife amongst the hives because they were having to fight each other for food. Not being bound to the single food source, it might also create a split species with those who feed on humans looking down on the "grass eaters".
                      sigpic

Comment

That's what I thought about too, if there would be Wraiths who are being looked down upon for their choice not to feed like the others. I would hope not, but likely it would be that way because they have other negative traits of humans, too...

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily call it a human trait. It's a trait of the dominant over a weaker opponent, if indeed the converted wraith lost some of their more powerful physical attributes. Remember, the first wraith were primitive iratus bug human hybrids which were more bug than human. The Ancients decided to selectively breed/experiment from there, and the hybrids continued to evolve from that primitive state. I think that's why the older wraith, like Todd and the General, were more distinctive from one another than the later "prettier" wraith whom I think were mostly cloned.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes that is true though I personally never understood the "looking down on someone else" thing. If one thinks they are better than someone else, they should also be wiser and know that there is no need to look down on someone

However I think Todd is very pretty

Comment

I like Todd's looks and tall, lanky build, but let's face it, he really could use a comb! I remember someone compiling a list of pics showing the various knots in his hair. I wonder if that somehow became a running gag on the show. I used to watch WKRP in Cincinnati. One of the actors was wearing a bandaid for a real injury. Someone wrote in asking about it. After that, it became a viewers' game. 'Where is Les wearing a bandaid this episode?'
                              sigpic

Comment

Might well be a running gag yes

One however could assume that the only way to get rid of the knots would be to cut his hair short, since they have been in their for so long and maybe Todd rather has messy hair than to be short-haired. I don't know XD

Comment

Working...
                                X