Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
    []… they are far more human than Iratus. They owe more to their monkey heritage than to the 'bug'…
    I have been reading what all of you said about possibilities in Wraith reproduction and as the series didn’t say a word about it, there can be a lot of speculations. I also think that they look more human than Iratus. They walk as we do, they can communicate telepathically but they still have the vocal cords in order to speak when necessary, and they even have hair. Yes, we saw that insects have no hair and the Wraiths do. That is a characteristic of primates.

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
    It's unlikely that all the Wraith human ancestors were well along the path to ascension so it could be that the combination of Iratus bug and human DNA resulted in brains with increased synaptic interaction.
    With human DNA they maybe developed feelings too. What do you think? Remember that feelings are useful for the survival of the species also, because that prevents the murdering of each other as a species when they protect each other –all that we know could not exactly be this way because they are as aggressive as humans - But feelings helps to preserve life.

Comment

Originally posted by Luna Fantasma - Wraith Lover View Post
      With human DNA they maybe developed feelings too. What do you think? Remember that feelings are useful for the survival of the species also, because that prevents the murdering of each other as a species when they protect each other –all that we know could not exactly be this way because they are as aggressive as humans - But feelings helps to preserve life.
      Feelings is just another word for emotions. Not all emotions help to preserve life. Anger, hatred, the desire for revenge etc. can do the opposite.
      sigpic

Comment

Feelings is just another word for emotions. Not all emotions help to preserve life. Anger, hatred, the desire for revenge etc. can do the opposite.
        Yes, it's true, but love is the one which helps to preserve life. I dont know if the Wraiths have feelings of love, but if they can feel anger and desire of revenge it could also be possible for them to experience some kind of love. Maybe among a Queen and her sons or at least the males who are a Queen's servants can also love her in other aspects beyond the fact that she is the one who rules.

Comment

IMO it's safe to assume that Wraith have the whole range of emotions that humans have. And didn't Todd say: "we are more alike than you think, Sheppppaaarrrrrrd." (or something in that style... too lazy to research the exact wording, meh)

Not entirely related to Wraith but to SGA as a whole: I got to write a review for 'Legacy' for a big German sci-fi blog and online magazine. I'm so chuffed! Of course I seized the opportunity to talk about WRAITH.

For anyone who's interested, here's the link. It's only in German though.
          SGA Legacy review on CORONA MAGAZINE

EDIT: the second last paragraph is slightly out of date because the review got published shortly before Jo and Melissa announced the new date for 'Allegiance'.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post

Not entirely related to Wraith but to SGA as a whole: I got to write a review for 'Legacy' for a big German sci-fi blog and online magazine. I'm so chuffed! Of course I seized the opportunity to talk about WRAITH.

EDIT: the second last paragraph is slightly out of date because the review got published shortly before Jo and Melissa announced the new date for 'Allegiance'.
            Great review. One of the best I ever read. I also like your profile pic and entry.
            sigpic

Comment

IMO it's safe to assume that Wraith have the whole range of emotions that humans have. And didn't Todd say: "we are more alike than you think, Sheppppaaarrrrrrd." (or something in that style... too lazy to research the exact wording, meh)

What a lovely review, at least as far as I can tell from Google Translate, which admittedly has certainly mangled some things! (The Genii have rendered their soup opaque....)
              sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Yes, it's true, but love is the one which helps to preserve life. I dont know if the Wraiths have feelings of love, but if they can feel anger and desire of revenge it could also be possible for them to experience some kind of love.
                Todd said the gift of life is reserved for brothers which implies some kind of love.

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                What a lovely review, at least as far as I can tell from Google Translate, which admittedly has certainly mangled some things! (The Genii have rendered their soup opaque....)
                How can I get the Google Translate option?

I hope DS explains what the opaque soup is supposed to mean.

PS: I googled Google Translate and am reading it now.
                sigpic

Comment

A great review spoiled only by Google Translate's somewhat baffling translation. If only it was as good as your English.

It gave up with the word, augenzwinkender, and I can't figure out what Tumbes cannon fodder is supposed to mean. The Genii cooking opaque soup conjurers up a very strange image too.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                    A great review spoiled only by Google Translate's somewhat baffling translation. If only it was as good as your English.

It gave up with the word, augenzwinkender, and I can't figure out what Tumbes cannon fodder is supposed to mean. The Genii cooking opaque soup conjurers up a very strange image too.
                    Because of such mistakes I´d never recommend google translate.

augenzwinkernd - winking -> humor with a wink
                    tumb - dull -> dull cannon fodder

If in German someone cooks an "undurchsichtiges Süppchen" it means they have something devious in mind.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WraithCat View Post
                      augenzwinkernd - winking -> humor with a wink
                      tumb - dull -> dull cannon fodder

If in German someone cooks an "undurchsichtiges Süppchen" it means they have something devious in mind.
                      Thanks for the clarification. Google Translate isn't programmed to translate idioms sensibly.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Google Translate isn't programmed to translate idioms sensibly.
                        Or translate at all, sometimes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you all! It was such fun to write the review!

But yes, google translator (or any online translator for that matter) has serious deficiencies. I was playing with the idea of translating the entire review if the interest is big enough. Though, admittedly, the idioms may give me a hard time.

EDIT: WTF?! Google Translate made me a "partisan"?! I'm just reading the translation and it's seriously borked in places.
                          Last edited by Draco-Stellaris; 14 September 2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Idioms are always difficult to translate... in any language, especially by automatic translators. I´ve seen a lot of such translations that gave me the creeps... followed by a headdesk and a loud "Ouch!!! That´s just so WRONG. ".
                            Last edited by Gatecat; 14 September 2011, 09:37 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

IMO it's safe to assume that Wraith have the whole range of emotions that humans have. And didn't Todd say: "we are more alike than you think, Sheppppaaarrrrrrd." (or something in that style... too lazy to research the exact wording, meh) .
                              I remember that part yes. That made me think clearly that they have at least some things in their culture that are similar to us. I always want to imagine that they have feelings.
                              SGA Legacy review on CORONA MAGAZINE .
                              T_T I am German descendant with German name and surname but I can’t speak or understand it, sadly. If not, I’d read your story. By the way I saw your profile pic and you are cute! Put more pics of you on DA!

Todd said the gift of life is reserved for brothers which implies some kind of love.
                              In that aspect we have a clear deduction that they might have feelings. Good point Ciannwn! I haven’t watched all SGA yet. I didn’t watch the 4 season and the 5 one. Those words Todd said to Sheppard in S3 I remember. Then I will know more about the Wraiths!

Comment

T_T I am German descendant with German name and surname but I can’t speak or understand it, sadly. If not, I’d read your story. By the way I saw your profile pic and you are cute! Put more pics of you on DA!
                                Thank you! I don't think I'll put pictures of me on dA though. It's not important what I look like, it's how people perceive me through my work.

RE Wraith feelings: that phrase struck me as awesome from the very first time I've seen 'Common Ground'. "The gift of life is reserved only for our most devout worshippers ... and our brothers." *shivers* Note to self: rewatch of 'Common Ground' asap.

Comment

Working...
                                X