Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post

Sorry to interfere in your discussion but I found this so utterly unbelievable....
    Well, as I work with teengers, yes, I can see some of them saying that. As they only read to make school reports and such, it's hard for them to realize how much your imagination can make you travel without a dvd or a video game. It's like a reader being an alien from a completly different universe.
    Have you suggested to delete 2000 songs of his/her Ipod? Or give some games to charity? Or cut off a limb, while she/ he was at it? ;D
    Whilst I firmly believe teenagers are a hell spawn for the most part (I too work with kids), and probably need slapping at least once a day, limb amputation seemed a little harsh, even to me.

Or perhaps I should make her listen to Shawaddy-waddy...?

----------------
    Now playing: Kings Of Leon - Fans
    via FoxyTunes
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
      Whilst I firmly believe teenagers are a hell spawn for the most part (I too work with kids), and probably need slapping at least once a day, limb amputation seemed a little harsh, even to me.

----------------
      via FoxyTunes
      Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!! Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Truly a fate worse than death!
      sigpic
      Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Sorry to interfere in your discussion but I found this so utterly unbelievable....
        Well, as I work with teengers, yes, I can see some of them saying that. As they only read to make school reports and such, it's hard for them to realize how much your imagination can make you travel without a dvd or a video game. It's like a reader being an alien from a completly different universe.
        Have you suggested to delete 2000 songs of his/her Ipod? Or give some games to charity? Or cut off a limb, while she/ he was at it? ;D
        Ummm.... this teenager would like to point out that she really, really likes books, and would never consider getting rid of books
        If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
          Ummm.... this teenager would like to point out that she really, really likes books, and would never consider getting rid of books
          I'd only force some teens to listen to Shawaddy-waddy, honest.

----------------
          Now playing: Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
          via FoxyTunes
          sigpic

Comment

I'd only force some teens to listen to Shawaddy-waddy, honest.

----------------
            Now playing: Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
            via FoxyTunes
            *phew*
            If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
            sigpic

Comment

Actually, my son is not quite a teenager(he's 21) but he has even more books than I do! Even more DVDs too for that matter!
              sigpic

Comment

Thought you gals might enjoy this - my 'interpretation' of what MALP stands for...

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....7&postcount=16

das
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                  Thought you gals might enjoy this - my 'interpretation' of what MALP stands for...

das

sigpic

Comment

----------------
                    via FoxyTunes
                    I admire your courage and patience. If I had worked with kids I would have spent the rest of my life in jail
                    ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

das
                      That´s brilliant.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WraithCat View Post
                        Legolas is still a young boy for me. Haldir is so wonderful inapproachable, serious and arrogant. An elf as they have to be.
                        Except there's that one scene when Haldir is leading the fellowship over a hill and points to Lorien--his nostrils look like you could drive a chariot through them.

wraith wraith wraith wraith

WK

Though I must admit, I had a thing for the actor because of Haldir and started to watch his New Zealand show. Sadly though, he swings to the other side.
                        "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

My Dad read it to me when I was yonger. I cried and ran out the room Cried in the film too Really like Boromir...

Wraith wraithy wraith

I didn't really like Boromir, thought he was a bit of a bum. I like the name though, and loved the actor who played him (Sean Bean)!

wraith wraith wraith wraith

WK
                          Last edited by Wraith Cake; 26 May 2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Wraith Wrule!!! But....

OT: Okay...perhaps this will tempt you to read Elric of Melniboné...the open lines...

"It is the color of a bleached skull, his flesh; and the long hair which flows below his shoulders is milk-white. From the tapering, beautiful head stare two slanting eyes, crimson and moody, and from the loose sleeves of his yellow gown emerge two slender hands, also the color of bone."

Then add to that a good artist...and you get something quite wonderful...

(I'll be posting more Elric pics in the Elric thread under the General Sci Fi and Fantasty forum - http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=66733)

das

Hmmm. I dunno. This reads a bit like a Victorian novel (and I don't really like Victorian novels), where every shade of flatulence is detailed in minute verbiage. Also, this sounds a bit like a lich.

I'm sure there is probably more to this description, but why use the word "skull"... "bleached skull" and "bone", if the narrators wants the reader to find the character "beautiful"--I'd have to read the context. Picture is beautiful though--is that a man?

This would be a neat exercise, how could we here rewrite a passage like this? This would be great!

Oh, BTW I just had another realization about authors being very careful of the names they give their characters. Today, in class we were discussing To Kill A Mocking Bird. and I asked the class, "well who do you think is a Mocking Bird in this novel?". The obvious answers I got were "Tom Robinson" and "Boo Radley" because they have done nothing wrong and yet are persecuted. I then said, well what of "Atticus Finch" he does nothing wrong and is persecuted. The kids thought that was a good idea, then I realized "Atticus Finch" Tom Robinson" Get it? Bird names, like Mocking Bird. I've taught this book for years and just realized this.

WK

wraith wraith wraith.

Comment

das

I'd green you again, but I just did for your siggie so MENTAL GREEN!!
                              sigpic
                              Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Thanks, everyone! Glad you liked my MALP!!!

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
                                Hmmm. I dunno. This reads a bit like a Victorian novel (and I don't really like Victorian novels), where every shade of flatulence is detailed in minute verbiage. Also, this sounds a bit like a lich.

I'm sure there is probably more to this description, but why use the word "skull"... "bleached skull" and "bone", if the narrators wants the reader to find the character "beautiful"--I'd have to read the context. Picture is beautiful though--is that a man?
                                Yes, it's a man, it's Elric. Different artists have different interpretations - I like this one very much.

As far as the writing goes, it is very light and easy...it flows well. Moorcock wrote in the Gothic style, and was influenced by that era. Spoiler for Elric:
                                Spoiler:
                                There is much emphasis on 'death' surrounding Elric's description, because he is doomed, as are those who stand in his way.

This would be a neat exercise, how could we here rewrite a passage like this? This would be great!
                                It does not need to be re-written. It is a perfect description of the man, and sets the mood for what is to come. Moorcock is a well-respected author the world over; Elric has been used as a template for many fantasy characters since, and Moorcock's intricately woven multiverse is mind-boggling. To read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

das

Oh, and Wraith!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X