• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Oh, and LOVE your Boris siggie!
    Thank you.

He's very sexy in that, isn't he??

das
    Comments like that will get the conversation back to pants and leaping out of cakes.
    sigpic

Comment

I look at scenes of over-populated places on earth - the slums and the filth - and I can't help but think how lucky the humans of the Pegasus Galaxy are for being able to live in healthy and clean enviroments. It's not life that is all that important - but QUALITY of life. If there are too many people, there is just no quality of life, and life itself becomes cheap, expendable. Wraith actually allowed humans to have a quality of life that most humans here on earth could only dream of.

das
      Quality of life - whatever meaning we put into this concept - is a thing that can change in a split-second. Especially in our modern world.

I enjoy hearing different opinions, but I must admit that sometime I feel so confused that I don’t know what to say anymore. Don’t you wish your family and friends lived there, in that dream world? I don't think so...
      ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

I'm sure the humans in Pegasus would highly disagree with you for saying that they have a good quality of life. Running for your lives and being in constant fear is not a life I would want to live. I think QOL has to do with the ability to have resources more than population. If there were enough resources, then a population that was high, yet stable, wouldn't be a problem.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh, and LOVE your Boris siggie! He's very sexy in that, isn't he??

das
          With his upsidedown "This way up" tattoo?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
            With the SGA bunch I agree with the cynicism... but there ARE some of us humans who would be willing to WORK with wraith on at least an equal footing for the advancement and betterment of both species... even if that did mean taking our chances every few hundred years during cullings - which would serve to keep the population in check - and hey, we wouldn't be so obssessed with sex all the time if we lived that long, so we could let the hot wraithie guys live in peace...

... yeah, riiiiiiight, who am I trying to kid!!!
            Don’t worry, TP, nothing will happen to our green friends if they devote themselves to old good sex. The problem is that our survival instinct is a very strong thing. We underestimate it simply because we live in peace and well-being, so it is a kind of dormant function. But what if the wraith were real and the problem of interaction between two species was actual? Let’s face it - the most important. We will change our «repertoire» in a moment.

Also I honestly don’t understand when humans talk so easily about keeping the population in check or try to justify it somehow . It’s like a walking on thin ice. You never know what will happen next. Who will be the next catch. What sort of things you will have to do to stay alive. You are playing, gals , this ideology cannot be attained unless you are prepared to sacrifice beings you love.
            ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Originally posted by Fandom Addict View Post
              With his upsidedown "This way up" tattoo?
              This Wraith symbol actually means 'I'm Uber everywhere it counts'.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Solla View Post
                Don’t worry, TP, nothing will happen to our green friends if they devote themselves to old good sex. The problem is that our survival instinct is a very strong thing. We underestimate it simply because we live in peace and well-being, so it is a kind of dormant function. But what if the wraith were real and the problem of interaction between two species was actual? Let’s face it - the most important. We will change our «repertoire» in a moment.

Also I honestly don’t understand when humans talk so easily about keeping the population in check or try to justify it somehow . It’s like a walking on thin ice. You never know what will happen next. Who will be the next catch. What sort of things you will have to do to stay alive. You are playing, gals , this ideology cannot be attained unless you are prepared to sacrifice beings you love.

I can't speak others but I'm well aware that my own survival instinct is very, very strong indeed - which is precisely why I can have sympathy for wraith either as a species or as individuals - because I can appreciate that I would do whatever it takes to stay alive.
                If I was a wraith worshipper in Pegasus and the wraith whose prtotection I was under fed on however many people in order to keep me alive for 4 or 5 times my normal life span, then so be it.
                Yeah, I know that's gonna have some folk throw their hands up in horror, but I did warn you my survival instinct is migthy powerful - probably stems form a problematic family life that left me with no concept of "roots" or connectedness to the human race!

The ONLY person I would even consider giving up my life for is my son, and even then I'd attempt negotiation before just throwing myself onto a wraith feeding hand!
                sigpic
                Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Perhaps this is the case where so-called language differences begin to be evident. In my language this usage has rather offensive nuance. It demeans an animated being to the status of a mere thing, implying that he or she has no value at all. When we refer to animals we always use «he» or «she» as the pronoun for them, no matter what kind of animals we deal with - our pets, wild animals or stray dogs. Therefore the reference to a Wraith as an "it" only intensifies my righteous indignation on heartless Lanteans .
                  I notice as you do that if you want to make a society or a person worthless then you make derogatory comments.

OK I'm being very simplistic here:-

Collins New English Dictionary 1982:- It refers to a nonhuman, animal, plant, or inanimate thing.

New Gresham Dictionary 1926:- It is a pronoun of the neuter gender corresponding with he and she.

To me It means neither a he or a she, a nothing. So in making the Wraith seem nothing there not worth of being considered as a sentinel being and worthy of respect. So humans can shoot to kill and that it doesn't matter or should feel regret for the killing.

Or as a farming friend said about chickens MCH you have females Hens, the males Cockerels and finally Capons. A Capon MCH is a sexless chicken and I call a Capon an It.
                  He finished by saying and very tasty Capons are too....

MCH
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
                    With the SGA bunch I agree with the cynicism... but there ARE some of us humans who would be willing to WORK with wraith on at least an equal footing for the advancement and betterment of both species... even if that did mean taking our chances every few hundred years during cullings - which would serve to keep the population in check - and hey, we wouldn't be so obssessed with sex all the time if we lived that long, so we could let the hot wraithie guys live in peace...

... yeah, riiiiiiight, who am I trying to kid!!!

who are you trying to kid? Not us that for sure.

Hum talking of Wraith and Humans being on equal footing, most Wraith (at least I don't recall hearing) calling a human by their name. Exception to that rule was Todd and Shepherd. To a Wraith calling us human seems more like calling us an IT. If they did name a human the name was said as it the Wraith had a bad taste in their mouth. hich as most of em see us as food is hardly surprising.

MCH
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                      Thank you! I'm so happy I can make people laugh with my work.

I don't know if you know this update yet: It's page 13
                      http://draco-stellaris.deviantart.co...ge13-114882963

Funny though that I didn't intend to become a Wraith thunker. It actually took quite some time for me to get used to them. But you know the story:
                      Common Ground, Todd came along and - BOOM. That's how you get your classic Wraith thunker.
                      I must however give Steve credits for bringing their beauty to my eyes for the first time. You know that scene in Suspicion when he fights against Teyla and his Hair and coat swirl around in that dramatic way? And I was really upset by the way he was treated by the Lanteans even before I was a thunker.
                      Page 13 me went, me read, me like lots, me left comment for you. Thank you.

MCH
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post

Hum talking of Wraith and Humans being on equal footing, most Wraith (at least I don't recall hearing) calling a human by their name. Exception to that rule was Todd and Shepherd. To a Wraith calling us human seems more like calling us an IT. If they did name a human the name was said as it the Wraith had a bad taste in their mouth. hich as most of em see us as food is hardly surprising.

MCH
                        I dunno, I call my food gorgeous or beautiful (especially if it's cake )

Comment

MCH
                          I understand where you're coming from with this one, but I think it could be different depending on how the relationship might develop - I wrote a fic about Steve (click on the link below siggie - called All In The MInd?) where to start off with him calling her "human" is an insult, like calling her "it".
                          But, as they get closer, his use of the term starts to alter and him calling her "human" starts to become an affectionate pet name, like "honey" or "darling". It's all in the nuances in tone and inflexion. btw she calls him "wraith" in the same way and her use of the word alters in the same way too
                          sigpic

Comment

Humans to me are always walking on morally thin ice, I include me in that.
                            I think that most of us when push comes to shove have the portential to make questionable decisions that have to do with our survival.
                            We have the capacity to be able to rationalise most of our questionable decisions.
                            If a group follows a leaders quesionable decision then you have agreement and that leads you to untimately the genocide of a people. You don't have to look far into past history to see what can happen.
                            It is easy to sacrifice others you don't know but human beings can rationalise even the sacrifice of one you love to protect youself otherwise you may go mad.

The thing that makes me cross about SGA is that you never see any character talk about the above.
                            Ronan you see his home planet being attacked and decinmated by the Wraith as an explanation as to why he wants revenge. that's understandable at least he is honest as to why he wants to kill the Wraith even if you don't agree with him.
                            Carson I think I see eventually some regret about what happened, with Michael, but the way the writer wrote it is feels forced to me.
                            Keller the weakness of her character is the writing, but she did at least talk to Tod about the retrovirus and he was able to express what he felt and Keller listened.
                            Shepherd express great regret for those of team Atlantis who are killed. But for Todd Shepherd shows hardly any regret as to the suffuring Todd endured, the lose of his hive and Queen.

MCH
                            Last edited by MCH; 09 March 2009, 12:15 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Humans to me are always walking on morally thin ice, I include me in that.
                              I think that most of us when push comes to shove have the portential to make questionable decisions that have to do with our survival.
                              We have the capacity to be able to rationalise most of our questionable decisions.
                              If a group follows a leaders quesionable decision then you have agreement and that leads you to untimately the genocide of a people. You don't have to look far into past history to see what can happen.
                              It is easy to sacrifice others you don't know but human beings can rationalise even the sacrifice of one you love to protect youself otherwise you may go mad.

MCH

That's more or less what I was trying to say when I confessed that I know I would do whatever it takes to stay alive.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                                Thank you! I'm so happy I can make people laugh with my work.
                                I'm not sure about the publishing though. The copyright issues would be hell I suppose.

I don't know if you know this update yet: It's page 13
                                http://draco-stellaris.deviantart.co...ge13-114882963

Funny though that I didn't intend to become a Wraith thunker. It actually took quite some time for me to get used to them. But you know the story:
                                Common Ground, Todd came along and - BOOM. That's how you get your classic Wraith thunker.
                                I must however give Steve credits for bringing their beauty to my eyes for the first time. You know that scene in Suspicion when he fights against Teyla and his Hair and coat swirl around in that dramatic way? And I was really upset by the way he was treated by the Lanteans even before I was a thunker.
                                That was great - I went and read p12 as well, poor Castor - he just gotta try doesn't he!
                                I came, I saw, I conquered!
                                sigpic
                                We are unique! Created unique!
                                Sevenofnine

Comment

Working...
                                X