Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they smell bad after eating garlic?

Comment

Are their socks stinky after they've worn them for a bit?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        That's a question I've asked myself several times! Do they sweat at all?

I mean Todd has been staying in that Genii prison for years. Did he stink after all that time without being able to wash? Or shave! What about his beard? Shouldn't he have grown much more hair?

No offense, Todd. I still love you even if you would stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
          Sweating helps to regulate body temperature. I couldn't resist looking up information on how some non human animals sweat

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...t_small/117220

Dogs, cats and mice have sweat glands on their feet.

If Wraith only have sweat glands on their hands and feet their socks are going to be vile.

I mean Todd has been staying in that Genii prison for years. Did he stink after all that time without being able to wash? Or shave! What about his beard? Shouldn't he have grown much more hair?
          I've asked myself the same questions about Steve even though he was only in the Atlantis cell for around two weeks.

Sheppard probably didn't smell so good after being in the Genii prison either. He probably wouldn't have noticed if Todd had a ripe aroma so it's no good asking him.

PS: I asked myself the question "What is ear wax for?" and found this wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax#Function

Ear wax is for cleaning and lubrication purposes. Wraith ears look very human from the exterior so it's likely they are similar internally as well. If so, they probably have something like ear wax.
          Last edited by ciannwn; 03 February 2009, 02:41 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Sweating helps to regulate body temperature. I couldn't resist looking up information on how some non human animals sweat

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...t_small/117220

Dogs, cats and mice have sweat glands on their feet.

If Wraith only have sweat glands on their hands and feet their socks are going to be vile.
            Eeeeeeuwwwww! So glad the drones have to do the washing!

What does a Wraith smell like anyway? I mean a clean and groomed one.

Comment

Eeeeeeuwwwww! So glad the drones have to do the washing!

All yummy and gingery!!!!!
              *strokes a beautifully scrubbed up Greg*
              He just loves my ginger shower gel !
              sigpic
              Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Eeeeeeuwwwww!
                I found this in the 'Conversion' transcript.

Ronon is using his tracking skills in order to determine whether the cave has Iratus bugs in it.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/208.shtml

Dex is kneeling closest to the cave mouth, examining the dirt there.

Dex brings some very bright orange dirt to his nose

and

DEX: They're in there.

McKAY: And you had to pick it up and smell it to figure that out?

[Dex turns and gives McKay a look.]

DEX: To know it's recent.

Michael says that Iratus bugs absorb human DNA when they feed - this means that they must take in something physical. The DNA is then filtered out of bug systems. Is that was the orange dirt was all about?

Wraith have to take in something physical when they feed too otherwise the Hoffian drug couldn't get into their systems and kill them.

Maybe we should just

from this line of speculation now.
                sigpic

Comment

I found this in the 'Conversion' transcript.

Ronon is using his tracking skills in order to determine whether the cave has Iratus bugs in it.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/208.shtml

Dex is kneeling closest to the cave mouth, examining the dirt there.

Dex brings some very bright orange dirt to his nose

and

DEX: They're in there.

McKAY: And you had to pick it up and smell it to figure that out?

[Dex turns and gives McKay a look.]

DEX: To know it's recent.

Michael says that Iratus bugs absorb human DNA when they feed - this means that they must take in something physical. The DNA is then filtered out of bug systems. Is that was the orange dirt was all about?

Wraith have to take in something physical when they feed too otherwise the Hoffian drug couldn't get into their systems and kill them.

Maybe we should just

Which simply proves that Wraith DO fart! Who cares? I still love 'em !
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
                    Are they bright orange farts?
                    sigpic

Comment

They been taking too many of those fat blocker pills??? No, just don;t go there...
                      sigpic

Comment

They been taking too many of those fat blocker pills??? No, just don;t go there...
                        I'll take your advice here.

So now they fart and have stinky socks and ear wax. Where have our rose tinted spectacles gone?
                        sigpic

Comment

Do they have ear wax? Do their noses ever run when they're out in very cold weather?
                          Yes on the ear wax - even my cats get ear wax.

Every now and then Todd's sensory pits look...moist. I'm thinking runny noses and all are commonplace. I mean, we had Drooling Shawn, so why not Snotty Todd?

Do they smell bad after eating garlic?
                          Question is, do they smell like garlic after feeding on an Italian?

Most definitely! Even if they don't wear socks, they have their feet bound up in those leather boots all the time - they don't even take them off to hibernate, or sleep! These guys are more modest than 14th century nuns!

No offense, Todd. I still love you even if you would stink.
                          Yes, we would love Todd, stink and all!

I do think they sweat. I'm still not sure what the sheen is on their skin - is that 'sweat', or just their shiny skin (like a snake that looks moist, but is not)? If it's sweat, then I guess they are just like us...with the main sweaty bits being the face, armpits, feet, and...ya know...crotch...

Now...do they stink when dirty? I suspect, yes. I mean - dirty is dirty and dirty always stink. Wraith funk is probably quite unpleasant. (To me, there is a difference between 'BO' - the smelly armpit odor after a hard day's work, and 'funk' - the smell a body takes on when it hasn't been washed for weeks - BO is not offensive to me, funk IS.)

So, I'm guessing that Todd was pretty stinky in that prison...probably smelled like bad cheese.

As far as facial hair, I suspect that each Wraith grows only a specific style, and amount. They are relatively hairless, so whatever sprouts on one's lip or chin is all the hair they will ever grow on their face, and those without hair probably never grew any in the first place. Dave (Outsiders) was about the hairiest with his muttonchops...but I don't think all Wraith grow hair like that. Whatever they grow is then groomed according to its natural style. Steve grew a soul patch and side whiskers, and he groomed them accordingly. Todd only grows chin hair, and he keeps it snipped short (he could find ways of doing this in prison).

I also suspect something like certain reptiles who give off a musky-type smell...or - as I suggested elsewhere - like a black rat snake that gives off a sulphur-like scent (we have them in the office sometimes - they smell just like a freshly-struck match). I think they would have a distinctive odor according to their kind - faint, not over-powering - but I also think that they may scent their bodies (if they do, I would suspect they would use very natural scents - something that would allow them to blend in with the aromas around them, especially on the hunt - like...pine...). And they all must certainly smell a bit like leather...and whatever they use to tan their leather with.

All yummy and gingery!!!!!
                          *strokes a beautifully scrubbed up Greg*
                          He just loves my ginger shower gel !
                          Careful...you just may end up eating HIM!

I found this in the 'Conversion' transcript. *snip*

Maybe we should just

Where's the fun in that!

Since Wraith seem to have an external digestive process like spiders, I suspect their waste may look much like spider poo - little black and white specks all over the floor of the hive...

Exactly!!

MIght explain that orange glow in the hive...

Either that, or feeding on too many carrot farmers...

das
                          Last edited by dasNdanger; 03 February 2009, 05:58 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Das, you have been over doing the medication!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!
                            Last edited by Todd's Pet; 03 February 2009, 06:21 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'll take your advice here.

So now they fart and have stinky socks and ear wax. Where have our rose tinted spectacles gone?
                              Don't need 'em, Ciannwn! Doesn't matter how bad they get they can never be as icky as human males!!!
                              Besides, if Todd & co get really stinky it's just a good excuse to grab 'em and get 'em into a bath or shower!!!

Edit: Looks like WDC is turning into a thunk thread here
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                                I mean, we had Drooling Shawn, so why not Snotty Todd?
                                So now he's Snotty Todd, the 10,000 year old virgin.

Question is, do they smell like garlic after feeding on an Italian?
                                Hmm, that raises other awful possibilities. If they smell like whatever their food ate there could be aromas like stale cabbage and curry etc. as well as garlic floating around hive ships.

Even if they don't wear socks, they have their feet bound up in those leather boots all the time - they don't even take them off to hibernate, or sleep! These guys are more modest than 14th century nuns!
                                Maybe Wraith social etiquette includes never taking one's boots off in public because it results in everyone nearby keeling over.

Spoiler:
                                Todd was made to change into Earth clothes in case he had any weapons concealed on him. I bet Sheppard didn't consider the possibility that he had a secret weapon concealed in his boots - his feet.

I do think they sweat. I'm still not sure what the sheen is on their skin - is that 'sweat', or just their shiny skin (like a snake that looks moist, but is not)? If it's sweat, then I guess they are just like us...with the main sweaty bits being the face, armpits, feet, and...ya know...crotch...
                                It would make biological sense for them to sweat.

Now...do they stink when dirty? I suspect, yes. I mean - dirty is dirty and dirty always stink. Wraith funk is probably quite unpleasant. (To me, there is a difference between 'BO' - the smelly armpit odor after a hard day's work, and 'funk' - the smell a body takes on when it hasn't been washed for weeks - BO is not offensive to me, funk IS.)
                                Let's be scientific about this.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/hilaryjon.../bodyodour.htm

Sweat itself does not smell, but it is a wonderful culture for the bacteria that live on our skin. The bacteria breaks down sweat into aromatic fatty acids, which produce the unpleasant odour.

I can't see bacteria being so overawed by Wraith that they wouldn't dare to live on their skin. I'm guessing this means that Wraith could have embarrassing body odour if they don't wash and use deodorants.

So, I'm guessing that Todd was pretty stinky in that prison...probably smelled like bad cheese.
                                So he was Snotty Stinky Todd at this time in his life.

As far as facial hair, I suspect that each Wraith grows only a specific style, and amount. They are relatively hairless, so whatever sprouts on one's lip or chin is all the hair they will ever grow on their face, and those without hair probably never grew any in the first place. Dave (Outsiders) was about the hairiest with his muttonchops...but I don't think all Wraith grow hair like that. Whatever they grow is then groomed according to its natural style. Steve grew a soul patch and side whiskers, and he groomed them accordingly.
                                That makes sense to me.

Todd only grows chin hair, and he keeps it snipped short (he could find ways of doing this in prison).
                                Maybe he chewed the ends off when it got too long.

I think they would have a distinctive odor according to their kind - faint, not over-powering -
                                I'm guessing that they smell like Iratus bugs to Iratus bugs because of what we learned in 'Conversion'. The question now, is, what do Iratus bugs smell like?

but I also think that they may scent their bodies (if they do, I would suspect they would use very natural scents - something that would allow them to blend in with the aromas around them, especially on the hunt - like...pine...).
                                Hopefully, they'd like natural aromas which appeal to humans. When I had dogs, one of them loved to roll on carpets when they'd been sprinkled with carpet freshener so he ended up with a nice floral scent. His brother used to adore rolling in fox dung.

And they all must certainly smell a bit like leather...and whatever they use to tan their leather with.
                                Is it really leather, though, or something organic which is grown?

Since Wraith seem to have an external digestive process like spiders, I suspect their waste may look much like spider poo - little black and white specks all over the floor of the hive...
                                Does that mean floor cleaning is one of a worshippers' duties on board a hive?
                                Last edited by ciannwn; 03 February 2009, 07:05 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X