This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard - the descended

Hi all, I'm new. I was wondering what ya'll think about my idea that Sheppard could be a descended Ancient, similar Orlin who become mortal again, choosing to become a child so he could hold on longer to his ascended knowledge. But once that knowledge was spent he no longer had any memory of who he truly was, or of his people. In every way he seemed like an ordinary human child by the end.

I think John may be just like this guy. Here's my reasons why...

1. John Sheppard was the only one in the series premiere who we didn't see say good-bye to anyone. Weir said good-bye to her boyfriend, McKay to his neighbor, Beckett to his mom, Ford to his grandparents. We just saw John flip a coin - probably trying to decide whether to accept the mission or not.

Now that alone isn't enough to suggest he's a descended Ancient. After all, McKay and Weir didn't say good-bye to family members.

So on to the next point...

2. John Sheppard naturally possesses the Ancient gene and is able to control Ancient technology unlike anyone else. I'm willing to bet he's more of a natural at it than even Jack O'Neill who seems to have to concentrate a bit more than John.

Furthermore...

3. In the episode in seaosn 1 where they met a female Ancient on a planet who visited Atlantis with them before she had to go back to protect the people on her planet - she made a comment to John indicating that he was more Ancient than he knew, or something to that effect.

So in conclusion...

It's possible that John Sheppard was once an Ancient. For whatever reason, he became mortal again, either by his own choosing or was forced by the others. If he was like Oma Desala and crossed the line too many times, it's possible that they forced him out.

However, that doesn't explain why they would have wiped his memory and chances are, he was a child and we have no record of them ever forcing one of their own to become mortal again and to become a child. We actually have no record of them forcing any of their own to become mortal again. Daniel wasn't one of their own. As we see with the Ancient they met on that planet, they punished her by making her protect that one planet.

It's possible then that John Sheppard as an Ancient saw a reason to become mortal, like the guy a couple episodes back. He chose then to take on the form of a child to retain his ascended knowledge longer. Though any reason escapes me as it would have likely been the 1970's when he did this.

So motivation is unknown, but everything else seems to point to the possibility that he is a descended Ancient who took human form to retain his knowledge until he completely forgot who he was. Or that he was punished by the other Ancients who wiped his memory clean.

So John would have no parents, he probably grew up in children's homes and foster homes. He probably joined the Air Force as an escape but probably having had no loving and nurturing parents growing up, he was a bit of a rebel. Either that or his Ancient personality was shining through and he was unaware of it.

Another thought which may seem even more far-fetched is that he is the son of at least one Ancient. That seems a bit more strange to me.

You know...I have sometimes thought pretty much the same thing. And since there is such a "mystery" about him...who knows.

Comment

He's had countless MRI scans and whatnot. The Ancient brains worked differently from hours. They used a much larger percentage of their brains, something that John Sheppard, bless his hot ass, does not.

Comment

A) They can easily have regressed his brain. That's what happened to Orlin, he had a normal human brain which was being damaged because he tried to make as much use out of it as he did out of his old Ancient brain.

B) This is a really great idea, wish I had thought of it.

Comment

Bumpzilla.

Comment

Hmmm... I've read that his father was a top notch officer or something along those lines... plus he has a portrait in his nightstand at his Atlantis bedroom.
            Maybe he was adopted??

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtrish
              Hmmm... I've read that his father was a top notch officer or something along those lines... plus he has a portrait in his nightstand at his Atlantis bedroom.
              Maybe he was adopted??
              I've not read or heard anything about his father. Was this from an official source? I've also not noticed a picture on his nightstand. But it could be an adopted father.

However, in "Letters from Pegasus" when he comes back to Atlantis Dr. Weir asks him about recording his own personal message and he says, "No, I'm good." She then asks him to record a message for Col. Simmons family and when he records it he says that he doesn't know if Col. Simmons has any family, "not all of us do." Which since he said "not all of us," that would indicate that he himself has no family back home.

When he returned to the planet to talk to Shia, she told John that they were not as different as he thought then said she'd show him and then half ascended around him, to which he replied, "This is cool."

Which I suppose it could have been innocent enough, that the only thing she was implying was that before she was ascended she was much like humans are today and humans today do possess the ability to ascend. But it gets me that she said this to John who seems to have the Ancient gene more than anyone else does naturally and naturally can use the technology far better than anyone else.

Comment

"Cobra, Apache, Sea King, Black Hawk, Osprey, Sea Harrier — you name it, he's flown it. The son of a respected Cold War colonel, Shepherd, while on duty in Afghanistan, disobeyed a direct order in an attempt to save the lives of three servicemen." - From http://sg1-atlantis.com

It's Colonel Sumner, not Simmons. And I don't know who is Shia... what episode are you talking about?

The picture in his nightstand can be seen in Conversion... this one http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s2/2...rsion2489.html

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtrish
                  And I don't know who is Shia... what episode are you talking about?
                  Think they were reffering to Chaya in sanctuary

Can nobodies be somebodies?
                  My Livejournal
                  Lemming #63!

Comment

I really like this idea. I never thought about it this way before but it really does have me intruiged now. Good theory

Can nobodies be somebodies?
                    My Livejournal
                    Lemming #63!

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas
                      A) They can easily have regressed his brain. That's what happened to Orlin, he had a normal human brain which was being damaged because he tried to make as much use out of it as he did out of his old Ancient brain.

B) This is a really great idea, wish I had thought of it.
                      I don't really remember much of The Fourth Horsepart prt 1. Did they say that he was human? After all, not even Ancient brains should be able to hold the MASSIVE amount of info that's the secret to the Universe (well, the Ori and their defeat).

Comment

Originally posted by Central Gal

2. John Sheppard naturally possesses the Ancient gene and is able to control Ancient technology unlike anyone else. I'm willing to bet he's more of a natural at it than even Jack O'Neill who seems to have to concentrate a bit more than John.

Furthermore...

3. In the episode in seaosn 1 where they met a female Ancient on a planet who visited Atlantis with them before she had to go back to protect the people on her planet - she made a comment to John indicating that he was more Ancient than he knew, or something to that effect.

So in conclusion...

It's possible that John Sheppard was once an Ancient. For whatever reason, he became mortal again, either by his own choosing or was forced by the others. If he was like Oma Desala and crossed the line too many times, it's possible that they forced him out.
                        This is some real original thinking and I like it. He does seem to be
                        running into/hooking up with female ancients a lot doesn't he. hmmmm
                        I missed the comment about him being more ancient than he
                        knew. *must go back to those dvd's and take notes*

Does any of the knowleged people on this forum know if
                        any ancients descended into human form forget they are
                        ancients. All the ones I've seen so far remember. Except
                        for that little boy, who basically over-taxed his brain.
                        WraithyPuff

Feel like slackin', read some fan fic.
                        "It's actually safe to create a universe in your basement."
                        Alan Guth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, On M Theory

Comment

Correction: Descend back into ANCIENT form ¬_¬'. Why would they choose to be Human if we are inferior?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                            Correction: Descend back into ANCIENT form ¬_¬'. Why would they choose to be Human if we are inferior?
                            Descended Orlin referred to himself as human.
                            Ancient brains must be able to store all that knowledge for them to have amassed it as mortals in the first place.
                            He would chosen to be human because the Ancients wouldn't allow it else, I imagine.

Comment

Chaya, I wasn't sure how to spell it. Yes, in the episode, "Sanctuary," she told Sheppard at the end that they were not as different as he thought, or more alike than he realized, something like that. Which she then shared with him by becoming half ascended around him. That's the best description I have for it because you can still see their upper bodies but their lower bodies and all around them is the bright ascended light.

From what I understand Ancients before they ascended were human, just more advanced. According to the Stargate universe, it's what mankind will one day become. As the Asgard told Jack when he first met them, they didn't know that human brains had advanced as far as they had. I wonder what they would find if they had a chance to examine John's brain.

They keep referring to the Ancients as the first evolution of our kind. Although I'm not sure if they're accurate on that now that we know they didn't originate in our galaxy. However, aside from their higher brain ability, they seem pretty much human like us.

Orlin took his pre-ascended form, first as an adult and then later as a child. Once he lost his Ancient brain power, he was as human as anyone. Though I'm not sure if that means he doesn't still possess the Ancient powers such as healing, the brain damage could simply be memory related and he is unaware of the powers he's capable of.

Because if that's so, it would explain Sheppard. Though descended, he still possesses the ability to operate Ancient technology.

As for Sheppard's dad, there's no reason why John couldn't have been adopted, or that perhaps his father wasn't who he claimed to be. That also says nothing about Sheppard's mother. Another idea could be that his mother was an Ancient, who fell in love with a mortal and chose to descend to be with the man she'd fallen in love with.

Which maybe it's an even more quirky idea. But Orlin was punished to guard a planet. Chaya was punished to guard a planet. Wouldn't it stand to reason that of all the planets for an Ancient to go against the others to use their powers to protect, wouldn't at least one go against the group to try and protect the people of Earth which by far holds more people than any other planet in the universe?

Ra left Earth after an uprising occurred - why did he never return when we know it's the Goa'uld way to destroy a world that rebels? Why leave earth alone when it goes against what the Goa'uld are? Is it possible that Ra did return and in greater numbers and an Ancient chose to stand in the way and use their powers to protect earth? And then because of them using their power, the other Ancients punished them that they would have to spend eternity protecting earth?

Chaya said she got lonely protecting her planet. I would imagine an Ancient protecting earth would get lonely after awhile too. So at some point he or she might have found a person on earth with whom they fell in love with and chose to forsake ascension to become mortal again. That person could then have ended up being Sheppard's mom or dad.

This would explain why the Goa'uld never returned to destroy earth - because an Ancient chose to protect it and then on for centuries. And then explain why the Ori are just recently able to affect the world because that Ancient is no longer protecting the planet.

Just some food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X