Rachel Luttrell/Teyla Emmagan WOW Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hope24 View Post
    Linda, yeah it would have been really nice to have better quality pics. I am still glad you posted the caps.

I made my first banner from the caps.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/Hope2407/th_RachelOnlyYouBanner.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/Hope2407/th_RachelOnlyYouBanner2.jpg
    Originally posted by Rgn View Post
    your welcome

oops more pic spam
    ooh look I found the second one
    here
    the first one was made by SueKay
    Hope and Rgn, keep up the good work. I'm loving the Rachel/Teyla banners, pics, caps, etc.. Please keep them coming.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
    I see how that would suck. The Rogue I know was in her Twenties, the original cartoon, not the ridiculous remake when they were Teenagers And Storm was my very favourite X-man, or woman So you can imagine I was a little disappointed with the X-Men movies.
    I didn't mind the first and second X-Men movies - no, they weren't great, but I found them tolerable. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the 3rd movie. The only way I can watch it is if I tell myself that it's an AU version. Although I enjoyed several scenes, I hate where that movie left the X-Men. I don't know what went on behind the scenes of that movie, but it felt like it was written by someone who knew that he would never write another X-Men team-based movie, so he didn't give a ****e about what he did with the characters.

Sometimes I hate being so right Teyla got her token ep of the season. That's all they cared about. They could do what they were good at and virtually ignore her for the rest of the season.
    What's worse is how obvious this became as the seasons went on. By the time of The Queen, we knew that nothing would come of a token Teyla episode that would result in more development for her later. Based on the past, we knew that if there was to be any follow-up on her one token episode per season that it would involve other characters and sure enough that's what happened with The Queen. Sad.

I'm going to buy the SGA blu-ray edition because I don't have any of the DVDs and because I would love to see this latest SGA item sell well, but Season 5 will never get a full back-to-back viewing from me. I'll only watch the handful of Season 5 episodes that I could enjoy and try to forget that the others ever existed.

Not really. I use Nero Showtime, I watch it on there and just keep my finger on Alt and press c ever couple secs and that's it done.
    Cool, that sounds easy and painless.

Maxbo, you and Linda touch on what I found most disappointing with the writers. Looking back, I have to wonder how much details went into mapping out the different storylines in the season and the continuing story arcs for the characters. We certainly had one central theme involving the Wraith. But, when it came to continuing character's storylines or arcs, most of the characters suffered from TPTW lack of follow through or up and sadly Teyla was at the head of the group.
    Yeah, the writers' lack of attention to detail is the most disappointing thing about them for me too. This is the first time I've ever been a part of a fandom where the writers and creators seemed to have put less thought into their characters than the fans. As a result, I don't find myself eagerly anticipating hearing their thoughts about how they came up with characters, settings and storylines. Because, based on what I read from them in the past, they didn't put much thought into those things.

In contrast, when I read the background info for other sci-fi/fantasy shows, I always came away with a new appreciation for what made it to the screen because those writers/creators did what most good, engaged creatives do, they created more storyline and background than could ever make it to the screen. Why? Because developing a rich background for characters and a series is the best way to keep characters and storylines fresh.

There is still so much we don't know about Teyla, her family, the importance of Torren to Michael's plans, etc. Where was Teyla's ability to sense the Wraith in The Outsiders. And as Linda stated, it would have been nice to know what Teyla thought about being a Wraith Queen in The Queen. From the last scene with Teyla in the Infirmary, she seems to have some issues. And then not to have a follow up storyline for the events in The Queen, no further interaction with Teyla and Todd. Truly wasted potential.

There are at least 6 or 7 episodes in season 5 (The season I'm most disappointed in.) I wouldn't mind a complete or partial rewrite and there are a couple more I left off that I could easily add.
    The writers' lack of follow-up is a prime reason why the writing was so disappointing and I still find them strangely out of touch to not realize this. Sure, SGA had respectable numbers at the end - numbers that were going up even, but I believe that SGA's numbers could have been much higher if only it had writers who weren't so lazy and burned out. Just think about it, the numbers were increasing for a show that was in its 5th season.

IMO, that means that there was a bigger audience for SGA that was just sitting on the sidelines waiting for the show to get back on track. For a brief moment it did look like SGA was getting back on track because, IMO, Season 5's numbers increase was a combination of viewers being satisfied that Season 4 seemed to have some direction with the Replicator and Wraith storylines and because the writers seemed to attempt to fix some of the mistakes made earlier - like killing Carson and doing who knows what with Elizabeth. In addition, the Season 5 opener was the best season opener that I had seen in a while.

So, just imagine the disappointment after watching Season 5 in its entirety.

Although I would have loved to have gotten a 6th Season, I have to admit that I would have been concerned about how it would have been received, based on the wide-spread disappointment with Season 5. Viewers just kept hoping it would get better and just kept getting disappointed. Sadly, with the same old writers on board for Season 6, it probably wouldn't have done as well, so I still have conflicting feelings about SGA's cancellation. On the one hand, I wish SGA had continued beyond S5, on the other hand, with the same burned out group of writers, I'm relieved that they were stopped before they could inflict more damage on the characters and the series.
    Last edited by maxbo; 02 May 2011, 05:29 AM.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post

What's worse is how obvious this became as the seasons went on. By the time of The Queen, we knew that nothing would come of a token Teyla episode that would result in more development for her later. Based on the past, we knew that if there was to be any follow-up on her one token episode per season that it would involve other characters and sure enough that's what happened with The Queen. Sad.
      Unfortunately many of the storylines were left hanging. If your name wasn't McKay then the writers really weren't interested.

The writers' lack of follow-up is a prime reason why the writing was so disappointing and I still find them strangely out of touch to not realize this. Sure, SGA had respectable numbers at the end - numbers that were going up even, but I believe that SGA's numbers could have been much higher if only it had writers who weren't so lazy and burned out. Just think about it, the numbers were increasing for a show that was in its 5th season.
      If they had given as much time and attention to all the characters as they gave to McKay I think the numbers would have been a lot higher. I know of a lot of Teyla fans who stopped watching because the show became the McKay/Sheppard show and then the McKay/Keller show.

IMO, that means that there was a bigger audience for SGA that was just sitting on the sidelines waiting for the show to get back on track. For a brief moment it did look like SGA was getting back on track because
      Yup it did. Season 5 started out amazing and it just showed how good the show could be when they actually wrote for all the characters, but it was always temporary and they soon fell into their old ways. They concentrated on Rodney because they identified with him the most and most of the writers seemed to live through his character.

Although I would have loved to have gotten a 6th Season, I have to admit that I would have been concerned about how it would have been received, based on the wide-spread disappointment with Season 5. Viewers just kept hoping it would get better and just kept getting disappointed. Sadly, with the same old writers on board for Season 6, it probably wouldn't have done as well, so I still have conflicting feelings about SGA's cancellation. On the one hand, I wish SGA had continued beyond S5, on the other hand, with the same burned out group of writers, I'm relieved that they were stopped before they could inflict more damage on the characters and the series.
      I feel the same, but yet on the other hand would still have liked to have seen them attempt to put things right. But unfortunately that probably wouldn't have happened with the same bunch of writers, as they seem incapable of admitting they did anything wrong. My issues were not even with the changes they made, but how they executed them. I didn't mind them wanting to shake things up and I enjoyed some of the storylines in seasons 4/5, but I didn't like how haphazzardly they handled them and how so many of them were left unfinished and the characters butchered in the process. It was like they didn't even really know their own characters..
      sigpic

Comment

I'm going to buy the SGA blu-ray edition...
        Teyla in HD - that can't be bad.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I didn't mind the first and second X-Men movies - no, they weren't great, but I found them tolerable. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the 3rd movie. The only way I can watch it is if I tell myself that it's an AU version. Although I enjoyed several scenes, I hate where that movie left the X-Men. I don't know what went on behind the scenes of that movie, but it felt like it was written by someone who knew that he would never write another X-Men team-based movie, so he didn't give a ****e about what he did with the characters.
          The first one was ok, but I was still a little disappointed at the lack of Storm in it, the second one was so-so. And well the third one was just....I don't even know what that one was. I watched it once, and that was enough. I didn't even buy the third one. I'd like to see them doing a complete reset with the movies and actually making them great this time IMO they seemed to have too much focus on Wolverine and not enough on anyone else, apart from maybe Rogue.. It doesn't matter how hot the actor is or how great the character is, it still bugs me when there's too much focus on one character to the detriment of the others.

You know what the really sad thing is? At this point I was still living in hope that we'd get more of this storyline for Teyla I really should have realised what would happen after season 4 and the "Teyla arc" I can be a bit slow at times

I'm going to buy the SGA blu-ray edition because I don't have any of the DVDs and because I would love to see this latest SGA item sell well, but Season 5 will never get a full back-to-back viewing from me. I'll only watch the handful of Season 5 episodes that I could enjoy and try to forget that the others ever existed.
          Oh poor you.......I mean, YAY TBH I won't waste any more money on SGA, I have finally managed to move on, I think what helped was the fact that the charcters I loved most were not really main characters. Teyla, Carson, Lorne. They weren't really in it that much so it was easier to move on. It'd be harder if you were a fan of Shep or McKay seeing as they were the main, main characters. McKay the lead, Shep the sidekick

I'm actually trying to sell my SGA DVD's but no one wants to buy them

Cool, that sounds easy and painless.
          Yep it's so easy it's frightening

I can honestly say now that if there were a season 6 I wouldn't have tuned in to watch it, even if Teyla was still there. After the complete mess of season 5 all hope was lost for SGA that by the end of season 5 I was actually glad they put it out of it's misery. I think Stargate needs a long break now, just like what Star Trek had.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Unless Rodney is also in the scene *shudders*
          sigpic

Comment

Unless Rodney is also in the scene *shudders*
            Honestly - I came downstairs saturday morning and my sister was watching the Syfy channel and Brainstorm was on... and I just didn't care that it was BS. I just flopped down on the couch and watched it like it was nothing special (like it never really was but still).

Comment

Honestly - I came downstairs saturday morning and my sister was watching the Syfy channel and Brainstorm was on... and I just didn't care that it was BS. I just flopped down on the couch and watched it like it was nothing special (like it never really was but still).
              Yeah I know what you mean, SGA doesn't really bother me any more cause I moved onto other better shows that it seems so insignificant now. I just flick past it when I'm channel hopping and it's on *shrugs* And TBH I like to think Rachel is better off away from SGA and the way she was treated. Now she can do her own thing...Like record songs
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean, SGA doesn't really bother me any more cause I moved onto other better shows that it seems so insignificant now. I just flick past it when I'm channel hopping and it's on *shrugs* And TBH I like to think Rachel is better off away from SGA and the way she was treated. Now she can do her own thing...Like record songs
                Personally, I'd rather she would be on my screen more... cause I can't buy those songs anyway.

Comment

Personally, I'd rather she would be on my screen more... cause I can't buy those songs anyway.
                  I'd like to see her on the screen again, but on a show where she is respected and treated properly
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                    Unfortunately many of the storylines were left hanging. If your name wasn't McKay then the writers really weren't interested.

If they had given as much time and attention to all the characters as they gave to McKay I think the numbers would have been a lot higher. I know of a lot of Teyla fans who stopped watching because the show became the McKay/Sheppard show and then the McKay/Keller show.
                    Yeah, sad, but true and despite complaints of too much focus on McKay from as far back as Season 2, TPTW refused to change this. Like you, I also heard about a lot of Teyla fans who gave up on the show because she got so little focus. It's amazing, isn't it? You, me and so many others can make the correlation between too much focus on just one or two characters and lower ratings, but they couldn't. It was almost as if they were satisfied with only getting high enough ratings to stay on the air, but were not interested in trying the get the best ratings possible for the show if it meant moving out of their comfort zone.

Speaking of too much of the McKay/Sheppard show, in addition to ticking off fans of the non-McKay/Sheppard characters, I also noticed there was quite a bit of criticism among fans of those characters because they didn't like the repetitive writing for them. So, TPTW managed to piss off McKay/Sheppard fans and non-fans alike.

For instance, during the Season 2 there used to be a fair bit of discussion in the John Sheppard Discussion thread and the Rodney McKay Discussion thread where fans of each character weren't happy with the writing for those characters. In Sheppard's case they were tired of seeing him be used to react to McKay-driven storylines and they were particularly disappointed in how lackluster Epiphany turned out. McKay fans were annoyed that the writers were using him as comic relief too often. They preferred the more balanced McKay of Season 1.

Yup it did. Season 5 started out amazing and it just showed how good the show could be when they actually wrote for all the characters, but it was always temporary and they soon fell into their old ways. They concentrated on Rodney because they identified with him the most and most of the writers seemed to live through his character.
                    Yes, unfortunately, anything good was always only a temporary thing with TPTW. It's too bad MGM & SyFy had so much trust in BW because by Season 2 it was clear that he was determined to strip SGA of much of what made it unique from SG-1. As a result, as he later admitted (while being interviewed about SGU), they recycled too many SG-1 stories for SGA.

With that kind of stale storytelling, poor SGA didn't have a chance of raising its respectable ratings to the stellar levels of Eureka and W13.

I feel the same, but yet on the other hand would still have liked to have seen them attempt to put things right. But unfortunately that probably wouldn't have happened with the same bunch of writers, as they seem incapable of admitting they did anything wrong. My issues were not even with the changes they made, but how they executed them. I didn't mind them wanting to shake things up and I enjoyed some of the storylines in seasons 4/5, but I didn't like how haphazzardly they handled them and how so many of them were left unfinished and the characters butchered in the process. It was like they didn't even really know their own characters..
                    Yes, Season 5 sucked so hard that I would love to have seen TPTW make the changes needed to get the show back on track for Season 6. I would love to have seen SGA end on a positive creative note. But, unfortunately, as you mentioned, that could only happen if they had been capable of admitting their mistakes and we know how likely that was. So, then I go back to being relieved that they never got a chance to write Season 6.

Like you, I also didn't have a problem with them wanting to make a change and I've even said that I wouldn't have had such a problem with them if they had finished Season 5 by living up to what the beginning of the season promised. If they had done everything they could to ensure that the season ended well, then even though I would have wanted more seasons, I could have been happy that they gave us a satisfying last SGA season.

Instead, they used SGA as a guinea pig for SGU and their other writing projects and indulged their McKay obsession and their love for Jewel/Kaylee and Firefly. And, to add insult to injury they took their bad writing habits to SGU and then behaved badly to criticism and the failure of that show.

For me, this is the worse (temporary, I hope) ending of a franchise that I've ever seen (I know Star Trek had a similar nasty ending, on TV, but I wasn't involved in that fandom at the time). Somehow, TPTW snatched failure out of the jaws of success and then had the nerve to blame the fans. Amazing.

Yep, Teyla in HD works for me. I can't wait.
                    Last edited by maxbo; 03 May 2011, 05:40 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Anyone here trying to win something in the Propworx auctions - lots of Teyla stuff this week.

Comment

Anyone here trying to win something in the Propworx auctions - lots of Teyla stuff this week.
                        I wasn't aware of this. Can you provide a link?
                        sigpic
                        Sigs made by the talented Cazzblade, Donna, Jeyla, Linda, Luciana, Mayra, Mrs.B, Padme
                        Scifan, Teylafan, WraithLord & YC & me.

Thanks for the memory to the cast and crew of Stargate Atlantis.
                        WraithLord - R.I.P.

Comment

Hope and Rgn, keep up the good work. I'm loving the Rachel/Teyla banners, pics, caps, etc.. Please keep them coming.
                          Thanks.

Here is another Rachel's banner...

... and sig...

I feel the same way. I was completely torn. On one hand wishing we had gotten Season 6 or at the very least the movie to see if the TPTW would try to fix some of the problems, or to have SGA go out with a bang, but on the other hand I didn't have that much faith they would. IMO, it was clear their focus was not on SGA in Season 5. So my expectations went down. And I got to say their comments weren't the least bit encouraging. BW, RC, MG, and JM have pretty much made sure I don't want to support their works in the future. This is the only fandom I have willing participated in. And it was certainly interesting, and very disappointing in the end.
                          sigpic
                          Sigs made by the talented Cazzblade, Donna, Jeyla, Linda, Luciana, Mayra, Mrs.B, Padme

WraithLord - R.I.P.

Comment

I wasn't aware of this. Can you provide a link?
                            Night shirt from The Gift

Black outfit

Knife (hero)

Season 1 uniform

Broken Ties costume

Comment

Thank you for posting this! Some cool stuff!
                              sigpic

WraithLord - R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo
                                Cool, these are nice. I need to see how to work them into my sig.
                                Thanks. I know there are websites with the rotating sigs... sadly I don't know them any more.

Yeah, it sucks to have these conflicting feelings, doesn't it? I'm also having conflicting feelings about the end of SGU. On the one hand, I'm relieved that TPTW are truly now TPTW, but on the other hand, I'm sad that the franchise is now on hiatus for who knows how long.

I know Brad Wright tried to save face at the Van Con by saying that he was proud of SGA, but given his actions and comments after SGA's first season, I find that hard to believe. First, he distanced himself from the day-to-day overseeing of SGA at some point after Season 1 and second, his comments since SGA's end weren't the kind of comments a man proud of SGA would have made.
                                I'm sad too about the state of the franchise. I still believe the franchise could be gold. So hopefully this hiatus wouldn't be too long.

Yeah, I didn't find Brad Wright comments all that convincing either. Even if he was being truthful because of his previous actions and comments, you can't help but look at his comments with some skepticism. His and the other TPTW's comments just made matters worst at times these last couple of years. You would have thought because of the business they were in that they would have been a bit more PR savvy.

And on the Rachel front...she hasn't been posting that much on Twitter or Facebook, but here are her recent tweets.

Spoiler:

rachel_luttrell Rachel Luttrell
                                Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments regarding my Sweet Nala. xo
                                13 May Favorite Retweet Reply »
                                rachel_luttrell Rachel Luttrell
                                My beloved dog and cherished companion, Nala, died today. She will be dearly, dearly missed. xxxxxxxxxx
                                12 May Favorite Retweet Reply

A little sad news for Rachel. Let's hope Rachel hold on to the happy memories.

sigpic

WraithLord - R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X