No announcement yet.

Rachel Luttrell/Teyla Emmagan WOW Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting that cute video of Rachel and that bird at the Comicpalooza con. Both Rachel and the bird are beautiful. I LOL when the owner said the bird was cheating on him with Rachel.

Also, thanks for the news on Rachel's pregnancy. I wish her well.

I recently visited the Television Without Pity site and was surprised to see that the SGA thread had recent discussions. SGA fans are still as annoyed as ever about the way SGA turned out. The wall-papering of Teyla is still one of the frequently mentioned sources of dissatisfaction with SGA. They also feel like they dodged a bullet by not getting a movie that was written by the show's writers.

Time has not changed the less than flattering opinions that many held of the Stargate franchise's producers and writers more than a year ago.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana

Comment

I'm glad you liked it.

And some of those comments from the producers started almost 3 years ago. The dismissal of fans' opinions started years beyond that, so I'm not surprised that's the case there. It's too bad. I would have loved a movie written by someone that knew the characters and was willing to write well for all of them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
        Thanks for posting that cute video of Rachel and that bird at the Comicpalooza con. Both Rachel and the bird are beautiful. I LOL when the owner said the bird was cheating on him with Rachel.

Also, thanks for the news on Rachel's pregnancy. I wish her well.

I recently visited the Television Without Pity site and was surprised to see that the SGA thread had recent discussions. SGA fans are still as annoyed as ever about the way SGA turned out. The wall-papering of Teyla is still one of the frequently mentioned sources of dissatisfaction with SGA. They also feel like they dodged a bullet by not getting a movie that was written by the show's writers.

Time has not changed the less than flattering opinions that many held of the Stargate franchise's producers and writers more than a year ago.
        A bullet was most certainly dodged there. I know I wouldn't have watched it knowing who wrote the script. Well if we were hardly gonna see Teyla there would be no point, would there And I had more than enough of Rodney's incessant whining, I couldn't sit through a whole hour and a half of whining

Originally posted by The Lady Blue View Post
        I'm glad you liked it.

And some of those comments from the producers started almost 3 years ago. The dismissal of fans' opinions started years beyond that, so I'm not surprised that's the case there. It's too bad. I would have loved a movie written by someone that knew the characters and was willing to write well for all of them.
        Unfortunately we wouldn't have got that with who wrote the script. Rachel could turn up, stand in the background against the wall for a little while and go away again hehe. Easiest money she'll ever earn And Jason could do the same only he could give a grunt or two for added benefit. *snicker*

Pessimist? Me? Never!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
          Rachel could turn up, stand in the background against the wall for a little while and go away again hehe. Easiest money she'll ever earn And Jason could do the same only he could give a grunt or two for added benefit. *snicker*
          True that.

Lemming waves from Scotland (until tomorrow when it's back home with me - cue sad face)
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Has anybody seen this? Rachel uploaded it some months back, and it's one of the songs off of her album. I think it's just beautiful.

She's so expressive in this. It's too bad she didn't get to use that more in SGA.

sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately we wouldn't have got that with who wrote the script. Rachel could turn up, stand in the background against the wall for a little while and go away again hehe. Easiest money she'll ever earn And Jason could do the same only he could give a grunt or two for added benefit. *snicker*

Pessimist? Me? Never!
              Sad, but very true.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                True that.

Lemming waves from Scotland (until tomorrow when it's back home with me - cue sad face)
                You're in Scotland? Whereabouts?

Has anybody seen this? Rachel uploaded it some months back, and it's one of the songs off of her album. I think it's just beautiful.

She's so expressive in this. It's too bad she didn't get to use that more in SGA.
                I dunno what's wrong with my fIREFOX. iT AIN'T PLAYING ANY VIDEOS FOR SOME RERASON

Sad, but very true.
                I hate being right
                sigpic

Comment

You're in Scotland? Whereabouts?
                  I was on the Isles of Skye for the week, and flew into and out of Edinburgh. We were planning on visiting the city today but at the last minute changed our plans and went to Deep Sea World instead near the Forth of Firth. Stroked a little shark and a Bearded Dragon called Jack. But the highlight of my trip was spotting a dolphin and a navy submarine, also seals but sadly no otters or whales.

Comment

I was on the Isles of Skye for the week, and flew into and out of Edinburgh. We were planning on visiting the city today but at the last minute changed our plans and went to Deep Sea World instead near the Forth of Firth. Stroked a little shark and a Bearded Dragon called Jack. But the highlight of my trip was spotting a dolphin and a navy submarine, also seals but sadly no otters or whales.
                    Cool, I haven't been to Skye. But I love Edinburgh. It's not been the best of weather this month. I can't remember July ever being this wet before You mean the Firth of Forth
                    sigpic

Comment

Yep, SGA's producers had been dissing SGA's fans for a long, long time. I believe they had been successful as a group for so long that they forgot that they were not infallible. Time and again, fans let them know what was wrong with their writing and time and again, they either ignored those comments or ridiculed the fans who made them.

This arrogance has resulted in them getting less than favorable views as writers around the internet ever since. After I read the recent TWOP discussions, I was curious to see if I could find any positive discussions about SGA's writers on the internet. I could not. No matter where I went, the comments about them were not kind.

A bullet was most certainly dodged there. I know I wouldn't have watched it knowing who wrote the script. Well if we were hardly gonna see Teyla there would be no point, would there And I had more than enough of Rodney's incessant whining, I couldn't sit through a whole hour and a half of whining

As much as I wanted a movie... at one time, I can almost get down on my knees in thanks that we didn't get one from these writers. Your short and unflattering summary is probably better than Mallozzi's movie would have been. *shudders*

Yes, I've seen it. Rachel and her voice are beautiful. I agree that it's a shame that SGA's producers didn't use her talents more in SGA. It's painful to realize how much better SGA could have been overall if only it had a better writing team. This is why writers should never be allowed to think they can do whatever they want and not suffer any consequences.

IMO, BW's creative team used their unprecedented success with the SG franchise to become arrogant bullies who thought they could do no wrong. That's the only explanation for some of their actions in the last several years. I still shake my head when I think of some of their antics.

Just a few of the many head-scratching moments were:

JM and BW insulting the intelligence of those who didn't like SGU; JM telling his blog readers that the more they complain about something (*cough* Keller) in SGA, the more it will be included in SGA for spite; RCC claiming (on video) that he believed SGU had more viewers than the other SG shows, and more.

There were so many other examples of their combative and odd behavior, but two of the most fascinating were:

1) BW insulting the critic of a major newspaper, Mo Ryan, because she had criticized SGU in a short review. This lead to Mo Ryan writing another SGU review where she took the time to expand on her earlier concerns about SGU. This more critical review got more press than the first review. She also said she wasn't going to bother to review SGU anymore. Way to go, Brad!

2) The desperate duo of BW and JM claiming that they had a long-term plan for SGU, but RCC (on video) saying that writers who claimed they have long-term plans for their shows were full of BS. This was unintentional comedy gold because it proved that the left hand had no idea what the right hand was doing. Talk about being disconnected!

Sounds like a fun trip. I hope you get the chance to return and see the things you missed.
                      Last edited by maxbo; 23 July 2012, 07:07 AM.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana

Comment

Cool, I haven't been to Skye. But I love Edinburgh. It's not been the best of weather this month. I can't remember July ever being this wet before
                        Barely seen a drop of rain in the past week...

You mean the Firth of Forth
                        Oops... yes, that one.

After I read the recent TWOP discussions...
                        That what?

Comment

That what?
                          TWOP is Television Without Pity. During SGU's run, reading that site and others like it, were better than watching the show. In fact, those sites are largely what kept me watching SGU for as long as I did.

I hadn't visited TWOP since sometime last year. When I visited the site recently I was surprised to see July 2012 comments about SGA and SG-1. Fans are still interested in both shows. There was also discussion in the SGU thread.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana

Comment

TWOP is Television Without Pity.
                            Oh doh! *face!palm* Of course... I think I've asked this once before too.

Comment

I dunno what's wrong with my fIREFOX. iT AIN'T PLAYING ANY VIDEOS FOR SOME RERASON
                              Oh, no. Did you try restarting Firefox after clearing your cache? That might help, or it could be google (YouTube) in Europe... I hope you get to see the vid eventually.

I hate being right
                              Sometimes it better than being wrong... Sometimes.

Yep, SGA's producers had been dissing SGA's fans for a long, long time. I believe they had been successful as a group for so long that they forgot that they were not infallible. Time and again, fans let them know what was wrong with their writing and time and again, they either ignored those comments or ridiculed the fans who made them.

This arrogance has resulted in them getting less than favorable views as writers around the internet ever since. After I read the recent TWOP discussions, I was curious to see if I could find any positive discussions about SGA's writers on the internet. I could not. No matter where I went, the comments about them were not kind.
                              That's too bad, but unfortunately deserved.

As much as I wanted a movie... at one time, I can almost get down on my knees in thanks that we didn't get one from these writers. Your short and unflattering summary is probably better than Mallozzi's movie would have been. *shudders*
                              I feel the same way. If I had to pick someone that had written for the series and was also a producer, I'd pick Alan McCullough. He was the only one that tried to do something with Teyla season 5. Not to mention, he wrote for the other characters too.

Yes, I've seen it. Rachel and her voice are beautiful. I agree that it's a shame that SGA's producers didn't use her talents more in SGA. It's painful to realize how much better SGA could have been overall if only it had a better writing team. This is why writers should never be allowed to think they can do whatever they want and not suffer any consequences.

IMO, BW's creative team used their unprecedented success with the SG franchise to become arrogant bullies who thought they could do no wrong. That's the only explanation for some of their actions in the last several years. I still shake my head when I think of some of their antics.

Just a few of the many head-scratching moments were:

JM and BW insulting the intelligence of those who didn't like SGU; JM telling his blog readers that the more they complain about something (*cough* Keller) in SGA, the more it will be included in SGA for spite; RCC claiming (on video) that he believed SGU had more viewers than the other SG shows, and more.

There were so many other examples of their combative and odd behavior, but two of the most fascinating were:

1) BW insulting the critic of a major newspaper, Mo Ryan, because she had criticized SGU in a short review. This lead to Mo Ryan writing another SGU review where she took the time to expand on her earlier concerns about SGU. This more critical review got more press than the first review. She also said she wasn't going to bother to review SGU anymore. Way to go, Brad!

2) The desperate duo of BW and JM claiming that they had a long-term plan for SGU, but RCC (on video) saying that writers who claimed they have long-term plans for their shows were full of BS. This was unintentional comedy gold because it proved that the left hand had no idea what the right hand was doing. Talk about being disconnected!

Sounds like a fun trip. I hope you get the chance to return and see the things you missed.
                              Those were all terrible moments that eventually ended up hurting the fandom. I think a lot of their "comments" caused divisions within the fandom by starting arguments during the past few years. It's so sad that they spent 12 years building a television franchise that even moved to film, only to have it fall apart because of their own mismanagement. So very sad.

sigpic

Comment

Oh doh! *face!palm* Of course... I think I've asked this once before too.
                                No worries, I usually write out names because I often get confused when other people use abbreviations. I got lazy this time.

That's too bad, but unfortunately deserved.
                                True. Although I hate how their arrogance left the Stargate franchise in a sad place, they deserve the negative feedback they continue to receive because of their unfortunate writing. As obnoxious as their behavior was, if they had the talent to back it up, they would be getting more respect.

I feel the same way. If I had to pick someone that had written for the series and was also a producer, I'd pick Alan McCullough. He was the only one that tried to do something with Teyla season 5. Not to mention, he wrote for the other characters too.
                                I agree about Alan McCullough. He was the most well-rounded writer of the franchise in its last days. If the rest of the writers has his attitude and vision for the characters, SGA would probably have lived up to its vast potential.

Those were all terrible moments that eventually ended up hurting the fandom. I think a lot of their "comments" caused divisions within the fandom by starting arguments during the past few years. It's so sad that they spent 12 years building a television franchise that even moved to film, only to have it fall apart because of their own mismanagement. So very sad.
                                Yes, it's unfortunate that they were the cause of much of the discord among the fans. Their divisive behavior tainted the legacy of a much loved, long-running franchise. No matter what we thought of SGU, the last days of a first-run Stargate show should have been a time where we all celebrated the franchise. Instead, they used their need to get back at the fans who didn't fall in line as expected to turn the fandom into a hate-filled, combative mess. Things didn't begin to calm down until after SGU was cancelled and they (the writers) had moved on.

When I think about SGA these days, I think about Seasons 1-4 and a few moments in Season 5. I also think about the great fanfic I've read. Especially, the fanfic that concentrates on the team aspect of SGA. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've read any fanfic.

One of my favorites is Thermopylae by Tipper, http://megtipper.tripod.com/thermopylae.htm. This is a Season 3 team fic where Teyla's background is nicely featured. What I love about good team fanfics is that they don't treat Teyla and Ronon like background characters.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X