No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Friendship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's good to see some activity on this thread. And great post Wilson3Girl. I've been a little discouraged about all things Stargate lately, but these two and their friendship are why I'm still here and still watching the show. While I didn't love everything in S4, I thought it was the best season yet for their relationship, and I thought it was very obvious how close they've become over the years. Losing Elizabeth could have put a wedge between them but instead it seemed to push them closer together. Even John's teasing was gentler than in previous years, and he went out of his way to be supportive of Rodney over and over again.

I'm looking forward to The Shrine, and I hope we get some good scenes for their friendship. I'm a little nervous, because last season the episodes I looked forward to the most were the ones I was most disappointed with, and then I ended up enjoying episodes I didn't expect to. So I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but I hope it really does turn out to be a good episode for Rodney and John.

One other note: In The Last Man, I
    Spoiler:
    realize it's just my fan interpretation, but it really did seem to me like John wanted badly to say something to the old Rodney before the stasis chamber was activated, but he just couldn't. The whole sports thing - it seems like he was really trying to say something else, and from the look on Rodney's face, it seemed to me like he understood.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
      It's good to see some activity on this thread. And great post Wilson3Girl. I've been a little discouraged about all things Stargate lately, but these two and their friendship are why I'm still here and still watching the show. While I didn't love everything in S4, I thought it was the best season yet for their relationship, and I thought it was very obvious how close they've become over the years. Losing Elizabeth could have put a wedge between them but instead it seemed to push them closer together. Even John's teasing was gentler than in previous years, and he went out of his way to be supportive of Rodney over and over again.

I'm looking forward to The Shrine, and I hope we get some good scenes for their friendship. I'm a little nervous, because last season the episodes I looked forward to the most were the ones I was most disappointed with, and then I ended up enjoying episodes I didn't expect to. So I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but I hope it really does turn out to be a good episode for Rodney and John.
      That´s pretty often the case when expectations went through the rooftop. Take Midway for example, nobody really counted on that to be a good Shepisode, but he did have some great stuff there.

Well, JM said there´s several good Shep/Rodney friendship "moments" (among others) to come in several episodes, so I´m looking forward to that. At least, these two won´t be putting up a fight for a certain doctor Well, I hope she doesn´t become the sole center of their discussions, anyway.

Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
      picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

Comment

Originally posted by SheppAddictedFangirl View Post
        That´s pretty often the case when expectations went through the rooftop. Take Midway for example, nobody really counted on that to be a good Shepisode, but he did have some great stuff there.

Well, JM said there´s several good Shep/Rodney friendship "moments" (among others) to come in several episodes, so I´m looking forward to that. At least, these two won´t be putting up a fight for a certain doctor Well, I hope she doesn´t become the sole center of their discussions, anyway.
        Yes, I don't want the Shep/Rodney scenes filled with Keller discussion either! They don't normally talk about women so it would seem odd imo. And yes I would hate it if it were Rodney and John fighting over her that would make me sick!

And no hug ever? Oh I am so gutted about that! I want them to have a hug but is JF being a spoilsport?! Over his dead body, that really does not sound good does it?! Sounds like JM doesn't want it either. Why though, Ronon hugs Shep and Rodney why can't they hug?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elliecat View Post
          And no hug ever? Oh I am so gutted about that! I want them to have a hug but is JF being a spoilsport?! Over his dead body, that really does not sound good does it?! Sounds like JM doesn't want it either. Why though, Ronon hugs Shep and Rodney why can't they hug?
          I'm disappointed too, but I haven't quite given up hope. I think the thing is though - John doesn't hug anyone. Elizabeth has hugged him, Ronon has hugged him, Teyla has hugged him...but he never ever initiates it, they do. I can't see Rodney hugging John...he has a hard time even hugging his sister.
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

I'm disappointed too, but I haven't quite given up hope. I think the thing is though - John doesn't hug anyone. Elizabeth has hugged him, Ronon has hugged him, Teyla has hugged him...but he never ever initiates it, they do. I can't see Rodney hugging John...he has a hard time even hugging his sister.
            Yeah I have noticed that. When Teyla and Weir hugged John he looked so uncomfortable! And Rodney is another one, he has never hugged Weir or Teyla, he has hugged Ronon (sort of) but he did think he was going to die at the time and he was healing his scars! Damn, maybe in 'the Shrine' it will be John's turn?! (*Wishing really hard*)
            sigpic

Comment

In The Last Man, I
              Spoiler:
              realize it's just my fan interpretation, but it really did seem to me like John wanted badly to say something to the old Rodney before the stasis chamber was activated, but he just couldn't. The whole sports thing - it seems like he was really trying to say something else, and from the look on Rodney's face, it seemed to me like he understood.
              I share that interpretation as well. I thought that John was struggling to say something too, but he just couldn't get it out. I agree that Rodney understood exactly what John wanted to say.
              On a weird sidenote, my favorite scene from Lethal Weapon 2 (or 3?) was when Murtaugh was stuck on a toilet because bad guys had planted a bomb in it and if he moved, he'd die. Riggs stayed with him throughout the scary (and embarassing!) incident to the very end (no pun intended ). Just before they got ready to jump out of the bathroom window, Murtaugh says to Riggs, "Wait a minute Riggs, I....I...." and Riggs says, "I know....I know."
              Murtaugh can't say "I love you" but Riggs knows what he means, the audience knows what he means....the moment was still touching even without the words actually being said.
              That's how I see Rodney and Shep's relationship---so many little funny and touching moments. They are constantly keeping an eye on each other, when Shep wakes up in Quarantine, the first thing he says is "Where's McKay?", he knows Rodney's password! The list is endless.

Wilson3Girl, glad to see more activity in this thread as these two guys are awesome!

Comment

They are awesome! I agree about them having little 'moments' I see it all the time, they just sort of look at each other and they know what the other is thinking. They say a lot with their eyes those two.

And in Q John knew that Rodney would be freaking out being locked up.

I could so squee about these guys right now, they are adorable!

Am watching Inferno and John is calling Rodney on his arrogance that he can fix anything in a life or death situation, he sure knows how to handle Rodney!
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, I don't want the Shep/Rodney scenes filled with Keller discussion either! They don't normally talk about women so it would seem odd imo. And yes I would hate it if it were Rodney and John fighting over her that would make me sick!
                  I knew you´d say that
                  Oh, but they DO talk about them, in Q
                  Spoiler:
                  Rodney told Shep that he was about to ask Katie to marry him, and I think Shep was the ONLY one who knew. Although, that whole confession may have come by accident... don´t remember the details.... *still waiting for the DVDs *sigh*

Also in "the Game" - Shep knew who that "Geldar" girl was "the one that Rodney stalked in college"

Well, I think it´s mutual, both David and Joe F feel it would be out of character for either one of them to start hugging (McKay wasn´t really enjoying the hug from Ronon in ToR, though that may have been due to him wearing scrubs and Ronon being a bit, well, rough ). I could see some comforting hand placed on a shoulder though, but a real hug?! Not really...

Well, there is a commentary for Reunion where they say that JoeF was uncomfortable with the scene
                  Spoiler:
                  in the messhall talking with Ronon about some personal stuff, because he felt that Shep would not ever really be that open about anything like that.

And if he´s reluctant with Ronon (who appears to be the ONLY one actually being able to crack that hard shell of his to some degree), then there´s definetly no way he´d go down that path with Rodney.

I agree that he always seems a bit taken aback when somebody tries to/does hug him, but he´ll eventually give in (though with Teyla... that might have been due to other circumstances in the particular episode. He just NEVER starts it, and neither does Rodney... so - nope, I don´t see a future there! But I´m actually fine with that, because I happen to agree with JF, it would seem a bit odd and out of character.
                  Last edited by SheppAddictedFangirl; 14 June 2008, 02:23 PM.

Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
                  picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

Comment

Neither one of them are the hugging type, especially with another guy. They don't express emotion well (and I agree - I think that's one reason they get along so well) and they are extremely uncomfortable trying to verbalize how they feel.

Ronon is a hugging type of guy (which cracks me up and makes me love him more). Shep and McKay aren't. The closest I could ever see them coming to giving a comforting touch would be if something tragic happened (Jeannie dies for example) where Rodney is completely shattered and not able to hold in the grief. I can see Shep gripping his shoulder or the back of his neck. But a hug? Never.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana
                    My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Hey y'all...

I've got a few Shep/McKay friendship pic fics I thought I would share with you guys! Hope you like!

The List

This Must Be Heaven?

That's What Friends Aren't For

Just a warning, sarcasm abounds.
                      sigpic
                      Humor is the great thing, the saving thing after all. The minute it crops up, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations, and resentments flit away, and a sunny spirit takes their place. --Mark Twain

Comment

Awwww.....very cute stuff! Thanks for sharing YappiChick. My favorite is The List.

Wilson3Girl

Comment

I don't know if these vids have been recced in here, but here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69WDxfoqHHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJeffvsWqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRsrRlf42U
                          My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
                          Sig and avi by me
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Hi, it was really fun reading these last few pages, nice to see it lively here again

But I believe they will hug in the future! All is leading to it, only it cannot happen to soon (what else would we be hoping for after that!)
                            I think it could happen in a situation when to describe their emotions in words will be more difficult for them then a hug! It will be a bit shocking, unexpected but sincere Either John or Rodney can do the hugging, in different situations, both sounds like fun...

Well, just my thoughts, we will see what time brings…

Is possible that the new season starts in 20 days? This time it went by so quickly!

Comment

Fic rec: Never a Nursemaid by greyias. Snark alert!
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Luciana
                              My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Hi all! I don't really have anything constructive to say. I just needed somewhere to come to and be gleeful because it's almost Friday and the season premiere is upon us. Yay!!

My absolute favorite part of this show is watching John and Rodney's friendship. I usually end up having to watch an episode more than once in order to catch everything between them. They are so great together.

Comment

Working...
                                X