Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Friendship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shonaille
    That might change when Intruder airs, even though he won't be kicked off Atlantis bcse well there would be no show, he and Weir have to deal with the consequences of their actions in this upcoming ep.
    Hope so. I don't mind bad behavior too much as long as the person learns his lesson. But we've seen no lessons, in fact no acknowledgement that it's bad behavior.

I don't agree about the Menarians thing though, I just rewatched the ep and the Menarians were untrustworthy from the beginning and were planning on betraying Weir and the other before Shep arrived.
    Maybe my version is missing a scene? I checked my tape carefully. Yes, they had a radio, but so what? We don't know what would have happened if Sheppard hadn't threatened the Manarian leader.

If someone comes to you and says he and an undisclosed number of his friends and relations are going to camp out in your neighborhood for a few days, you're going to ask questions. You're also probably going to ask for compensation at least for the rubbish disposal and extra police and fire details you're going to have to have, and who exactly is going to feed these people? If he then displays a gun and tells you you don't want to make an enemy of his people, you might think of another gang of thugs you'd quite like to sic on him. And you might even be scared or angry enough give them a call.

And also, the Geniii are ruthless people that have proven to be dangerous people. I understand that they want to protect their people but its always at the expense of others.
    If you're responding to my comment about Sheppard giving and giving to Genii, you're arguing with facts that were not yet in evidence. They just seemed to be greedy, and Sheppard was accommodating each increasingly outrageous demand.

If you're responding to Sheppard stealing from the Genii, it's still a crime. Maybe he could attempt to defend his action by claiming the device didn't belong to the Genii either, but it had been in their possession for, what? a hundred years? I don't think that would be a successful defense.
    Last edited by Wordsmit2; 20 June 2005, 09:41 AM.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
      Yep, that pretty much covers my thoughts. If there is a
      Spoiler:
      McKay/Beckett smooch it's going to be played out for humor and not in a serious M/B way. Most likely McKay's female companion is going to have control of that situation, and Rodney's just going to have to go along for the ride. Of course, how that potentially changes Rodney and Carson's relationship is going to be fine fodder for the slashers!
      Ah, but notice I also left room for (slashiness alert!)
      Spoiler:
      McKay and Beckett to have kissed before. Who is it saying "I can't believe this!"? And how long and...eh, interested...was this kiss anyway? And how quickly did Beckett recover his wits?

Yet a person can still easily take the conservative hetero "oh dear, poor embarrassed Rodney" and "poor embarrassed Carson" viewpoint without any blinking, squinting, or doublethink. When I wrote it I toyed with having one of the McKays observe "Well that was different" but thought it could be seen as lending a slashy or anti-slashy tone. I wanted to write as "harmless" a scene as possible yet leave room for *any* interpretation.

And, yeah, I expect there could be quite a few "Could you kiss me again?" fanfics from any of the three characters.

Mind you, if there is a "McKay"/Beckett smooch, it's going to look like a cheap shot unless some thought went into it. I'm all for *somebody* enjoying it even if it's just a one-off, or else why do it at all?
      Last edited by Wordsmit2; 20 June 2005, 10:15 AM.
      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Duet spoilers

I want to know one thing.

Spoiler:
        Why couldn't she have a crush on Sheppard? Why, why, why... sniffle. sob.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
          Duet spoilers

I want to know one thing.

Spoiler:
          Why couldn't she have a crush on Sheppard? Why, why, why... sniffle. sob.
          Lol!

I just read the David Hewlett spoilers for Duet and...

This ep is sounding mighty interesting...

I wonder what Shep will have to say about Rodney's behaviour in this ep??
          Assuming he's around to witness/poke fun at Rodney's doings heh.

Comment

Spoiler:
            According to early spoilers both Shep and Weir think McKay is going crazy or just needs to see Dr. H.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
              Spoiler:
              According to early spoilers both Shep and Weir think McKay is going crazy or just needs to see Dr. H.
              How...easy. Geez, haven't they watched science fiction? Well, maybe Weir hasn't, but I've gotten the impression Sheppard has no excuse for this oversight. This is a Stargate series after all, where people have actually seen movies and TV shows and comment on them a couple times a season.

Duet spoiler:

Spoiler:
              Star Trek's "Turnabout Intruder", "The Lights of Zetar" and that one where Kirk, Spock, and someone else let their bodies be borrowed by aliens, anyone? Not to mention a gazillion other sci-fi episodes and movies with the same device. I have a zine with a list of "Top Twenty Lines We'd Most Like to Hear In Blake's 7", and one of them is "Oh dear, I'm getting one of those 'my mind is being taken over by an alien influence' headaches."

My point is, there's nothing wrong with the cliche as long as you don't pretend your characters aren't familiar with it. People who don't watch sci-fi *don't* have an excuse, because they have
              Spoiler:
              The Exorcist and that one a few years ago (I can't remember who was in it or what it was called, but I remember a street scene with *it* jumping from person to person as our hero tried to keep track of the conversation), and any number of horror films... And think how often people say some variation of "Maybe it's his/my evil twin."
              Last edited by Wordsmit2; 24 June 2005, 12:38 PM.
              Wordsmit2

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                Spoiler:
                Hey, wait a minute. That's not even an appropriate course of action.

"Duet"
                Spoiler:
                Person gets knocked unconscious and now he says someone's talking inside his head, and they send him to a psychiatrist? (I *hope* she's a psychiatrist and not a psychologist!) Get real! You send him to the regular doctor first, so he gets a thorough checkup for physical causes. Assuming that's Beckett, we're back where we should be, eh?

If Rodney and Laura are having problems coping and otherwise getting along, a counsellor is an appropriate supplement, whether or not you actually believe there are two people in one body.
                Last edited by Wordsmit2; 24 June 2005, 01:36 PM.
                Wordsmit2

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
                  Hey, wait a minute. That's not even an appropriate course of action.

"Duet"
                  Spoiler:
                  Person gets knocked unconscious and now he says someone's talking inside his head, and they send him to a psychiatrist? (I *hope* she's a psychiatrist and not a psychologist!) Get real! You send him to the regular doctor first, so he gets a thorough checkup for physical causes. Assuming that's Beckett, we're back where we should be, eh?

If Rodney and Laura are having problems coping and otherwise getting along, a counsellor is an appropriate supplement, whether or not you actually believe there are two people in one body.

I completely agree, I can't see Weir and Sheppard being so indifferent to something that is obviously something serious. Then again, spoilers, especially early ones like this one tend to be misleading. I hope that's the case and they don't have Weir and Shep acting glib about Rodney's mental health.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Well, if you think about it, this is supposed to be *the* humor episode, so I'm sure that everything will be treated with an air of irreverence, including McKay's "insanity." Personally, I'm willing to take everything with a grain of salt, and I'll wait until I see the ep before I form an opinion, because I want to see everyone's actions in context.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
                    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
                    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
                    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Carson: I thought this was the Sheppard-McKay discussion thread. Why are they talking about me here?

Rodney: Well, I guess they got sidetracked by the spoilers. They're all still talking about me, though. That's good.

John: I think they need to get back talking about Sheppard-McKay. Although I can't blame the fans for fixating on you two for that episode.

Elizabeth: Maybe someone can start a Beckett-McKay discussion thread. Or they can discuss Duet in the Episode forum where you don't have to use spoiler tags.

Rodney: As long as they continue to talk about me, I don't care where they post.

Elizabeth/John/Carson: Rodney!
                      Last edited by watcher652; 29 June 2005, 11:04 PM. Reason: typo

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652

Carson: I thought this was the Sheppard-McKay discussion thread. Why are they talking about me here?

Rodney: Well, I guess they got sidetracked by the spoilers. They're all still taking about me, though. That's good.

John: I think they need to get back talking about Sheppard-McKay. Although I can't blame the fans for fixating on you two for that episode.

Elizabeth: Maybe someone can start a Beckett-McKay discussion thread. Or they can discuss Duet in the Episode forum where you don't have to use spoiler tags.

Rodney: As long as they continue to talk about me, I don't care where they post.

Elizabeth/John/Carson: Rodney!
                        Lol.

I guess we were getting a little carried away what with the spoilers and all.

But we weren't the only ones...(Mild Duet spoilers)

Comment

Rodney: Where is everyone?

John: It's a holiday weekend, Rodney. Fourth of July. And Live 8, too.

Rodney: Oh, I forgot. Canadian, remember? And Atlantis time is a little off from Earth time.

John: And you call yourself a genius.

Rodney. I am. With what's important, like wormholes and building nuclear bombs. Although fireworks are very nice, too. More in the chemistry field, though.

My kind of guy:
                          "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                          Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                            John: And you call yourself a genius.

Rodney. I am. With what's important, like wormholes and building nuclear bombs. Although fireworks are very nice, too. More in the chemistry field, though.
                            Uh, oh! Methinks Kavanaugh would have something nasty to say about that! I actually had a student in my science class last week asking how to make fireworks, the big kind, that require mortars. And he just turned 12. It's a little frightening...

And yes, this thread has a tendency to get hijacked. It got hijacked by McKay Thunkers a while back, too, before the Duet fans got ahold of it. (And I had nothing to do with either of those. I'm innocent, I tell you! Innocent!)

Personally, I'm on the edge of my seat. Only two more weeks until we get new McKay-Sheppard shenanigans! Yippee!

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
                              Only two more weeks until we get new McKay-Sheppard shenanigans! Yippee!

Joe: See, David? Despite that little distraction for Duet, there ARE some fans looking forward to more McKay-Sheppard interaction. Although I would have called it Sheppard-McKay interaction.

David: Why would it be Sheppard-McKay?

Joe: Oh, I dunno. Just sounds better to me.

David: It would. Listen, McKay-Sheppard is alphabetical. It has nothing to do with who's the star of the show. It's an ensemble show, anyway. And like I said before, the fans have spoken. They already refer to us as McKay-Sheppard. End of story.

David: Right, folks?

My kind of guy:

Comment

Hee! So glad you caught that I mentioned McKay's name first. Because to me, McKay always comes first.

Comment

Working...
                                X