This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by watcher652
    Paul McGillion is scheduled to attend DragonCon Sept 2-5 in Atlanta, Georgia. I will be attending my first DragonCon, and he's the reason why.

Any interesting questions you need answered? I asked on the Thunk thread, but they seem to be just looking at the pretty pictures.
    Pretty pictures! Indeed. Having a good time there? No still no questions but the kiss thing would be great. Apparently Joe gives them and hugs. Well I know Paul gives hugs to some.

Anyho I saw S1 & S2 last night and although I was a little confused with all the things going on the interaction between Carson and Rodney and the chair was nice to see and given he became a regular member of the cast by S3 it was also fitting to see him involved with trying to save Atlantis even if it didn't exactly workout how they wanted...or did it.

Comment

Paul McGillion is scheduled to attend DragonCon Sept 2-5 in Atlanta, Georgia. I will be attending my first DragonCon, and he's the reason why.

Any interesting questions you need answered? I asked on the Thunk thread, but they seem to be just looking at the pretty pictures.
      I think one question that we've even talked about here is what are his feelings about Beckett / Cadman?

Comment

Pretty pictures?!?! Those are SEXY pictures, thank you very much!!

LOL... ask Paul if he is willing to auction off a lap dance like Cliff Simon did... he could donate the $$$$ to the hurricane relief fund...

Oh! You meant SERIOUS questions...

hmmmmm....

ummmmm...

How would he like his character to grow in the next season or two? What would he like to see, regardless of what the producers will allow him to do?

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown
          I have to say, I just saw Instinct.
          Some people have already mentioned on this thread that they thought that Carson showed less than professional conduct on the planet. I disagree.
          Spoiler:
          He was offworld, but was, in essence, in a laboratory. Just as in PTW, he was visiting a fellow scientist (though far less accomplished technically). They were working on the same project. He could also expect the Man and his Wraith daughter to know how to behave in a lab environment. With all that equipment, it would be impractical (and reasonably unnecessary) to "batten down the hatches" every time you left the room. I think Carson had reason to feel he was in a peer environment.
          I finally saw "Instinct" yesterday, and I'm surprised. After reading dozens of postings (some here, some on yahoo) I was expecting this to be an episode with some bad character development for Carson. People said that he behaves unprofessional,
          Spoiler:
          taking the unfinished retrovirus with him and talking about it, calling Elia a test subject and regarding his research as more important than her.
          But now that I've seen it I have to disagree. Yes, he hopes that
          Spoiler:
          Elia will be a cooperative test subject, but when he says that he's still on Atlantis and hasn't met her yet. He thinks of his research first, and the fact that there is a possibility to complete his studies with the help of a "tame" Wraith (which normally would never be the case) is important. That doesn't mean that he will treat her like a guinea pig. I'm quite sure that he'd never do that. If he called her a test subject right in front of her or talked about her as if she wasn't there
          and had no say in that matter, than it would be bad. But this way? His studies are important. He's a physician, yes, but this is the next step.
          And yes, I think it's positive that he doesn't fear going through the gate when it's important. HE had to point out to Elizabeth HOW important it could be. I like that.
          And concerning this
          Spoiler:
          unfinished retrovirus: I don't know if it really was necessary to take it off-world. But maybe it's better because he can work on it immediately.
          Thistledown is right, he can expect this man and his daughter to know how to handle such things, at least so far that they don't touch something that isn't safe.
          I was unsure what I would think of the scene in which Carson
          Spoiler:
          tells Elia's father about the retrovirus, after the comments I read I supposed Carson would behave careless and irresponsible to talk about it so openly. But - no! He's still the Carson he ever was. He cannot know that Elia is listening
          , he cannot know that she's like a frustrated teenager who would throw all caution into the wind because he wants to be accepted by other people.
          No, Carson just sees a father who's suffering, and he feels sorry for him and tries to raise his hopes. Maybe some people call that a mistake that his personal feelings get into the way of his professional better knowledge. But that's Carson, he cares for other people, and he isn't perfect.
          The whole
          Spoiler:
          retrovirus talk scene is a plot device, an very obvious one, really not the best. Elia has to take this retrovirus, and so the scene with Carson talking about it is essential.
          But I really do think that it has a comprehensible and not too negative background when I look at Carson's character.

There's another thing that bothered me much more: The way he handled
          Spoiler:
          the injuries of Elia's father. Or should I say, the way he did nothing? Did he even feel his pulse? How did he know that there's nothing left to do, that the man will die?

I don't like such scenes. I also didn't like the way they
          Spoiler:
          carried away the unconscious Rodney
          in "Duet". But maybe I'm nitpicking, sorry.

Bye, A.
          ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
          ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by unowhoandwhy
            Pretty pictures?!?! Those are SEXY pictures, thank you very much!!
            LOL... ask Paul if he is willing to auction off a lap dance like Cliff Simon did... he could donate the $$$$ to the hurricane relief fund...
            Not sure if watcher652 will post here? I guess she will she is now hopefully sleeping. She has posted in the *Thunk* thread about meeting Paul McGillion (four times I might add) so if anyone is interested go to the *Thunk* thread for Beckett/McGillion. O.K it is a *Thunk* thread so...

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
              There's another thing that bothered me much more: The way he handled
              Spoiler:
              the injuries of Elia's father. Or should I say, the way he did nothing? Did he even feel his pulse? How did he know that there's nothing left to do, that the man will die?

I don't like such scenes. I also didn't like the way they
              Spoiler:
              carried away the unconscious Rodney
              in "Duet". But maybe I'm nitpicking, sorry.
              I don't think you're nitpicking at all. That is something they must work on for SGA. Carson makes too many medical determinations "at a glance" and unconcious/injured people are manhandled a little too much for believability.

AT
              thistledown
              sigpic

Comment

I don't think you're nitpicking at all. That is something they must work on for SGA. Carson makes too many medical determinations "at a glance" and unconcious/injured people are manhandled a little too much for believability.

AT
                I think Carson needs to find some Ancient tech thing where he can do a Star Trek like easy diagnosis. LOL I didn't have too much of a problem with the 'Instinct' diagnosis but then I assumed when we didn't see Carson on the screen that he was taking the pulse and other medical type stuff but you know that's just me.

Conversion is where I had a real problem
                Spoiler:
                all this so-called research (and yes the same in 'Instinct') and we see nothing of it! Why not? Why not a whole episode based around the medical/tech side of things? We see him with his team here for the first time. The first time!

I loved seeing more of Dr Beckett but there seems like a lot of missed opportunities in this season so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                  I think Carson needs to find some Ancient tech thing where he can do a Star Trek like easy diagnosis. LOL
                  Good that you mention that, because that's actually one of the things I dread. I don't want them to find too highly advanced medical equipment. That would make everything too easy IMHO. If I want to see Star Trek, I watch Star Trek. I liked the way medicine was presented there, but it was set in the future and so it was very easy for me to accept things which are unbelievable in our time. Of course there are many, many things on SG which are very scifi and also way-out sometimes, but most of the time you can still feel that people are trying to deal with these things with the methods and the way of thinking of our time, and I like that.
                  Advanced stuff also brings about the problem with continuity, like a deus ex machina: If used one time you have to use it again, because it would be unbelievable if the device never made an appearance again. Like the Daedalus: One time to the rescue, why not always to the rescue (See discussion about "Conversion")? --> Because it would be boring and too easy. But people notice the illogicalness. DEM is a dangerous thing.

As for the medical stuff: This MRI machine they used in "Sanctuary" has been used several times since. That's wonderful, and it's also a device which is OK for me personally, because it's similar to earth technique and not a "miracle machine".
                  But I winced when Carson
                  Spoiler:
                  used this little (absolutely unexplained) medical device on Ronon in "Runner"
                  . He never used it again afterwards. (And it also would have been nice to see him discover it since they obviously felt the need to introduce something like that. As you said, Rose, another missed opportunity for a Beckett moment, no matter that I don't like the device itself.)

And - I don't want to see Carson without his lovely stethoscope around his neck!
                  I loved seeing more of Dr Beckett but there seems like a lot of missed opportunities in this season so far.
                  Well, there are many characters who need their screen time and there's always a complex story to tell that mostly leaves little time for "nonrelevant scenes", but nonetheless I'm inclined to agree. There ARE missed opportunities. I still think the events are rushed a little on SGA.
                  Spoiler:
                  The contact with earth, the siege, now the whole research about Wraith evolution
                  - I would have liked it if there had been more moments that concentrate on life on Atlantis. There's still a city to explore (now with enough energy). And when did people move to new quarters? What is everyday life like? What else did they discover? What about the planet they're on?
                  I didn't have too much of a problem with the 'Instinct' diagnosis but then I assumed when we didn't see Carson on the screen that he was taking the pulse and other medical type stuff
                  Yeah, I think that too. I still would have liked to SEE him doing something.
                  I thought about the whole scene a lot again because I was wondering what Carson would do if someone of the Atlantis team was injured that severly. Well, I guess he'd do everything he can and would try to get the person to Atlantis as soon as possible. Then I thought: Do they have something like a prime directive when it comes to other planets? I mean, they cannot help everyone. They can try (Athos, Hoff), but they cannot care for everyone, especially not now when Atlantis
                  Spoiler:
                  is supposed to be destroyed (*rant on* I don't like that. As if the Wraith would be so dumb not to look for the oh so important debris *rant off*)
                  . I guess they simply just can't take everyone who's injured to Atlantis and help him there. That's impossible. And so Ellia's father
                  Spoiler:
                  maybe just had to die. It's simply a medical decision, time and effort against the odds that he'll make it. Maybe a little easier because Carson knows that he isn't the space doc of Pegasus, but mainly of the Atlants crew.
                  I understand the scene a little better now.
                  Conversion is where I had a real problem
                  Spoiler:
                  all this so-called research (and yes the same in 'Instinct') and we see nothing of it! Why not? Why not a whole episode based around the medical/tech side of things?
                  I'm no biologist, but I was wondering why it would take
                  Spoiler:
                  too long (days) to synthesize this pheromone, but the stem cell stuff that helps Sheppard is ready in a few hours, just before it would have been too late...

Wow, that was rather long.
                  Bye, A.

Comment

I was SO disappointed to see there was NO Carson in either "Aurora" or "Lost Boys". Sure hope he gets to appear in at least a few of the eps during the second half of the season.

Comment

Anyone out there write fanfiction? I'm trying, but haven't finished one yet.

I'm just thinking that all this Carson "down-time" would be a great opportunity for a writer to "fill-in".

How about some stories following all these episodes, but from Carson's perspective? Showing what he was doing while all these things were going on!

Just a thought,

AT
                      thistledown
                      sigpic

Comment

Anyone out there write fanfiction? I'm trying, but haven't finished one yet.

I'm just thinking that all this Carson "down-time" would be a great opportunity for a writer to "fill-in".

How about some stories following all these episodes, but from Carson's perspective? Showing what he was doing while all these things were going on!

Just a thought,

AT
                        That is a good idea you should post it in the fanfic area of GW that is where most people who write fic are likely to see it and then they might do something about it.

I was thinking it would be good to have one about his reaction to what happened in 'Instinct' I am sure there are already some around but I haven't looked yet.

Comment

That is a good idea you should post it in the fanfic area of GW that is where most people who write fic are likely to see it and then they might do something about it.

~thwaks forehead~

I keep forgetting there's a FORUM out there besides the Characters & Relationships!!
                          Thanks!

~clicks away to fic forum~

AT
                          thistledown
                          sigpic

Comment

I rarely post over here any more since there hasn't been much Beckett activity on the show the last few eps. However, I read the spoilery article on the Gateworld home page (about something happening at the end of S2 that make Weir and Beckett turn dark in S3). Any thoughts or speculations? Excited, or turned off, by the idea of a dark (maybe also angry/angsty) Beckett? (To clarify, "turn dark" as in action/deed/behavior--not in skin color)

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
                              However, I read the spoilery article on the Gateworld home page (about something happening at the end of S2 that make Weir and Beckett turn dark in S3). Any thoughts or speculations? Excited, or turned off, by the idea of a dark (maybe also angry/angsty) Beckett?
                              Well, at first the article said that it's Rodney who has this change in character, now it's Carson, and I think that fits better, because Carson needs more character development. But nonethless I'm not overly excited, change can be good but it can also be devastating. It's really good that the character gets some attention (finally!), I just hope it will turn out to be a tolerable and comprehensible/logical story behind this change, and nothing too drastic. I could imagine an angry or angsty Carson, or an annoyed or depressive/sad Carson, but please not again an "obsessed by aliens" or "addicted to something" story. And I think a lot would have to happen to make Carson violent or evil, so... we'll have to wait and see.

Bye, A.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
                                Well, at first the article said that it's Rodney who has this change in character, now it's Carson, and I think that fits better, because Carson needs more character development. But nonethless I'm not overly excited, change can be good but it can also be devastating. It's really good that the character gets some attention (finally!), I just hope it will turn out to be a tolerable and comprehensible/logical story behind this change, and nothing too drastic. I could imagine an angry or angsty Carson, or an annoyed or depressive/sad Carson, but please not again an "obsessed by aliens" or "addicted to something" story. And I think a lot would have to happen to make Carson violent or evil, so... we'll have to wait and see.

Bye, A.
                                I didn't read it when it first came out so I missed that it was Rodney and then changed to Carson. However, like you, I'm happy to see Carson getting some development, but I'm apprehensive as to how this will come about since he's not been all that prominent of a character thus far. Something like this coming out of thin air won't be very believable or interesting; but if the second half of this season leads up to this event, it could be quite good.

I HATE the "wait and see" aspect, but unfortunately that's all we can do!

Comment

Working...
                                X