Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a nice outlet mall in my town, and a Salvation Army store. I think we could find some decent, inexpensive clothes for Teyla.

What I've noticed is even when Teyla has on the Atlantis "uniform" (jacket and pants), she is still wearing her Britney Spears purple top underneath. . and she usually finds a reason to take off the jacket so we can get a eyefull of her "upper assets". Rachel is a beautiful girl IRL. .but why do TPTB feel they need to utilize her as a sex object instead of an interesting character?

If TPTB are going to keep her as the show's male eye candy, then the female half of the audience needs their own eye candy (and not just showing buff arms). . as in, Sheppard, Ford, Ronan, etc. in speedos. Come on. . .we want at least one MALE character to train half clothed (or less). Why does Teyla train almost nakey, but Shep is in full pants, shoes and shirt?

Come on. .this is a sci-fi/adventure show. We need interesting, indepth characters/stories. . not a parade of perfect bodies.

*dumping dough into collection jar*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonaille
      I see absolutely nothing wrong with Teyla's clothing. She's worn the skirt and halter top outfit twice and most of the time she's in pants or a uniform so whats the big deal? I see 15 year old girls wearing much less that what Teyla has on in those promo pics.
      I wear a halter top and shorts ( sometimes very short 'cause I can, im an adult) when I work out so Im not seeing the problem with Teyla's clothes. Wearing the occasionaly skin-showing outfit won't diminsh her character and its certainly nothing like what that cylon chick on BSG wears every episode. A woman can be taken seriously and still show skin sometimes.
      Wonderfully worded
      It seems whatever Teyla wears she is criticized though and to be honest I'm tired of all the negativity ..
      Personally I'd enjoy seeing all the characters not always wearing Military Iniforms and see more of the casual clothing ..
      One thing I am happy about is Teyla is not shown in the usual Military Attire and to be honest why should she ? Teyla is not Military so has no need to be always shown in Military Attire ..
      Where is the outrage about Dex ? Double Standard ? YUP
      The point I'm making is who cares what he/she has on .. it doesn't change their overall appeal and if it is that is sad because clothing doesn't make the person who he/she is it is the personality and total package is and how you perceive the person should not be determined by clothing , money, or whatever but based on the person alone ..

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Believer
        Me thinks you women are just jealous you don't look as hot as Teyla and could NEVER wear clothes like she does. Sad.

And whoever started this thread, really must have body image issues. Who would waste time with this subject?
        I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy. I personally don't see the reason for Teal'cs shirts to keep getting smaller and smaller other than the fact that his arms no longer fit in them.

Do I enjoy looking at eye candy? Of course I do...I'm not dead. However, does it really belong on either of the Stargate shows?? Other than trying to entice pubescent boys to watch, not in the least. I really don't think it adds anything to the storylines, therefore her lack of clothing really serves no purpose at all. For many of us it's the story that stimulates us, not the amount of clothing a particular character is wearing.

Though I must say, I'm all for equality. So the day they have all the men on SG-1 and Atlantis stripped down to loin clothes is the day I'll agree to the idea of sexing up all the female characters, but until then I say stimulate us with their brains and dialogue and less with their bodies.

I'll toss in a few bucks as well and if you are short on funds by the beginning of the season, I have a credit card that's just itchin to be used.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Well, McKay DOES have a nekkid scene coming up in S2 and Shep's had his shirt off once or twice, but they should keep it on an even keel: one half-nekkid guy for every half-nekkid Teyla shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Well, McKay DOES have a nekkid scene coming up in S2 and Shep's had his shirt off once or twice, but they should keep it on an even keel: one half-nekkid guy for every half-nekkid Teyla shot.

Now you're talking
            So McKay has a nekkid scene coming up ?
            Sheppard needs one too
            If McKay can get one Sheppard deserves the honor too
            Anytime I get to see Sheppard without his shirt is always a treat

Pam

Comment

The "outrage" about Dex will come, I imagine, if he stays in the clothes he's got. Those pictures of him are first-look — I'd imagine it'd be pretty weird if he continued to run around in the same clothes he'd been wearing for years while escaping the Wraith. And it'd be equally weird for our first look at him to be in Earth uniform.

I guess the question is whether or not Teyla's attire adds to her character. In my opinion, it detracts from her, because it's distracting.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I'm all for equality!

...*would actually prefer it if everyone kept their clothes on, as this is not a soap opera*
              Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
              Last update: 14 April 2006
              Melyanna's Multimedia
              Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Teyla's outfit needs two items.

First, a raspberry beret. You know, the kind you find in a second hand store . . .

Second, black fishnet stockings. That would just complete the look.
                Hey, TPTB! Want me to take the character seriously? Dress her appropriately!

Okay, I have some U.S. Dollars, Euros, Mexican pesos, and Hong Kong Dollars that I can throw to the cause!

Comment

[QUOTE=Melyanna]The "outrage" about Dex will come, I imagine, if he stays in the clothes he's got. Those pictures of him are first-look — I'd imagine it'd be pretty weird if he continued to run around in the same clothes he'd been wearing for years while escaping the Wraith. And it'd be equally weird for our first look at him to be in Earth uniform.

I guess the question is whether or not Teyla's attire adds to her character. In my opinion, it detracts from her, because it's distracting.

LOL Sheppard minus his shirt is distracting too but I'm not complaining
                  Woo-Hoo I'm all for Sheppard being practically nekkid .. I'm still holding out for a towel scene or the appearance of the "bug" again where Teyla has to rip off his shirt again Yup I am shallow and admit it ..
                  Bring on nekkid Sheppard and I'm ready for the distraction

Pam

Comment

The "outrage" over Dex might not come until everyone knows what he looks like. I don't and I don't care to - yet. I'm looking forward to s2 and when it comes (or sooner if I happen to spot a pic of him in a SF magazine) I'll be in a position to be outraged, or not. Teyla's been in 20 eps, and in some of them she's been dressed so that I haven't noticed what she's wearing, and in others I've thought "how impractical" and felt that the only thing the outfit has to offer is its flesh-displaying skimpiness; and i've felt sorry for Teyla (insofar as it's possible to feel sorry for a fiction) that she's not given an outfit that is more suitable to fighting, running, hiding and whatnot. Mostly though I wonder how she copes with all that hair. Surely it would get in her face whenever a breeze comes up or whenever she's active.

Madeleine

Comment

her hair is an issue, also, boy it must be warm on atlantis and i do feel sorry for poor rachel. everytime i see behind the scenes photos of the set, everyone is wearing parkas. if it's really that cold, rachel must be freezing

anyone remember the movie Working Girl? In it, one charactre says to another 'if you want to be taken seriously, you have to have serious hair'

that does apply to clothing too. let's say there's an emergency and you have your choice of two doctors

one woman in slacks and a button down shirt with a 'normal' hair style and minimal make up

and another woman who's got on heels, stockings, a short skirt, skimpy top, 10 bracelets, 3 necklaces, dangly earrings, an elaborate and fluffy hair do and makeup that resembles a clown

who do you trust and immediately think 'ok, she knows what she's about'

teyla's costuming only reinforces the idea that she's there for scenery's value. it diminishes the character and reduces her to little more than the token female love interest
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        her hair is an issue, also, boy it must be warm on atlantis and i do feel sorry for poor rachel. everytime i see behind the scenes photos of the set, everyone is wearing parkas. if it's really that cold, rachel must be freezing

anyone remember the movie Working Girl? In it, one charactre says to another 'if you want to be taken seriously, you have to have serious hair'

that does apply to clothing too. let's say there's an emergency and you have your choice of two doctors

one woman in slacks and a button down shirt with a 'normal' hair style and minimal make up

and another woman who's got on heels, stockings, a short skirt, skimpy top, 10 bracelets, 3 necklaces, dangly earrings, an elaborate and fluffy hair do and makeup that resembles a clown

who do you trust and immediately think 'ok, she knows what she's about'

teyla's costuming only reinforces the idea that she's there for scenery's value. it diminishes the character and reduces her to little more than the token female love interest

Dear God. I couldn't find more of an example of exactly what I'm talking about if I tried. You have to be joking.

Or...not?

Well, either way...you're a funny guy.
                        ~*~*~*~*~*
                        not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by John&Teylaalltheway

LOL Sheppard minus his shirt is distracting too but I'm not complaining
                          Woo-Hoo I'm all for Sheppard being practically nekkid .. I'm still holding out for a towel scene or the appearance of the "bug" again where Teyla has to rip off his shirt again Yup I am shallow and admit it ..
                          Bring on nekkid Sheppard and I'm ready for the distraction

Pam
                          There you have it folks. It's in black and white.

A woman is not allowed to be bare or sexy without losing her character and being devalued.

A man with his shirt off, however? Love it! Bring it on! No mention of how shallow he is for being a sex-puppy. Nope.

:::head explodes:::
                          ~*~*~*~*~*
                          not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I'm wondering what happened to the outfit that Teyla wore in Rising... I don't think we've seen it since... at least not the entire ensemble...

*digs deep into pocket and plonks a few dollars into aforementioned jar*
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

^^^
                              Tptb quickly rectified their error in providing her with actual practical clothing in “Rising”. “Jacket and pants. Bad. Low cut tank top and skirt with high slit. Good.” Deleted scene in “Hide and Seek”: Teyla washing those more practical clothes, i.e. the jacket and pants, and hanging them out to dry on one of the balconies on Atlantis. A strong gust of wind comes along a caries said clothing out to sea. Mysteriously the purple tank top number was spared. Mystery solved. Teyla’s Atlantis uniform better be wary. It’s days may be numbered. It obviously was shunned during the Season 2 promo pics.

Now if only the same fate could befall Shepard’s jacket.

*tosses in a $5* If they chose not to use the money to supply Teyla with more substantial clothing, then can we specify that the funds be used to supply the men with less substantial clothing. Equality in the workplace and all……….

Though I’d rather they all remained clothed. *I can be just as shallow seeing Shep all bundled up in a hooded parka. Though the hood would cover his best asset, umm......so I guess they can dress him in anything they like as long as they don’t touch the hair. *
                              Last edited by LoneStar1836; 29 May 2005, 01:18 AM.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                                The "outrage" over Dex might not come until everyone knows what he looks like. I don't and I don't care to - yet. I'm looking forward to s2 and when it comes (or sooner if I happen to spot a pic of him in a SF magazine) I'll be in a position to be outraged, or not. Teyla's been in 20 eps, and in some of them she's been dressed so that I haven't noticed what she's wearing, and in others I've thought "how impractical" and felt that the only thing the outfit has to offer is its flesh-displaying skimpiness; and i've felt sorry for Teyla (insofar as it's possible to feel sorry for a fiction) that she's not given an outfit that is more suitable to fighting, running, hiding and whatnot. Mostly though I wonder how she copes with all that hair. Surely it would get in her face whenever a breeze comes up or whenever she's active.
                                I've seen the pictures of Dex, I didn't feel outraged just bored...They're obviously going for the Conon the Barbarian look for the citizens of Pegasus this series...sigh...

Comment

Working...
                                X