This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iskandra
    Cool! I found out that my name, Alexandra, is on the Czech calendar...on April 21, if I got that right. I think that's incidentally the same day as on the Catholic calendar. But on my birthday it only has the name Boris...did I do something wrong?
    Let's hope Zelenka wasn't born on one of the days that have only female names
    Dear Iskandra. The civilian calendar did not used to be followed that way usually (the day the kid was born = the name he/she got). That used to be a rule for the catholic calendar and catholic families. Normally czech familes use to choose a name from the calendar no matter what day it is. So that Czech people do celebrate a birthday and a nameday as two different days of the year.

BSG-CZ.NET
    People think that I am weird because I watch just and only sci-fi. He he he.

Comment

It really takes all the fun out of a thread like this when you are told you have to follow exacting guidelines. I didn't realize that this was such a serious topic. Since I am American born and not well educated in Czech customs of naming children, I'll just take my opinions elsewhere until the writers and creators of the show give us a clue as to his real name.

Since the writers/creators are American or Canadian, you may want to email them about the naming restrictions. They may get it wrong too...

Comment

Believe me this was NOT meant to be a serious topic. I left for a bit and the fun zipped off somewhere.

Here Fun! Come on Fun, come back now! *glances around hopefully*

Reckon we can get some fun here if we imagine what fun would look like if it was a dog?

I'm a bit crazy today cos I've just been introduced to Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Uh, topic, right... Yes, I really cannot think of anything meaningful too add to this topic now. I guess if the PTB choose a name and don't do a chevron guy on us, I hope the name is pronouncable. Thats the best i can do for ontopicness.
        ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

How about Alexbobcarlosdanieledwardfrankgregharryianjackkyleluckmarcnathanorrinpaulquintin ronstevethomasulyssesvictor
          williamxavieryuri Zelenka?

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
            How about Alexbobcarlosdanieledwardfrankgregharryianjackkyleluckmarcnathanorrinpaulquintin ronstevethomasulyssesvictor
            Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by joanne1138
              Believe me this was NOT meant to be a serious topic. I left for a bit and the fun zipped off somewhere.
              So does this mean I actually haver PERMISSION to post my own ignorant arrogant American ideas for names again? How about Yukio? Bjorn? Azi? Angwyn? Rawiri Zelenka has a nice ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                I don't mind how silly it gets, and apparantly neither does greytop!
                ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

I really admire Hathor for fighting this whole multilinguistic battle. I agree with everything you have posted, but let´s just not make an international conflict out of it Dr Z. rocks eventhough he doesn´t have a first name yet and that´s what counts for me.

And for the funny part. Let´s give him some unpronounceable name like Bedřich, Ondřej or Zachariáš.That would be funny...at least for me as a Czech

Comment

Originally posted by honzix
                    I really admire Hathor for fighting this whole multilinguistic battle. I agree with everything you have posted, but let´s just not make an international conflict out of it Dr Z. rocks eventhough he doesn´t have a first name yet and that´s what counts for me.

And for the funny part. Let´s give him some unpronounceable name like Bedřich, Ondřej or Zachariáš.That would be funny...at least for me as a Czech
                    I have nothing against being educated in the Czech customs. I am actually very well traveled and quite sensitive to the multi-ethnic communities in the US. I just felt that being told I "can't" do that instead of "this is the way we do it" was sucking the fun out of the thread.

I have been through the whole Czech vs Slovak thing before, as I had two friends in NYC, one Czech and one Slovak, that were quite...militant about the difference. LOL! And that was before the fall of the Soviet Union. And they explained the reasons why. But this is a thread that was started for fun so if I want to believe that Zelenka's name sounds better as Alexis Zelenka, that's my perogative. I will just continue to believe that his mother was Russian until TPTB give the poor character a first name...

Would be funny to find out that it is Walter, though... *giggle* Although I do kind of like Zachariáš. Dr. ZZ? He just needs to grow a really long beard! (Obscure American pop reference...)

Comment

Originally posted by meimei
                      I will just continue to believe that his mother was Russian until TPTB give the poor character a first name...
                      I hope he´s not Russian because then he would have to have his second name the same as his father, e.g. if his father is ivan, he would have to be called Ivanovitch. I´m not sure if I wanna see Dr. Vasilij Ivanovitch Zelenka or something similar to that

Comment

Zelenka's mother name is:
                        Annabelacindydorothyelsafranginaheatherimogenejanetkeslannamindynancyolgapaulaqu eenrachealsamtealumavicki
                        willaxena Young-Zelenka.

Comment

With all due respect to the Czech Republic and to upstanding Czech citizens throughout history and all culture-loving people across the globe... would it be remotely possible, PLEASE, if we would be allowed to have fun in this thread and come up with silly names and say what names we personally happen to like without any regard to whether it's a "proper" Czech name and without giving any consideration to the socio-political ramifications of whether or not the names we like are "right"? Please? This USED to be a fun thread, I'd like for it to be that way again.

Comment

Originally posted by honzix

Hello Honziku. That sounds really great. You just found the right option LOL.

My Best, Hathor.

BSG-CZ.NET

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              With all due respect to the Czech Republic and to upstanding Czech citizens throughout history and all culture-loving people across the globe... would it be remotely possible, PLEASE, if we would be allowed to have fun in this thread and come up with silly names and say what names we personally happen to like without any regard to whether it's a "proper" Czech name and without giving any consideration to the socio-political ramifications of whether or not the names we like are "right"? Please? This USED to be a fun thread, I'd like for it to be that way again.
                              No problem buddy, I never ment to hurt anyone's (yours) feelings. My Best, Hathor (the evil girl)

BSG-CZ.NET

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                I look forward to the names you post. It was fun to discuss different names at the beginning of this thread and, at least for me, it was also fun to discuss the ways we name kids in our country. At least you learn something new. I think that the most important thing is that the thread is interesting and that people discuss the subject.And that´s what we do right here and now. If folks want to talk about whether a name is Czech or not, let them do it, because it might be fun for them. Otherwise, they wouldn´t do it,would they?

Comment

Working...
                                X