How would YOU have approached Season 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    I honestly suffer from Ancients fatigue. "ancients did it" basically became a standard plot machine. I think we can have dozens of other sources of cool conflict before we see Ancients again.
    I kind of agree. I think what Universe did wrong was that it was chasing the Ancient's legacy yet again, despite the fact that that's entirely what Atlantis was about. However, I think meeting the Ancients in person is something I personally want more of. They've appeared like 5 times in the entire franchise. I think some solid appearances could be a good thing though it would depend on the context of the appearance. If it's just more "we ****ed up and you're suffering for it but we're not going to help at all because we're awesome and ascended" then I'd rather not. I think a 'lone survivor' type character might be super interesting, similar to Javik from Mass Effect 3, where he wakes up thousands of years into the future and tries to fix his people's mistakes and help the present situation. If we got to know a few Ancients as characters rather than obscure, revered silhouettes far off into the distance I think it could seriously work, especially if there were some dramatic reveals.

True. The Wraith's weakness was power apparently (which seems a retcon), but there should be so many sources of Ancient technology. Previously there was no reason to: before the SGA teams the Wraith were comfortably living the life in their hibernation system. But now, the Wraith actually have pressure to act. The risk of getting Ancient technology is now worth it more than ever.
    Agreed. One of the main reasons that the Wraith have been so unsuccessful with unlocking Ancient technology is because of the ATA gene necessary to activate so much of it. However, given Todd's kind of success with incorporating the ZPM into a Hive who's to say where it could go next? (I realise that it was mostly the underling's work and it was stolen away from Todd, but he must have had at least some input into the research.)

Lastly, it bothered me that the Tria wasn't used. It was damaged, sure but it was operational enough. It pretty much only needed an Asgard Hyperdrive substitute. Although, for all we know the Apollo or Daedalus already towed it on a standard resupply mission and it's being deconstructed as we speak at Area 51 to figure out every secret. I mean, last time they really needed the Orion and it got destroyed before they got any use out of it. This time, they don't really *need* the Tria. The APBW's are giving earth the Firepower it missed previously. So, putting it down and taking it apart could be invaluable compared to just flying it around.
    It's one of the problems that Stargate had, where things were introduced would seriously help the protagonists but kind of had to be purposefully written out or were just forgotten about or even ignored because it would help them too much. However, with the fairly recent (Season 5) discovery that hyperspace windows can be forcibly extended to accommodate at least two ships, it's fairly safe to assume that any of the 304's could do just that and steer the Tria back to Earth for repairs. It would be a cool surprise if that was already under way in secret, although it could be seen as a bit convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
      I kind of agree. I think what Universe did wrong was that it was chasing the Ancient's legacy yet again,
      IMHO the ancients should've perpetually stayed a mystery race. The more SGA showed of them and tried to make them human, the less the Ancient race made sense.

I felt that SGU actually did it much better, representing what i felt the ancients were like. They went on this huge project but before they could truly finish they found something else and went that route. it showed the ancients as they should've been: Absent, only present through their machinations as we're left to guess what for and why.

Agreed. One of the main reasons that the Wraith have been so unsuccessful with unlocking Ancient technology is because of the ATA gene necessary to activate so much of it. However, given Todd's kind of success with incorporating the ZPM into a Hive who's to say where it could go next? (I realise that it was mostly the underling's work and it was stolen away from Todd, but he must have had at least some input into the research.)
      Yea but a bunch of humans could reverse engineer an interface. Why couldn't the wraith? I think the biggest problem for the Wraith was simply cost/benefit. They had no need for the few locked up worlds left, they had a galaxy to themselves. They had all they needed and no wraith was going on suicide missions to achieve some pipedream. It's not until the Expedition came that they truly needed to be at their best.

It's one of the problems that Stargate had, where things were introduced would seriously help the protagonists but kind of had to be purposefully written out
      remember that for every script actually produced, up to ten times as much backstory and plotpoints are thrown in the bin. Fans often remember timelines etc better because they only saw the final iteration. The writers saw dozens of permutations of every story plus the hundreds of episodes never made.

However, yea in the end quite a bit of tech was never used again. In defence however, Stargate has an unusually high rate of technology re-use actually. The whole "never seen again" thing is pretty common on other shows and works, and stargate is one of the few to pull out chekhov's guns from not just seasons past, but from another show entirely. I mean, SGA featured a nightmare creature that referenced an SG1 episode from like 10 year ago.

Comment

Working...
      X