Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, one last question: How big is Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    According to the wikia it's 225 meters in length. Of course everything on there should be taken with a grain of salt, but at least they mention a source; "Stargate Atlantis: The DVD Collection 70". Those are unavailable to me so it's impossible for me to check, but it gives you an idea.
    Same site gives the Prometheus a length of 195 meters which is impossible. The windows on the U shaped platform and the hanger pod doors (so a 302 can fit in) gives a rough length between 300 to 450 meters. Daedalus has to be AT LEAST the same size if not larger.
    Hi There!

Comment

That's because the Stargate Wikia is full of guesswork/speculation, outright fabrications, and treats non-canon sources as being as valid as the episodes themselves.

It shouldn't be trusted under any circumstances.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
        Well, you could estimate the size by comparing the size of the ships which land on the piers...
        We dont' actually know the sizes of the ships, though.
        Sincerely,

Kevin Long
        (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
        http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

But we can guess, based on the size of the hangar pod doors, see McAvoy's post above.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
            We dont' actually know the sizes of the ships, though.
            I know - it was a tongue-in-cheek response.

Comment

Its a pity that unlike starwars or startrek we never got some books going over the ships etc that would have been a good way to answer this..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Its a pity that unlike starwars or startrek we never got some books going over the ships etc that would have been a good way to answer this..
                Hey is that garhkal from DF? You may not remember me but I read a bunch of your posts over there. Cool. It really is a small intraweb, huh? Unless you're not the DF garhkal. Which would be freaky.
                They figured he was a lazy, time-wasting slacker. They were right.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  The Star Trek books came along before all of this vast Star Trek fan sites came to be. Why by the book when you can get better information from a well designed fansite for free? That's why the books never happened.

Comment

And yet, there's no canon tech specs for anything Stargate while there are for Trek and Wars, who have put out many reference guides.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Does anyone actually care about tech specs for fictional space ships? What's the point? I never understood the point of the Star Trek technical manual nonsense.

Comment

People like technical stuff, Snowman. It's just like sports fans who get way too deep into the stats of the sport than the actual sport.
                        Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
                          Anyone got any idea as to the physical dimensions of Atlantis? From the scale of the ships parked there, and the size of windows and whatnot, I'd assume it to be about the size of Manhattan (say 10 or 11 miles in diameter), but I've heard people say as little as two miles, and others say more. I've never heard any official comments, though, and you guys would obviously know if there were.

So: how big is it?
                          There are at least 70+ floors in the central tower, which is the tallest (IIRC). In The Prodigal McKay is complaining about having to climb all of them because the elevators are all out of commission due to Michael invading the city.

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                            People like technical stuff, Snowman. It's just like sports fans who get way too deep into the stats of the sport than the actual sport.
                            Fair enough, I can understand this point of view.

Comment

Working...
                            X