Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These recent giveaways were brilliant, but they've also made me want more of Jo's and Melissa's SGA books.

Still no word on whether MGM have renewed their contract with Fandemonium?!? I was hoping we might have heard something by now.

Cate
    sigpic

...with thanks to the wonderful Bay...

Comment

Originally posted by Cate'sCorner View Post
      These recent giveaways were brilliant, but they've also made me want more of Jo's and Melissa's SGA books.

Still no word on whether MGM have renewed their contract with Fandemonium?!? I was hoping we might have heard something by now.

Cate
      I haven't heard of anything yet.

Did you try Lost Things? (Edit because I hit post before I meant to. ) I was wondering which one you got.
      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Hey, Artie!

I haven't tried Lost Things, no, but I've just registered with goodreads, so hopefully I can still take advantage of this special download.

I've also downloaded Ravens of Falkenrau, but not read it yet. I'm still working my way through my latest SGA - Angelus!

Cate
        sigpic

Comment

Hey, Artie!

I haven't tried Lost Things, no, but I've just registered with goodreads, so hopefully I can still take advantage of this special download.

I've also downloaded Ravens of Falkenrau, but not read it yet. I'm still working my way through my latest SGA - Angelus!

Cate
          Do you read the SG-1 novels too? If so, I recommend A Matter of Time and A Matter of Honor.
          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

I read Ravens and liked it. I'm very partial to the vision of what the city of Alexandria represented and hope for that for the Pegasus Galaxy, but on a wider scale with all the sharing and learning.

Now, I'm working my way through Kindly Ones, only about 10% done. It is a long book and so you will get your money's worth even if it wasn't free. People who want to explore a futuristic setting of a dystopia like the one on "Condemned" might like this story. In this society, criminals are pretty much shunned and treated as they do not exist. There is a lot of level of detail in the implications of it, such as what all careers could stem from such an arrangement, for both the normal people and the so-called ghosts. Shunning seems like it would be an effective punishment to deter Wraith criminals-- make the criminal hiveless, bereft of all comforting telepathic contact and travel among the stars.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
              I read Ravens and liked it. I'm very partial to the vision of what the city of Alexandria represented and hope for that for the Pegasus Galaxy, but on a wider scale with all the sharing and learning.

Now, I'm working my way through Kindly Ones, only about 10% done. It is a long book and so you will get your money's worth even if it wasn't free. People who want to explore a futuristic setting of a dystopia like the one on "Condemned" might like this story. In this society, criminals are pretty much shunned and treated as they do not exist. There is a lot of level of detail in the implications of it, such as what all careers could stem from such an arrangement, for both the normal people and the so-called ghosts. Shunning seems like it would be an effective punishment to deter Wraith criminals-- make the criminal hiveless, bereft of all comforting telepathic contact and travel among the stars.
              I love The Kindly Ones! I'm rereading it too right now. I think my favorite character is Leith. Who do you like?
              sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                I love The Kindly Ones! I'm rereading it too right now. I think my favorite character is Leith. Who do you like?
                I don't have any one picked out yet, but I like the idea of the main character's job as a medium and also the planet where all living things, including the human colonists, have evolved into symbiotic pairs.

Comment

I don't have any one picked out yet, but I like the idea of the main character's job as a medium and also the planet where all living things, including the human colonists, have evolved into symbiotic pairs.
                  It's a really cool idea, isn't it? I love the kinship patterns. The whole book is just such a beautiful piece of worldbuilding. And not to be spoilery, but there is a spaceship sequence later that -- oh I covet that sequence! That's what I strive for when I write space battles.
                  sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

The whole book is just such a beautiful piece of worldbuilding.
                    It does make me feel immersed in a new place, with its own set of inventions and words we don't have. It's like that with historical fiction, too, except I can look up pictures of what I don't know on Google. With Kindly Ones, I read on and pick up unexplained things as I go, through repetition and context.

Comment

It does make me feel immersed in a new place, with its own set of inventions and words we don't have. It's like that with historical fiction, too, except I can look up pictures of what I don't know on Google. With Kindly Ones, I read on and pick up unexplained things as I go, through repetition and context.
                      Melissa's books tend to be so immersive like that. I think you'd like her Five Twelfths of Heaven too. That may be my absolute favorite, though it's a hard choice.

I know what you mean about historical fiction that way, particularly when it's set in a time and place I don't know much about. It's like another planet, even though it's our world!
                      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Do you read the SG-1 novels too? If so, I recommend A Matter of Time and A Matter of Honor.

Hey, Artie!

I had quite a few of the SG1 novels when they first came out, but I have a feeling they were lost with my SGA books when I moved house. So thanks very much for these recs - more goodies for my little Kindle!!

Cate
                        sigpic

Comment

And Survival of the Fittest and City of the Gods.

Comment

Thanks, Hedwig - two more for my ever growing library!!

Cate
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Hedwig - two more for my ever growing library!!

Cate
                              The Honor books and the two I mentioned are my favorites, with "Roswell" close behind.

Comment

Thanks, Hedwig! I think my little Kindle is going to have quite a few additions this weekend

Cate
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X