X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
    I would call "Entanglement" an AU story, especially because
    Spoiler:
    humans were extinct in Pegasus in that reality (!) and the Wraith had different technology and origins, more like a 2nd generation of Wraith.
    That was book #6 in the printing order, too; so, if the publishers changed their minds, they did so a long while back. The AU rule could have also been a rumor; I've seen things posted about Fandy on GW while lurking in other threads and questioned the veracity of some of the claims.
    Yeah, I've seen a bunch of things that don't really seem to be true, both on GW and livejournal.
    sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
      Yeah, I've seen a bunch of things that don't really seem to be true, both on GW and livejournal.
      No. I'm not talking about rumors around the net. This was direct from their website regarding submissions. They don't take cold submissions , first of all, and second of all they plainly stated (this was a year ago, when I was mid-writing the novel) that they WOULD NOT even consider AU timelines about MAJOR CHARACTERS. That's the difference, I'm guessing. My story takes McKay down a different timeline/alternate reality.

These other novels mentioned are slightly different in the way they approach AU, perhaps: If I remember Entanglement correctly, the team went through a Quantum Mirror and found an alternate reality. Their own reality wasn't different. I don't believe I've read the Mobius story, so I cannot comment on it. Regardless, I can't change the past. And what I'm doing now is working for me. : )

Thanks, WraithTech! I've reached 68K on my original novel. Getting there slowly but surely and the buzz about FM really bolsters my spirits and makes me want to keep going.
      Free Stargate ebook. Futura Memoratia. Propelled by mysterious device--a talented linguist travels to Atlantis seeking answers #McKay #alternate universe #romance http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Comment

Well I'm thrilled to have a book to read over the christmas holidays. There are some great writers out there, thank you for sharing your work.

Comment

Originally posted by Socknitster View Post
          They don't take cold submissions
          There was recently an entry posted by Jo about submissions to Fandy: only already published authors can apply because authors receive payment up front and, sadly, there are so many incomplete stories floating around.

*turbo pokes all the fanfic writers out there to finish their chapter-by-chapter stories*

the team went through a Quantum Mirror and found an alternate reality. Their own reality wasn't different.
          Good point. The earlier books were like unaired episodes in between the television episodes and Legacy continues after the episodes, all meant to be within the same contiguous reality.

I've reached 68K on my original novel. Getting there slowly but surely and the buzz about FM really bolsters my spirits and makes me want to keep going.
          I want to read your original novel, too. Please, keep going and keep me posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Princes View Post
            Well I'm thrilled to have a book to read over the christmas holidays. There are some great writers out there, thank you for sharing your work.
            Thank you! Let me know what you think!
            Free Stargate ebook. Futura Memoratia. Propelled by mysterious device--a talented linguist travels to Atlantis seeking answers #McKay #alternate universe #romance http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Comment

There was recently an entry posted by Jo about submissions to Fandy: only already published authors can apply because authors receive payment up front and, sadly, there are so many incomplete stories floating around.

*turbo pokes all the fanfic writers out there to finish their chapter-by-chapter stories*

I want to read your original novel, too. Please, keep going and keep me posted.
              Oh, yes. I completely understand why! It makes complete sense to me! I will keep you posted. I'm aiming for 100K words. So, I've surpassed the 2/3 point and creeping up on 3/4 now. It's hard to get much done this time of year, but I'm getting so close to the end, it's very exciting. I also joined some writers groups and they have read the first chapters and are very excited about reading more (I've been getting some really good critiques on it! Yay!) so it's all synergy...building, building... to the end.

Comment

Some SGA artist concept inspiration source material was posted to eBay recently here.

In particular interest to Legacy, 1) the Wraith hive texture sets really are inspired from marine life, 2) Wraith ships were inspired by the shapes of bird skulls (maybe an Osprey could be one?), and 3) Lantean and Wraith architecture was very much inspired by Arcosanti, which is supposed to be about green living and might relate to an idea like a Roanoke type place.

So that these auction photos are not lost in time, I set up a slideshow of pictures from the auctions, mostly from Frank Lloyd Wright and Paolo Soleri and different possible correlations I found from Googleing architectural works by these and other famous architects:
                http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Comment

Some SGA artist concept inspiration source material was posted to eBay recently here.

In particular interest to Legacy, 1) the Wraith hive texture sets really are inspired from marine life, 2) Wraith ships were inspired by the shapes of bird skulls (maybe an Osprey could be one?), and 3) Lantean and Wraith architecture was very much inspired by Arcosanti, which is supposed to be about green living and might relate to an idea like a Roanoke type place.

So that these auction photos are not lost in time, I set up a slideshow of pictures from the auctions, mostly from Frank Lloyd Wright and Paolo Soleri and different possible correlations I found from Googleing architectural works by these and other famous architects:
                  http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
                  Oh very, very nifty stuff! That is awesome!

I love the bed with the built in stairs next to it. And it's very cool that the textures did come from marine life.
                  sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Let's try these photos again. Photobucket put me a beta mode without my permission, which does not have slideshows, and they literally rearranged all my photos overnight. :/ I had them all organized alphabetically by filename so the architect and SGA stills were side-by-side. This also messes up my alphabetical Wraith hands, tattoos, costumes, and other pics. Photobucket users take note: the new Photobucket will have less storage and a lot less features. Storage used to be unlimited.

It looks like they can be sorted in PB by title only now, not filename. There are 63 photos in this set so far: http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/...tion?start=all

I also found an Osprey skull to compare to the darts:
                    Spoiler:

Last edited by WraithTech; 02 January 2013, 04:56 AM. Reason: correcting link b/c PB keeps changing

Comment

Let's try these photos again. Photobucket put me a beta mode without my permission, which does not have slideshows, and they literally rearranged all my photos overnight. :/ I had them all organized alphabetically by filename so the architect and SGA stills were side-by-side. This also messes up my alphabetical Wraith hands, tattoos, costumes, and other pics. Photobucket users take note: the new Photobucket will have less storage and a lot less features. Storage used to be unlimited.

It looks like they can be sorted in PB by title only now, not filename. There are 61 photos in this set so far: http://s1240.beta.photobucket.com/us...%20Inspiration

I also found an Osprey skull to compare to the darts:
                      Spoiler:

That is seriously, seriously awesome! Wow.

I had no idea.
                      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                        That is seriously, seriously awesome! Wow.

I had no idea.
                        Spending the day with the SGA art staff and discussing their inspirations would be a day of great fun.

I also like to consider what is maybe intuitively figured out by the viewers and how they connect to the images, which were inspired by Nature themselves. Going back another level, many of the of the other SGA architectural elements which were inspired by famous architects were likely inspired by elements of nature too. I can see things which remind me of trilobite fossils in design elements at Arcosanti, marine organisms which may have inspired the Wraith doors and interrogation platform through Arcosanti. It's comforting to see these elements of beauty right here on Earth, not simply elements of imagination.

Comment

Spending the day with the SGA art staff and discussing their inspirations would be a day of great fun.

I also like to consider what is maybe intuitively figured out by the viewers and how they connect to the images, which were inspired by Nature themselves. Going back another level, many of the of the other SGA architectural elements which were inspired by famous architects were likely inspired by elements of nature too. I can see things which remind me of trilobite fossils in design elements at Arcosanti, marine organisms which may have inspired the Wraith doors and interrogation platform through Arcosanti. It's comforting to see these elements of beauty right here on Earth, not simply elements of imagination.
                          Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I always wonder where the showrunners turn for inspiration for set and prop design! I think subconsciously I was actually making connections with bird skulls for the darts...which is just fascinating (but my degree is biology, so maybe not surprising!). I LOVED the direct correlations you drew. I just want to thank you for taking the time to do this. I learned some interesting stuff about architecture that I didn't know and now I REALLY want to know more about Arcosanti. *Goes off to research now*

Comment

Thank you! Let me know what you think!
                            Ive made it to chapter 20 so far am loving it but have to admit I'm missing sheppard and ronon. Nicely writern well tied in with everything and nice character interaction.

Comment

Thanks, Princes!

We're talking about it HERE, if you want to take a peek.

Sheppard and Ronon do make some appearances, but don't figure large. : )

Comment

Thanks, Princes!

We're talking about it HERE, if you want to take a peek.

Sheppard and Ronon do make some appearances, but don't figure large. : )

Comment

Working...
                                X