This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annalalaith View Post

...... So, I keep wondering about the relationship between the anthropologist and Radick.
    Me too! They set up that conflict so nicely early on. There was some nice backstory and there have been a couple of moments. When Radek shows him the glowy fish I was hopeful that something would happen. I wonder if they will resolve this storyline. There isn't a lot of room left for this kind of stuff! Personally, I'd rather have more of this than a few of the other storylines, but that's just me. I can't recall--did they ever explain why they originally broke up? I don't think so. I'd like to re-read the whole series when the final book comes out.
    Free Stargate ebook. Futura Memoratia. Propelled by mysterious device--a talented linguist travels to Atlantis seeking answers #McKay #alternate universe #romance http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Comment

Originally posted by Socknitster View Post
      Me too! They set up that conflict so nicely early on. There was some nice backstory and there have been a couple of moments. When Radek shows him the glowy fish I was hopeful that something would happen. I wonder if they will resolve this storyline. There isn't a lot of room left for this kind of stuff! Personally, I'd rather have more of this than a few of the other storylines, but that's just me. I can't recall--did they ever explain why they originally broke up? I don't think so. I'd like to re-read the whole series when the final book comes out.
      It does seem like they were an item doesn't it.
      sigpic

I think I need a new signature. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet27 View Post
        Every queen here has got some maternal instincts...
        Wanna bet.....you're speaking to a woman who while babysitting two young relatives while suffering from a hangover threw a dvd at them to keep them quiet only to discover nearly an hour later that it was Aliens (in my defence I thought I'd picked up Ghostbusters) and I forgot to feed them until 3pm (I'd had them since about 9am and I still maintain that popcorn is food!)......nope, the cute child thing is utterly lost and wasted on me

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
          Wanna bet.....you're speaking to a woman who while babysitting two young relatives while suffering from a hangover threw a dvd at them to keep them quiet only to discover nearly an hour later that it was Aliens (in my defence I thought I'd picked up Ghostbusters) and I forgot to feed them until 3pm (I'd had them since about 9am and I still maintain that popcorn is food!)......nope, the cute child thing is utterly lost and wasted on me

Heh, sounds like something that would happen in my family.
          sigpic

Comment

I've seen worse, believe me

Comment

I've done worse trust me I just don't want to admit to them........

Comment

Like when my cousin kept drinking medicine out of the cabinet, so after like the third time they had to get his stomach pumped, my aunt told him that if he ever did it again she was gonna let him die. He never did it again.
                sigpic

Comment

Some news from Melissa Scott:

http://mescott.livejournal.com/25034.html

Comment

Well I really dislike the whole Sheppard/Teyla storyline and Torren is a big part of that, but beyond that child characters in books are rarely that interesting. What can you do with them except have them kidnapped, seriously ill or be some kind of child genius/prodigy (I'm guessing that this one is going to fall into the last category)? Not very interesting.

And as for the other one. Darling......Seriously
                    The whole John/Teyla thing is annoying and cringeworthy, spoils the series for me. As for Torren he is like an after thought oh Teyla has a child better stik them in somewhere. Stories work better when lead characters ave te hint of attraction rather tan relationships, John requires the different flirtatious episodes he has tv series rather tan the yucky happy families.

Comment

Originally posted by Princes View Post
                      The whole John/Teyla thing is annoying and cringeworthy, spoils the series for me. As for Torren he is like an after thought oh Teyla has a child better stik them in somewhere. Stories work better when lead characters ave te hint of attraction rather tan relationships, John requires the different flirtatious episodes he has tv series rather tan the yucky happy families.
                      Personally, I think an established relationship is a lot better than the endless tease of will they or won't they, dragged out to ridiculous lengths just to keep them from actually getting together. I prefer adult characters actually having adult relationships and families rather than being perpetually adolescent, dragging around with the kind of misunderstandings and silly angst you'd expect in junior high! And ok, if this is Harry Potter and the characters really are teenagers, that works. But when the main characters are in their thirties and forties, I prefer them to act like adults and actually have relationships and families.
                      sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Yeah but ten we got stuck with the dreadful lets be friends with te wraith ending because John fancied Teyla it ruined te whole series. I also think it undermined Teyla a a character plus it put ronon on the outside of the team.

Comment

I'd like to re-read the whole series when the final book comes out.
                          Good idea. There are likely many writing gems which could be picked up, such as Guide not liking Queen Death's feeding ritual and saying the lifeforce tasted like ashes. That is foreshadowing to Ashes himself.

Originally posted by Annalalaith View Post
                          It does seem like they were an item doesn't it.
                          I never would have guessed it. That's one of the things I enjoy about this thread: seeing things others guess and pick up on. I'll be on the lookout for more.

Some news from Melissa Scott:

http://mescott.livejournal.com/25034.html
                          Thanks for posting.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions about the shipping, but I like happy families and happy people reaching their true potentials.

I don't think any shipping in the books is over-done, nor is Torren. Torren gets less than a page per book and his presence and reactions make sense, fitting the series and not as afterthoughts to me. It was shown in the series he has his mother's telepathic abilities; so, he will cry when Wraith with harmful intentions approach and be at ease when friendly Wraith are near.

I also think Torren and Darling's friendship has to be in the books as the next generation growing up with Keller's new retrovirus. They represent hope and what everyone is fighting for. There will be a new generation of Wraith who have never had to take a life to continue living.

it put ronon on the outside of the team.
                          Give Ronon a chance. His story is not over yet and he will get a chapter in the next book about a choice or two.
                          Last edited by WraithTech; 04 November 2012, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Now see, WraithTech--like that! I didn't pick up on that foreshadowing. I suspect there is a lot more I didn't pick up on. There were several times I was like, wow, this scene is weird--what could be the purpose of it? But sometimes in re-reading a book, you will see the subtle clues that you missed the first time and they are almost like little gifts. I try to put these things in my own work, to enhance the reading experience.

I agree. I like grown ups acting like grown ups. You guys may be too young to remember Moonlighting, but it was a show that I loved and it was praised for the on-again, off-again tumultuous love affair between the two major characters. Once those two characters finally admitted they were in love, the show tanked--but not because of the relationship (IMHO) but because the show was just done, the writers were done, it had already jumped the shark. But people like to hold that up as an example of ships ruining a show. I disagree. People just don't go on forever flirting and never making commitments or at least trying. They may fail at relationships but they will indulge in them. People pair up. It's the way of the world.

And people have kids. It's what they do. I loved that they just wrote Rachell Luttrell's pregnancy into the show.

I LOVE where they are going with the Wraith--it's a wonderful way to cap off the series with something hopeful. That doesn't mean it will end on a perfect note, but the possibility of a resolution at some point in the future is a nice thing to introduce. SGA was stolen from us far too young. . .I'd like to see some kind of hope for the characters at the end of it.
                            Free Stargate ebook. Futura Memoratia. Propelled by mysterious device--a talented linguist travels to Atlantis seeking answers #McKay #alternate universe #romance http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Comment

Now see, WraithTech--like that! I didn't pick up on that foreshadowing. I suspect there is a lot more I didn't pick up on. There were several times I was like, wow, this scene is weird--what could be the purpose of it? But sometimes in re-reading a book, you will see the subtle clues that you missed the first time and they are almost like little gifts. I try to put these things in my own work, to enhance the reading experience.

I agree. I like grown ups acting like grown ups. You guys may be too young to remember Moonlighting, but it was a show that I loved and it was praised for the on-again, off-again tumultuous love affair between the two major characters. Once those two characters finally admitted they were in love, the show tanked--but not because of the relationship (IMHO) but because the show was just done, the writers were done, it had already jumped the shark. But people like to hold that up as an example of ships ruining a show. I disagree. People just don't go on forever flirting and never making commitments or at least trying. They may fail at relationships but they will indulge in them. People pair up. It's the way of the world.

And people have kids. It's what they do. I loved that they just wrote Rachell Luttrell's pregnancy into the show.

I LOVE where they are going with the Wraith--it's a wonderful way to cap off the series with something hopeful. That doesn't mean it will end on a perfect note, but the possibility of a resolution at some point in the future is a nice thing to introduce. SGA was stolen from us far too young. . .I'd like to see some kind of hope for the characters at the end of it.
                              I agree with you.

I like the relationships, and the kids are cool, but they could get into more trouble.
                              sigpic

Comment

There were several times I was like, wow, this scene is weird--what could be the purpose of it? But sometimes in re-reading a book, you will see the subtle clues that you missed the first time and they are almost like little gifts.
                                Definitely! Another possible symbolism that comes to mind is in "The Furies." Ardent yields to Teyla and she leaves blood on his jaw as she touches him. In a way, it's like he was marked for his role in aiding his older sister to needlessly destroy others, human and Wraith alike. He was old enough to know better, but chose wrong, maybe from a combination of cowardice and powerlust. He is a tragic figure in and of himself in that he never truly lived his own life, always riding on the coat tails of Queen Death, just as Queen Death does with the Old One.

I try to put these things in my own work, to enhance the reading experience.
                                It looks like an art. The extras can't be so overstated as to be too obvious, nor can they be too understated as to be missed.

People just don't go on forever flirting and never making commitments or at least trying. They may fail at relationships but they will indulge in them. People pair up. It's the way of the world.
                                Oh, yes, and the older the characters are, the more likely they are to have larger families and more complicated relationship histories. As for other sci-fi couples, I think HanXLeia, AerynXJohn, and ZoeXWash worked well; I certainly rooted for them!

Agreed all the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X