X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annalalaith View Post
    My god you guys read fast.

Spoiler:
    I feel sorry for Rodney, he is trying his best to separate himself from Quicksilver, I wonder if there will be any residual abilities. And I just wanna hug Jennifer.

Does anyone get the feeling that the escaped prisoners are the Firstmothers?
    Spoiler:
    Yes! I've been suspecting that from the moment they stepped into that place! When they said cells, I was like, oh crap, those poor, poor Wraith! No wonder they are so pissed! I hope we get to somehow learn more about how that happened at some point!

I'm at about 30% and trying to savor it. Every time I pick it up I read far more than I intended. I'm a writer too and this book is seriously eating into my writing time this week! It's so addictive. I've been reading a lot of Lois McMaster Bujold lately which is good reading, but doesn't grip me like this does!
    Free Stargate ebook. Futura Memoratia. Propelled by mysterious device--a talented linguist travels to Atlantis seeking answers #McKay #alternate universe #romance http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Comment

Spoiler:
      holy crap! I just read through Tela's dream. The Ancients were such buttmunches! No wonder the Wraith view humans as they do. I'd hate them too if they writhed me out and acted like letches when I bathed.

Arrrrg! Sign of a good writer, making me hate a character or characters.
      sigpic

I think I need a new signature. *sigh*

Comment

Everyone seems to be hating Ancients now. XD I'm curious if it is just a few Ancients who were causing the problems and the majority were clueless, like the Enron scandal, or if they are all portrayed that way. Back in "Homecoming," Teyla said the parents (Ancients) are just like the children (humans) and Woolsey said the Ancients are no different from us.

Comment

I think the Ancients and us are like peas in a pod. But the Atlantis expedition is the best of us, so the new Lanteans are morally head and shoulders above the original Lanteans IMO.

Carson created Michael out of desperation, to try and save lives...

Spoiler:

Death's Clevermen created Quicksilver out of desperation to reach a new feeding ground.

The Ancients created the Wraith at humanity's expense for their own convenience which is entirely different.

I think that in the same way as humans experiment on animals while others protest. The Ancients experimented on humans while others protested.

Hope that makes sense!
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
            I think the Ancients and us are like peas in a pod. But the Atlantis expedition is the best of us, so the new Lanteans are morally head and shoulders above the original Lanteans IMO.

Carson created Michael out of desperation, to try and save lives...

Spoiler:

Death's Clevermen created Quicksilver out of desperation to reach a new feeding ground.

The Ancients created the Wraith at humanity's expense for their own convenience which is entirely different.

I think that in the same way as humans experiment on animals while others protest. The Ancients experimented on humans while others protested.

Hope that makes sense!
            That makes sense. I'm sure there were kind Ancients; but, the ones with the power (who held Atlantis first) were good at abusing their power at the expense of others, even for recreation, as in "The Game."

Comment

Coupla Wraithy icons for youse

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                That makes sense. I'm sure there were kind Ancients; but, the ones with the power (who held Atlantis first) were good at abusing their power at the expense of others, even for recreation, as in "The Game."
                Spoiler:
                In the Old One's story, he realizes that the Ancient scientist he's killing a couple of centuries later has no idea what he is and no knowledge of what happened. It's like blaming someone today for witchcraft trials in the seventeenth century! Yes, it's a bad thing done by their culture, but centuries ago by other people, and they may not even know anything about it.

I think it's also pretty clear that when the rest of the Ancients found out what had happened they shut down the installation on the island. This was something done by a small group of people nine hundred years before Atlantis was hidden. What kind of pogroms and massacres and atrocities were our ancestors responsible for in 1100 AD? Do we even know? Much less, are we responsible for them?
                sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Very pretty! *mental greens, because I'm out of greens at the moment*

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    In the Old One's story, he realizes that the Ancient scientist he's killing a couple of centuries later has no idea what he is and no knowledge of what happened. It's like blaming someone today for witchcraft trials in the seventeenth century! Yes, it's a bad thing done by their culture, but centuries ago by other people, and they may not even know anything about it.

I think it's also pretty clear that when the rest of the Ancients found out what had happened they shut down the installation on the island. This was something done by a small group of people nine hundred years before Atlantis was hidden. What kind of pogroms and massacres and atrocities were our ancestors responsible for in 1100 AD? Do we even know? Much less, are we responsible for them?
                    I think it's more a case of us doing things now that seem similar to what the Ancients did, e.g. Michael.

There's also

Spoiler:
                    The Queens' genetic memories of the Firstmothers - that hatred they had for the Ancients has stayed with the lineage of the Queens. And the Queens transfer those feelings to the rest of the Wraith

The resurgence of the Lanteans (Ancient or otherwise) could be what spurred the Old One into joining Queen Death in the first place. That deep-seated hatred probably re-emerged as soon as Atlantis rose again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
                      Spoiler:

Thanks, this makes sense too. It didn't seem like the style of the authors to want the fans to dislike entire groups of characters, but, rather to show similarities among all. One of the best things about these books is different fans seeing things about the others characters they didn't see before, mirrored in themselves and in their favorite characters.

Comment

But why does it seem that the ancients always left their experiments for someone else to clean up? Did they have an it-is-somebody-else's-problem-field generator? I mean they could have tried to clean up the mess, instead they hid the records and pretended that none of it happened.
                        sigpic

I think I need a new signature. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Annalalaith View Post
                          But why does it seem that the ancients always left their experiments for someone else to clean up? Did they have an it-is-somebody-else's-problem-field generator? I mean they could have tried to clean up the mess, instead they hid the records and pretended that none of it happened.
                          Probably for the same reasons I'm happy to not know what all happened in 1100 AD on Earth that Artie mentioned. I wish the Ancients would have tried using their near-Ascended knowledge and healing abilities to help Wraith (and Asurans) instead of trying to wipe them out though.
                          Last edited by WraithTech; 17 August 2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Oh, cool. Very, very cool sueKay!
                            Free Stargate ebook. Futura Memoratia. Propelled by mysterious device--a talented linguist travels to Atlantis seeking answers #McKay #alternate universe #romance http://bit.ly/PPFU6c

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                              Probably for the same reasons I'm happy to not know what all happened in 1100 AD on Earth that Artie mentioned. I wish the Ancients would have tried using their near-Ascended knowledge and healing abilities to help Wraith (and Asurans) instead of trying to wipe them out though.
                              Agreed. I don't believe Ancients and humans are entirely alike. I think the Ancients were more universally devoted to science. The whole city is a big science complex, after all. Meanwhile, only a small subset of humans is similarly devoted, right? I think they were rather stoic, dispassionate and cold. That's the feeling I always got every time they appeared anyway. They liked to give out punishments for small infractions and had very little concern for the plight of others. Consider the Ancient woman trapped, forced to protect a planet in Sanctuary. She was ascended and seemed to experiment with the idea of falling in love with Sheppard, but couldn't bring herself to break any rules. I believe they stayed true to their essence once ascended. A different state of being, but same attitudes toward life and other people. That's my take anyway, and that's the way I've portrayed them in my own fan fiction. Should anyone care to read my novel length fic, let me know. It's alternate universe. I wrote it to hone my craft and am now 6 chapters into an original novel. I haven't posted it anywhere yet.

Comment

For those waiting on the print editions or those who are curious lurkers, Smashwords has the first 20% of "Secrets" posted, as a preview for the book:
                                http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/215239

Originally posted by Socknitster View Post
                                I believe they stayed true to their essence once ascended.
                                Good point. 'Ascended' does not necessarily equate to 'enlightened' in every sense.

You should post your fanfics somewhere.
                                Off-topic:
                                Spoiler:
                                I prefer deviantArt for best control options, visibility to SG groups, and stability. Fanfiction does not have options to disable comments and Livejournal periodically purges accounts with low activity levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X