This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
    Maybe the Travelers started out by picking abandoned Ancient ships and scavenging from Ancient cities to maintain their ships. Over the years these resources became scarce.
    Larrin talks about building new ships in the past. This isn't quite the same as scavenging from Ancient ships and cities to maintain existing ships

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
    Elizabeth in her pseudo-ascended replicator form told the Lanteans there are civilisation in Pegasus that are technologically advanced. These may also be a source of tech for the Travelers.
    The Genii managed to develop technology while hiding underground so it's not impossible for other civilisations to have done the same. I don't see how any of these civilisations could have built an entire fleet of spaceships, though.

Anyway, back to TPTB. They wanted to bring in a race of technologically advanced humans and decided that the way to do it was -

We'll just put them in ships.
    And so they did without giving any real explanation. Traveller history is left to us fans to speculate about.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
      And so they did without giving any real explanation. Traveller history is left to us fans to speculate about.
      And there's that terrible word again. Just think, if everybody speculated, there'd probably be an upsurge in... oh, I dunno... fiction... which could, well... lead to stories. Scandalous! We'll have to watch out for that speculate thingy more carefully.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
        And there's that terrible word again. Just think, if everybody speculated, there'd probably be an upsurge in... oh, I dunno... fiction... which could, well... lead to stories. Scandalous! We'll have to watch out for that speculate thingy more carefully.
        And what if some people speculated...differently? How would you know what was right if people just did all different things depending on what they wanted to do?
        sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Just to clarify, in case I have been misunderstood in any of this, I don't have a problem with speculating, as that is how fanfics can be made, and thinking of the possibilities is fun for me. I do have a problem with a faction of Wiki writers converging on this thread and presenting their speculations as though they are facts in order to preclude the fanfics and books of others *points to the post where Leeta addressed said trolls.*

Comment

Originally posted by Artie View Post
            And what if some people speculated...differently? How would you know what was right if people just did all different things depending on what they wanted to do?
            sigpic

Comment

wow, that's very weird!! yes, I agree naming them is just cheapening it all. Dont know why people write these books that have no connection to the series...

Comment

Originally posted by orbofnight View Post
                Yes, I am defending the authors' rights to chose which directions they wanted to take in the books (for names, reproduction, knowledge transfer, and so forth), based on lack of concrete facts presented in the show, which I have cited.

That is the crux of the reason so many canon-aware people have a sudden interest in this thread, isn't it, to challenge what it canon for their Wikis? Sorry, but that is off-topic here.
                Wikis? Defending author's rights? What are you even talking about anymore? Who's taking away anyone's rights with some barely critical posts on an Internet forum?

Did you even go so far as to call me a troll in post #88?

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                wow, that's very weird!! yes, I agree naming them is just cheapening it all. Dont know why people write these books that have no connection to the series...
                Oh, you're gonna get it now buddy. Better find a bridge to hide under quick! Or maybe a sock drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                  orbofnight has a link to one of the author's blogs where Wraith names are explained. Basically, a name is a translation of how a Wraith 'feels' telepathically.

It was never firmly established in the show that Wraith don't have some version of names or ways of distinguishing individuals when talking about each other. Wraith Defenders Club members speculated about this and came up with various ideas. One involved providing a telepathic image of an individual who was being referred to in conversation eg - If Todd was telling another Wraith who his second in command is he'd transmit an image of Kenny. This method could be used on TV or in a movie by providing the viewer with a visual image but it wouldn't work in a book.

WDC members adopted Sheppard's policy of giving Wraith names because it makes life a lot easier for us when discussing Wraith in the show. For example, we named one Gawain but if I want to refer to this Wraith outside the WDC I have to say something like "the Sateda hunter who walked down a corridor and discovered Ronon clinging to the ceiling".

TPTB didn't bother to invent an in depth culture for the Wraith - they were just treated as big, bad aliens for the Atlantis expedition to shoot or blow up. They could have invented some kind of naming system for them but they took the easy way out by having Sheppard give them human names if a name was needed for plot purposes. It's fine for the Atlantis expedition people to talk about Todd and Kenny but Wraith wouldn't use those names when talking about Todd and Kenny with other Wraith.

The way I see it, then, is that the authors came up with a way of giving Wraith names for easy reference but invented an alien system for the naming.
                  Last edited by ciannwn; 17 March 2011, 01:43 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn
                    ...For example, we named one Gawain but if I want to refer to this Wraith outside the WDC I have to say something like "the Sateda hunter who walked down a corridor and discovered Ronon clinging to the ceiling". ...

...It's fine for the Atlantis expedition people to talk about Todd and Kenny but Wraith wouldn't use those names when talking about Todd and Kenny with other Wraith.

Not having names also allows for easier objectification, and relegation to 'evil, life-sucking, green bugs!!11!1!', so that death and mayhem can be wrought on Wraith with impunity. Which suits the remit of the show i.e. cast humans in a heroic light, but I prefer my stories a little more subtle, and to have greater depth. Thus far, Jo Graham and Melissa Scott have not disappointed and, that the development of speculation has not detracted from the adventures of Team Shep, is evidence of their skills as writers and to their credit. Kudos for writing in difficult circumstances, say I.
                    sigpic

Comment

Not having names also allows for easier objectification, and relegation to 'evil, life-sucking, green bugs!!11!1!', so that death and mayhem can be wrought on Wraith with impunity. Which suits the remit of the show i.e. cast humans in a heroic light,
                      This is true. I'm now going back to something which was raised in the opening post.

Originally posted by Hagazussa View Post
                      My main problem with the Wraith being named is that it is a major mystery in the series why the Wraith never give their names, to just name them cheapen that. Now there are a few scenes in the series where the Wraith speak amongst themselves with no humans present and they do not use names then either, they refer to one another by position in the Hive, something which is rather natural.
                      Humans in Western society often refer to individuals by a title or position. Some examples are "I saw the Queen at Ascot" (which I did when I went to an Ascot horse racing day many years ago). ""I'll ask the receptionist if we can book our room for another night." "The Colonel won't be happy about that."

As for lack of Wraith names being a major mystery in the series, all we can really say is that TPTB never got round to inventing a naming system in 5 seasons. TPTB expected a 6th season but didn't get it. They added bits and pieces about Wraith culture as they went along so they might have ended the mystery themselves by inventing a naming system if a Season 6 plot required it.

SGA was supposed to have been continued in movies - as these movies never materialised we have no idea what would have been in them. TPTB could have invented a Wraith naming system if a movie plot required it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                        orbofnight has a link to one of the author's blogs where Wraith names are explained. Basically, a name is a translation of how a Wraith 'feels' telepathically.
                        Thanks, Ciannwn, the link was posted on the first page of this thread.

Also, within SGA, we were given this conversation in "The Hive":

SHEPPARD: OK, tell me this: how else could I get my hands on a Dart? And who else could provide me with specific instructions on how to infiltrate your hive and destroy it?

HIVE QUEEN: Of which queen do you speak?
                        http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2...ipts/211.shtml

What is John supposed to say? The Queen with the pale skin, long hair, and stylish dress?

...I prefer my stories a little more subtle, and to have greater depth. Thus far, Jo Graham and Melissa Scott have not disappointed and, that the development of speculation has not detracted from the adventures of Team Shep, is evidence of their skills as writers and to their credit. Kudos for writing in difficult circumstances, say I.
                        These books are wonderful! They have plenty of surprises for the adventurous readers as well as layers of themes for the analytical readers who want to ponder things like the influence of power or who decides what individuals are worth.

Comment

book depository says still waiting on publication.
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                            book depository says still waiting on publication.
                            Might be easier to just go somewhere else, a lot of members on here have it in the book form already.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just order it directly from Fandy.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I found it at Barnes & Noble and read it over the weekend.

Spoiler:
                                I never even considered that the Wraith would reverse-Michael Rodney. That was a cool plot twist.

Overall, it didn't feel like much happened though. Another potential diplomatic crisis with the Genii and a whole subplot about Atlantis adapting to ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X