This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    I get the feeling you're making broad sweeping generalisations about the demographics without having looked at the numbers.
    I did look at the numbers, it was posted on gateworld at the news section. its not hard to imagine, female demographic like shows that are light and funny, while men go for shows like prison break or Spartacus. and 99% of all the outspoken SGU-hating fans are women, no doubt upset about the SGA cancellation. SGU lost its appeal to women once they saw the closet sex scene, add to that the fact that women played a role in SGU that is different from the previous stargate shows.

and I'm guessing, John Sheppard had alot to do with attracting women to Atlantis. In fact out of all three shows, Atlantis seems to have the most female fans. maybe because it was grounded in that Xenia the warrior princess setting or because it had female characters in powerful roles.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
      I did look at the numbers, it was posted on gateworld at the news section.
      Do you have a link, or is this another in the long line of articles you 'remember' reading? I'm fairly certain that while the female demographic was lower for SGU than it was for SGA, it certainly was not non existent.

its not hard to imagine, female demographic like shows that are light and funny, while men go for shows like prison break or Spartacus.
      Ridiculous generalization.

and 99% of all the outspoken SGU-hating fans are women, no doubt upset about the SGA cancellation.
      You've done a survey have you? Please stop with these ridiculous baseless assertions, you're just pulling statistics off the top of your head now.

SGU lost its appeal to women once they saw the closet sex scene, add to that the fact that women played a role in SGU that is different from the previous stargate shows.
      Prove it. Though the number of female fans in the SGU section is pretty clear evidence to the contrary.

and I'm guessing, John Sheppard had alot to do with attracting women to Atlantis. In fact out of all three shows, Atlantis seems to have the most female fans. maybe because it was grounded in that Xenia the warrior princess setting or because it had female characters in powerful roles.
      No one's disputing that SGA did well in the female demographic, just the frankly bizarre claim that SGU doesn't attract any female viewers at all.

Comment

Thank you Kek.

Comment

female demographic like shows that are light and funny, while men go for shows like prison break or Spartacus
          Oh, please!

Just because we happen to be females, doesn't mean that we all like the same things. Generalizations are not your friend, trust me on this.
          Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

its not hard to imagine, female demographic like shows that are light and funny, while men go for shows like prison break or Spartacus.
            speaking as a member of the female demographic i find such generalisation to be insulting... the majority of shows i watch are sci fi or crime shows... i like shows that make me think (or teach me something), that have interesting and strong characters, that are clever in their humour... i also enjoy shows with social storylines and that deal with the human condition...

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            The show was on an upward trend you can follow before and after he was on the show, if you knew that already then trying to claim that Joe's appearance is what caused the rise in viewers is slightly disingenuous, no?
            yes the show was on an upwards trend and im not questioning that... but the episode that knocked sga's pilot ep out of its top rating place was ep 5 of warehouse 13 - the ep joe was in...

you were suggestinging that MS was
            ...a bigger draw to old fans than any SGA character would be.
            and i was merely pointing out that sga characters do have a following...

was i saying it is solely because of him NO, but some of that spike in numbers can surely be attributed to fans following him over... have you never watched a show because someone you like from something else is in it - i know i have...

followed AT to s4 of sga (now seen whole series) and sanctuary...
            followed catherine bell from jag to army wives...
            followed melina kanakranedes from providence to csi ny (although i also wanted to check out the latest incarnation)
            followed scarlett pomers from voyager to reba...
            started watching ncis because it was a jag spin off but was also interested in seeing michael weatherly (dark angle) again...

and thats what im getting at - while the entire leap in viewers would never be solely attributable to joe, i dont think it a coincidence that the ratings high happened at ep 5 instead of ep 4 when claudia was introduced for eg... and im not the only one who thinks that joe's guestspot played a part no matter how big or small it may actually have been given i only found out about the record from a friend who told me 'joes ep of wh13 had the most viewers in the history of the sy fy ch'...
            Last edited by katjoy; 19 July 2010, 01:43 AM.
            "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

The only reason this has been done is to answer some of the SGA questions, given that TPTB must know that the SGA movie has very little chance of ever seeing the screen. This is their way of giving the fans something onscreen to tie a couple of things up at least. Its better than nothing so it should be interesting!!

Must say the first few posts on this thread made me laugh. So much hate, even this long after it was cancelled.
              sigpic

Comment

I did look at the numbers, it was posted on gateworld at the news section. its not hard to imagine, female demographic like shows that are light and funny, while men go for shows like prison break or Spartacus. and 99% of all the outspoken SGU-hating fans are women, no doubt upset about the SGA cancellation. SGU lost its appeal to women once they saw the closet sex scene, add to that the fact that women played a role in SGU that is different from the previous stargate shows.

*headdesk*

Dude, for Pete's sake, can you think before posting something? Or are you trying to be insulting on purpose? Because what you just wrote isn't just a ridiculous generalisation (like others already said); it can be seen as chauvinistic one. The whole "women like only light, funny shows,* are prudes and yet will watch anything if it has attractive male lead" thing? DON'T GO THERE.

Btw, here on the forum I've seen more guys offended by the sex scenes than women.

As for more women hating SGU, has it occured to you that majority of Stargate fandom is female? Of course there are many women who don't like SGU - it's proportional to their general number in fandom. But even casual glance into SGU folder will tell you there are just as many, if not more, female fans as there are male ones and male fans write just as many posts critical of SGU as females do.

How is women's role on SGU different than in previous SG shows?

As for JF attracting women (and not all women, mind you) while it is true to some degree it works both ways. Sam, Vala, Janet on SG-1; Teyla, Elisabeth, Jennifer on SGA; Chloe, TJ, Camille on SGU - all of them are very attractive women who undoubtedly attracted some male viewers to the shows.

*Historically light, funny works were always looked down upon as something less complicated and intelligent than drama; comedy was for children, women and uneducated masses, drama was for men.
                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

maybe "light/funny shows" wasnt accurate. but you guys have to know that my generalizations arent based on gateworld members. you can accuse me of sexism all you want (your favorite weapon of choice) but sci fi in general doesnt appeal to the majority of women. add to that, gritty sci fi like SGU is even more prone to being abandoned by the majority of women. I can give you a list of all TV shows that are fueled by female audiences and youll find they share something in common.
                  Last edited by Duneknight; 19 July 2010, 02:15 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

maybe "light/funny shows" wasnt accurate. but you guys have to know that my generalizations arent based on gateworld members. you can accuse me of sexism all you want (your favorite weapon of choice) but sci fi in general doesnt appeal to the majority of women. add to that, gritty sci fi like SGU is even more prone to being abandoned by the majority of women. I can give you a list of all TV shows that are fueled by female audiences and youll find they share something in common.

I'd *really* shut up if I were you.... and that's coming from ME.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

it is not a weapon of choice (this comment itself being sexist)... replies are an observation that the comments in question are based on gender generalisation and insulting to many...

as for sci fi not appealing to the 'majority of women', what is you definition of majority?? because you just need to look at numerous threads all over gateworld to see that A LOT of females of all ages post... and you just have to look at this thread to see that many females have stated that they are fans of sgu...
                      "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

51% is a majority. But it doesn't mean much does it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
                            it is not a weapon of choice (this comment itself being sexist)...
                            my point exactly. anyway I'm not gonna discuss this with someone who has a feminist quote in his signature. because your beliefs derail your judgment. and I get the sense you just wanna pick a fight
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by raiyen View Post
                              Don't forget that JF did take the People's Choice Award with him on the last day of shooting. I'm sure JM has not forgotten about that.
                              and? but? so?

Someone had to carry it off the stage.

Let's remember please that hte topic of this thread is 'thoughts on the sga/sgu crossover' not 'my personal interpretation of events'.

There is no reason to go starting a whole 'conspiracy theory' on peoples' relationships. It's called muckraking and really not cool. It also flirts with the 'respect others' rule.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

my point exactly. anyway I'm not gonna discuss this with someone who has a feminist quote in his signature. because your beliefs derail your judgment. and I get the sense you just wanna pick a fight
                                im a female...

if my beliefs derail my judgement so do yours and everyone elses... we are all biased to some extent by our beliefs, but if we all respect each other then sharing our opinions can be constructive...

and i dont want to pick a fight at all... that is never the intention of my posts... my intention was two fold: 1) a sexist comment is a sexist comment regardless of whether the OP believes it is or not... sexism/sexist has a defintion... 2) such comments are considered insulting by many people and are not necessary or relevant to the conversation...

Comment

Working...
                                X