This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Sheppard branch of service?

I don't think this has been covered yet but if it has could someone point me in the right direction. My question involves Lt. Col. John Sheppard's branch of service in the United States Military. I've been thinking and I think Sheppard is Air Force but I can't remember ever seeing Sheppard in Air Force dress blues. Nor can I remember ever seeing him wear a patch that would distinguish himself as Air Force. Also in the pilot episode of SGA, Sheppard says he is qualified to fly the V-22 Osprey which if I'm not mistaken is only used by the United States Marine Corps. He also says he is qualified to fly the AH-64 Apache which is only used (again that I know of) by the U.S. Army. Can someone clear this matter up for me. Thanks.

He is definatly Air Force. It is said multiple times and you will note in Sunday he is wearing an Air Force Class A
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Jelgate is correct.

As for Sheppard being qualified to fly aircraft that aren't flown by the Air Force, it's been suggested among the fandom (and bits of information in episodes like The Eye and Outcast) that Sheppard may have been in Special Operations prior to Atlantis. Each branch of the US military does have its own Special Ops command, but they can and often do run joint missions, so it's a reasonable assumption that Sheppard may have gotten his qualifications for such a joint-force mission.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Thank you very much. I forgot about that episode, and the part about Sheppard being special ops makes sense to me and it does explain his proficiency with aircraft/heliocopters used by other branches of the military.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          He is definatly Air Force. It is said multiple times and you will note in Sunday he is wearing an Air Force Class A
          Originally posted by stargatefan7693 View Post
          I don't think this has been covered yet but if it has could someone point me in the right direction. My question involves Lt. Col. John Sheppard's branch of service in the United States Military. I've been thinking and I think Sheppard is Air Force but I can't remember ever seeing Sheppard in Air Force dress blues. Nor can I remember ever seeing him wear a patch that would distinguish himself as Air Force. Also in the pilot episode of SGA, Sheppard says he is qualified to fly the V-22 Osprey which if I'm not mistaken is only used by the United States Marine Corps. He also says he is qualified to fly the AH-64 Apache which is only used (again that I know of) by the U.S. Army. Can someone clear this matter up for me. Thanks.
          Sheppard is totally Air Force.

Comment

Sheppard is/was USSOCOM with the Air Force. As a pilot, he would have been cross trained in multiple vehicles in order to run ops with joint forces, which would include the Osprey and several other aircraft (probably how he picked up flying an F-302 so easily). It was after his little "incident" in his past that he was transferred to McMurdo AFB, probably as punishment. (and trust me, its punishment)

Comment

Very few military members on Atlantis wore a dress uniform. Only the USAF members were ever seen wearing one.

USAF/ USMC= wore standard SGC style uniform/ standard BDU outfits.

Foreign military= wore black/ blue BDU

I was always dissapointed that the foreign military members didn't wear their normal country specific uniforms, but that the USMC did. The foreign guys even used American weapons/ equipment. The only foreign thing was the flag on their shoulder, since they were never given names.

Comment

Working...
              X