This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another plothole???

I was just watching BAMSR season 4 SGA again and I noticed that when Lt. Kemps team dialed in, refugees came through the gate but there was over 2000 people in that settlement, how was all the refugees supposed to fit in atlantis??? Plothole??

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Originally posted by Col. Rose View Post
    I was just watching BAMSR season 4 SGA again and I noticed that when Lt. Kemps team dialed in, refugees came through the gate but there was over 2000 people in that settlement, how was all the refugees supposed to fit in atlantis??? Plothole??
    As was clearly stated in the episode. The refugees were being relocated, they weren't being brought to Atlantis. They were only being brought back to Atlantis while suitable planets could be found for them, because it was one massive rush to get everyone out of harms way due to the Replicator's sudden attacks on human worlds.

And you think 2000 people wouldn't fit in Atlantis anyway? At that stage they had a ZPM powering the entire city. Atlantis is comparable in size to Manhattan Island which has a population of 1,620,867 (wikipedia I know probably not 100% accurate but close enough).

Do you really think the Atlantis expedition was taking up all that space?

I don't see a plot hole sorry.

EDIT: Oh and the Manhattan Island tidbit came from http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/City-ship
    I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

But they wouldn't let them stay in most of the city because of all the restricted areas and they wouldn't trust them not to mess with anything that might be senstive, not to mention much of the city is still unexplored

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Comment

I am sure not every single part in Atlantis contains a button titled "Blow up the city"...there would be plenty of places, in a city the size of Manhatten, to store people for a while that wouldn't cause much damage....especially under military guard.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Rose View Post
          But they wouldn't let them stay in most of the city because of all the restricted areas and they wouldn't trust them not to mess with anything that might be senstive, not to mention much of the city is still unexplored
          Ah! Now this is something worth discussing!!!

Thus far to my knowledge, nobody native to the Pegasus galaxy has been found to possess the ATA gene bar Ancients themselves. I surmise that this was put in place by the Ancients themselves to maintain their superiority over their creations! Remember....arrogant! Therefore nobody should theoretically be able to activate or use any technology of significance.

Now as we know some of the Ancient technology only requires people with the ATA gene to initialize the technology, then it can be used by anyone. This I can see as a possible problem, however most technology that is initialized in the 'suburbs' as they call it, is either turned off to save power which would mean somebody with the ATA gene would need to turn it on and know how to do so. Or if it is useful has been moved to the control tower.

You can see evidence of this in such episodes as Tao Of Rodney as they were trekking through and shutting down technologies and also in Sanctuary where the Life Signs Detector was moved to the control room where it was initialized by Chaya herself.

In that regard I don't believe there would be any technology of significance in the 'suburbs' for anybody to really tamper with.

Now as for the rest, doors can easily be closed and locked to limit movements through designated towers. Also Atlantis now possesses a much larger expedition contingent as opposed to when they first arrived, it would be much easier to post guards and keep an eye on any guests.

Not to mention now they do have the life signs detector initialized, and we know that focusing it on a certain point, like say the control room doesn't take much power, so they could easily re-focus it on a tower or two where guests were being houses. This would allow the control room to track the guests movements easily and make sure they weren't up to anything.

Also at the point in time where BAMSR takes place, I believe much if not all of the East Pier of Atlantis had been explored by Rodney's science teams in Season 3, mostly to shut down and conserve power for the one ZPM.

If you compare the size of that pier to the total city size, it could be estimated that at least 2-300,000 people could be housed on that pier alone. Not to mention the rest of the Central Tower group which the rest of the expedition aren't using, it must house at least a minimum of 100,000 to a max of maybe 200,000.

Now due to Wraith culling you can imagine there aren't too many people living within the Pegasus Galaxy. Not to mention I quote John the 150,000 already killed by the Replicators (That was stated in The Seer).

Now given this information I believe much of the population of the Pegasus Galaxy could be housed safely within Atlantis, and controlled easily, at least until relocation to safe planets out of the Replicator's path were located (Aka worlds the Replicators thought were unpopulated/destroyed by the Wraith).

That was a good question, hope I answered it sufficiently for you.
          I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Comment

Originally posted by WraithHumor View Post
            Now given this information I believe much of the population of the Pegasus Galaxy could be housed safely within Atlantis, and controlled easily, at least until relocation to safe planets out of the Replicator's path were located (Aka worlds the Replicators thought were unpopulated/destroyed by the Wraith).
            you've only got the tiny problem of food
            - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
            - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
            - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
            - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

Originally posted by rens14 View Post
              you've only got the tiny problem of food
              Like I said, only a temporary relocation so really water was all they needed, and we know from Rising that the city possesses many large water tanks to hold rainwater, enough to sustain the city.

Even so by the time of BAMSR Earth was also in possession of Asgard technology including the matter creators/replicators as used in Unending to create enough food and water to sustain the SG-1 team aboard the Odyssey.

It should also be noted, that it was mentioned somewhere that the Ancients also possessed such technology but we never saw them, or heard of them being used.

Though with the rainwater supplies of Atlantis, and the matter creation technology provided to Earth by the Asgard as part of their dying legacy. I still believe it would be possible to sustain that many people. Especially if only for a short time while finding an alternate, safe planet.

Comment

I've actually made a boo boo in my original line of thought. There were actually people in Pegasus who had the ATA gene as in 'The Tower' the Royal family with the bloodline.

Sorry for that folks and a massive cheer out to Karhedron for finding that boo boo. Thanks.

Although I still believe a section of the city would be safe to secure guests in, it is still unlikely they could find the correct switch to activate the shutdown consoles even with the ATA gene.

Comment

I've actually made a boo boo in my original line of thought. There were actually people in Pegasus who had the ATA gene as in 'The Tower' the Royal family with the bloodline.

Sorry for that folks and a massive cheer out to Karhedron for finding that boo boo. Thanks.

Although I still believe a section of the city would be safe to secure guests in, it is still unlikely they could find the correct switch to activate the shutdown consoles even with the ATA gene.

well also you gotta figure

People in Control room > some random village hick with ATA gene

so i think they would shut down anything dangerous from control room and theres no way some random villager would be able to figure out the system to hack in and reactivate anything

Comment

lol, it would have been good if a large chunk of the Pegasus population were evacuated to Atlantis, keeping such a large population supplied by using a combination of Asgard/ Ancient technology. Then it would have been absolutely awesome if there was a proper Siege of Atlantis stretching across an entire season or 2 - with Atlantis being fully powered with 3 ZPM's, and Earth doing its best to hold out/ turn the tide on the Wraith (who would have united again back into one super-alliance) - you could have had Atlantis under attack, with the shields holding (maybe submerged?) and then continue with the everyday exploration episodes through the stargate but with the siege of Atlantis running in the background of those stories - and have stories linking back into the siege on occassions (i.e. a new experiment ancient research post, warship or something which could be used to break the siege/ tip things in Atlantis's favour) as well as stand alone episodes.

I reckon if that had happened, it would have added a whole new set of tensions/ sense of high stakes to Atlantis - and provided opportunity for tons of really good story's and character development... as well as kept fans glued to the edge of their seats to find out just how Atlantis ends, and whether humanity triumphs or falls in Pegasus (with Earth being at stake should Atlantis fall).

Comment

Originally posted by ianjones1246 View Post
                      as well as kept fans glued to the edge of their seats to find out just how Atlantis ends, and whether humanity triumphs or falls in Pegasus (with Earth being at stake should Atlantis fall).
                      Of course humanity would win in the end. They're the most wonderful, amazing and super race in the entire universe so the Wraith wouldn't be allowed to triumph. (The words wonderful, amazing and super are to be read with sarcasm.)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                        Of course humanity would win in the end. They're the most wonderful, amazing and super race in the entire universe so the Wraith wouldn't be allowed to triumph. (The words wonderful, amazing and super are to be read with sarcasm.)
                        lol! I love it!

Comment

Ah! Now this is something worth discussing!!!

{SNIP}
                          Greened.

Comment

As was clearly stated in the episode. The refugees were being relocated, they weren't being brought to Atlantis. They were only being brought back to Atlantis while suitable planets could be found for them, because it was one massive rush to get everyone out of harms way due to the Replicator's sudden attacks on human worlds.

And you think 2000 people wouldn't fit in Atlantis anyway? At that stage they had a ZPM powering the entire city. Atlantis is comparable in size to Manhattan Island which has a population of 1,620,867 (wikipedia I know probably not 100% accurate but close enough).

EDIT: Oh and the Manhattan Island tidbit came from http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/City-ship

Well Atlantis is as big as manhattan too. How many people do you think the city could have housed at the peak of Atlantean society?

Plus it's big enough that that doctor brought her car... Or was that a joke?
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Agreed. The city is more than big enough to temporally house them until a suitable planet was found.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X