Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Did the Wraith Stop Attacking Atlanits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
    this question is born from the
    "Why didn't the ancients fly atlantis back to MW?" Thread which can be found here
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...52#post9763152

My question is, assuming it was perfectly logical for the ancients to leave atlantis where it was, why did the wraith just leave it there?

why didnt they blast it to hell. i mean 2 hive ships attacked atlantis in the episode "the seige" and one zpm would have lasted a day or something.

No way would 3 zpm last insanely long even with atlantis being under water. so they could have destroyed atlantis, why didn't they?

and why didn't they try to claim it as thier own, or steal the lantean technology?
    When Atlantis was abandoned there would have been no drones been fired from the city or Ancients traveling through the Stargate. So the Wraith must have thought they destroyed Atlantis.

Comment

My guess is they gave up. Knowing they did not possess the technology or ability to travel underwater to Atlantis and they also knew they would not be able to penetrate its shield due to the fact they had submerged the city which reduced the potency of their weapons.

There would of been no physical signs that the Ancients had left so they probably continued bombarding it for many years and then gave up, probably sending a scout ship or two by every now and then to make sure the city remained where it was on the floor of the ocean. They would of known the city was not destroyed because their sensors would of easily detected it, even under the water.

Not to mention the fact that the Wraith probably thought the Ancients would just starve to death down there, I mean how many years could they survive with diminishing supplies, not to mention supplies that would of already been diminished due to the war effort, don't forget the Ancients were essentially human. They knew they had won, for all intents and purposes the Wraith knew this because the city never returned to the surface. And I guess after a while they probably even stopped sending scouts by Lantea to look for it.
      I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

The bit about sinking Atlantis and the war just stops has always bugged me too....

I can just imagine one minute 60 odd hives are pounding Atlantis and then the next minute 'pooooofff its gone' and a bunch of wraith sitting around thinking "Ok now what....um how about we head off and get some lunch and then start an indoor cricket team?"

Just another one of the million odd things that could have been explained in a touch more detail had there been 5hr long episodes and 29 seasons of SG1 and SGA
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not completely convinced that any damage could be done to their shields that far under. But, beyond that, I got the impression that the Wraith thought Atlantis was destroyed (even the Asurans thought it was gone). So I wonder if they thought the Ancients sunk the city with the intention of destroying it in a way that would prevent the Wraith from getting their hands on the reckage. With the gate eventually being disabled and their sensors perhaps not being able to detect the city that far underwater, they may have come to believe that was the case. They could've kept firing at where the Ancients sank the city, but with possibly no way of knowing if they were doing any damage and them no longer being able to establish a connection to the gate, they could have eventually given up. Or something along those lines happened, but instead of the Ancients simply taking the city straight down, they took it down and off to the side, so the Wraith couldn't even damage it by firing at the last known location. Meanwhile, it makes sense they wouldn't be able to find it, given how difficult it was for Atlantis to find the drilling platform - They had to fly around the general area while hoping to get close enough to where the jumper's sensors would pick it up (which was also the case with the jumper Mckay became trapped in - Sheppard and Zelenka were able to use their jumper's sensors to see the status of Mckay's jumper once they got close, but before then they had to search for it based on an estimation of where it would be).

Comment

If you were shelling Manhattan and it sunk wouldn't you stop shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by FurthestLocutus View Post
              If you were shelling Manhattan and it sunk wouldn't you stop shooting?
              haha, yes i would stop! Manhatten doesn't have shields... and is built on land (as oppossed to atlantis's being entirely manufactured... including its bottom) - i would think Manhatten sinking would be "most peculiar" and probably worth looking into... not to mention that shells (and practically all other types of projections designed for use on the surface) barely penetrate water (i think the myth busters experiemented with whether water really can stop bullets a while ago - they found that generally bullets are eithier stopped by the water (if they are now powerful enough), or ripped apart when hitting the water (if they are powerful enough to keep going) - and can normally only penetrate up to a maximum of 1.5metres or something like that)

Comment

My thoughts on this are simply that Atlantis could have been cloaked for a period of time until the Wraith started hibernation. Then, there would be no further use for the cloak, so it was disengaged using a kind of "sleep" function, as is found on TVs. It would make sense that the time to hibernation could be calculated by some of the Ancients scientists.
                ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                  this question is born from the
                  "Why didn't the ancients fly atlantis back to MW?" Thread which can be found here
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...52#post9763152

My question is, assuming it was perfectly logical for the ancients to leave atlantis where it was, why did the wraith just leave it there?

why didnt they blast it to hell. i mean 2 hive ships attacked atlantis in the episode "the seige" and one zpm would have lasted a day or something.

No way would 3 zpm last insanely long even with atlantis being under water. so they could have destroyed atlantis, why didn't they?

and why didn't they try to claim it as thier own, or steal the lantean technology?
                  I've always wondered this myself. Even in the flashbacks we see of the seige itself they don't shoot at the shield at all. I don't buy the idea that their weapons are going to be blocked by the water. The water wasn't even deep enough to block the sunlight from getting to the bottem so the idea that it's going to block giant spaceguns of doom that are militarily viable in a setting that throws 1000+ megaton nukes around is pretty retarded.

I know that is apparently the official reason that I've heard though so I guess we just have to write that part of it off to more "didn't do the research or actually think about this" levels of effort on the part of the usual suspects. Either that or we can pin it all on the FX team and assume that the city was actually intended to be a lot deeper than the fx showed, like challenger deep, deep. Over 10 km of water probably would block even extremely powerful energy weapons.

As far as why the Wraith didn't keep trying to break into it, redirct asteroids into it, or generally do everything in their power to destroy it in the intervening 10,000 years between the end of the war and when the team arrived... see explanation 1 again. Or if you're feeling in a generous mood and don't mind some of the usual necessary helping of fanon to plug the holes in the story, then assume it's because some sort of civil war broke out between the Wraith factions over their rapidly dwindling food supply and the seige fleet broke up to stake out and defend the territorial feeding grounds they still hold today.

Comment

I'm fairly certain that light is a lot different to giant spacegun balls of plasma or whatever it is. Not saying that it would stop them completely but it would certainly slow them down. Think about the dissipation that would occur.

Personally i just think they didn't add the effects in to signify them getting hit by wraith weapons even while underwater. It was a simple thing someone probably forgot. It is a TV show afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by Canonfodder View Post
                      I'm fairly certain that light is a lot different to giant spacegun balls of plasma or whatever it is. Not saying that it would stop them completely but it would certainly slow them down. Think about the dissipation that would occur.

Personally i just think they didn't add the effects in to signify them getting hit by wraith weapons even while underwater. It was a simple thing someone probably forgot. It is a TV show afterall.
                      The thing with the light just establishes that the water wasn't very deep. Once you get to a certain depth it's totally dark. It wasn't totally dark around sunken atlantis though so that puts a limit on how deep it could be.

I'm inclinded to think that was just an fx liberty though. If they'd made it realistically dark you wouldn't have been able to see the city at all except for parts of it that had their own lights.

I personally think that could have been kind of cool, keep it a mystery until it surfaces and all, but evidently that's not what they wanted to go with.

Comment

Working...
                      X