This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions

#1. Why did the Ancients leave all the puddle jumpers behind in Atlantis. In "Before I Sleep" we see the Lanteans walking through the stargate back to Earth. Now from I remember there was nothing "ancient" for them to go back to. All the peoples of the MW were primitive at the time and well they apparently never left anything on Earth except the Ancient outpost. And at the time they returned the Stargate was in the Arctic and we never saw anything resembling construction there. So they what, walked back and setup tents? Also the puddle jumpers would have made carrying equipment and traveling much easier.

#2. Also in "Before I Sleep" we see the Ancients lose a transport in space to the Wraith. Why did the ancients not fire off any or all remaining drones to help that ship? The super hive was afraid of a drone attack from Earth so why could they not have done serious damage to the hives orbiting the planet to save that ship? They were leaving shortly after that, no reason to save them.

#3. Did the Ancients help develop the civilizations they spawned in Pegasus? The only sign of development of other civs that I remember is in Trinity. That world was developed but the Ancients also had an outpost there trying to develop that weapon. Why would they seed these planets and have interaction with all of them but not help them develop technologically? Had they done this the numbers game with the Wraith would have been drawn down significantly. Or do you think those races are in hiding and were the ones Repli-Weir spoke of? I suppose the Wraith could have wiped clean all remnants of past advanced civs. However, why would they leave Ancient material behind. They left the city next to Teyla's home village, the satellite, and many other things.

#4. In "Hide and Seek" Rodney finds the personal shield. Why did the Ancients not make hundreds if not thousands of these devices? If they had, then Ancients themselves could have simply walked into any Wraith occupied territory and shot the Wraith. Yes the shield would have been depleted eventually but if you send enough people in with these they can take out the enemy before that were too happen.

A possible answer to #4 is

With ZPMs, drones, personal shields, etc I think the reason the Ancients ultimately lost was actually the advancement of their technology. They concentrated so much on quality that maybe it took too long to build their systems and devices. Just as in WW2 with the Germans. They had the superior weapons but could not manufacture them in enough quanitity to combat the overwhelming numbers of simpler yet effective means of the Allies.

Originally posted by bungeeguy245 View Post
    #1. Why did the Ancients leave all the puddle jumpers behind in Atlantis. In "Before I Sleep" we see the Lanteans walking through the stargate back to Earth. Now from I remember there was nothing "ancient" for them to go back to. All the peoples of the MW were primitive at the time and well they apparently never left anything on Earth except the Ancient outpost. And at the time they returned the Stargate was in the Arctic and we never saw anything resembling construction there. So they what, walked back and setup tents? Also the puddle jumpers would have made carrying equipment and traveling much easier.

#2. Also in "Before I Sleep" we see the Ancients lose a transport in space to the Wraith. Why did the ancients not fire off any or all remaining drones to help that ship? The super hive was afraid of a drone attack from Earth so why could they not have done serious damage to the hives orbiting the planet to save that ship? They were leaving shortly after that, no reason to save them.

#3. Did the Ancients help develop the civilizations they spawned in Pegasus? The only sign of development of other civs that I remember is in Trinity. That world was developed but the Ancients also had an outpost there trying to develop that weapon. Why would they seed these planets and have interaction with all of them but not help them develop technologically? Had they done this the numbers game with the Wraith would have been drawn down significantly. Or do you think those races are in hiding and were the ones Repli-Weir spoke of? I suppose the Wraith could have wiped clean all remnants of past advanced civs. However, why would they leave Ancient material behind. They left the city next to Teyla's home village, the satellite, and many other things.

#4. In "Hide and Seek" Rodney finds the personal shield. Why did the Ancients not make hundreds if not thousands of these devices? If they had, then Ancients themselves could have simply walked into any Wraith occupied territory and shot the Wraith. Yes the shield would have been depleted eventually but if you send enough people in with these they can take out the enemy before that were too happen.

A possible answer to #4 is

With ZPMs, drones, personal shields, etc I think the reason the Ancients ultimately lost was actually the advancement of their technology. They concentrated so much on quality that maybe it took too long to build their systems and devices. Just as in WW2 with the Germans. They had the superior weapons but could not manufacture them in enough quanitity to combat the overwhelming numbers of simpler yet effective means of the Allies.
    1. They intended to return to Atlantis remember, therefore there was no need to take all the puddle jumpers with them. It is also possible that the Ancients did not want to take much of their advanced technology as to alert other possibly dangerous space faring races to their presence in the MW. Remember they were trying to escape conflict, in essence running away.

2. Remember in a later episode when they finally activated the chair with a mark 2 generator Mckay discovered the city was almost out of drones, I think it was one of the siege episodes when they first got the ZPM could be wrong. Probably not enough to do much damage to the Wraith fleet especially since the darts would of intercepted them. Why start something you can't finish? It would just aggravate your enemy further.

3. Do not forget the ancients were an arrogant people, they only really shared their technology with the other 3 races of the alliance. They wanted to remain superior to those around them, in "The Game" we see that many worlds were set up as social experiments and the ancients did in fact help these people. In essence the Ancients were powerful and wanted to remain such. Also why would you share technology with people who could one day use it against you?

4. During wars civilizations as seen on Earth are strained, resources to build such devices were probably in short supply. They probably did build heaps of them during the war but without resources to replace them, once depleted they were gone completely.

These are my answers, I hope they make sense and are of use to you.
    I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

I believe WraithHumor said everything that was important to say. The only thing I'd like to add is this, from the transcript of the episode The Siege (Part Two):

(John activates the chair, which lights up and reclines. Outside, the chair's weapons platform irises open and half a dozen energy drones fly out and head up into the sky, pursuing the Darts.)

Since the Ancients were the last ones who would have been able to fire the drones, we can assume there were not more drones left, when they left Atlantis.
      It took the Atlantis expedition almost a complete season to be able to resupply their drone storage. In epsiode fifteen, season two, The Tower Sheppard says at the end:
      SHEPPARD: We got the drones, we got a few Jumpers; I even got the girl.
      Sam: "You can´t be serious!"
      Jack: "What?"
      Daniel: "It´s the only way!"
      Jack: "What?"
      Sam: "Now, we agreed...!"
      Jack: "If I have to say "WHAT?" one more time, heads are gonna roll!"
      - - - - -
      Knight Rider S01E11
      KITT: Sarah, our father is dead.
      - - - - -
      Eureka S03E12
      Bismarck: This is madness.
      Fargo: This is Eureka!

Comment

Originally posted by nxcalibur View Post
        I believe WraithHumor said everything that was important to say. The only thing I'd like to add is this, from the transcript of the episode The Siege (Part Two):

(John activates the chair, which lights up and reclines. Outside, the chair's weapons platform irises open and half a dozen energy drones fly out and head up into the sky, pursuing the Darts.)

Since the Ancients were the last ones who would have been able to fire the drones, we can assume there were not more drones left, when they left Atlantis.
        It took the Atlantis expedition almost a complete season to be able to resupply their drone storage. In epsiode fifteen, season two, The Tower Sheppard says at the end:
        SHEPPARD: We got the drones, we got a few Jumpers; I even got the girl.
        Thanks for that, had a mental blank as to the exact episode
        I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Working...
        X