This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Atlantis plothole?

In the very first episode of atlantis, they gated in from the SGC..... why wasn't the shield up? The wraith knew what planet atlantis was on and therefore would be able to work out a gate address for it, so why didn't they dial in? I extremely doubt that the people of atlantis gave the wraith notice that they were leaving the galaxy so the wraith probably kept the planet under siege for quite a while after the ancients left, and they would have more then likely dialled the planet, even if they knew that they couldn't get past the shield, they would still dial in just to keep the ancients from dialling out and why wouldn't they send through a bomb or a few soldiers or something..

Granted Dr. Weir may have lowered the shield when she was in stasis rotating the ZPMs, but then the first time around the shield would have been up.

Wouldn't the ancients have set up a shield with a specific code for lowering it that they would transmit through when they planned to return?
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    In the very first episode of atlantis, they gated in from the SGC..... why wasn't the shield up? The wraith knew what planet atlantis was on and therefore would be able to work out a gate address for it, so why didn't they dial in? I extremely doubt that the people of atlantis gave the wraith notice that they were leaving the galaxy so the wraith probably kept the planet under siege for quite a while after the ancients left, and they would have more then likely dialled the planet, even if they knew that they couldn't get past the shield, they would still dial in just to keep the ancients from dialling out and why wouldn't they send through a bomb or a few soldiers or something..

Granted Dr. Weir may have lowered the shield when she was in stasis rotating the ZPMs, but then the first time around the shield would have been up.

Wouldn't the ancients have set up a shield with a specific code for lowering it that they would transmit through when they planned to return?

I don't remember for sure but I think it was stated somewhere that they blocked all of the inbound gate traveling except for Earth. So no need for the shield.
    You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Before I Sleep they stated that all other address were blocked
      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Besides that, they couldn't have raised the shield before they left as they were all a little busy going through the gate.

Comment

the only address that would have been allowed throught the gate is the earth adress which the wraith knew nuthing about

ATLANTIS FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
            Before I Sleep they stated that all other address were blocked
            I think what hes getting at is.... the "1st" time through this would not have been the case.... so why didn't the wriath check it out?

Then again from what i saw the wriath were never attacking the city directly just the ships in orbit..... did they know atlantis was even there? Did they think atlantis took off possibly cloaked already? The world may never know
            67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eliteaceman View Post
              I think what hes getting at is.... the "1st" time through this would not have been the case.... so why didn't the wriath check it out?

Then again from what i saw the wriath were never attacking the city directly just the ships in orbit..... did they know atlantis was even there? Did they think atlantis took off possibly cloaked already? The world may never know
              They had set the Stargate to only allow incomming wormholes from Earth the "1st" time as well.

Comment

Even if they wanted to raise the shield, their wasent enough power to raise it.

Comment

Janus made sure that only the Stargate on Earth could gate in to Atlantis. It stopped the Wraith from constantly dialling in to prevent Lanteans leaving. But the Wraith may not use that tactic when they are at war because they have never done it when we've been in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodNight View Post
                    Even if they wanted to raise the shield, their wasent enough power to raise it.
                    But of course there was plenty of power to keep an ocean back for 10000 years?

Comment

Weir could have activated the gates shield, she was the only person left on atlantis when it was abondened.

In Before I sleep it was Clearly stated that only earth could dial atantis so its not a plot whole, ands seeing as the ancients managed to only allow for earth to dial up the gate surely they would have put safeguards in place to have the shield lower

Comment

Originally posted by Sllimy View Post
                        They had set the Stargate to only allow incomming wormholes from Earth the "1st" time as well.
                        Exactly, the Ancients always thought they would come back, so leaving Earth as the only accepted incoming gate would make sense.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

^this

They blatently said in Before i Sleep that the atlantis dhd was set that ONLY Earth could dial it. Maybe if you payed attention instead of looking for plotholes..... >:-|

Comment

How about we all stay civil?

That last post would probably not make it through the Mod Filter when the new VS comes into play.

MajorClanger
                            GateWorld Moderator
                            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

The shield was up. But colapsed around the buildings into a form fiting glove to conserve power. Check the transcript.

Comment

Working...
                              X