Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skimpy Outfits - Did Stargate Atlantis Ever Use Them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    Yes and i suppose everything you do and wear is practical.
    I would never wear something that is highly impractical and limits movement to a combat situation or even to train for one! Training is key! If you don't train well enough, when it comes down to it, you might screw up and die.

Why would she wear something that does not allow her to move freely to sparring?! How is that not illogical and impractical?!

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
    Not practical for you but you cant speak for her culture or for her for that matter now can you. Some people do things wearing the craziest of outfits and they feel just fine doing so.
    Funny, Teyla is the only Athosian I've ever seen wearing something like that. Of course, we haven't seen that many young female Athosians.

Also, if it's a cultural thing, then the Athosians are wrong (and stupid) in doing it. It can be deadly. And the writers are wrong in writing it into the show as an Athosian cultural thing.

Face it, people. You can excuse her choice of battle outfits as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it's just the writers writing it in for titillation. Is is an Athosian custom to wear something which is anti-combat to combat? If it is, then it's still the writers' choice and they did it why? Titillation. Or can you come up with any other reason?

Comment

<mod snip>

Teyla doesn't wear that stuff to actual combat, but only for training, and she moves pretty freely in it; have you ever thought that, perhaps the added challenge of such a piece of clothing would enable her to fight even better in actual combat? Who knows what clothing she'll be wearing when she next face her enemy; it doesn't always happen in a battlefield.
      Last edited by TameFarrar; 22 December 2008, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        I would never wear something that is highly impractical and limits movement to a combat situation or even to train for one! Training is key! If you don't train well enough, when it comes down to it, you might screw up and die.

Why would she wear something that does not allow her to move freely to sparring?! How is that not illogical and impractical?!

Funny, Teyla is the only Athosian I've ever seen wearing something like that. Of course, we haven't seen that many young female Athosians.

Also, if it's a cultural thing, then the Athosians are wrong (and stupid) in doing it. It can be deadly. And the writers are wrong in writing it into the show as an Athosian cultural thing.

Face it, people. You can excuse her choice of battle outfits as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it's just the writers writing it in for titillation. Is is an Athosian custom to wear something which is anti-combat to combat? If it is, then it's still the writers' choice and they did it why? Titillation. Or can you come up with any other reason?
        Come back and tell us exactly how impractical it really is once you go and put one on yourself.
        sig by Cazzblade

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          <mod snip>

Teyla doesn't wear that stuff to actual combat, but only for training, and she moves pretty freely in it; have you ever thought that, perhaps the added challenge of such a piece of clothing would enable her to fight even better in actual combat? Who knows what clothing she'll be wearing when she next face her enemy; it doesn't always happen in a battlefield.
          Completey agree. FallenAngelII, that was TOTALY out of line. Insulting ANY culture (even if it's fictional) is wrong. Who knows? Maybe the skirt helps!!
          Last edited by TameFarrar; 22 December 2008, 06:37 PM.
          Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
          Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

<mod snip>
            Why? Certain parts of certain cultures can be wrong and stupid. Why can't they be? It used to be a part of Southern (States) American culture to own slaves and subsequently to discriminate against people of color. Was that not wrong and stupid?

It's part of Chinese culture to kill off their daughters. Is that not wrong and stupid? Why can't I call something wrong or stupid just because it's a part of a (fictional) culture?

<mod snip> Just because it's part of a culture does not mean it's beyond criticism.

Teyla doesn't wear that stuff to actual combat, but only for training, and she moves pretty freely in it; have you ever thought that, perhaps the added challenge of such a piece of clothing would enable her to fight even better in actual combat?
            Why would train in gear that is totally different from what you wear to actual combat? Wouldn't that make you unfamiliar with your combat gear? That can trip you up more than anything.

If you wear something that restricts your movement to combat training and then wear something that doesn't to actual combat, you might move too much when trying to do a maneuver, thus tripping yourself up.

Who knows what clothing she'll be wearing when she next face her enemy; it doesn't always happen in a battlefield.
            This is a valid argument. But then why is every other Athosian seen wearing combat-appropriate clothes when sparring (the few times we've seen it actually happen)?

Also, why we continously see her train in clothes like this instead of more "appropriate" gear? Furthermore, when training, you're trying to hone your skills, take it to the next level, become better.

Thus, you try to maximize your ability to move, to fight in order to figure out new and/or better ways to handle your in combat. This is why every single person on the show (save Teyla) wears combat-appropriate clothes when doing combat practice.
            Last edited by TameFarrar; 22 December 2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Folks,
              Lets remember that even when the discussion gets heated respect is not an option it is the rule and expected.

Thank You
              TameFarrar
              GateWorld Moderator
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Right. Sorry about that.

<mod snip>
                Why? Certain parts of certain cultures can be wrong and stupid. Why can't they be? It used to be a part of Southern (States) American culture to own slaves and subsequently to discriminate against people of color. Was that not wrong and stupid?

It's part of Chinese culture to kill off their daughters. Is that not wrong and stupid? Why can't I call something wrong or stupid just because it's a part of a (fictional) culture?

<mod snip> Just because it's part of a culture does not mean it's beyond criticism.
                Criticism and insults are different things. I saw insult ("stupid"?) where you meant criticism. It's that simple.

Why would train in gear that is totally different from what you wear to actual combat? Wouldn't that make you unfamiliar with your combat gear? That can trip you up more than anything.
                I'm fairly certain she's familiar with her combat gear.

And how do you know what'll trip her up; are you in the military? Do you speak from experience?

If you wear something that restricts your movement to combat training and then wear something that doesn't to actual combat, you might move too much when trying to do a maneuver, thus tripping yourself up.
                Again, seeing how Teyla moves, I don't think it restricts her movement as much as you think it does. Besides, it's about how she holds herself, not the clothes (otherwise she'd be useless in any other form of clothing, no?); the clothes only come in handy as obsticles to overcome. For instance, Teyla may train her reflexes with that skirt; she'll have to react a lot faster to get that away from opponents who may pull on it or something. Thus, when she's out in the field without that skirt, she can react to oncoming enemies faster. Just one example.

This is a valid argument. But then why is every other Athosian seen wearing combat-appropriate clothes when sparring (the few times we've seen it actually happen)?
                Have we seen any Athosian women spar? I'm honestly curious; I can't remember any off of the top of my head. For all we know they all wear such skirts when training or stick fighting.

Also, why we continously see her train in clothes like this instead of more "appropriate" gear? Furthermore, when training, you're trying to hone your skills, take it to the next level, become better.

Thus, you try to maximize your ability to move, to fight in order to figure out new and/or better ways to handle your in combat. This is why every single person on the show (save Teyla) wears combat-appropriate clothes when doing combat practice.
                Does her combat gear (a shirt, a jacket, and a vest) really seem moveable compared to a tight tank top? Heh, for all we know, the weight of her gear matches the tightness of our top in terms of moveability.

But to take this in a completely different direction, we're not even sure if what she does is "training". For all we know it's just exercise for her. I mean, we don't see much stick fighting in off-world combat situations these days, right?

Comment

<mod snip>

Would you rather Teyla wear nothing at all while training as that would mean she couldnt possibly trip over he clothes.

Comment

Criticism and insults are different things. I saw insult ("stupid"?) where you meant criticism. It's that simple.
                    And I cannot call it stupid (in your eyes, insulting it) just because it's a part of a culture? Why not, I ask?

I'm fairly certain she's familiar with her combat gear.
                    But why is she never seen training in it? Why is it that every time we see her training, it's in some skimpy-ish outfit? The writers wanting to titillate the male viewers, that's why. You can try to grasp for an in-verse answer as much as you want, but that's the real answer, at the end of the day.

And how do you know what'll trip her up; are you in the military? Do you speak from experience?
                    I know plenty of people who do martial arts and combat training of all kinds. I also know enough about it and possess enough logic and knowledge of how things work to know that that dress presents an unnecessary obstacle that very well could trip you up.

Again, seeing how Teyla moves, I don't think it restricts her movement as much as you think it does.
                    But it still restricts her movement.

For instance, Teyla may train her reflexes with that skirt; she'll have to react a lot faster to get that away from opponents who may pull on it or something.
                    Why not train in normal standard combat gear (for her)? That way, you will be able to react as fast as you possibly can and try to perfect that. Why put an arbitrary limit on yourself? And more importantly, in a real combat situation, you will not be familiar with how fast you can react if you are wearing something that isn't a restricting dress of some kind.

Thus, when she's out in the field without that skirt, she can react to oncoming enemies faster. Just one example.
                    Only she would not be familiar with her real limits when wearing actual combat gear (in her case, BDUs).

[QUOTE=PG15;9441810]Have we seen any Athosian women spar?[/quote9
                    No, only men. But that doesn't change the fact that all of them wore appropriate clothing. No arbitrary "obstacles".

Does her combat gear (a shirt, a jacket, and a vest) really seem moveable compared to a tight tank top? Heh, for all we know, the weight of her gear matches the tightness of our top in terms of moveability.
                    The vest is for protection against bullets. So it's practical. There are times when she's not wearing a vest, like, say, whenever she gets "surprised" into combat, like on Atlantis.

What is she normally wearing them? Oh, shirts and jackets (which allow for maximal movement).

Which, really, is what it comes down to. How many times have we ever seen her wear something like the that top and skirt combo? Oh, that's right, never. She wore that one ceremonial dress once, but outside of that, it's mostly not super-restricting tops and not skirts with whatevers that could very well trip you up!

Skirts are not appropriate combat gear. Skirts themselves limit movement and can get in the way, even if there's a slit in them. Teyla knows this. Teyla doesn't even wear skirts normally! Come to think of it, she pretty much never ever wears skirts outside of sparring!

So why put an arbitrary limit on yourself and get used to how to fight in something you never wear?

But to take this in a completely different direction, we're not even sure if what she does is "training". For all we know it's just exercise for her. I mean, we don't see much stick fighting in off-world combat situations these days, right?
                    Stick fighting is to train hand-to-hand combat in case you lose your weapons or a Wraith is in your face and shooting him is no longer an option. It also hones your reflexes and keeps your body strong (notably arms) and teaches you legwork.

It's just a means to an end. You don't necessarily train stick fighting just to get good with sticks.

Comment

What skirt are you talking about? I can't remember her wearing anything restrictive. Surely you don't mean this?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        What skirt are you talking about? I can't remember her wearing anything restrictive. Surely you don't mean this?

The top is tight and made out of what appears to be leather (at least parts of it). It doesn't look very bendy. She can't bend to the sides very well.

The skirt has a lot of stuff that's just hanging there for no reason. They can get stuck in things or people, people can pull on them, she can trip of them, they might get in the way while she's trying to move, take your pick.

The top, not that bad. The skirt, bad. It makes no sense. Especially when we never ever see her wear anything like it outside of combat. Why practice how to fight in something you will never wear?

Comment

The top is tight and made out of what appears to be leather (at least parts of it). It doesn't look very bendy. She can't bend to the sides very well.

The skirt has a lot of stuff that's just hanging there for no reason. They can get stuck in things or people, people can pull on them, she can trip of them, they might get in the way while she's trying to move, take your pick.

The top, not that bad. The skirt, bad. It makes no sense. Especially when we never ever see her wear anything like it outside of combat. Why practice how to fight in something you will never wear?
                          So i ask again. Would you rather she fight naked? That way she wouldnt have any clothes to get in the way.

Comment

Maybe because it's very unrestricting but also covers her up? I don't see the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                              So i ask again. Would you rather she fight naked? That way she wouldnt have any clothes to get in the way.
                              No. I'd rather she fight in clothes that are fit for combat... like any other person on Atlantis.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Maybe because it's very unrestricting but also covers her up? I don't see the problem.
                              I'm sorry, have we or have we not established that the skirt is not "unrestricting" (there are parts of it hanging that can be thrown back and forth and wrapped around her legs or whatever, or get snagged in things or people)?

You cannot possibly think this is better than, say, pants.

Comment

I'm sorry, have we or have we not established that the skirt is not"unrestricting" (there are parts of it hanging that can be thrown back and forth and wrapped around her legs or whatever, or get snagged in things or people)?
                                You can't be serious. The idea that those parts are going cause a problem is ridiculous, wrapping round her legs? LOL! What she's wearing is practical, while also showing off a bit of her culture. You're creating a problem where there isn't one.

Comment

Working...
                                X